Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

2020 has come and went and still no fucking shopping cart :lol:
Buying more than one game at a time indicates you have too much free time and lowers your social credit score. Tim knows this and protects the gamers by not including a shopping cart, because Tim and Epic Games are on the side of the consumer!

Perkel

Arcane
They will probably add it right after they will add Clippy as interactive help and login with AOL account, i heard they will be also switching their downloader for Khazza.

Fishy

Savant
Shopping carts have been proven to reduce the conversion rate (% of intent to buy which converts into an actual purchase) because those extra steps between "adding to cart" and paying give the brain a lot of time to think things over. There's a reason why Amazon pushed the one-click shopping. The less steps involved, the more you sell, impulse purchase is not a myth.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOG exists, so Steam definitely doesn't have full monopoly. As for free games, hey, they are free, I can share the account with friends. Epic just doesn't offer anything else to make it worthwhile to spend actual money there. The free games are really quite amazing depending on context. Gaming is already probably the cheapest hobby there is, and this makes it so that gamers on an extremely tight budget can have access to non-shareware games without pirating. I'm not entirely sure what will happen to them when Epic inevitably bankrupts, though.

Venser

Erudite
GOG exists, so Steam definitely doesn't have full monopoly. As for free games, hey, they are free, I can share the account with friends. Epic just doesn't offer anything else to make it worthwhile to spend actual money there. The free games are really quite amazing depending on context. Gaming is already probably the cheapest hobby there is, and this makes it so that gamers on an extremely tight budget can have access to non-shareware games without pirating. I'm not entirely sure what will happen to them when Epic inevitably bankrupts, though.

Well they did bring some console exclusives to PC and they financed a couple of game studios. Diabotical got released with Epic's help and they provided annual esports prize money as well. The price was their exclusivity but who knows if the game would even come out without it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well they did bring some console exclusives to PC and they financed a couple of game studios. Diabotical did get released with Epic's help and they provided annual esports money as well. The price was their exclusivity but who knows if the game would even come out without it.
That's great, but where's the part where Epic actually makes money rather than giving it away?

Venser

Erudite
That's great, but where's the part where Epic actually makes money rather than giving it away?

Fortnite.
They have to lose tons of money just to bring in customers and break the monopoly. Then they can start profiting from the store. Don't expect free games to go on forever. It's a common tactic, gog was doing it in the beginning too, just not at the same scale.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shopping carts have been proven to reduce the conversion rate (% of intent to buy which converts into an actual purchase) because those extra steps between "adding to cart" and paying give the brain a lot of time to think things over. There's a reason why Amazon pushed the one-click shopping. The less steps involved, the more you sell, impulse purchase is not a myth.
Is it possible it's reverse for some people? Because I realized I impulse bought a lot of multiple things at once. The last time I bought something seperate was Death Stranding in August and Beautiful Desolation in Feb. For Steam I can put stuffs into the cart, turn it off and do something else, then next day coming back and those stuffs are still in the cart. For Epic, I can click purchase something to check out the price after coupon discount, then turn it off, then I completely forget about what I was going to buy.

Meanwhile I'm here debating whether I should buy The Pathless for 6 dollars. Honestly I found a platform having a built-in wallet system makes it easier to impulse buy rather than... the lack of shopping cart.
2behGEv.png

XsnyTTD.png

WnBv9vr.png

hwu9R3v.png

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
Is it possible it's reverse for some people? Because I realized I impulse bought a lot of multiple things at once. The last time I bought something seperate was Death Stranding in August and Beautiful Desolation in Feb. For Steam I can put stuffs into the cart, turn it off and do something else, then next day coming back and those stuffs are still in the cart. For Epic, I can click purchase something to check out the price after coupon discount, then turn it off, then I completely forget about what I was going to buy.

Meanwhile I'm here debating whether I should buy The Pathless for 6 dollars. Honestly I found a platform having a built-in wallet system makes it easier to impulse buy rather than... the lack of shopping cart.
2behGEv.png

XsnyTTD.png

WnBv9vr.png

hwu9R3v.png

Obviously it won't apply to everyone, but it's a clear behaviour observed from web analytics (where people click on the site, how long they spend on each screen, etc.). In your case, one could argue that it's not so much the shopping cart as the reminder. Note how for example Amazon prominently shows the stuff you looked at the last time: even if it's not in your cart, it's pushed in front of you to remind you that you were thinking about it. Ultimately, it's not a perfect science, but the dominant trend is clear: every step in the purchase process reduces your conversion rate, so reducing the number of steps is worth it, even if it costs you some other sales.

That's why in the case of Epic, I'm convinced that's the only reason for the lack of cart/multibuy feature. They could have that implemented overnight if they wanted to, it's not exactly rocket science.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
That's why in the case of Epic, I'm convinced that's the only reason for the lack of cart/multibuy feature. They could have that implemented overnight if they wanted to, it's not exactly rocket science.

Especially considering that Unreal Marketplace (which has exactly the same purchase UI with EGS) had shopping cart for years.

Dexter

Arcane
I usually buy in Bulk, this includes Amazon and physical products too, less parcels are less hassle, going through the ordering process several times would also be annoying:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Gaming forums, where we argue that full-priced video games being given away for free are bad for you.
What full-priced games are they giving away for free? They're currently giving away Defense Grid, a 2008 game regularly sold for just above 1€ and given away for free before. It's without the DLC like with the other old, and also previously given away for free on other places, Cities Skylines.

Turns out, they don't actually get much out of it so it's old games without DLC. Very generous and kind of them. Praise Timothy and Epic for saving PC gaming for the big bad Steam.

Well they did bring some console exclusives to PC and they financed a couple of game studios. Diabotical got released with Epic's help and they provided annual esports prize money as well. The price was their exclusivity but who knows if the game would even come out without it.
Akshually, at least some of those games were in the process of being ported and Epic just bought exclusivity.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, their model seems to be giving away the base game and expecting you to buy DLC.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Discount + coupon makes their sales superior to Steam, at least in Brazil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom