Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG?

Is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG™?

• Total voters

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
You can express almost no agency as V, and what few choices you do have barely affects the narrative. RPGs are in a very sorry state when people are arguing whether or not a movie-game is an RPG. This shit could've been cooked up by Quantic Dream. Actually, that's an insult to Quantic Dream. Cyberpunk is even more railroady.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact that W3 is GOTY 2015 here does not make it a fact that it is an RPG
Can it be a Codex RPGOTY without being an RPG?

A redundant question, obviously it can. You are using circular logic.

EDIT:

How is a vote result a "subjective measurement"?
It is not a subjective measurement. Opinions, which are subjective, are what is measured here though. The polls result are factual, but you can not logically conclude that therefore the game is an RPG as that is based on subjective opinions. That can't be that hard can it?

Factual: W3 is RPGOTY 2015
not-factual: We know because of that, that it is an RPG.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

EDIT:

It is not a subjective measurement. Opinions, which are subjective, are what is measured here though. The polls result are factual, but you can not logically conclude that therefore the game is an RPG as that is based on subjective opinions. That can't be that hard can it?
Fine by me. Now, if a non-RPG was Codex RPGOTY 2015, why wouldn't another non-RPG contest the same prize in 2020?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

EDIT:

Fine by me. Now, if a non-RPG was Codex RPGOTY 2015, why wouldn't another non-RPG contest the same prize in 2020?
Also funny that even if we agree that none of them are RPGs, CP2077 has more RPG elements in it than TW3.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

EDIT:

I would not say that it should not. I think your argument is wrong on it's own merit. I am pretty much in favor of CP contesting in the GOTY polls and If it wins that is fine by me, it would just not be my choice.

I have not voiced that i believe that it should be excluded, and if that is your position thats fine but your argument is still circular and incoherent. For me, Cyberpunk is not an RPG this seems to be different for other people, so hell if i care if you think that it is.

res11

Novice
The Witcher 3 was not only voted GOTY 2015 but also #15 on the Codex list of all time top 101 PC RPGs, which was only a year ago. Maybe fix your broken site if you are gonna have non-RPGs become eligible for ALL TIME greatest RPG lists.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Witcher 3 was not only voted GOTY 2015 but also #15 on the Codex list of all time top 101 PC RPGs, which was only a year ago. Maybe fix your broken site if you are gonna have non-RPGs become eligible for ALL TIME greatest RPG lists.
Damn, just when I had believed it's not an RPG after all.

For the record, I didn't vote for Witcher 3 in 2015 and wouldn't vote for CP for RPGOTY. So I don't know what to tell you about the dumbfucks who call me a fanboy.

Alexios

Augur
Patron

Also funny that even if we agree that none of them are RPGs, CP2077 has more RPG elements in it than TW3.

Ah yes the classic retard fanboy practice of trashing the developer's previous title to build up the current steaming pile of shit. Bethesda fanfags did the same thing with Oblivion, and then Skyrim after it. Your act is stale.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
felipepepepepe likes to be as incloosive as possible, forgetting that this is RPGCodex and not Retardera.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
felipepepepepe likes to be as incloosive as possible, forgetting that this is RPGCodex and not Retardera.
He merely gives people options. It's not his fault democracy fails occasionally.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
He merely gives people options. It's not his fault democracy fails occasionally.
I don't think it's unreasonable to disqualify non-RPGs from an RPG poll.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Ah yes the classic retard fanboy practice of trashing the developer's previous title to build up the current steaming pile of shit. Bethesda fanfags did the same thing with Oblivion, and then Skyrim after it. Your act is stale.
Your brain is stale. You are welcome to find a post by me where I say Witcher 3 is a) an RPG or b) a good RPG.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has RPG elements, though.

Not exactly a ton of them, but enough to be called an Action-RPG.
Now, you could exclude all non-pure RPGs, but then you'd probably struggle to make a list of any size...

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I don't think it's reasonable to give one man the power to define what counts as an RPG and what doesn't contrary to the will of the people.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't think it's reasonable to give one man the power to define what counts as an RPG and what doesn't contrary to the will of the people.
You're right. That is too much power for one man to wield.

Alexios

Augur
Patron

Your brain is stale. You are welcome to find a post by me where I say Witcher 3 is a) an RPG or b) a good RPG.
You wouldn't be trashing Witcher 3 if it wasn't convenient to your hilariously pathetic attempt to build up Cybpershit. Go choke on a dildo.

It's better if the list is as incloosive as possible and has everything with rpg elements in it, so it doesn't look like the person making the list is trying to nudge the votes toward a certain result. ("you choices are dungeon of naheulbeuk or knights of the chalice 2")

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
It's better if the list is as incloosive as possible and has everything with rpg elements in it, so it doesn't look like the person making the list is trying to nudge the votes toward a certain result. ("you choices are dungeon of naheulbeuk or knights of the chalice 2")
Besides, how would people be able to shit on Codexians for having shit taste if that shit taste isn't out in the open?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom