Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

Unchecking "Raging Barbarians" option at game start would certainly be more convenient way than downloading the source code, setting up build environment, getting familiar with the code base and so on. :M

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
so feature complete also means the tech discovery/research art is in?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Unchecking "Raging Barbarians" option at game start would certainly be more convenient way than downloading the source code, setting up build environment, getting familiar with the code base and so on. :M

What's funny is that I've been playing "Old World" a lot lately, and "Raging Barbarians" is my go-to option.

Anyway, in Beta 1.11 you can now turn off Random Events.

index.php

Arcane
B-but I dont want to turn off random events, they're fun. I just want weaker space monsters.:(

rezaf

Cipher
B-but I dont want to turn off random events, they're fun. I just want weaker space monsters.:(

I feel your pain. After being forced to abandon my third game in a row, I went through the trouble of recompiling me a version of the game with a space crystal that still does the same amount of damage, but is a litleral glass cannon and will blow up if looked at funny.

3 others

Scholar
Been playing this on and off this month. I've really enjoyed my time with the game, you've done a great job with it: being mostly faithful to an all-time elegant design and adding your own flavor in places. Portraying the Klackon hive-mind as a singular "I" was especially a nice touch (your artist also did a great job with their spy).

Some beta notes follow. Sorry for not posting these on Reddit as I don't use the site:

0) Most important thing first. The AI doesn't feel "bloodthirsty" enough, and doesn't really do warfare effectively. Usually their war declarations result in little more than a small skirmisher fleet entering 1 or 2 star systems and then getting repelled (despite possibly having a significant fleet strength advantage), or managing to conquer the star system they're interested in. After that it's Phony War all the way so they make no further attempts to gain systems. Now, due to the defensive nature of midgame MOO1, this may be a fully reasonable decision but the AI seems REALLY passive after its first attack and REALLY unwilling to press any advantages it might have. I can leave a front very lightly guarded against someone I'm in war with to attend some other war declaration elsewhere and still the AI makes no attempts to advance or capture any systems.

This seems to apply to AI-AI conflicts as well. The systems different races colonize tend to stay with their owners even though they might be at war for a century. At most, a few systems might change hands.

There was one exception to this when the expansion phase was over everywhere and Meklars on Hardest difficulty made a series of concerted efforts to conquer my bridgehead planet between our core worlds. They actually succeeded while I mopped up a few of their fringe planets and we had many turns of glorious galactic scale warfare going on. Then they won a Council victory and I had no interest in trying out the Final War scenario since you had released a new version of the JAR. So no idea if Meklars might have extended their warring efforts after they secured their initial objective.

1) The AI has a tendency to create functionally identical ships with 2 separate designs. Hard to see any purpose for this:
LC46ikA.jpg

2) The AI also has a tendency to scrap <90% of its fleet strength at once. The Silicoid in this screenshot were not warring with anyone. They just got bored with their designs apparently:
X3Or0VU.jpg

3) The distance estimator map mode should round decimals upwards. I had this situation occur where a 4,0 ly star required the 5 parsec fuel cell technology:

XEqBNvq.jpg

4) I think MOO1 didn't have these either but how about more fleet selection options when deploying? I might want to split my 1200 small ships to 2 fleets, for example, and the only way to do this is to click-click-click 1-increment arrows. My suggestions would be a "select half" option and a 10-ship increment with right-click, or something similar.

5) The ambassador texts seem occasionally mixing up who's speaking to whom. When accepting a trade pact, the alien ambassador says something like "The [player civ] eagerly await the goods from [alien civ]"

6) It's odd to be in a war with someone, have the relations jump up to affable+ due to bombing a shared enemy, and have an audience with their ambassador who refers to me as a dear friend etc. yet refuses to sign a peace treaty. Ambassadors from warring races should give a neutral-at-best greeting.

7) The ECO slider doesn't seem to follow the CLEAN level quite right. In the early game when factories are being built, the amount required to keep the planet CLEAN usually decreases as the factory capacity is filled but the slider keeps missing this. I think earlier versions didn't have this issue.

8) Missiles could show a similar MISS text as the beams do, if none of them hit.

9) Anti-matter torpedoes are being shot every turn.

10) If all 6 ship slots are full, I'd still like to have the option to start designing a new ship to see what I can fit in with the current tech without having to scrap an existing ship.

11) Why keep the inconsequential Size & Power visible in the ship designer main view and keep the most important Space attribute hidden in the item selection menus? Do the Size & Power even have any effect in ship cost or anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lagi

Savant
3 others provide great feedback, esp. point 11. I have no grasp what the size and power is about. All that matters for me is a Space, can I squeeze one more laser?

what bothers me is the 3x tabs that i have to check in Colony menu.

Cannot Colony looks like that? 1 table, No clicking. There is still space for "notes" (and resources, but I would just put "Ultra poor" as predefine note) . Fraction like "20 / 100" for pop and factories would be very helpful.
JbvOAEU.png

edit:

the space monsters are nice balancing factor to the game.

The crystal so far eat 2x of my planets, for first planet I try to stop him, and he also destroy one of my fleet. Which allow to survive to other races I was at war with.

Last edited:

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
The complaint did come up in the codex, but I got a lot of grief for it in the subreddit as well. Everyone liked the monsters, but many didn't like getting flattened by them (which was an intentional design decision). They were too strong. They came out too early. They always targeted me.

Now if you want to snowball your 4X empire you can do so without interference from the monsters. However, I do want to point out that there's a contingent of players whose general reply to this now is to learn how to build ships effectively to defeat them. In fact, a few of the most masochistic have suggested that the monsters should be made more difficult. I'm not in that camp but there will be more monsters in the sequel that require different tactics to defeat.

Also, for the truly desperate, you can now completely abandon colonies when faced with an unstoppable onslaught of space monsters.

index.php

Arcane
I'm really liking all the new features I've seen so far :) Thanks Ray, and Merry Christmas!

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
changelog said:
You can exclude the space monsters from the random events
:hero:

4r6fez.jpg

I really hate to break this news, but it turns out there was a bug that was preventing the "No Monsters" option from working. It has been fixed in the 2.03 update and my apologies for anyone who has unexpectedly had monsters rampage through their systems against their will.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Lots of good stuff added to ROTP since the last post here. I recently put out a "Last Call" on the subreddit for user-requested features and improvements and added about 40 items to my "to do" list. I've been very busy and lots of changes have been in work. For example, a much-requested full-screen mode was added a few weeks ago.

Full list of changes and fixes since the Beta 2 release on Christmas are listed here: https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/l5udte/beta_211_first_pass_at_last_call_requests/

TigerKnee

Arcane
I've been meaning to ask but I've listened to your interview where you talked about RoTP2 but still haven't quite grasped the idea on whether it's going to still be built on a MOO1 framework or changing to either a MOO2 framework (or maybe a completely new framework on its own?)

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I've been meaning to ask but I've listened to your interview where you talked about RoTP2 but still haven't quite grasped the idea on whether it's going to still be built on a MOO1 framework or changing to either a MOO2 framework (or maybe a completely new framework on its own?)

ROTP 2 will be MOO1+. There will be additional subsystems (heroes, culture, and resources) with races to specialize in them. In addition, piracy is going to become another racial subsystem instead of a random event, with the Mrrshan specializing in that. There will be 5 new races, total. Large scale activities like colonizing and terraforming planets will be imperial projects. You won't build colony ships, for example. You will spend money out of your treasury to pay for the launching of colonies from System A to System B.

There will be a supply model where you will need to harvest resources in systems and funnel them to where they are needed. While this will add a layer of depth, the controls for it will be streamlined like so much has already been done in ROTP. Terraforming planets will no longer be a single track. You will have different options on how to terraform planets to suit different needs. For example, terraforming a world for large-scale mining will be different than terraforming a world intended for large populations. Not every world can become a maximized gaia planet so those that can will feel more valuable. In addition, you will make decisions about planets based on your strategic needs. You may want a centralized planet for distributing food to hostile worlds, but you will want trade systems near your borders.

And, of course, ROTP 2 is "Return of the Precursors" so you will have one or both of the precursor races showing up and trying to do things. Since the game's backstory will be altered by RNG, the return of the precursors will not be the same thing every game.

There will be people who will not like the additional depth in ROTP2. Which is fine because ROTP isn't going anywhere.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
piracy is going to become another racial subsystem instead of a random event, with the Mrrshan specializing in that

I can't anticipate how the rest of your ideas will turn out, but as for this one, it's about time my kitties got to be a serious threat.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I can't anticipate how the rest of your ideas will turn out, but as for this one, it's about time my kitties got to be a serious threat.

Their racial ability is basically going to encourage the Mrrshan player to fight constantly. How serious that threat turns out to be remains to be seen. The main goal is to create an incentive to play the race in a completely different fashion than the other races

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom