Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Perkel

Arcane
The only combination I'm not sure of is doing Velen and then going to Skellige without finding Dandelion. I wonder how that plays out.

Game is prepared for any options, i remember i did W3EE playtrough and went for skelling first without Baron story so when i noticed Uma Geralt commented on it that he saw it with Yennefer. Same with Blood and Wine i think there was a moment in one of sidequests where Geralt commented about Ciri not being found yet. Hell even Hearts of Stone ending if you didn't finish Odim can give you reward in form of saying how to get best ending with Ciri.

Though each of those regions are pretty self contained without much mixing.

I mean, I really like some of the vehicles: the coyote, the gecko, caliburn, the emperor, the nazare bike, the aerondith.

Cars and guns are highlight of 77 for when it comes to gameplay.

For most of guns there are for example two reload animations. One with empty mag and one with not empty mag. In some cases those can be intirely different not just small modification. I think AKlike gun is where V reloads normally when you empty you mag completely but does this neat quick release to front when there are still some bullets left. I also noticed that this gun had almost exactly the same recoil pattern as AK in CS probably easter egg considering guns were made and tuned by guy who was lead on CS.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's safe to assume that the lifepaths had most of their content cut, Tyranicon.

I've only just begun my first Nomad runthrough and a few little things I'd put down to 'You flew the Gullfire over Leningrad' type fluff make a whole lot more sense. So either Nomad is the canon route everything had to cut back to from the start or they ended up just bashing the other two starts to slot back into that 'welcome to Night City' cut scene.

Judging from V's apartment, and how they talk, I'm more inclined to say that Street Kid is the canon path. It's very jarring to have ex-corpo V talk like a street hustler (even though they are currently a street hustler, like what corpo worth their salt is just going around killing tyger claws like they were collecting bear asses or something?).

Also... what happened to corpo V's money?

Andhaira

Arcane
Okay just finished the game...took about 45 hours. Few thoughts:

1) Game, at least for me, was nowhere near as broken I keep hearing about.

That said there are plenty of hilariously ridiculous glitches. Mostly around cars glitching out, guns disappearing from hands, and stuff like that. Didn't happen all the time but def was a constant throughout the entire playthrough.

3) They fucked up the item system...way too much shit. They should of focused on the player buying weapons/armor/cyber/etc and instead of picking up 1000's of items and selling/dismantling and had the player focus more on selling all that shit for eddies, and the player having to find different stores (maybe driven by clan association) where they would buy and upgrade shit at. The entire game is just finding shit on the ground and dismantling and equip-ing the hodge-podge of shit you find.

5) Skill system was just okay. There's some decent keystones that help define your build but overall I think it was weak. I never really specialized (crafting, handguns, shotguns, rifles, body) and even though I never took any of those to their limit I could kill just fine with any weapon even with difficult enemies towards the end of the game.

:hmmm:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Judging from V's apartment, and how they talk, I'm more inclined to say that Street Kid is the canon path. It's very jarring to have ex-corpo V talk like a street hustler (even though they are currently a street hustler, like what corpo worth their salt is just going around killing tyger claws like they were collecting bear asses or something?).

Apartment's what happens as V is working with the Valentino's etc. with Jackie in the cut scene, isn't it? Street beginning does make a lot more sense than the corpo one, yeah, that's fair enough. Hadn't thought about the money in that corpo start. Jackie referencing the Nomad start as proof of how trustworthy he is the first time you meet him as corpo is on that boundary between very clever and error.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't remember any other game that had so many so hilarious bugs. This is probably why the devs haven't been able to patch it on time - every time they tried they kept dying out of laughter.

Game doesn't really have that many bugs. It is that there are shitload of people who play it literally breaking records left and right and we live in age where everyone streams everything or records everything even on consoles you are one click away from recording highlight.

Those are mostly glitches though, something to do with asset/object collisions that break and cause a lot of stupid and funny shit.
Then there are genuine game-breaking bugs - my hands disappeared after doing one of the police sidequests and I had to reload.
The rest are related to stupid and under-developed AI - had a crowd squatting around my bike because a gun fired somewhere.
Police spawning is probably the worst offender though. It's completely non-sensical no matter how you look at it. It makes no sense from IRL logic, game design, story setting (it wouldn't be a crime-riddled society), and gameplay mechanics (there would be no need for me/V doing police sidequests to begin with).

Robber Baron

Savant
Her: It's not a date
Me:

20201221204437-1.jpg

Fredward

Scholar
Silverhand is a irredeemable narcissist, the only reason he becomes less so is because of the commingling of his brain with the less-of-an-asshole V. And even with that he only shifts his value from HARDCORE EDGY ROCKERBOY to selfless martyr hero
If he takes over V's body the chip'll probably continue the overwrite and return him to his asshole ways, the way he was when he was engramed.
Nah, it's just a typical character development arc.

On the face of it, but I wouldn't appreciate Johnny's writing as much as I do if I thought it was just that.

Johnny is an engram, the digitized copy of his brain at the time of being Soulkilled. Him getting slotted into V results in two material minds overlapping, Johhny's assholeness is tempered because V is less of an asshole and the 'redemption' arc is reducible to two minds contesting over the same grey matter wrt is and is not acceptable.

I'm not sure whether Johnny's redemption would even continue if V cedes his body but I'm not sure. Depends on whether the chip is still doing its work cuz if it is it'll continue to reshape the brain to Johnny's before he was killed, he'll be the same asshat he was in the flashbacks. Rogue's message to him seems to grok this too.

Ofc, this is all spitballing. Everything's at the whim of the writers regardless of the logic of the parameters they've laid out.

- The
Mikoshi
ending is actually the most hopeful ending (I also haven't played this ending yet tho so).

How so? The "best" ending is clearly Panam/Nomads, with V back in his body going through Arizona for a cure, with everyone pretty much taking it for granted. In the end credits Misty also pulls out a "Sun" tarot for V, basically confirming the "happily ever after" etc ending for him.

Whereas for Arasaka all you manage is to bring back Saburo, who is basically an equivalent of Soros, and helping Arasaka complete Secure Your Soul project, who then bar it behind an astronomical price tag, basically ensuring that the corrupt elites live forever. This ending is literally named "Devil" lmao.

I'll concede that it's the happiest ending if 'happily ever after' is six months, more or less. I know the nomads suggest they're gonna find a cure but how exactly? The game goes through pains to draw analogies between nomads and gypsies in terms of how they're treated, they have no societal inroads to get the kind of tech V would presumably need. And since this ending leads to Saul's death and Panam implies she's kinda swamped with responsibilities to the family V is probably gonna play neglected housewife till he keels over in the rust coloured dust.

Now my perspective on what a good ending is kinda depends on how you view the soul. And people here seem weirdly inclined to take that word for granted. I don't think the soul exists or if it does that it's causally impotent (mind/body problem) and I don't think anything in the game suggests otherwise or, that when it does, it does so inconsistently (Alt does, but inconsistently). So the only opportunity V has to live is as Arasaka's engram (caveats applying) and assuming there's no asspull which there 100% will be if there is post game dlc but w/e. What hope of resurrection? Non zero I'd say, especially if Takemura is still alive. Old Man Arasaka owes his continued existence directly to V without who Yorinobu would likely have killed Hanako and the cousin eventually for someone who values family above all else (supposedly) that's non-inconsequential debt. Arasaka and those connected to them, weirdly frankly I think the devs kinda drank their own cool aid and forgot to add this bit, never lies to V and never initiates aggression to him or his personally.

Anyway, I like Soros, I'm his subsidiary the GloboHomo.

He's an apex alpha male and an ultimate irreparable, literal Rocker badboy obviously. Even the game mentions it explicitly in his retrospections. The fact he doesn't "respect womyn" is enough in the grim future lmao.

From what I've seen from an English VO, Keanu's voice doesn't communicate it well at all, or at least as good as Michal Zebrowski does in the Best language.

Which makes sense for Alt since she seemed kinda like damaged goods for the brief bit we saw her but not for Rogue, especially not older Rogue but being dickmatized is a thing I guess.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

The game doesn't want V to be a corpo, or a nomad, or a street kid. It wants you to make V to be an Edgerunner. But it makes the Lifepaths be too inconsequential (you can't really leaverage your street kid or corpo connections in any meaningful way, and the storyline introduced in the lifepaths aren't properly closed, they just abruptly ended).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, sorry if this has been posted already. The drama goes on, the corpowar is near, guns of December:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...criticising-sony-for-removing-cyberpunk-2077/
CD Projekt Red boss likes tweets criticising Sony for removing Cyberpunk 2077
LIKED MESSAGES ALSO ASK WHY SONY HADN’T TAKEN SIMILAR ACTION AGAINST MARVEL’S AVENGERS

Adam Badowski, CD Projekt Red’s studio head, liked tweets on Friday criticising Sony for its decision to pull Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store.

Badowski, who is also Cyberpunk 2077’s game director, liked a total of seven replies to Sony’s announcement that Cyberpunk 2077 had been pulled from the PlayStation Store and full refunds offered to customers who purchased the game. [UPDATE: The likes have now been removed.]

Sony announced the unexpected move on Friday, following a turbulent week for CD Projekt Red centred around criticism of Cyberpunk 2077’s performance on last-gen consoles.

One message liked by the studio head called Sony’s decision “ridiculous”. “The game is playable and is actually a great game insofar as I know,” it reads. “Why not wait until they release some patches, updates, etc?”

Another user wrote: “Pulling the game from the store? that’s a cute ‘I am angry at a couple of refunds’ policy. The game works, but this been blown waayyyyy out of proportion by media needing some clicks.”

A third message liked by Badowski even criticised Marvel’s Avengers – another game which experienced a troubled launch – and asked why Sony hadn’t taken similar action against the Square Enix title.

Capture-4.jpg

“This is interesting, @PlayAvengers came out in a worse state then @CyberpunkGame and you guys did nothing. Avengers is effectively dead on all platforms making online play non existent, on top of bad code. Where are all those peoples refunds? They’re next right.”

Another message liked by Badowski encouraged Cyberpunk 2077 owners not to refund the game: “I’m telling everyone that bought the game. Don’t return it. CDPR will fix the mistakes. All of the Witcher games were ass when they first came out and look at them now.”

Officially, CD Projekt Red has said that the decision to remove Cyberpunk 2077 from sale on the PlayStation Store came following joint discussions with Sony. “We are working hard to bring Cyberpunk 2077 back to PlayStation Store as soon as possible,” it said this week.

TIMELINE: CYBERPUNK'S TROUBLED LAUNCH
However, the founder of games publisher No More Robots speculated on Friday that Sony’s action could have come in retaliation to CD Projekt’s recommendation that PS4 players seek refunds, which he said was against its policy.

“It’s very likely that the day CD Projekt started telling people to go ask for refunds, Sony were immediately in touch with them saying ‘we need to take your game off the store if you’re telling people to get refunds’, and CDPR have then slowly, reluctantly, agreed,” wrote No More Robots founder Mike Rose.

“I don’t know this for certain, of course, but it’s the likely turn of events. The big no-no here is CDPR telling players to a. Go against PS policy, and b. Overwhelming PS Support, without talking to PlayStation first.”

Earlier this week, CDPR released a statement claiming it would help those seeking a refund and encouraging customers to contact Sony and Microsoft.

Shortly after the statement was issued, many users reported that their Cyberpunk 2077 refund requests were being denied by PlayStation and Xbox. CD Projekt then revealed that it had no special agreement in place with Sony or Microsoft for Cyberpunk 2077 refunds.

On Friday, Microsoft announced it was expanding its refund policy to offer refunds to all users who purchased a digital version of Cyberpunk 2077.

Cyberpunk 2077 remains for sale on the Microsoft Store, but with a new notice warning of performance issues on last-gen consoles.

Cyberpunk 2077’s troubled launch has resulted in CD Projekt shares tumbling over the past week and wiping over $1 billion off the wealth of the company’s founders.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Apartment's what happens as V is working with the Valentino's etc. with Jackie in the cut scene, isn't it?

Oh, I was mostly commenting on how V's apartment looks like a street kid decorated it. Doesn't really have a nomad or corpo flair.

Theoretically the money your boss gave you was wasted on the mission.

But you never did that mission. You met with Jackie, some Arasaka thugs showed up, and then it was montage time.

Jackie literally says something like, "Hey, at least you get all that cash."

Maybe you have slightly higher starting money? Honestly I didn't check because money was so useless and easy to generate.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I personally doubt it. It's almost a given that we'll get expansions like Hearts of Stone which expand upon your playthrough rather than continue it postgame.

But it doesn't make sense as the main quest has a terrible urgency. It already creates a disconnect with the side quests, it would be worse with the expansions.
They drove themselves into a narrative corner, yeah. That said, I disagree with the urgency argument - without the meta knowledge a player can have of the ending paths, V is simply pursuing all possible leads and mingling in the underground world in the process. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin' and all that.

I do think it's a problem actually. If you're asking someone to immerse themselves in the role of someone who's got "a few weeks tops" (as Viktor says) there's no reason whatsoever for that character to piss about clearing open world outposts, they're going to be making a bee-line to try and solve their problem and live (I guess unless they welcome death, in which case they won't involve themselves with the MQ at all). And in fact with my first character that's what I did, I went directly from A to B. And there's a lot of coherence to the experience if you just follow only the main story and maybe whatever side-quests are directly under your nose around A and B.

Has any game that mixes open world with story ever gotten this right? Bethesda certainly didn't. Oblivion was hilarious in that regard.

If you have a story in a context that invites pottering about in the open world, then you simply can't have a story with urgency, it's oil and water. You can certainly have a story, and you can have a sense of urgency in parts of it, but as a whole story it has to be such that it has natural pauses in leveling chunks where there's no sense of urgency.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
And Alt is an AI that have access to beyond the wall interwebz that no one returns from.

Wow, how is that a problem? Just give the necessary blueprints and V can manufacture it through some manufacturing facility lmao

Facility? V can just make it with his hands in 2 seconds out of legendary upgrade- and item components :/

Edit: Ninja'ed by Perkel

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
You'd think a bunch of corp types could make a game with decent corp representation/lifepath and hot office ladies, but nah.

Takamori

Learned
Like not defending CDK at all, but Sony pulled a master jew here. Like F76 was released in a worst state and they didn't pull it, but due to CDK incentivizing the clients to pick the refund Sony decided to pull a jew.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Perkel

Arcane
You'd think a bunch of corp types could make a game with decent corp representation/lifepath and hot office ladies, but nah.

There are no Corpos in Poland. There is only Janusz Biznesu.

Lifepath: Janusz Biznesu

Starts game as owner of everything is 4.99 €$ Restaurant - To visit toilet you have to pay at least 5 €$

unknown.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom