Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best open world games of all time

What is the best open world game ever? Can select up to 5 choices.

• Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Gothic

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • Gothic 2

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Risen

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • ELEX

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Boiling Point

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Saint's Row IV

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

• Far Cry 3

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Fallout 3

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fallout 4

• Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Mad Max

• kingcomrade

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

• Might & Magic VII

• Might and Magic VIII

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

• Far Cry 2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Far Cry 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darklands

• Dying Light

• Kenshi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I suspect (hope) it's because of its genre, or the sheer disappointment to the fans, but MGS5 strikes me as very underrated here.

Falksi

Arcane
Out of all those above I'd only really class Morrowind & Gothic 2 as Open World, with a world worth exploring. The rest I'd have as sandbox games, where the world is an afterthought as a backdrop to things just to fuck about doing.
I don't really see much point to fucking around doing nothing in an empty sandbox if there's nothing to explore beyond copy-pasted content and an artstyle. Europe and Vancouver Canada churn these games out though. Nintendo at least bothered making something worth exploring in their games to an extent. Renderware GTA3 and Saints Row are the better of these kinds of games since they actually have tangible content to an extent.

It can be fun if the game-play mechanics are. Like in Saints Row 4 or Ass Creed: Origins.

Key to enjoying it for me is just sticking with what you like, and not getting dragged into the filler shit.

DraQ

Arcane
Voted
  • Morrowind (obviously)
  • Daggerfall (worthy choice)
  • STALKER:CoP (another good one)
And, as a protest against FO2 and FE2/FFE not being part of the list (and thus OP being a faggot), Skyrim (though, TBH it's pretty good IF properly modded) and kingcomrade to not waste my picks.
:rpgcodex:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's strange that Morrowind is getting all these votes, it's really not a very good game. Atrocious combat (unless you are into cheesing the braindead AI), really boring wikipedia style dialogue and tons of fetch quests, a world that feels dead (no NPC scheduling, no voice overs), really ugly graphics. Even the exploration, which some people will claim is great, is actually significantly harmed by the copy-pasting of similar types of places. 40 Daedric Shrines, 40 caves, 40 tombs, after a while it's all the same.
Buddy, you shill Breath of the Wild at every opportunity, a game with over 100 copy-pasted 5 minute dungeons.

Each mini-dungeon in BotW is fairly unique. Morronwind can only hope for that kind of uniqueness with its Daedric Shrines/Caves/Forts/Tombs. Literally same exact shit.

Ash

Arcane
Morrowind is a good game but definitely not peak open world. It's way too flawed for that. It showed so much potential for Elder Scrolls, potential that is all wasted now with Oblivion and Skyrim.

Far Cry Primal is the best Far Cry.

I will fight you in real life if you disagree.

With a club in one hand and a flint-tipped spear in the other.

Ehhhh...most of the game could be beat by hiding in a corner and spamming infinite owl instakill attacks. Game's stupid. I like that the game now almost has something resembling actual dungeons finally though (the caves could get close to sprawling sometimes).

Did you play on Survival mode where you can't do that with the owl?

Was not aware of this, came out in a patch at a later date. Still, I don't like ridiculous awesome buttons present at all, but I will extend leniency to the game if it has a "survival" mode now...which should have been the normal mode by the sounds of things but this is ubisoft/modern game design after all.

Falski said:
Assassins Creed: Origins - This is a fucking great game. Wondrous setting & atmosphere, with a great balance of gameplay elements. The stealth & combat are proper good fun, and - even though it is in no way an RPG what-so-ever - it still managers to be more of an RPG than the Witcher 3, as some of the tasks actually require you to think slightly, rather than hold a button to employ senses which do all the work for you.

Wait, what? I've been a proud hardcore basher of Popamole's Creed for over a decade now, some of the most braindead gameplay I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing, howveer my knowledge of the games ends with the first trilogy. Are the latest games actually good? Heavy doubt over here.

I like Falksi but he has terrible taste in games. Origins is as brain-dead as any other Ubisoft game. Prepare the checklists!

Derringer

Prophet
People keep saying the new Ubisoft Canadian taxpayer sweatshop games are BotW clones exploration and combat-wise but it doesn't look like they have much of any content in them just like every other Ubisoft game ever, just casually looking at longplays.

Ash

Arcane
I like Falksi but he has terrible taste in games. Origins is as brain-dead as any other Ubisoft game. Prepare the checklists!

Actually, Ubisoft has a scale. For example:

Assassin's Creed 1-3: for literal retards

Far Cry 2/3/4: dummy-friendly design, however combat doesn't boil down to awesome button instakill attacks with zero risk, skill or planning involved (though it has some of that in close combat, yet combat is primarily ranged), and navigation/movement in the game world is slightly more demanding and involving than holding the awesome button and the character does everything.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time: Actual cohesive game design. Nothing prestigious or hardcore, but meets acceptable standards. Ubisoft to my knowledge never went above this standard though, they're rather declined and always have been.

I am allergic to Ubisoft, their games are whatever the opposite of meaningful is. Just running around like a retard and engaging in pointless time-wasting.

BotW was absolutely nothing like Ubisoft games: it was a game with 100% hand placed content, a million of small pieces full of meaning.

Ash

Arcane
I am allergic to Ubisoft, their games are whatever the opposite of meaningful is. Just running around like a retard and engaging in pointless time-wasting..

For the most part, yes. But not every one of their games are like that is what I was trying to say. Most though. Especially in the past decade.

I will try BotW one day. I have high expectations for it based on some codexer's hype despite many many years of terrible 3D zeldas. I will be comparing it not only to the solidly designed 2D Zeldas (Link to the Past, Links Awakening), but to open world games, and ARPGs. that's what it has set itself up for.

Derringer

Prophet
It's a good game from what I've played, you can always try it and buy it if you like it, beats supporting taxpayer sweatshops. You can even turn off the cel-shading with hacks if you want to to that.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The main problem I have with open-world games is that they always feel like they could've been so much better, but due to budget, time and technical constraints they just aren't.

Theoretically, Fallout New Vegas is the best because it's the most in-depth open world game. Unfortunately, I didn't like the setting very much and the overall "brown" vibe of it. Despite all of it's flaws, I enjoyed Morrowind the most due to it's unique art direction and music. Roaming around tombs and daedric shrines, finding sunken ships - so much fun. Also, I loved how bitter and grumpy everyone was in that game.

We're watching you, sssscum.

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
Went for PS2 era Grand Theft Auto, although I will admit that the Just Cause games are a guilty pleasure just because of the over the top grappling hook physics.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gothic 1-2, ELEX, MMVI

I'd add Space Rangers if it was an option like some have mentionned.

Those who voted The Witcher 3 don't know shit; its open-world is one of the worst aspect of the game. The game can be enjoyable despite its open-world mechanics. It's all about storyfaggotry.

Falksi

Arcane

Ha, oh I don't disagree chap, Ass Creed is dumb sandbox fun if ever it was anything. But Witcher 3 is too, yet doesn't get recognized as such.

I'd have neither as an RPG, just more fantasy/old school GTA wanabees. Think is AC:O has gameplay mechanics to be able to carry that well, Witcher 3 doesn't.

AC:O is dumb, but it's good at being dumb. Witcher 3 is dumb, but not classed as dumb and not good at it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom