Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite heroes from HoMM3

Aemar

Arcane
Castle: Loynis (Prayer). Sir Mullich is overpowered (+2 speed), if not the strongest hero.
Necropolis: Isra (Necromancy). Having thousands of skeletons in the army sounds like a good plan. Galthran (Skeletons).
Dungeon: Gunnar (Logistics), also starts out with Tactics. Alamar (Resurrection).
Tower: Neela (Armorer), Solmyr (Chain Lightning), great choice for early game.
Fortress: Tazar (Armorer).
Stronghold: Crag Hack (Offense).
Inferno: Ayden (Intelligence). Marius (Demons).
Rampart: Kyrre (Logistics), also starts out with Archery. Elleshar (Intelligence).
Conflux: probably Monere (Psychic Elementals), also starts out with Offense and Logistics.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The best heroes are those with the COOLEST PORTRAITS. Honestly if you don't pick your hero by the coolness of his portrait, you are a big dummy.

Notable examples:

Castle: Christian
t8.png
and Adelaide
HPL011Cl.png

Negropolis: Sandro
HPL074Nc.png
and Galthran
HPL071Dk.png
(at least you got this one right)
Dungeon: Darkstorn
HPL095Wl.png
(the king of Heroes 3)
Tower: Astral
HPL040Wz.png

Fortress: Korbac
HPL117Bs.png
the lizardman CHAD
Stronghold: Shiva
HPL099Br.png
and Crag Hack
HPL102Br.png
(I mean who doesn't like Crag Hack)
Inferno: Axsis
HPL058Dm.png

Rampart: Elleshar
HPL026Dr.png
(another one you got right, amazingly)
Conflux: They are all kind of shit but Pasis
HPL000PL.png
and Monere
HPL004PL.png
are reasonably pimping.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I always start with a random hero or the hero chosen by the map-maker.
Using Tazar every time you play Fortress must get boring.

For secondaries, I like heroes with skills like Logistics, Scouting, Navigation and those that increase gold and resources.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The best heroes are those with the COOLEST PORTRAITS. Honestly if you don't pick your hero by the coolness of his portrait, you are a big dummy.

Notable examples:

Castle: Christian
t8.png
and Adelaide
HPL011Cl.png

Negropolis: Sandro
HPL074Nc.png
and Galthran
HPL071Dk.png
(at least you got this one right)
Dungeon: Darkstorn
HPL095Wl.png
(the king of Heroes 3)
Tower: Astral
HPL040Wz.png

Fortress: Korbac
HPL117Bs.png
the lizardman CHAD
Stronghold: Shiva
HPL099Br.png
and Crag Hack
HPL102Br.png
(I mean who doesn't like Crag Hack)
Inferno: Axsis
HPL058Dm.png

Rampart: Elleshar
HPL026Dr.png
(another one you got right, amazingly)
Conflux: They are all kind of shit but Pasis
HPL000PL.png
and Monere
HPL004PL.png
are reasonably pimping.

The correct sentiment but the wrong picks

Castle:
sylvia.jpg
Sylvia with her eyes full of scorn and disdain
Necropolis:
isra.jpg
Isra with her eyes full of... nothing, you can almost hear the wind blowing through her empty head, like a moan. Almost all of the Necropolis heroes look great, I really like Xsi but when the picture gets too big you notice her strange jaw
xsi.jpg
Shoutout to this guy from HotA that I hadn't seen before, I really like his predatory vibe
ranloo.jpg

Dungeon: It is easy to want to play any of the horned fellas but I prefer the slimy bois
geon.jpg
jaegar.jpg
and Jeddite
jeddite.jpg
looking dangerous and powerful
Tower: A lot of really good ones, but no one that stand out as one that I want to play, and I do not play Tower a whole lot so it's not important. The four genie ladies are all classy, and I can see Astral as one of their better ones too, but I think I like Theodorus the best
theodorus.jpg

Fortress: Korbac might look cooler on his own, but you can't beat the pair of Wystand & Broghild
wystan.jpg
broghild.jpg
these are my current all around favourites, I feel rowdy galloping around with these two. Mirlanda
mirlanda.jpg
is irresistible to me as a backup, it feels very right to ride around the marshes with her, she very much looks the type that would eat a child. I haven't played much with him but Tazar looks very fierce
tazar.jpg

Rampart: Elleshar might be right, I like how Gem stands out a bit though
gem.jpg

Inferno has a lot of good ones, which is sad because I don't like their creatures: Zydar (satanic rage)
zydar.jpg
Xarax (eastern cruelty)
xarfax.jpg
Octavia
octavia.jpg
Xyron
xyron.jpg

Stronghold: I somewhat like all of them, it is easy to get what all the screaming green guys are about, but I don't play fortress and don't care to pick a favourite
Conflux: the psychic elementals, yes

What an awfully messy looking post

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You guys are dumb-dumbs. The best heroes are:

Hero_Tyris.png
Hero_Valeska.png
Hero_Sylvia.png
Hero_Adela.png
Hero_Adelaide.png
Hero_Sanya.png
Hero_Edric.png
Hero_Orrin.png
Hero_Cuthbert.png

If you play anything else, you are an enemy and deserve to be smited and eradicated.

Fuck it, I'm reinstalling HoMM3 right now. TIME TO CRUSH SOME SKELETONS.

Humanophage

Arcane
the correct pics would be from HoMM II, because HoMM 3 is some smudged meh and grafix made through pre rendered low pol stuff.
HoMM2 portraits are okay, but too cartoonish. Unaltered HoMM3 portraits are a great and faithful representation of 90s fantasy art that we lost thanks to the trashy D&D3E and Warcraft 3 style. They are also not smudged, only NJClaw posted the correct size with no filters.

Hero_Mephala.png
Hero_Orrin.png
Hero_Adelaide.png
Hero_Theodorus.png
Hero_Zydar.png
Hero_Nagash.png
Hero_Gird.png
Hero_Gerwulf.png
Hero_Styg.png

It precisely corresponds to this style, whilst HoMM2 simplifies it.
6yWEd72.png

(This unfortunately does not pertain to the 3D renderings, which were a bad decision.)

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
These days I just pick random (and remake the map like a little bitch bcz if Inferno drops I still can't enjoy playing it) or Kyrre/Tazar.

When I first started playing though, I played Solmyr 24/7. All of my friends wanted to play him too when we ran hotseat sessions so you can imagine the arguing that was going around. The faction had very cool units and tons of spells so yeah... Why would you play anything else?

edit: I remember that nobody wanted to play Fortress because "only one shooter". :lol:

ciox

Liturgist
Yeah, only the remastered version smudged the game's graphics like that.

On heroes, mostly agree with the aesthetics posts above, for fun in singleplayer skirmish games, I usually gravitate to these
Tower: Solmyr
Dungeon: Malekith
Rampart: Ivor
Necropolis: Sandro
Stronghold: Jabarkas
Inferno: Xyron
Fortress: Wystan

Shadenuat

Arcane
HoMM2 portraits are okay, but too cartoonish. Unaltered HoMM3 portraits are a great and faithful representation of 90s fantasy art
the personalities are ok, but portraits are inconsistent, humans often look like traced photos or something, with special effects slapped on; but it doesn't work for beast races for example which in comparison lack in definition. the conflux is just some early grafix editor horror show, and then there's 3d.
in comparison, homm 2 is crispy clean and consistent everywhere.

Mai waifu Vidomina:
Vidomina.jpg
now that's good shit, author knows what they're doing.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My personal fav is Thant. Starting with raise dead is low-key amazing and on impossible lets you do things that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do early on. Having mysticism as a starting skill is fucked up, but at least it synergizes a little bit with being able to cast as many raises on your skellingtons as possible. He also has a cool nosferatu portrait.

Other than that I'm usually just a cheapskate picking someone with armorer or logistics as special. Necromancy as a special is a bit too cheesy even for me.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sandro is a trashtier hero, only worthwhile thing he brings to the table is slow.
Galthan and Vidomina is where it's at.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Sandro is not trash tier at all, on big maps heroes focused on direct spell damage can become huge raeptrains.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Sandro's portrait in 2 was better than 3's, wish it stayed the same style.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't play multi since forever, but usually necro wasn't banned per se, just with extensive house rules.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought people just ban Necros completely in multi, together with Diplomacy skill.
Everyone plays HotA now. Necromancy got nerfed into space. Diplomacy got nerfed into alien DMT dimension. Mysticism is decent now. Eagle Eye was left unchanged for the memes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom