Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime DAEMON X MACHINA out now on PC/Steam

Drowed

Arcane

So... Switch to PC port's out. Did anybody play it? Impressions? Somehow, that game reminded me of Slave Zero. I miss that game.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I got it for the Switch. Didn't like it all that much. For me it shit itself by having you grind your new mecha components via random loot drops which just isn't fun at all in a game like this. It also has lots of words words words but none of the characters or the story were very interesting so I ended up just skipping the dialogue.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was excited about this on my Armored Core fever 2 months ago. So is not so good?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I bought it physical anyway so there was no refund possibility, but I can always get 50% back by returning it to the store as a trade item.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm a sucker for robots/mecha in games, so I guess I will end up buying it anyway. But getting parts only in random drops looks like hell. The game should at least let you buy your shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting, this is #2 in global top sellers, just below Wolcen and above discounted Monster Hunter World. Also it has over 12K followers on Steam, very good number for a niche Japanese game. I guess Steam gamers have been craving a mech action game. (Also funny this would be selling better than MechWarrior 5 on Epic.)

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Raftacon from hownlongtobeat
"A mindless experience with a vapid story, unlikable characters, stilted controls, constantly reused objectives / mission types, and one of the most infuriatingly unfair, grind-encouraging final bosses in recent memory. Avoid at pretty much all costs. - 4"

^It is everything that is stated. It's utter rubbish, don't even go near this garbage. What a waste of potential.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Despite that, still #2 on global top sellers, "Overwhelmingly Positive" user reviews, almost 7K concurrent players. This would be the best-selling game XSEED has ever released on Steam.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Despite that, still #2 on global top sellers, "Overwhelmingly Positive" user reviews, almost 7K concurrent players. This would be the best-selling game XSEED has ever released on Steam.
Great! I hope this encourages other developers to make good mech games without a horrid anime story. I miss Armored Core. Why is it so hard to make Ace Combat with Mechs, I never know..

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh. Actually, out of 2,231 reviews:

S.Chinese - 1,685 (95% positive)
English - 474 (93%)
Japanese - 68 (91%)
T.Chinese - 48 (95%)

Weaboo games on Steam live by Chinese.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Heh. Actually, out of 2,231 reviews:

S.Chinese - 1,685 (95% positive)
English - 474 (93%)
Japanese - 68 (91%)
T.Chinese - 48 (95%)

Weaboo games on Steam live by Chinese.
Still 90% is too much, this game is a 6 at best. 6.3 if we squeeze. What is wrong with people.

Anyway now Armored Core 4 is playable on Xenia. So this game can fck off!

Melmoth

Educated
deeply shitty. I can't recommend this to armored core fans.

the intro is you creating a dragon ball z character to pilot your mecha and some kind of weird bullshit plot about planets or something. after selecting the right eyebrows, you can finally pilot your mecha.

the controls are completely frictionless and there's no feel of piloting anything at all. you may as well be piloting a surfboard. the mech clunkiness, attention to detail and sfx, movement and variable speed none of this granularity exists. it feels like rubbing an eraser over a whiteboard over and over. i quit this shit very fast and went to test the latest rpcs3. Guess what, for Answer now works fine and V too apparently. Seriously don't even bother grabbing it from fatgirl your favorite retailer. Even the ps2 armored cores are way more fun than this and probably the ps1 ones as well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I personally had a great time with it so far. I liked it better than V and Verdict Day, maybe a bit less than For Answer (as a single player experience it has a lot more meat on it than For Answer, but in some aspects like mechanical depth and part variety For Answer is still unbeaten). In a lot of ways it's a two steps forward, one step back situation.

+ The Armored Core type control scheme actual translates pretty well to MKB, it feels good to zippity-zaggity around in style of 4 and For Answer.
+ Overall balance of parts in the Steam launch state is fairly decent for these types of games, there's nothing like dual Wyrm or various other ways of cheesing in the spiritual predecessors. Apparently this wasn't quite as balanced in the earlier versions on Switch.
+ The addition of the pilot as a visible and on occasion playable is a small but important touch, and really adds something to these games. I personally don't mind the extremely cliche and super anime story (delivery is still pretty stilted, just not a mess like in Armored Core), it's nice to have a big dumb adventure once in a while and mecha sims haven't really had something of that scope and style since Zone of the Enders which doesn't even really count since those aren't mecha sims. Like, you might as well be like the genre you're simulating without shame.
+ The soundtrack totally slaps.
+ While it is a bare-bones kind of procgen, there are two things that Exploration mode does that add to the basic formula of Armored Core games. For one thing, it finally makes a more extended and endurance oriented mission type that allows for mechanics to be put to a different kind of stress test, and by being basically arena-dungeon it allows for delivering additional mecha enemies to fight in possibly alternate challenges thrown in. I have done my Exploration only solo this far.
+ IMO the looter-shooter system used for salvage actually works. It gives a little addictive element to Exploration mode, and encountering enemies using weapons you haven't seen before.
+ While I'm not a fan of how most of the shoulder weapons look, the aesthetics of the game remain very good which isn't a surprise with Kawamori in charge of mecha design.
+ Some of the mechanical streamlining works out, reducing the secondary damage variables from V's three to two in DXM puts more value to loadout adaptability and folding generators and boosters into body benefits the salvage model. Another good change is that Memory Capacity (the replacement for Lifting Capacity because as a stat it would be silly when Arsenals have ant-like proportional strength and can lift things vastly heavier than themselves) doesn't count against your Hanger units until you wield them, which again encourages variation.
- However, the streamlining does come at the cost of a pretty steeply reduced number of parts. While you can technically 'multiply' the number due to the mods each part can mount, it does leave a shortage of weapon variety (an example relevant to me is that I was a big fan of gatlings in 4 and For Answer, and they're absent; albeit the Machine Gun Arm does the same function as they did, but it's an aesthetic thing). Another example is that it has only biped Arsenals, which IMO is a good thing because that should be the focus and it has allowed for things like letting Arsenals throw stuff, but you can't help but notice the absence of Tank, Quad, and Hover legs. To me the particular thing is that there should be more Shoulder and Auxiliary parts to use.
- Similarly, the pilot skill tree is basically ruined by the visual side effects. A choice between character creation in the first place and becoming a faceless cyborg just to try out some of the more interesting options (even if I hear that a lot of people don't like how Blink controls) or have a melee build is kind of a dick move that adds nothing.
- Very clearly a budget title (then again, that's not exactly new). While its art design does help the character and mecha models to work just fine and it's nice to look at (very neat explosion and dust cloud effects), the hangar bay and Orbital area desperately needs more stuff to walk around in and interact with.
- Certain negative elements of Armored Core basic mission design are still there. Many maps are quite small, and most missions are beaten within minutes and some in under a minute. This in turn as before does make things feel a bit samey when you aren't fighting a Colossal or Arsenal. Armored Core and DXM could really benefit from trying with a more expansive and extended mission design (I've often felt that mecha sim is the one genre that really should give open world design a try; albeit that might end up like the new Dynasty Warriors so be careful what I wish for I suppose), Exploration mode is in a way a proof of concept that a mecha sim can really benefit from missions that are potentially even longer.
- This also ties in with whenever characters start talking during the missions that isn't just a canned radio chatter line to thing X happening during gameplay. Simply put, the speed at which these games resolve is not conducive to having a conversation while gameplay is happening, which in turn can either make things obtuse or you have to basically avoid playing while you wait. You'd think after so many Rockstar rides over somewhere people would get that this sort of thing never feels right and just puts gameplay and story in conflict.
- The main negative in the story is that the player character is often a non-entity, which can be rather irritating or jarring. This aspect could have used considerable work.
- Some clown didn't think of there being keyboards that aren't Murrican, you cannot rename your Arsenal or use emotes right now because the key to do those can't be rebound.

Ialda

Learned
Currently wrapping up the story mode, I'm pleasantly surprised to find a real Armored Core game under the crass weebo skin. Like Vaarna_Aarne said, some gameplay elements were simplified (no reverse joints/tank/quadri legs, reactor blended into body, unlimited flying), but nonetheless it's the much fun I've had with a mech game since Last Raven and Silent Line on my Vita. Some elements (like the colossi) even feels like a legitimate evolution from previous AC games.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a meaty post-game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm a big fan of AC:FA, maybe I should try this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom