Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

purpleblob

Savant
I'm back and I've got something for you.

Somebody somehow ripped the entire plot from the game files. It's not only the plot and the dialogues, but also ability and upgrade desriptions and similar stuff. It's available in both russian and english, but it looks like the english version is incomplete.

Some guy from 4chan thread datamined the game and was answering whatever questions people had for him. He seems to be legit, you can read it here if you are interested starting from post #1108641.

Nice-game.png

fuck-you.png

Nice game Owlcat. I bet shit like Valerie not recognizing MC being a paladin of Shelyn (what's a paladin?) or protagonist asking the twins what's it like to be a goat, while having horns and tail himself would also happen in Wrath.
16984001.jpg

What part of alpha (aka the game isn't finished yet) didn't you understand?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It reminds me of how we were only level 20 for the last hour in Kingmaker.
Not true with DLCs anymore. I hit 20 after spawn solo kill before reaching rushlight tournament.

Was never really true if you used the option to give skill xp to skill user only and harvested high DC skillchecks. With Wildcards I got to 20 before Pitax Palace. In Chapter 6 the rest of the party xp-matches the leader...

Dodo1610

Arcane
Nice-game.png

That is a huge plus for the game. I am sick of all the RPGs that allow you to do the most horrific shit possible without any longterm consequences.
Becoming a lich means you chose to become an undead abomination and that's it no amount of money given to beggars will ever change that.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It reminds me of how we were only level 20 for the last hour in Kingmaker.
Not true with DLCs anymore. I hit 20 after spawn solo kill before reaching rushlight tournament.

Was never really true if you used the option to give skill xp to skill user only and harvested high DC skillchecks. With Wildcards I got to 20 before Pitax Palace. In Chapter 6 the rest of the party xp-matches the leader...

Tge original complaint is that it takes most of the game to get to Gold Dragon and Pitax is in fact pretty late in the game as it now stands.

The point of that Design is that the story is as much about becoming a Gold Dragon (or Legend) as being one.

Shinros

Learned
Nice-game.png

That is a huge plus for the game. I am sick of all the RPGs that allow you to do the most horrific shit possible without any longterm consequeces.
If you become a lich you chose to become an undead abomination and that's it no amount of money given to beggars will ever change that.

Agreed. I've actually seen the datamined information and there are consequences for some of the mythics if you do them half-heartily, there are examples of this in the very Alpha, if you don't go full LAW as an Aeon you will miss out on certain choices. Same with Lich, but that occurs later.

Nah, not reading spoliers/leak as I want to enjo the game for what it is later.

Regarding the reactivity:

Each path has their own story-line of some sort with what Owlcat had in mind and Lich happens to be the "evil" route so to speak. Asking to have each path being reactive to everything the player does is tantamount of suicide and will 100% result in unfocused stuff with thin C&C as the resource is spread thin considering we have 6 paths.

Would the concept of 140% reactivity be great? Yeah. But 30 years of RPG should make you realize that over-promising and make things way out of scope is a bad idea. Maybe if Owlcat only has 1 or 2 Mythic Path, I would like for them to make it as reactive as possible (say Angel and Demon of every alignment spectrum or something like that). Having 6 I'd understand if the scope of each Mythic Path is more limited.

The only thing I'd want to see is that the reactivity is based on choice instead of mythic path i.e. if I am a Lich but I avoid every single Lich choice in the story what would happen?

The easiest answer would probably be the fact that these paths are made much later being Stretch Goals and all.

The 2nd reason is a narrative one. And no from what I understand it won't clash with your roleplay. I mean if you are aiming to be a Devil you need to be some slimy lawyer shit when you are being an Aeon (being LE). You don't suddenly start from being Judge Dredd and then you know what I want to be a Devil so fuck roleplay consistency imma be evil now. If you aim to be one to begin with (or you are LE who happen to choose Aeon paths early), then the offer of becoming a Devil should be in character.

If you take the mechanical approach and try to game/min-max your narrative choice to become a certain Mythic Path then the inconsistencies are your fault, not the game.

Heck besides Angel and Demon you can be locked out Mythic Paths. Say you are a Lawful Anal guy who abhors any Chaotic actions, if you roleplay your character appropriately it will certainly lock you out of Trickster and Azata.

If you are roleplaying saintly goody 2 shoes from the beginning you might be locked out of Aeon.

If you want to unlock them all early and your character becomes inconsistent then it's not the game's fault, the game just provides the choice. It is on you to stay in character.

Yup, I don't know how people miss this. What I actually like about Wrath is that your PC can actually question themselves if they decide to go an evil mythic, the late game routes like Gold Dragon actually give them an out if you wish to roleplay your character such. In my opinion at the moment there is far more reactivity in comparison to Kingmaker.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Nice-game.png

That is a huge plus for the game. I am sick of all the RPGs that allow you to do the most horrific shit possible without any longterm consequeces.
If you become a lich you chose to become an undead abomination and that's it no amount of money given to beggars will ever change that.
This reminds me of how the last 4 WotR threads on /vrpg/ have been people arguing back and forth wether Liches have the capacity to cum or not.

The end of the alpha ruined us until datamine anon came like the Archangel Michael in purgatory.

Technomancer

Liturgist
There are some examples of good liches in source so I guess some people wanted that. Owlcat stated from the start that it won't be a thing though and expecting an obscure thing like that is naive anyway.

Desiderius

Patron
wether Liches have the capacity to cum or not.

The whole pathos of lichdom is forsaking your posterity for your self (the organic/spiritual for the merely physical/mental and ultimately the dynamic for the static), as is poignantly portrayed in Jaethal's Companion Quest in P:K.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good God, I can't wait to play this game.

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a videogame release, with the exception of From Software's games. I was hyped for Pillars of Eternity, Kingmaker, and Tides of Numenera, but this time, having already played Kingmaker, I know that this game will be exactly what I want.

Does anyone know anything about their progresses towards the release? Is it still planned for June 2021?

Delterius

Arcane
I forgot to mention the other half of those threads was a concurrent conversation about how the succubus companion is technically 'used goods' and therefore the cuck romance, leading to aru fans embracing cuckoldry fantastica over and over again.

Good aligned Liches gtfo.

Desiderius

Patron
I mean she is, but no reason to be a cuck about it. If she wants to earn her way back to redemption she should have that opportunity. Only making her earn it is going to hold her interest in any case so cuck romance isn't happening one way or another.

Elex

Arbiter
Nice-game.png

Bullshit good lich exist. They are called archlich.

Takamori

Learned
Good aligned Liches can't exist given the whole ritual involve you sacrificing your humanity, morals and so on.

But, you can have a interesting story of some really twisted mind mage trying to actually achieve some sort of higher goal and that would might move his compass a little, but he still an evil shit that will do anything to achieve it, so once again good aligned liches nope.

Delterius

Arcane
Nice-game.png

That's Forgotten Realms.

I do not know of good liches in Golarion.

Shinros

Learned
You can't have your cake and eat it too, the fact that they're letting us be a neutral Lich is already generous as fuck.

That's what people want, many wish to be a "good" Lich, I'm glad the game reacts correctly for choosing to become an undead monstrosity when you can freely become an Angel etc.

Desiderius

Patron

I don't think I've ever been this excited about a videogame release, with the exception of From Software's games. I was hyped for Pillars of Eternity, Kingmaker, and Tides of Numenera, but this time, having already played Kingmaker, I know that this game will be exactly what I want.

Does anyone know anything about their progresses towards the release? Is it still planned for June 2021?

Just get the Beta then. Alpha was very playable.

purpleblob

Savant

No confirmed release date yet. Beta starts in late January though.

Delterius

Arcane
I'll be honest. I don't care about being a Lich. But I think it's neat that they are adding a Lich path because there's an untapped desire to be a necromancer lord in RPGs like these. Something that has stood with us since BioWare promised to let us enslave nations with dark necromancy 11 years ago. But fuck everyone who is in it just for aesthetics and seems unable to fully get it. Fuck everyone who wants to be good aligned despite a Lich being, by definition, someone who goes around sacrificing and destroying civilizations in order to further their power, who reached their current state via some absurd sacrifice of lives and literally tore their flesh and ability to feel any emotions away from their lives. Want to be a good aligned necromancer? Cute. Be Azata Wizard. Be a Trickster who summons skeletons and make them dance and shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's what people want, many wish to be a "good" Lich, I'm glad the game reacts correctly for choosing to become an undead monstrosity when you can freely become an Angel etc.
This is a pretty good point. You choose to deform yourself even though you have other paths. The theme itself is very Clive Barker-esque, but the ramifications of that can't really be ignored.

The process of becoming a Lich is an unspeakably evil act. A character can't just complete such a heinous undertaking and then suddenly dedicate their existence to altruism.

However, no being is beyond redemption. There is the possibility that a Lich realizes the errors of his ways and becomes a good Lich (Archlich) after pondering for millenia, although that would seemingly be a very unlikely outcome after they had sacrificed nearly all of their humanity for power to conquer. Also, Liches are not obliged to be chaotically evil, so they could very well do good deeds if it serves their self interest.

That all said, for all intents and purposes of this campaign, becoming a Lich makes your character evil and nobody should expect anything different from Owlcat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom