Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: New Vegas 10 Year Anniversary

Quillon

Arcane
Good analysis:

I had no idea that there was no essential NPC's in the game, and that you can pretty much skip entire quests because of it...

Great vid.

FNV is "objectively the best game of all time",
yes.png

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
There's not going to be a video for the DLCs. Take a guess why.
Wasn't aware he was under any obligation to make one, lol.
If you're going to continue being a card-carrying Avellone simp after what happened that's fine, just don't be a spergy fanboy and get upset when people refuse to acknowledge/defend a man who willingly dug his own grave.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Did he mention Chris Avellone even once? I skimmed through parts of it but he seemed to avoid crediting Avellone with anything.

The video is about the game's design, not it's designers
He even only mentions Josh at the end of the video to talk about how after a decade Josh still answers questions about the game - pretty much he only mentions the dude that directed game to illustrate that New Vegas is so good that after 10 years people are still actively discussing it

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The video is about the game's design, not it's designers
He even only mentions Josh at the end of the video to talk about how after a decade Josh still answers questions about the game - pretty much he only mentions the dude that directed game to illustrate that New Vegas is so good that after 10 years people are still actively discussing it

Actually he mentions John Gonzalez And Sawyer at least three times.

Also Fallout died with New Vegas. Bethesda is a mistake.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
He could have mentioned Avellone near the end when he was talking about Lanius but MCA's been credited too many times in the past for the shit he wrote and especially for the shit he didn't; normies always assumed MCA was responsible for every single good writing in an Obs game, especially for base NV's writing so whatever, karma? lmao

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
He could have mentioned Avellone near the end when he was talking about Lanius but MCA's been credited too many times in the past for the shit he wrote and especially for the shit he didn't; normies always assumed MCA was responsible for every single good writing in an Obs game, especially for base NV's writing so whatever, karma? lmao
You mean karma inflicted on him because of people on the Internet? Chris has always made it a point to give credit to other writers. One of many examples:

I’ll get the shameless gushing out of the way first: you’re the main person in the games industry that I look up to, and I consider you one of the greatest writers in games. When you’re done blushing, could you tell me who you look up to as a writer? Is there anybody in the games industry (or elsewhere) whose work you’re particularly impressed with, and what is it that you admire about them?

CHRIS: You are waaaaay too kind – I’ve worked with much better writers, both in and out of game development, and I tip my hat to them for raising the quality bar for me and showing me the strengths I lack and should be working to develop in my own writing… so thanks for giving me the opportunity. Without further ado: George Ziets has an excellent sense of capturing a genre without diminishing it and he has excellent pacing for character reveals and character arcs (he helped me considerably during Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer and companion work on New Vegas).

Travis Stout, who I worked on a number of projects at Obsidian, is another writer I admire – although limiting the praise to just writing does him a disservice, since his skill set encompasses almost all areas of design, we considered him a “jack of all trades” designer at Obsidian. He’s clever, quick, and certainly had a better sense of how to deliver a compelling menu-driven dialogue than I do. He’s also funnier than I am; if you laughed during Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues, it was probably something Travis wrote. Also, the range of appliances inside the Sink (homebase) in Old World Blues is a perfect sample of the range that Travis can write.

Some more: Dave Maldonado, who worked on Torment, and Steve Bokkes who I worked with on Torment and Icewind Dale – both had a great sense of style and knowing the genre they were writing for. Mark O’ Green, who I worked with back at Interplay, did amazing talking head dialogues for both Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Adam Heine (the lead designer of Torment: Tides of Numenera) is a better writer than me. And he can program. And he lives his life to make the world a better place, so he wins in three arenas I fail at.

Others I’ve worked with – Colin McComb, Nathan Long… the list goes on. And on. And on.

Plus, there’s non-narrative designers at work who write better than me. Tyson Christensen, one of our level leads, is excessively humble, but he wrote some of the best sections of Alpha Protocol. I don’t know if he believed me when I told him, so I’m saying it publically here.

Outside of personal work experience, I feel the Telltale game writers excel at their craft (and make narratively brave decisions), and a number of the narrative and systematic pacing decisions in the BioShock series were equally important and brave, especially in re-examining what a boss encounter could be/should be. I’ll resist the urge to fire too much praise Ken Levine’s way, but… well, there’s a lot to say there. I loved Mike Bithell’s narrative for Thomas Was Alone because it made me care about colored blocks. Colored. Blocks. And not just that, he made me see them as fiercely independent people and heroes and in addition, gave them a sense of camaraderie and human-ness (including the surly character of the bunch, appropriately named Chris).

I fanboy over Mary DeMarle, Susan O’Connor, Richard Dansky, Steve Jaros, and David Gaider, and many of them are friends as well – after I approached them awkwardly at conventions first, so I thank writing for introducing me to some damn cool folks. Ricardo Bare (Arkane) is also a writer I enjoy, and aside from being a very pleasant person, his prose is great (check out Jack of Hearts if you get the chance, great pacing and an awesome take on dwarves).

There’s other folks I’m forgetting. I hope they don’t kill me. And I’m sure there’s many more out there I have yet to cross paths with, and I hope life gives me the opportunity to meet them.

cruelio

Savant
Too bad random youtube guy didn't mention Christ Avellown. I would have loved to hear about how Avellown's responsible for the worst dlc. Or how everyone credits him instead of John Gonzalez for how great the main story is. Or how insane basement dwellers use him to virtue signal to other insane basement dwellers because he got put in twitter jail.

Quillon

Arcane
You mean karma inflicted on him because of people on the Internet?

yes.png

Also we all know how exaggeratedly humble Chris is and how his humbleness makes him even better in our eyes so what if he's only acting humble for humble-points? ha!? :D

I don't wanna kick the guy when he's down but you guys sucked his dick dry over the years and still wanting more, learn to be content ffs

OMG THEY DON'T MENTION CHRIS WTF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
After many years I feel an itch creeping up and so I reinstalled it but first I have to fix this buggy mess. Will probably take me a couple of days to find all the mods I crave.

Eastwood

Educated
After many years I feel an itch creeping up and so I reinstalled it but first I have to fix this buggy mess. Will probably take me a couple of days to find all the mods I crave.
In case you need some inspiration, check out the Viva New Vegas guide. It gives a great overview on the current NV modding scene and what mods to avoid.
https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/livinginnewvegas
Though this version of the guide (about a month old) is no longer maintained, it's way more extensive than the current stripped down guide.

Sykar

Arcane
In case you need some inspiration, check out the Viva New Vegas guide. It gives a great overview on the current NV modding scene and what mods to avoid.
https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/livinginnewvegas
Though this version of the guide (about a month old) is no longer maintained, it's way more extensive than the current stripped down guide.

Already saw that one. Well it was too late having installed most of what I want via FOMM already. Mostly patches, some small rebalance mods, Sawyer mod, restoration mods and some additions like Interiors project, interior lighting, etc.

ironmask

Arbiter
Hey, what's the best content restoration mod for NV? Also NV is objectively the best Fallout game.

Sykar

Arcane
I consider FO 2 still the best though FO 1 is right behind it. NV is a little behind those two but still good. The last spot among enjoyable FO games goes to Tactics. Bethderp shite is complete and utter garbage.

Last edited:

Ocelot

Learned
After doing 4 full vanilla runs to get all Steam achievements, play as different personalities, side with all factions, do all DLCs and complete almost all quests and challenges, I think I'm done with this game. Maybe it's time to give FO4 a try and experience a more recent iteration of Fallout's world.

Who am I kidding, I'm probably going to play it with mods next. FO4 can wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom