Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Allanon

Augur
Holy chit the difficulty spike in Chapter 12.

They were very proud of their battle arena, to basically force you to run through it.
Also true for the management mini-game.

Deflowerer

Arcane
According to some unsubstantiated rumors and certain sales charts placing Yak7 poorly or omitting completely, the global release seems to have underperformed.

Heavy Friend

Barely Literate
I've played Yakuza 0 on PC and 1 on PS2 on release all those years ago.

Should I play the remakes in order? Meaning Kiwami 1,2, then remastered 3-4-5 then 6? Any stinkers?
You should play the PS2 release of 2, not Kiwami 2. Not only is Yakuza 2 one of the best games in the series but it drastically improves on the clunky combat of Yakuza 1 and has the most fast paced and arcadey combat in the series plus it has this really comfy neo-noir tone. Kiwami 2 represents the worst of the series, it's a game cobbled together in a year using reused assets and cuts out some of the best content in the original in favor of more reused content and needless fan-service for people who got into the series with Yakuza 0. Also it replaces the cool licensed Japanese jazz music of the original with some awful autotuned J-rock.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Understandable.
They didn't only changed the main character, but also completely changed the combat system. I guess many old fans (and new fans that joined the series with Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1&2) skipped this one.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished like a dragon my first Yakuza game. Really enjoyed it but quite retarded design choice to lock harder difficulties into NG+. Chapter 12 was first time I died but bosses were 15 levels higher than me so that might be the reason. After doing 1 full run of battle arena it was a cakewalk. Second wipe was vs
Kiryu
again level difference was over 10 so I did second arena run and that was enough. I might have been underleveled because using no random encounters accessory. Last boss was such a letdown difficulty wise.

Really a shame that
Eri is not included in any cutscenes

Overall very fun game and first 3 companions are all great.

Now time for Yakuza 0 even when I dislike non turn based combat

Derringer

Prophet
Also it replaces the cool licensed Japanese jazz music of the original with some awful autotuned J-rock.
That's what someone else kept saying but that seems to happen a lot with these cheap re-releases from companies, just too much effort to pay an extra fee for licenses for a cheap re-release

Reinhardt

Arcane
Had the dream today about Yakuza. Kiryu and Kashiwagi were running the streets in party. Probably early game, because only those two. Street was wide so i guess combat is tb. Also it was glitchy with missing textures, like in that shitty polish game, so Ichiban performed lvl 3 "we are very sorry!" promised they will fix it right now and offered to listen how Kashiwagi sings Judgement whle they work on issues. It was new year dream so maybe it was prophetic. Or i just ate too much grilled meat yesterday.

Ivan

Arcane
Booted Like A Dragon>learned it defaults to English dub>immediately change to Japanese
a659b55ccf0bb7fcceeb901226768848.jpg

Derringer

Prophet
Bumping up the FOV in Yakuza makes it a lot more bearable to play when the camera likes to get stuck a lot, makes it more of a beat-em-up instead of a cinematic RPG with beat-em-up elements. PC really does beat the shit out of consoles.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I've seen only clip of Korone playing Dead by Daylight where she was killer. Hanging survivor on the hook - "you think your woman will save you, old man? she abandoned you! everyone abandoned you!" happy doggo laugh.

Oh, and metal slug clip about maggots.

IceyD

Scholar
Started Yakuza 7 since it was on sale, my first one!

Just got out of jail and wow this is a lot of exposition eh? Aside from the few tutorial encounters, I've pretty much watched a two hour film so far.

Clean production though and runs nicely.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Don't lie to yourself, Hyperdimension Neptunia is a pretty good series
Your waifu is worst character in Neptunia. All little sisters are meh, but yours - i don't even remember her name. She's just that bland.
Nepgear is easily the best girl. Think about it - she's the hardest worker, the most feminine, and she's smart enough to build giant robots, game consoles, and other tech. Plus she can cook. Even Neptune says she's wife material at one point. She's got one of the top 5 best bodies in the series too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Have yet to play them, due to their abysmal reputation I have not played a lot of Compile Heart/IF games.
All I played were Record of Agarest War, which deserved its shitty reputation 100%, and Spectral Souls which was completely alright.
Any of them traditional turn based?

Started Yakuza 7 since it was on sale, my first one!

Just got out of jail and wow this is a lot of exposition eh? Aside from the few tutorial encounters, I've pretty much watched a two hour film so far.

Clean production though and runs nicely.

Game gets much more open as soon as you get thrown into the district where most of the game happens. I already dread replaying the game because of the very long railroady start, but it was pretty fun the first time through.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Have yet to play them, due to their abysmal reputation I have not played a lot of Compile Heart/IF games.
All I played were Record of Agarest War, which deserved its shitty reputation 100%, and Spectral Souls which was completely alright.
Any of them traditional turn based?

All of the mainline games are turn based though not exactly traditional. There's a positioning system and a combo system if you're using regular melee instead of skills. There's also a spinoff starring Noire that's a tactical turn based RPG. I forget the name of it though. Re;Birth 2 with the fan translation patch and VIIR are my two favorites. Re;Birth 2 is actually pretty fucking dark if that's your thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom