Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Black Angel

Arcane
As if I you're in any position to help anyone with that level of retardation. Quite interesting how you fags always go ‘hurr durr gole poasts moved!!!’ whenever someone disagrees with you. Sounds quite like a Biden voter, doesn't it.
Get a load of this fucking furry.

Yet one more reasons why they ought to be purged from God's beautiful Earth.
22094.jpg
Being a cat person does not equal a furry, you fucking heretic.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
As if I you're in any position to help anyone with that level of retardation. Quite interesting how you fags always go ‘hurr durr gole poasts moved!!!’ whenever someone disagrees with you. Sounds quite like a Biden voter, doesn't it.

22094.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane

22094.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Unreal upon sighting a furry humanoid
26951.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've given this thing a spin for a few hours. As expected, I hate the save system. I die quickly to the bull boss, turns out that lighting the bonfire wasn't good enough, I had to rest there, so I go through the skeleton gauntlet and rest, go through the second skeleton gaunltet, die again. Go through the skeleton gauntlet again, die once more. I am prevented from quickly learning the boss's patterns because they didn't put a bonfire closer to the boss. I'm not giving up yet, but I'm not going to put up with this if it happens with nearly every boss.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am prevented from quickly learning the boss's patterns because they didn't put a bonfire closer to the boss.

I agree this is arguably where the game feels like bullshit, and be glad you haven't yet met bosses that need you to perform awkward (and potentially fatal) platforming just to get to them.
Just do what i ended up doing in all DSs : quit the game just before the boss, create a shortcut to the savegame folder on your desktop and copy-paste the save. When you die, quit to DS's menu, Ctrl Alt Suppr, replace the save and just go back playing.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I am prevented from quickly learning the boss's patterns because they didn't put a bonfire closer to the boss.

He's got like four attacks and they can all be countered the same way: back up, let him whiff, counter, repeat.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've given this thing a spin for a few hours. As expected, I hate the save system. I die quickly to the bull boss, turns out that lighting the bonfire wasn't good enough, I had to rest there, so I go through the skeleton gauntlet and rest, go through the second skeleton gaunltet, die again. Go through the skeleton gauntlet again, die once more. I am prevented from quickly learning the boss's patterns because they didn't put a bonfire closer to the boss. I'm not giving up yet, but I'm not going to put up with this if it happens with nearly every boss.
There is beauty in this post. It is the low before the high.

I believe in you, Roguey. Just look around.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Just clench your teeth and learn, and try, belive me it's well worthit.
I did that, are you worse then some dirty Russian?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, the question - I'm playing without multiplayer.
Should I bother myself with any covenant?
I know some of them offer damage boosts.
But is it mandatory for winning NG?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every covenant has a way to advance ranks without multiplayer. And every convenant has rewards relevant in single player, either gameplay or story. The only one that has rewards tied to multiplayer that cannot be achieved otherwise (as far as PTDE goes - maybe they fiddled with that in the Remaster) are the Forest Hunters.

3 kills will give you special dialogue about how Alvina distrusts Shiva.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What did you choose as your starting class? Relying on a shield and heavy armor is an even more viable strategy in Dark Souls than in Demon's Souls, and the Knight class begins with a 100% physical block shield and decent armor.

The best place to learn how to play the Souls games is probably the starting level of Demon's Souls, as you can't even level up (i.e. increase attributes) until you complete the level, and it forces you to traverse most of the level in one go in order to unlock the gate to the boss. If you can accomplish that, then you'll be in good shape to play any Souls game.

Anyway, against the Taurus demon, you might experience the same "luck" as I did in my first Dark Souls playthrough, when he employed his backwards jump move while facing away from the nearby edge of the walkway and took the long plunge down. And you shouldn't need to learn his pattern to beat him, as he's one of the easier bosses in the series.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yeah, well my attempts at dodging ended in failure obviously.

Don't even dodge, it's not worth it. Seriously, just back up, wait for the whiff, run in and attack once, and back off again. In DS, you're a boxer rather than a slugger.

Just run past the enemies lmao

It's shocking how few appreciate this strat. In 95% percent of cases, this is the best tactic.

Also, the question - I'm playing without multiplayer.
Should I bother myself with any covenant?
I know some of them offer damage boosts.
But is it mandatory for winning NG?

Join the Forest Bros to get Shiva as a vendor, he's got some great stuff. Afterward, consider the Gravelords as they hand out a good weapon and an amazing spell just for joining, no covenant items required.

Latelistener

Arcane
I've given this thing a spin for a few hours. As expected, I hate the save system.
I actually thought it would be more of a hassle before playing the game. Turns out, it's not that bad.

Also, as mentioned above most of the time you can simply run past enemies or use shortcuts.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Join the Forest Bros to get Shiva as a vendor, he's got some great stuff. Afterward, consider the Gravelords as they hand out a good weapon and an amazing spell just for joining, no covenant items required.

I'm using Halberd mostly, maybe will use spear. But anway, I'll join for the sake of collecting.

turn back and look up.

Yeah, I fought it at tower. He surprised me there lol.

I'm playing without multiplayer.

Imagine "playing" Dark Souls offline lol

Imagine allowing some akne-wearing teens to pawn you with cheats lol. Next lvl of masohism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom