Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Quillon

Arcane
Is there a way to play BD on your own? I just bought BD from Stefan for 16k. I got an objective to play it but I can't. I went to rest in the car to maybe do it and visited Judy to see if she knows it but nada.

So far I can only ask Stefan's player for his to use.

gotta use stefan's next-gen rig for only 4k extra eddies, it has ray-tracing and shit, totally worth it.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The pedestrians spawn into the gameworld very close to the player, it's a game design decision so there was no reason to make extensive AI for something that spawns and despawns in a matter of seconds (if you drive or walk fast) - it's resources managment. There're several types of spawns too - those who just walk, those who stay in place, special spawns that do some kind of animation on spawn and then walk away. I'm pretty sure it was the same in Novigrad just different pools of spawns for different districts just like Cyberpunk. Villagers had more predefined action markers and routines because villages are smaller.

Well, technically everything spawns and despawns around you as you walk. However in Witcher 3 the NPCs were in predefined locations and often had specific paths they could walk around and custom logic. What spawned/despawned was the entity that represented the NPC, however the abstract information about that NPC was always there. I do not know how the crowd spawns work in CP2077 (my guess they the engine selects random points in the world that are 'empty' and spawns characters there as you walk around), but at least in terms of behavior they are more simplistic than what you'd find in Witcher 3, even in Novigrad. However overall Witcher 3 has much less NPCs and indeed the reason is most likely the number of NPCs that CP2077 has. Though i'd like it if at least those that stand around would be a bit more involved.

All in all I think pedestrians in CP do their job just fine - creating a backdrop for a sprawling city, they could've had more dialog lines AND there could've been more predefined spawns in some quests locations with some unique lines.

There are several ways the pedestrians and generic NPCs could become a tiny bit more interesting without having to assign lines for each one. For example they could gaze around 'interesting' places (e.g. kiosks, stores, etc) as they walk or even stop to check them out for a bit. Similarly they could stop and gaze at the ads for a bit. With a bit of more involvement (though not much as the animations already exist in the game) there could be places they can stop and take a seat (e.g. in parks), perhaps even take a smoke. If you killed/incapacitated them they could randomly drop money or perhaps a generic shard like those you randomly find around (i mean the repeated ones) or with some news (i.e someone was reading/watching the latest news).

You get the idea, simple stuff that applies to all generic NPCs, not specific instances.

Starwars

Arcane
Parts of the city feels oddly empty at times but I must say that when you spend time in certain areas during "rush hour", it's pretty impressive how crowded it all feels. I think everyone would enjoy a bit more simulation but as a "backdrop", the city can be damn impressive at times. Way more than I thought when I first started playing.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
BUT I DID GET CLOSE TO HIM USING THE TOOLS YOU GAVE ME AND BEAT HIM UNCONSCIOUS WITH MY DILDO YOU BASTARD GAME!!!

*sassafrassarassa*

That thing is OP. Craftable to 1300+ dps with multi-elementary damage. Absolutely degenerate.

Was the dead daughter there for exposition only? For some reason you can pick her up so I jackassed her to the end of the pier expecting a different quest ending.

Regina's Watson gigs are the least satisfying, but given Watson is the starting neighborhood, they are essentially tutorial gigs.

Also, why did the Haitians settle on the *West* coast, and where did they develop these mighty hacking skills? We wuz tech kangz.

Magic negroes are the funniest shit. I mean sure, there are a few smart cookies here and there obviously, but the idea that you'd get a whole colony of them with "advanced netrunning skills" is just ...well, um, let's just say it's highly unlikely :) (I used to lap that stuff up, e.g. I loved the Rastas in Neuromancer, and that sequence where the hero is pulled out of his virtual conversation on the beach with Wintermute by the sound of dub is classic.)

Yeah I've been assiduously upgrading that thing as I go, I'm a crafter so I'm gonna make it Epic at some point. The fact that you can beat people up with a dildo is almost worth the game's price of admission on its own, and you can prize it out of my cold, dead hands. (I love that it hums too, and does that thing of extra purring when you hit :) )

So far as I know, she was only for the exposition.

Keshik

Arcane
I include the Arasaka ending too, if anything it is the most different of the other endings - as if you were transported to another game and both outcomes have this weird feeling (especially

Well it wasn't bad, just felt like a stupid choice and it's funny the amount of times the game tells you that, Johnny, Misty, "Hell"man, etc. The
suicide
ending is also worth seeing just for the phone calls at the end, poor Judy and Panam.

Druid Ardun

Also, why did the Haitians settle on the *West* coast, and where did they develop these mighty hacking skills? We wuz tech kangz.

Magic negroes are the funniest shit. I mean sure, there are a few smart cookies here and there obviously, but the idea that you'd get a whole colony of them with "advanced netrunning skills" is just ...well, um, let's just say it's highly unlikely :) (I used to lap that stuff up, e.g. I loved the Rastas in Neuromancer, and that sequence where the hero is pulled out of his virtual conversation on the beach with Wintermute by the sound of dub is classic.)

Negromancers were the most unrealistic aspect of Cyberpunk.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Already have 15 hours into this garbage so no refunds for me. I gotta drag myself to finish it now. Wish I was playing a better game now. It wouldn't be good even if it didn't have bugs. Fucking piece of shit.

Hellion

Arcane
Speaking of the Voodoo Bois, after doing their "final" quest and
killing everyone
, did anyone else receive a phone call from
Placide, that was essentially just static? That thing really creeped me out. I almost expected him to haunt me for the rest of the game.

Druid Ardun

Speaking of the Voodoo Bois, after doing their "final" quest and
killing everyone
, did anyone else receive a phone call from
Placide, that was essentially just static? That thing really creeped me out. I almost expected him to haunt me for the rest of the game.

Shot that nigger in the head, but never received such call.

Druid Ardun

I think they left the bugs in on purpose because the game is so linear with no real choices that the bugs are the only thing making the experience thrilling and diverse.

there's ZERO benefits in killing enemies instead of stunning them, and you get a mod early on that makes all you guns non-lethal (WHUT?), so I'm not even sure why that exists.
sorry to chime in this late but i read this thread just to waste time and you people chatter too much u_u
there's 100% benefit in stunning enemies instead, because once you stun them you get the bounty, but then you can go back at killing each one of them to get those bounties again.
no idea if's been patched out. once i found out this my street cred, still very low, skyrocketed.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I invested heavily in Crafting just to see what it was all about, and I must say, the perk that lets you keep the mods from disassembled stuff is very nice (though ridiculously "expensive" in terms of depth on the tree, but I'm heavily into Engineering for the Tech weapons anyway). What with all the Epics and Legendaries I've disassembled because I don't need them (I'm sticking to a Chao smart pistol, a Satara tech shottie, and a Nekomata tech sniper to cover most contingencies, so there are loads of Legendaries and Epics that just go in the trash.) I can really tailor my mods with everything now. Also, with the bumps in cost reduction and material recovery, I find that I can keep those favourites up to date for long periods, and only rarely need to replace them instead of upgrading them. I'm a bit annoyed that the Satara doesn't have a Legendary version though (so far as I can see).

I really, really like the glass cannon combination of Technical and Hacker. It certainly makes sense of all the crap that I OCD-edly pick up, and being able to open Technical doors is a nice extra. And the Tech boosted Satara shottie on full charge is a thing of beauty - though I hardly ever need to use it these days, as my Quickhacking is getting absurdly powerful, especially now that I've got several mk4 Cyberdecks of various kinds, where I can slot 7 or 8 quickhacks for various purposes. Basically one Contagion pretty much neutralizes a whole outpost now, if it's on-level.

Suicide is the most stupidly powerful single target quickhack, but I started feeling a bit bad using it so I'm using the one that's just as powerful but renders unconscious. In fact I'm more and more inclined to non-lethality, as my character is getting sick of all the carnage and wants to get on with sorting out her biochip problem these days.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
there's ZERO benefits in killing enemies instead of stunning them, and you get a mod early on that makes all you guns non-lethal (WHUT?), so I'm not even sure why that exists.
sorry to chime in this late but i read this thread just to waste time and you people chatter too much u_u
there's 100% benefit in stunning enemies instead, because once you stun them you get the bounty, but then you can go back at killing each one of them to get those bounties again.
no idea if's been patched out. once i found out this my street cred, still very low, skyrocketed.

Enemies that were stunned should wake up after a certain time (perks could determine/increase the longevity) just as they do in MGS. Removing items from their body should decrease that time even more and taking their weapons should send them (and others around them) into the alert state by default. Once they wake up, of course.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
BUT I DID GET CLOSE TO HIM USING THE TOOLS YOU GAVE ME AND BEAT HIM UNCONSCIOUS WITH MY DILDO YOU BASTARD GAME!!!

*sassafrassarassa*

That thing is OP. Craftable to 1300+ dps with multi-elementary damage. Absolutely degenerate.

Was the dead daughter there for exposition only? For some reason you can pick her up so I jackassed her to the end of the pier expecting a different quest ending.

Regina's Watson gigs are the least satisfying, but given Watson is the starting neighborhood, they are essentially tutorial gigs.

Yeah I've been assiduously upgrading that thing as I go, I'm a crafter so I'm gonna make it Epic at some point. The fact that you can beat people up with a dildo is almost worth the game's price of admission on its own, and you can prize it out of my cold, dead hands. (I love that it hums too, and does that thing of extra purring when you hit :) )

So far as I know, she was only for the exposition.

Hey! What about all the online Nigerian conmen?

Enemies that were stunned should wake up after a certain time (perks could determine/increase the longevity) just as they do in MGS. Removing items from their body should decrease that time even more and taking their weapons should send them (and others around them) into the alert state by default. Once they wake up, of course.
pure fake news, my friend. pure and simple. they stay on the ground forever and ever.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

pure fake news, my friend. pure and simple. they stay on the ground forever and ever.

What? I know. I didn't say they do it, I'm saying what they SHOULD be doing and how to fix it. :lol:
It's certainly more important than adding stupid and irrelevant bullshit to random NPCs.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
After around 40 hours I finished yesterday the main plot of Cyberpunk 2077. I have enjoyed the game like a pig, mainly because of its plot, characters, setting and world. The game is truly brilliant in those respects. Where CD Projekt, as it is not surprising, stands out. However, the game has several problems in the rest of its facets. On its RPG side, resembling games like Fallout: New Vegas or the recent The Outer Worlds, it suffers from a poor dialog system in which only those decisions we make near the end matter. There are few dialogue options that depend on how we have constituted our character. There are no attributes like charisma, or abilities that give us extra dialogue. V is a predefined character, and only a few dialogue options depend on its origin. There's C&C, but in very small doses. As a looter shooter, resembling games like Borderlands, it pales because of an inconsistent AI (which sometimes gets stuck in the middle of a shootout, sometimes they are able to rotate and catch us from behind). And from an uninspired gear loot system. With weapons that only vary mainly at the level of numbers, and very few actually provide something new at the playable level. The interesting jumps are when we go from power weapons to smart ones, for example. But the game holds few surprises in this regard. Finally in its sandbox facet, resembling games like GTA, the game fails at the level of interaction with the city. Few leisure activities to do, NPCs with very poor routines and a broken launch cop system. It feels from several generations ago. Night city is undoubtedly the best city ever created in a video game in terms of physical design and setting. But it doesn't feel alive enough. There are many surprises, mind it. But it could have been much more.

Now it only remains to see to what extent CD Projekt wants (and can) improve the game. It is a studio whose reputation is currently in tatters. But if they have a good reputation for something, it is for supporting their games. The first The Witcher games saw their respective "Enhanced editions", which improved and added content to the games. And The Witcher 3 saw numerous patches, free dlcs, and content expansions. The ball is in the polski court. Is Cyberpunk 2077 worth it? I think it its. Especially if you like the cyberpunk genre and other media related to it. But if you don't feel any urge, it may be a better option to wait a bit for it to be better optimized and polished. In a way, it is a game that shares strengths and weaknesses with The Witcher 3. The main difference is that the latter knew how to hide and make up its shortcomings much better.

49642d436e631dc921ee74b2a4fbef2bo.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom