Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SMT ΙΙΙ Nocturne is the best game in the Megaten universe. And it's a proper RPG.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How do Strange Journey deluxe (the 3ds one) and both SMTIV games run via emulation now?
Skip IV and just go for IVA. IVA has incredibly shitty atmosphere/characters but the best combat in the entire series by far, while SMT IV starts pretty strong but quickly becomes a snoozefest, the game just wasn't well balanced enough for its quality of life stuff that allow you to always have quasi-perfect selection of skills in your demon party.

Skip IV and just go for IVA.

DON'T skip SMTIV, even if just for the story reasons (Apocalypse is 'what if? scenario that takes place during SMTIV neutral route)', it's pure despair full of sick shit.

Honestly, while I slighlty prefer vanilla over Aopocalypse, I cannot think of these games as separate beings, it's duology just like Innocent Sin / Eternal Punishment.

Amurada

Educated
Skip everything that don't run in a single screen like where proper human beings play games.

Those 3DS shit is for subhuman manlings.

Strange Journey (even 3DS remake) and both 4's are easily among top 5 MegaTen so...
Strange Journey has my favorite setting/initial concept for just about any JRPG. The main issue is that it isn't done justice being a traditional first-person dungeon crawler.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Skip everything that don't run in a single screen like where proper human beings play games.

Those 3DS shit is for subhuman manlings.

If you skip 3ds , you don't got play the best Megaten game , Devil survivor Overclocked. You know , the SMT game with actual characters with motivations and personality , interesting story and best system of routes/choices in the series. Law and chaos endings that doesn't suck.

Oh yeah this thread is about smt3..It's okay game , overrated tho.

Last edited:
I played a bit of Overclocked... but I just couldn't. The combat felt so incredibly slow-paced to me. Transitioning in and out of combat just took so long. It's a shame, too, because I have heard that it's not only a great strategy RPG but one of the best Megaten games pretty unanimously.

I didn't have a whole lot of luck playing it on Citra, either. Kept crashing. I would probably give it another go if I could play it with a fast-forward button.

spekkio

Arcane
Transitioning in and out of combat just took so long.
Are you talking about the "unit positioning" thing? 'Cuz except of that there's no transitioning whatsoever in this game.

I didn't have a whole lot of luck playing it on Citra, either. Kept crashing.
Playing now on Nightly 1659, zero crashes despite me using quicksaves constantly. You have to, at least to "go back into game after closing the emu", because it still fails to render the intro properly (you have to wait until it loops for the second time for the main menu to show up).

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC Overclocked (or at least the sequel) had an option to make units move faster in the battlefield. The first game is cool indeed, except for the Yuzu route, which this expansion supposedly improves, but the second one... Urgh, I find it too anime-ish and yet it's supposed to be tame compared to the Derpsona games. I'm not sure if I should bother with playing it until the end and then again to see the other endings, when I don't like or care about the characters or the plot. The gameplay is good as always, at least (except for the bossed "inspired" by Evangelion angels, who blatantly cheat).

Transitioning in and out of combat just took so long.
Are you talking about the "unit positioning" thing? 'Cuz except of that there's no transitioning whatsoever in this game.

I didn't have a whole lot of luck playing it on Citra, either. Kept crashing.
Playing now on Nightly 1659, zero crashes despite me using quicksaves constantly. You have to, at least to "go back into game after closing the emu", because it still fails to render the intro properly (you have to wait until it loops for the second time for the main menu to show up).

Transitioning into combat and the battle screen itself just felt really slow and ponderous. Granted I was trying Overclocked straight after playing Shining Force with 2x fast forward, and the last SMT game I played prior to Overclocked was SJ: Redux which has settings that allows you to quicken combat animations significantly.

Transitioning into a battle screen, watching individual combat animations play out, exitting the battle screen and doing that for every single interaction felt really slow compared to something like Shining Force or Tactics Ogre. But if Citra's working I'll give it another go one of these days.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
IIRC Overclocked (or at least the sequel) had an option to make units move faster in the battlefield. The first game is cool indeed, except for the Yuzu route, which this expansion supposedly improves, but the second one... Urgh, I find it too anime-ish and yet it's supposed to be tame compared to the Derpsona games. I'm not sure if I should bother with playing it until the end and then again to see the other endings, when I don't like or care about the characters or the plot. The gameplay is good as always, at least (except for the bossed "inspired" by Evangelion angels, who blatantly cheat).

I liked the second one, mainly because i dont mind anime aspect so much and gameplay is good enough to carry.

There's some good characters (Anguished one , Joe e Airi imo) and Record Breaker second campain has a the best smt ending imo.

I played both one OG 3ds so maybe that why didn't felt slow and there's indeed a option to increase the speed of Overclocked.

Game balance has been adjusted in the DLC “Young Master’s Compassion” and “Master’s Expectations”. [Respectively, this was DLC designed to obtain items in an exclusive map to gain more experience points and more money. The difficulty of these maps was previously disproportionate, killing players when they were designed to help players progress.]
:smug:

Derringer

Prophet
DeSu2's playable but the only reason why you'd finish it is for the Kaworu ripoff faggot. You kind of want to play through it but the payoff at the end just doesn't work. There's plenty of worse shit you could play but I wouldn't expect anything that'd make you think it was worth bothering with in the first place though.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
I don't remember ever having to grind in vanilla Nocturne.
Yeah, it's not like you don't have a battle every 10 steps (optimistic estimation), even in the cities.

The skill inheritence thing is super good news. We just need a PC version now.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Desu2 might have the worst story in any Megami Tensei game but combat was decent enough. DeSu1 is actually a good game combat/story wise but Strange Journey/Nocturne are above everything else. Also Airi is trash tier it is all about Makoto, Fumi and Otome.

I was planning to skip Nocturne remastered but I think it is worth to buy just for skill inheritance. Would be cool if it gets ported to PC so it would be playable with hardtype mod

CyberModuled

Savant
Nocturne HD release confirmed for May 25th, pre-orders start tomorrow which most likely means an announcement trailer.

o7xuek.jpg

Also don't take it as a 100% guarantee, but based on the Unity code rips on the Switch version and how P5 Strikers announced it, they might also confirm the PC version if they do a trailer tomorrow.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I mean, I would love to see more SMT titles on PC, but this """""HD"""" port is just an insolence. Couldn't even be arsed to increase the music quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom