Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

So how playable is this in a proper murdermachine? "Should" be getting the damn 3080 next week.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anyway... it's still probably worthless overall, you find plenty of great weapons and I'll probably find a legendary revolver in 10 minutes that beats it, but for a hot second there it was a nice dopamine hit when the numbers went up up up.

I've noticed crafted legendaries have more mod slots than looted ones, and the ability to craft exact the weapons you want at the highest level available is useful instead of relying totally on RNG. Looted Purples and Oranges are actually pretty rare, at least for me. So I don't think crafting is bad anymore. It's just that Normal isn't tough enough to warrant it. On Hard/Very Hard it seems worth it.
Every time I see an youtuber "reviewer" saying crafting is useless, just reaffirms my conviction that those "reviewer" youtubers must be chemically castrated for the good of humanity. You need crafting to get the legendary versions of the iconic weapons that are OP as hell and to make the higher quality versions of weapon and clothing mods. Having a full legendary clothing set with lots of higher quality armadillo mods, you can get up to 12000 of armor by just doing a few crits or your life getting bellow 45% with the cold something perk tree. If you get that perk that gives you 50% damage reduction for 10 seconds after losing 50% of health, you can just tank any boss on very hard and murder him with Oda's katana or a clip of a legendary quasar pistol with 100% crit chance and 200% crit damage.

You also need crafting to recraft legendary weapons to keep them at your level because some genius at CDPR decided to make upgrading costs grow on an exponential fashion and soon, buying all the upgrade components from all Night City guns shops wont be enough to upgrade a single pistol. You also get random perks when crafting a legendary so you can get a really op gun that otherwise would pratically impossible to get.

My problem with this game is that all of this is useless even on very hard, the game has that retarded Witcher level scaling, meaning, if you reach a higher enough level, you are immortal and if your level is too low, random street trash take more bullets than a Terminator and all your build, that you did, that pales in comparison with the bonus from leveling. This level scaling seems to have a much bigger impact than your stats. What is the point of killing a dude with single hit with 2000 damage or 200.000 damage? Man, that is what you get with the youtube and media tards that kept fellating Witcher 3 non-stop and made CDPR think they are good game designers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My problem with this game is that all of this is useless even on very hard, the game has that retarded Witcher level scaling, meaning, if you reach a higher enough level, you are immortal and if your level is too low, random street trash take more bullets than a Terminator and all your build, that you did, that pales in comparison with the bonus from leveling. This level scaling seems to have a much bigger impact than your stats. What is the point of killing a dude with single hit with 2000 damage or 200.000 damage? Man, that is what you get with the youtube and media tards that kept fellating Witcher 3 non-stop and made CDPR think they are good game designers.

Since I love the setting and enjoy the core gameplay loop despite its issues, I really do look forward to what kind of rebalance mods might come out for this. I tend to bounce off those a lot of the time because they make shit annoying rather than difficult because they're made by autists, but a good one could do wonders for this game.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Every character you interact with is so obviously good, that you start to wonder where are all those bad and evil ones that Night City is apparently so full of.
I've been saying this since day 1, while most people were giggling at T-posing NPCs.

Which is why I believe Codex are just full of fps chuds but of turn-based variety.

orcinator

Liturgist
- Takemura's float garage infiltration
Just a large outpost with multiple ways to enter.
- Takemura's float parade kidnapping
Linear setpiece that supposedly has multiple routes but I randomly got instakilled when I tried to take a shortcut across the floats so I stopped trying. Also boring boss fight.
Only interesting aspect is that you don't get a quest marker telling you to "save samurai man (optional)"
- Rescuing Saul
Large outpost
- Getting conned by the "vintage" BD salesman (don't wanna spoil)
This was the one good quest I mentioned. What makes it good is that it takes away your regen inhalers. Sadly it's short and you can just instawin with hacks.
- Killing the Animals member in their fight club (that one is a bit too simple if you do the fight first)
Was that the one for the Beat on the Meat mission or the boss fight at the GIM or something else? Neither of those were particularly interesting.
- Infiltrating GIM
A thoroughly braindead stealth mission with a boring boss. Or a large outpost with a boring boss.

Didn't do the other ones, not feeling particularly optimistic about their quality.

You can also cheese all of these in the most boring way possible, but I guess it depends on how much you want to enjoy the game.
Ultimately the problem with the game is that the braindead enemies, infinite near-instant healing (far worse mechanic than the classic CoD health regen) and shitty RPG mechanics make it so there really is no interesting way to approach a mission no matter how many "choices" (preferences, really) it presents.

SoupNazi

orcinator said:
Just a large outpost with multiple ways to enter.
Sure, if you want to look at it that way. But then you can also get inside the warehouse multiple ways (after entering the compound using one of the multiple ways, including stealing the faction's vehicle). And then in the warehouse itself you can reach the objective multiple ways. What more do you want? Genuinely, what would be your idea of a better mission setup, while keeping with the objective (sabotaging a vehicle)?

orcinator said:
Linear setpiece that supposedly has multiple routes but I randomly got instakilled when I tried to take a shortcut across the floats so I stopped trying. Also boring boss fight.
Only interesting aspect is that you don't get a quest marker telling you to "save samurai man (optional)"
Yeah, boss fights in this game are stupid. I didn't get killed on the floats - got on two in two separate tries:
https://streamable.com/?page=1 (here I also bypassed the elevator ride even though it was probably pointless)
https://streamable.com/?page=1 (shitty video, but proves it's a different float)

orcinator said:
This was the one good quest I mentioned. What makes it good is that it takes away your regen inhalers. Sadly it's short and you can just instawin with hacks.
I mean... you can instawin any game by installing a trainer. Or win even more by not playing and watching a YT playthrough instead. I don't know, I don't mind criticizing games but if you are so compulsive that you can't just stop yourself from abusing the game's inconsistencies in a way that makes it NOT FUN for you, maybe you should consider a different approach.

orcinator said:
Was that the one for the Beat on the Meat mission or the boss fight at the GIM or something else? Neither of those were particularly interesting.
This is something else. You get it from one of the fixers, and you have to assassinate an Animals member in their gym/fight club. And if you do the Beat on the Brat mission first, it gets easier because you're friendly with everyone inside. That's what I found interesting.

orcinator said:
Ultimately the problem with the game is that the braindead enemies, infinite near-instant healing (far worse mechanic than the classic CoD health regen) and shitty RPG mechanics make it so there really is no interesting way to approach a mission no matter how many "choices" (preferences, really) it presents.
Totally agreed on the braindead enemies, and I too had something like 200+ regen items by the endgame but on Very Hard difficulty you rarely get the chance to use them because by then you're usually dead. I dunno, I understand your problems with the game and I definitely agree it needs improvements and is far from perfect. But that's what I was saying in the first place - it has some really promising missions and level design that, if improved a little bit, could be legendary. There are clear signs of potential in this game which I haven't seen in a long time in any FPS. :shrug:

Old Hans

Arcane

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Am I missing something or are half of the named "bosses" just complete randos? Did I not read a note somewhere or something?

orcinator

Liturgist
What more do you want? Genuinely, what would be your idea of a better mission setup, while keeping with the objective (sabotaging a vehicle)?
For the choices to fucking matter™
Different approaches to complete a mission are completely pointless when one is as good as the other thanks to the poor gameplay, it's the wide as an ocean shallow as a puddle problem. You can't really do much unless you overhaul the game, but the least you could do is make a ghost only, no hax stealth mission (ideally with enemies that have patrol routes instead of staring at walls for easy takedowns).
it has some really promising missions and level design
Good level design needs to act in harmony with the gameplay, Cyberpunk's level design is actually pretty shit since most of the time it's just a realistic building layout with enemies placed at random and pointless gimmicks.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is something else. You get it from one of the fixers, and you have to assassinate an Animals member in their gym/fight club. And if you do the Beat on the Brat mission first, it gets easier because you're friendly with everyone inside. That's what I found interesting.

Wow, I didn't know that, having not done any of the boxing matches. That's very good, and much more the sort of thing one expects of an RPG.

Such a sadly unfinished game with so much potential - clearly the intention for lots of deliciously knotty C&C was there at some point in the development of the game, there are so many hints of it.

ADL

Prophet
What are the damn DLCs gonna be about? The endings are too different to be a continuation but then again I thought the same thing about various seasons of Telltale games that bullshit a way to bring it all back on track.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Good level design needs to act in harmony with the gameplay, Cyberpunk's level design is actually pretty shit since most of the time it's just a realistic building layout with enemies placed at random and pointless gimmicks.

Perhaps sir would prefer a nice game of chess? ;)

alyvain

Learned
Every character you interact with is so obviously good, that you start to wonder where are all those bad and evil ones that Night City is apparently so full of.

All of the gangs and people associated with them except for that nomad clan. The groups producing snuff films (we see two of them we think, I think), a club-owning rapist who sells the girls after he's had enough with them, you name it. All the corpos with no exceptions. The padre fixer and the all-American dude fixer.

Well, it's practically everyone except for seven or eight people who are (unsurprisingly) closest to the player character.

What are the damn DLCs gonna be about? The endings are too different to be a continuation but then again I thought the same thing about various seasons of Telltale games that bullshit a way to bring it all back on track.

Hoping for a DLC that continutes the Nomad ending, in fact now that I think about it, that seems like the most likely way for them to go. I don't see them just adding stuff like "now you're johnny in the past" since it would invalidate having made a character.
V deserves a good ending

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Could be prequels with different protagonists - for example a DLC where you play as Jackie (joining and leaving Valentinos) would be pretty rad.

alyvain

Learned
They could have cut some boring districts and stuff, like the badlands. They could even eliminate the driving system altogether, it wouln't be neccesary. It's actually a pleasure to go to places walking at times, so they could have reinforced that making the exploration more intimate like in Vampire: Bloodlines. I'm not in the idea of cutting the sandbox aspect of Cyberpunk 2077. But I see the point, they game could benefited a lot in regards of interactivy and scripting if the map were smaller.

The more cyberpunky-districts are amazing to walk through. They have hidden short-cuts, they are multi-layered. To some extent, they are good for parkouring, especially when you have double-jump-metroidvania legs. As long as you don't fall through a fake roof, of course.

This "big-world" nonsense wasn't good for the Witcher 3 and it is not good now. I think the game would benefit if the world were two or three times smaller, more tight and you didn't have a driver-license.

Yoomazir

Educated
Allright, finally finished the game, 100+ hours in, Nomad ending, 2 things:

- A 3rd person cutscene, at the very end? Why the fuck didn't they include more of them throughout the game for fuck sake?

- Nomad ending not canon, can't stand seeing Takemura pissed in the credits, so I'm gonna pick another ending that gives me a happy Takemura, and that'll be the canon one, fight me.

Overall I enjoyed beta testing this game, will try the other paths and endings, and then I'll wait 2 more years to play the complete, overhauled, expansions included, version.

SoupNazi

For the choices to fucking matter™
Different approaches to complete a mission are completely pointless when one is as good as the other thanks to the poor gameplay, it's the wide as an ocean shallow as a puddle problem. You can't really do much unless you overhaul the game, but the least you could do is make a ghost only, no hax stealth mission (ideally with enemies that have patrol routes instead of staring at walls for easy takedowns).

They matter in the context of you getting different responses from NPCs, and (most importantly) for you to have a different gameplay experience. Again, in complete seriousness, what do you expect? You basically gave me a buzzword.

On one hand you want a ghost only, no hax stealth mission, on the other hand you want options. Which is it? If you want a pure stealth game like that, play uh... I don't know, that game from the 2nd world war where you play a female spy - I forgot what it's called - you basically get that 100 percent of the time, iirc.

I'm just confused about your messaging, call me a retard but I'm not sure what exactly you want/expect from this game. I'm comparing it to the original Deus Ex, and saying that the missions I listed are close to that level of greatness, just need a few improvements in my opinion - but maybe that's where we differ.

Robber Baron

Savant
>yfw you whistle an enemy through a camera to open you a 15 tech req door from the inside

57c.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They need to fill the city with life. Its the best aspect of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom