Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Silverfish

Arbiter
He don't miss:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He don't miss:

I guess this is a joke or is he serious? The 'malfunction/irregularity' mentioned in the 'glitch' definition is exactly what the bugs are about and the screenshot he quotes even uses computer glitch as an example. Of course glitches are reproducible - not only in computer programs but also mechanical glitches. They do not happen because of magic, there is always a reason they happen and what defines them is that they are unexpected and unintentional, not that they are untraceable, unreproducible or unfixable.

The fact that he ends with 'developers should stop making simulators and make games' makes me think that he's joking because all games are simulators of systems and if the system rules (be it some abstract combat system or a realistic 3D physics system) do not take into account all possible interactions then you'll have "glitches". That or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

dear joseph has a competitor.

Jesus Christ.

tenor.gif

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aside from the length, from a quick scroll through it, this video is the first one that seems to be the only "analytical" video on Morrowind that focuses on the xbox version - which is interesting as i never played that version (or even had an xbox), so perhaps i'll check it out later.

(though he might be using OpenMW with the gamepad UI, but i doubt it because of the aspect ratio)

EDIT: i finished watching it, it was actually very interesting. It essentially goes through most questlines (e.g. guild questlines) with commentary on them (using different characters), including some bits about the writers of the quests and the game's development. While it is a ~8 hour video, it is broken in parts so it is more like several concatenated videos than a single one.

Also the xbox bit is more of a joke "i'll play the game in its worst version (xbox version running emulated under xbox 360) to show how great the game is even without mods" though he switches to OpenMW for the main quest around 2/3rd of the video.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

Holy fuck.

This is one of the rare cases where i find a video that is packed with someone's opinions and very long and i agree with pretty much all of them (except a few i have no opinion about because i made a single playthrough). Great video.

I especially loved the mini rant in part 2 about the many complaints with people saying the game is 'not an rpg' only because they didn't liked it even though Witcher 3 had shallower mechanics and yet didn't had such a reaction because people liked it more (honestly, i'm not making that part justice with my description, watch it :-P). Also how deep RPGs are pretty much dead in the mainstream industry.

Unsurprisingly, several comments (from those i bothered to read, there are 1k+ comments there) didn't like that bit and expectedly the reasons they give for it not being an RPG either have nothing to do with the game's mechanics or miss the point of the comparison with Witcher 3 which didn't have such a backlash about its 'RPG-ness' :-P.

A horse of course

Holy fuck.

This is one of the rare cases where i find a video that is packed with someone's opinions and very long and i agree with pretty much all of them (except a few i have no opinion about because i made a single playthrough). Great video.

I especially loved the mini rant in part 2 about the many complaints with people saying the game is 'not an rpg' only because they didn't liked it even though Witcher 3 had shallower mechanics and yet didn't had such a reaction because people liked it more (honestly, i'm not making that part justice with my description, watch it :-P). Also how deep RPGs are pretty much dead in the mainstream industry.

Unsurprisingly, several comments (from those i bothered to read, there are 1k+ comments there) didn't like that bit and expectedly the reasons they give for it not being an RPG either have nothing to do with the game's mechanics or miss the point of the comparison with Witcher 3 which didn't have such a backlash about its 'RPG-ness' :-P.

I like NKB's videos but the whole Witcher vs. Cyberpunk section is a hulking strawman. Innumerable people are - and were - criticizing Cyberpunk as an RPG for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with The Witcher series. And CDPozzjekt knew this themselves, because they stopped marketing it as an RPG and switched to calling it an "open-world action-adventure". He throws out wild fallacies like "nobody said anything about Witcher 2" and "they liked it because it had a great story", even pulling out the old "well you can't argue about whether a game is an RPG or not anyway :>)". He ends the segment with, and I quote:

"If you want to dislike Cyberpunk 2077 don't try to claim because it's a shallow RPG. Find a reason to dislike it that's actually true."

He made this video far too early, with his head still full of youtube bandwagoning or random twitter or 4chinz memes about GTA and dangerhairs. He should've focused on the "review" parts of the video (which are fine) and held off on trying to analyze the game in the context of the RPG genre. As it is the video is immediately dated, and I doubt it'll be seen much outside of Cyberpozz shills spamming it to win arguments with those hardcore old-school CRPG enthusiasts who think Witcher 3 is the epitome of RPGs - a demographic that apparently constitute the bulk of Cyberpunk critics, in his mind.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Holy fuck.

I like NKB's videos but the whole Witcher vs. Cyberpunk section is a hulking strawman. Innumerable people are - and were - criticizing Cyberpunk as an RPG for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with The Witcher series. And CDPozzjekt knew this themselves, because they stopped marketing it as an RPG and switched to calling it an "open-world action-adventure". He throws out wild fallacies like "nobody said anything about Witcher 2" and "they liked it because it had a great story", even pulling out the old "well you can't argue about whether a game is an RPG or not anyway :>)". He ends the segment with, and I quote:

"If you want to dislike Cyberpunk 2077 don't try to claim because it's a shallow RPG. Find a reason to dislike it that's actually true."

He made this video far too early, with his head still full of youtube bandwagoning or random twitter or 4chinz memes about GTA and dangerhairs. He should've focused on the "review" parts of the video (which are fine) and held off on trying to analyze the game in the context of the RPG genre. As it is the video is immediately dated, and I doubt it'll be seen much outside of Cyberpozz shills spamming it to win arguments with those hardcore old-school CRPG enthusiasts who think Witcher 3 is the epitome of RPGs - a demographic that apparently constitute the bulk of Cyberpunk critics, in his mind.

Probably wants to get his share of the views due controversy and get the sweet sweet adbucks.

A horse of course

Holy fuck.

Probably wants to get his share of the views due controversy and get the sweet sweet adbucks.

I agree, you can see him brownnosing bigger creators on twatter for giving him "exposure". Ironically, he sneers at youtubers jumping on the newest fad topic right at the start of the video.

HansDampf

Arcane
No in-video ads this time.
:shitposting:

So... is CP an RPG?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

I think you're also missing the point of the Witcher 3 comparison.

The point (with which i fully agree) is quite simple: Witcher 3's RPG mechanics are more shallow than Cyberpunk 2077's RPG mechanics so the backlash about Cyberpunk 2077 not being an RPG is really about not liking Cyberpunk 2077 as Witcher 3 didn't have such a backlash because people actually liked it. The entire part is really about how people have double standards about calling a game an RPG based on if they like it or not instead of its actual mechanics.

This also isn't about if Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 is the better game (he even overlays some bit of text there saying that he likes Witcher 3 more) but purely about the whole "is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG?" to which the video essentially responds with "if you thought Witcher 3 is an RPG then certainly Cyberpunk 2077 is also an RPG and even has deeper mechanics compared to Witcher 3".

A horse of course

I think you're also missing the point of the Witcher 3 comparison.

The point (with which i fully agree) is quite simple: Witcher 3's RPG mechanics are more shallow than Cyberpunk 2077's RPG mechanics so the backlash about Cyberpunk 2077 not being an RPG is really about not liking Cyberpunk 2077 as Witcher 3 didn't have such a backlash because people actually liked it. The entire part is really about how people have double standards about calling a game an RPG based on if they like it or not instead of its actual mechanics.

This also isn't about if Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 is the better game (he even overlays some bit of text there saying that he likes Witcher 3 more) but purely about the whole "is Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG?" to which the video essentially responds with "if you thought Witcher 3 is an RPG then certainly Cyberpunk 2077 is also an RPG and even has deeper mechanics compared to Witcher 3".

He uses the strawman of Witcher 3 as a shield to defend Cyberpunk against criticism of its "RPG" mechanics. His criticisms of W3 are all entirely true and fair, they're also completely meaningless in the context of whether Cyberpunk is a shitty RPG or not.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
He uses the strawman of Witcher 3 as a shield to defend Cyberpunk against criticism of its "RPG" mechanics. His criticisms of W3 are all entirely true and fair, they're also completely meaningless in the context of whether Cyberpunk is a shitty RPG or not.

Did you watch the same video? What "strawman" are you referring to and what short of "defend" is there? He even mentions outright in the video that CP2077 has shallow RPG mechanics and if you want anything deeper you should either look at years past or in smaller titles while showing examples of both.

It isn't even a comparison to show if the game is a "shitty" RPG or not, it is to show that Cyberpunk is at least as much of an RPG as Witcher 3. The comparison is made because there wasn't a backlash about how much Witcher 3 is not an RPG, while there is one about Cyberpunk 2077.

It isn't a criticism of Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 mechanics, it is a criticism of people who call something "not an RPG" based on their disliking of a game or not instead of its mechanics.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Reading the YouTube comments made me hate storyfags more then ever.
"Yes generic storyfag,if i have 70 skills compared to 5,it makes it a better rpg because it gives me options(regardless of quality) IN THE GAME PLAY DEPARTMENT OF A VIDEO GAME".

Torment got away with it because the writing is top notch and the entire game was centered around it.Disco Elysium does the same but is worse in every category.

A horse of course

He even mentions outright in the video that CP2077 has shallow RPG mechanics and if you want anything deeper you should either look at years past or in smaller titles while showing examples of both.

He explicitly states that he isn't just comparing Witch3r and Cyberpozz, but defending Cyberpunk as an RPG in general. The entire section is completely pointless because the vast majority of Cyberpunk criticism was NOT claiming Witcher 3 was "more of an RPG" than Cyberkrunk. Based on my impression of forums, youtube comments, twatter and user comments on gaming sites, it was criticized for excising things from the tabletop game (classes etc.), for quietly cutting features prior to release, for writing the story around a shitty meme actor, for departing from the tone of the announcement trailer, for courting e-celebs and putting them in the game as memes, and so on and so forth. I saw plenty of people saying Witcher 3 was a better game. But in all of the pre-release and post-release criticisms, I witnessed very little that specifically compared Cyberpunk and Witch3r as role playing games. Therefore, the entire rant is just one massive strawman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom