Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
originally 4A were planning to add multiplayer during Metro Last Light development, but first THQ went bankrupt, and then the whole Ukraine revolution/Crimea thing happened. Because of that the multuplayer part was cancelled.
Not to mention that the Russian scum attacking Ukraine also destroyed the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, or at least put the last nail in their coffin. Everything Russia touches turns to shit.

I just want to say that those fucking Metro books are so damn good. FML, they're so, so good. Easily, they could've made a FPS RPG in that setting. I've heard they even have the original author writing for the video game. What a fucking waste...

Initially, Metro 2033 was supposed to be a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game. I was really excited about it back in the day. I hope they make a non-liniar open-world Metro game, with factions, quests and exploration, but I can't really see this happening.

The first Metro 2033 builds looked like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods:

Even outdoor areas were exactly like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
CoD with a Stalker reskin. I kept hearing about Metro for years until I actually looked at the game when someone called it that. It's a pretty accurate comparison.

tritosine2k

Erudite
(...)

Initially, Metro 2033 was supposed to be a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game. I was really excited about it back in the day. I hope they make a non-liniar open-world Metro game, with factions, quests and exploration, but I can't really see this happening.

(...)

(...)

VERY interesting. An idea that struck with me is how a "balls to the wall" optimized ambient shadow technology should be shown with landscape close to Dead City from M2033. Link for 375 build somewhere? One in YT description is down.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have been playing a lot of Metro Exodus the last few days. It plays a lot like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or at least the way Stalker was initially planned-large areas, avoidable mutants, few human enemies. Despite what some people have said, the exploration is rewarding because of the upgrades and the materials. Having to use materials to keep your weapon in good shape is nice. I like the day and night cycle. At night, mutants are more active and humans are more vulnerable.

A lot of people seem to forget that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had rudimentary stealth that worked horrendously. The stealth in Metro Exodus is far more complex and actually works. Observing the enemies, calculating how many you are facing and planning accordingly whether to attack openly or through stealth is great.

Importantly, mutant behavior is also far more fleshed out than S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mutants are attracted by gunfire and noise, the smaller ones attack only in packs. Mutants are scared when wounded. You can sneak past them. The different mutant types actually have different behavior, fighting style and weaknesses. Since ammunition and resources is scarce, you cannot waste much fighting mutants.

Playing the game at the hardest difficulty (or at least on hardcore) is challenging and feels like playing a fleshed-out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Eastern European post-communist atmosphere is so bleak and cool. Metro Exodus is far better than 2033/Last Light and for the first time has began to feel like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. It even has anomalies.

Of course, it lacks most of the strenghts that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has-no interaction with characters, side quests so rudimentary it feels wrong calling them that, no trading. The lack of settlements, side quests and character interaction is such a wasted opportunity. I have played only the Volga area so far, it feels a lot like Zaton.

I unironically think that the game is underrated on the Codex solely because Metro 2033/Last Light were linear popamole shooters with no exploration. At least so far, Metro Exodus has been very different.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Initially, Metro 2033 was supposed to be a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style game.

both of these locations are in the final game.

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
The original metro just looks really fucking bland and slow while Exodus looks like your atipycal linear FPS with crafting and open-world elements, not nearly as bad for what that's worth. I've seen worse games but 2033 definitely doesn't look appealing at all, I'm being way too harsh calling it CoD just because of the unbearably long cutscenes plaguing newer shooting games though, it just looks so damn scripted. Nothing Cheat Engine can't fix, I'm just not really sure if I'd ever bother. I was looking up the developing company and it's located in Ukraine, but that's considered southern europe? Maybe the discussions I was hearing was dumb shit from the Ukranian civil war that was being stirred up over clay from both sides a few years ago, I dunno anymore.

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane
I have been playing a lot of Metro Exodus the last few days. It plays a lot like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or at least the way Stalker was initially planned-large areas, avoidable mutants, few human enemies. Despite what some people have said, the exploration is rewarding because of the upgrades and the materials. Having to use materials to keep your weapon in good shape is nice. I like the day and night cycle. At night, mutants are more active and humans are more vulnerable.

A lot of people seem to forget that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had rudimentary stealth that worked horrendously. The stealth in Metro Exodus is far more complex and actually works. Observing the enemies, calculating how many you are facing and planning accordingly whether to attack openly or through stealth is great.

Importantly, mutant behavior is also far more fleshed out than S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mutants are attracted by gunfire and noise, the smaller ones attack only in packs. Mutants are scared when wounded. You can sneak past them. The different mutant types actually have different behavior, fighting style and weaknesses. Since ammunition and resources is scarce, you cannot waste much fighting mutants.

Playing the game at the hardest difficulty (or at least on hardcore) is challenging and feels like playing a fleshed-out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The Eastern European post-communist atmosphere is so bleak and cool. Metro Exodus is far better than 2033/Last Light and for the first time has began to feel like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. It even has anomalies.

Of course, it lacks most of the strenghts that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has-no interaction with characters, side quests so rudimentary it feels wrong calling them that, no trading. The lack of settlements, side quests and character interaction is such a wasted opportunity. I have played only the Volga area so far, it feels a lot like Zaton.

I unironically think that the game is underrated on the Codex solely because Metro 2033/Last Light were linear popamole shooters with no exploration. At least so far, Metro Exodus has been very different.
LOL. Exodus does NOT have "few human enemies" or "avoidable mutants". As for exploration you cant possibly compare Exodus to Stalker. I wouldnt even know where to start explaining why Stalker with actual factions warfare, side quests, proper crafting, UNSCRIPTED world events is a much more superior open world game. Oh wait i know actually. Exodus is a liner FPS with couple of big areas so comparing it to stalker is laughable and wrong.

JDR13

Arcane
The original metro just looks really fucking bland and slow while Exodus looks like your atipycal linear FPS with crafting and open-world elements, not nearly as bad for what that's worth. I've seen worse games but 2033 definitely doesn't look appealing at all, I'm being way too harsh calling it CoD just because of the unbearably long cutscenes plaguing newer shooting games though, it just looks so damn scripted. Nothing Cheat Engine can't fix, I'm just not really sure if I'd ever bother. I was looking up the developing company and it's located in Ukraine, but that's considered southern europe? Maybe the discussions I was hearing was dumb shit from the Ukranian civil war that was being stirred up over clay from both sides a few years ago, I dunno anymore.

"Looks"

In other words, you've never actually played any of them.

JDR13

Arcane
LOL. Exodus does NOT have "few human enemies" or "avoidable mutants". As for exploration you cant possibly compare Exodus to Stalker. I wouldnt even know where to start explaining why Stalker with actual factions warfare, side quests, proper crafting, UNSCRIPTED world events is a much more superior open world game. Oh wait i know actually. Exodus is a liner FPS with couple of big areas so comparing it to stalker is laughable and wrong.

You sound like an autistic fanboy.

Derringer

Prophet
Dmitry Glukhovsky was born and raised in Moscow to an intelligentsia family.[5] He graduated from a school in Arbat District and, having already decided to become a writer, conceived the idea for Metro 2033 at the age of 15.[5] At the age of 17, he left Russia to study in Israel and lived there for four and a half years.[6]

From 2002 to 2007, he worked at the global European media platform [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroNews']EuroNews
in Lyon, France, after which he returned to Russia and continued his career at the newly-created Russia Today.[/URL]
It really does look like a throwaway Stalker ripoff made by Ukranians, no wonder why other people thought of CoD. That explains the russian influence.

Last edited:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I meant weapon and armour modding and gear maintenance.
Gear manintanence better in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? How so, since there was no weapon repair in SoC. Saying that the rudimentary system for gear maintenance in CS and CoP is better than that of Metro Exodus is bizzare, since in Metro Exodus going through puddles and dirt makes your weapon dirty, as well as the normal wear on the weapon by using it, and you have to clean it regularly on a bench by using resources (which are limited), thus leading to partial repairs. You can even see your weapon getting dirty/shiny depending on your cleaning. In CS and CoP, you give a few rubles to a mechanic and your weapon is fixed completely.

Not to mention that getting shot in Metro Exodus makes a hole in your gas mask, which can be patched in combat (or you suffocate), but a full repair also requires a bench and resources.

So again, explain how the Metro Exodus system is somehow less fleshed out? I feel like you haven't actually played Metro Exodus, and I am saying that as a huge S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan.

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
Oooh I get it now, these are supposed to be the GSC guys and they went and made linear shooter cinematic trash, no wonder why people got pissed. Russians sure do love Ukranian sandbox games.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I finished it in 36 hours. I explored everything and did all side missions. I also listened to practically all dialogue, all radio stations, did everything there is around the train. I liked it most in the open areas. Dead City was phenomenal, though. I can't believe how effective it was. I got the good ending, I felt it was a little too happy, but they had to end the game (or the series? not sure about that) on a high note.

I found it bizarre how the game had so many dialogues and things to do (smoking cigarettes with the bros and the waifu, drinking, hanging out, reading your diary), yet they did not include any interactivity (dialogue options, fleshed out side quests). The games stays too true to its half-life inspiration. But the Half-Life 2 design for interactivity with characters is rightfully criticized-a silent protagonist has no place in a dilogue-heavy game.

Spoilers (not that anyone cares anymore):

I liked the idea of people in the Metro being lied to about the world ending and the use of radio jammers to keep people in the dark. It is a very Russian thing to do. I was always fascinated and disgusted by the way Russians are incapable of doing anything productive and instead always living in the dreams of war, with their entire lives only having meaning in the context of war. For more than 75 years, Russia has not done anything but keep fighting World War 2 in their hearts, over and over again. The high point in their history, with nothing ever managing to compare. In this regard, the Metro series make total sense-of course even in the apocalypse, Russians will revert to either fighting a farcical World War 2 in the Metro or seeking unexistant occupational forces once they are out of it.

I enjoyed the ending. Miller sacrificing himself to save you was both expected and natural. You basically went on a suicide mission and he knew it. The only way to save at least on of you was to give his anti-rad to you. If he used it himself, both of you would have died. The old sacrificing themselves to save the young is a nice theme. Not really applicable to real-life Russia, since there communist cucks would rather eat the young than step down gracefully, hence all communist cuck parties being comically geriatric.

I don't know if I will replay the game. With 36 hours, I thing I am among those who have got the most out of it. I have read the first 2 books of the series, after Exodus I might give the third book a try. The first two books were way better than the games, so I thing the book might be enjoyable.

I will miss chilling out on the Autora train.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
originally 4A were planning to add multiplayer during Metro Last Light development, but first THQ went bankrupt, and then the whole Ukraine revolution/Crimea thing happened. Because of that the multuplayer part was cancelled.
Not to mention that the Russian scum attacking Ukraine also destroyed the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, or at least put the last nail in their coffin. Everything Russia touches turns to shit.

I just want to say that those fucking Metro books are so damn good. FML, they're so, so good. Easily, they could've made a FPS RPG in that setting. I've heard they even have the original author writing for the video game. What a fucking waste...

Looks like they stole not only the code but everything down to textures as well, r00fles, and you have retards in this thread who will insist that it's not the same engine.

Zlaja

Arcane
I was looking up the developing company and it's located in Ukraine, but that's considered southern europe?

They relocated to Malta, I think.

I found it bizarre how the game had so many dialogues and things to do (smoking cigarettes with the bros and the waifu, drinking, hanging out, reading your diary), yet they did not include any interactivity (dialogue options, fleshed out side quests)

Yeah, this is a big flaw and makes the game less interesting for repeat playthroughs. Going through all that scripted endless yapping with no chance of any player input is just mind numbing on a second playthrough. And if it's main quest related you can't just skip it and take off, but instead you have to just stand there and wait like a dufus.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How are the two DLCs for Exodus? The Two Colonels and Sam's story? Are they linear, or do they have open-world elements like Exodus?

Starwars

Arcane
They relocated to Malta, I think.

Yeah, this is a big flaw and makes the game less interesting for repeat playthroughs. Going through all that scripted endless yapping with no chance of any player input is just mind numbing on a second playthrough. And if it's main quest related you can't just skip it and take off, but instead you have to just stand there and wait like a dufus.

It was a big part in what killed the game for me, even going through it for the first time. Could not deal with the talking. Badly written, annoying voiceacting and sometimes seemingly neverending. Terrible.

Gastrick

Cipher
The cutscenes are really obnoxious in this game, with how they last over 5 minutes. The poor level design and QTEs make the game itself not worth sitting through cutscenes for.
Good to find out though that a better series called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. exists.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The cutscenes are really obnoxious in this game, with how they last over 5 minutes. The poor level design and QTEs make the game itself not worth sitting through cutscenes for.
Good to find out though that a better series called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. exists.

If you consider "press E repeatedly" a QTE, then exodus had 1 QTE every 3-4 hours. I did not get more than 10 "press E repeatedly" events in 36 hours. The game did not have any other type of QTE. Nothing to write home about. I feel like people did not play Exodus and are talking about 2033/Last Light. The Witcher 2 had more QTEs than Exodus, ffs.

The unskippable scripted dialogue is inexcusable and I won't be replaying the game because of them, though.

Last edited:

Gastrick

Cipher
Exodus had at most 1 extremely easy non-intrusive QTE every 3-4 hours. I did not experience more than 10 QTEs in 36 hours, and they were all "press E repeatedly", i.e. no timing required. Nothing to write home about. I feel like people did not play Exodus and are talking about 2033/Last Light.
Didn't say they were David Cage-styled QTEs. It's a QTE whenever you are melee attacked by a mutant and iirc sometimes for interacting with the environment. All the drawn-out unskippable cutscenes made it unenjoyable enough to play on their own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom