Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

this studio is finished

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DA:I though was a full development release and they chose to go with MMO style checklist bullshit design for 70% of the game's content and fuck them for that.
Make that 90%. I don't know what sorcery possessed me, but I bought Dragon Age Inquisition for 8€ during the Steam sale and played a bit of it over the weekend. I was having a pretty drab time collecting the shards, solving the dumb constellation puzzles, trying to find goats for farmers and getting zero reward for any of these tasks. In my frustration I googled something along the lines of "why is dragon age inquisition so shit" and that led me down a rabbit hole until I found a mini guide of the most optimal way of playing the game: simply ignore everything. When you get to a new area you just go find the new camps and close the rifts and that'll give you enough power and XP to get to the next part of the critical path. After doing this a bit the game still ended up wearing me down because of how awful the combat still is and how uninteresting the story and characters are. And made me realize how little of the critical path there even is. Within 15 hours of playing I probably spent 2-3 hours doing something story related. All the side stuff barely even ties to the overall narrative, if at all. It's pretty bleak.

But I can't claim that Dragon Age Inquisition is all that bad. After experiencing DAI it made me look forward to going back to work after my Christmas vacation. At least here I get paid to work.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After experiencing DAI it made me look forward to going back to work after my Christmas vacation. At least here I get paid to work.

That is how the generic low lethality gear farming cooldown managing repetitive game. Boring unpayed work.

I probably have more than 600 hours on kingmaker and can re play it over and over. Same with gothic 2 + RETURNING. ABout the mmo style checklist, I really miss the times of immersive sandbox mmos like UO

I kinda liked trapping enemies in a lightning cage and then using walking bomb and watching them all fucking explode

Nothing related to necromancy.

I repeat. No game bough worse necromancy than DA:I.

Is just the lackluster spirit tree from DA:O with less spells, not even a animate dead and far more boring cooldowns and gear dependency.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
Dragon Age Origins was a good game, fuck off try-hards.
It was absolute garbage. When pirated it years ago, on one of the first quests with my roguish peasant elf I infiltrated the ennemy base (of the fucker who wanted to bang my sister, or whatever), but reaching his room there is a bullshit script that breaks furtivity to launch a forced dialogue, and then combat with all my party teleported right there. Uninstalled, never looked back.

PS: also RtwP garbage.

Gamezor

Learned
It was absolute garbage. When pirated it years ago, on one of the first quests with my roguish peasant elf I infiltrated the ennemy base (of the fucker who wanted to bang my sister, or whatever), but reaching his room there is a bullshit script that breaks furtivity to launch a forced dialogue, and then combat with all my party teleported right there. Uninstalled, never looked back.

I bounced off it in like 4 hours. Seemed like incredibly boring crap.

DraQ

Arcane
In my frustration I googled something along the lines of "why is dragon age inquisition so shit" and that led me down a rabbit hole until I found a mini guide of the most optimal way of playing the game: simply ignore everything.
Now take this small, final logical step from there and ask yourself why did you even install it?
Or buy it, though I guess this ship has sailed.

DA:O wasn't bad, just relentlessly mediocre. Potential was there, but ultimately forgettable. It suffers from generic LoTR inspirations and bland MMO class/ability and play style. Magic was OK, but they didn't take it far enough. It was also consolized in its UI and conventions, which present their own form of decline.

I liked Mass Effect, particularly 1. While they weren't RPGs, they were still good action/adventure games. I can't say I cared for anything they've put out since. I haven't paid attention to what they were doing in a very long time.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Make that 90%. I don't know what sorcery possessed me, but I bought Dragon Age Inquisition for 8€ during the Steam sale and played a bit of it over the weekend. I was having a pretty drab time collecting the shards, solving the dumb constellation puzzles, trying to find goats for farmers and getting zero reward for any of these tasks. In my frustration I googled something along the lines of "why is dragon age inquisition so shit" and that led me down a rabbit hole until I found a mini guide of the most optimal way of playing the game: simply ignore everything. When you get to a new area you just go find the new camps and close the rifts and that'll give you enough power and XP to get to the next part of the critical path. After doing this a bit the game still ended up wearing me down because of how awful the combat still is and how uninteresting the story and characters are. And made me realize how little of the critical path there even is. Within 15 hours of playing I probably spent 2-3 hours doing something story related. All the side stuff barely even ties to the overall narrative, if at all. It's pretty bleak.

Yeah, I played it a second time like a year ago and talked about this a lot in its thread. If you ignore half the shit in the game you'll have a lot better time. Pretty sure that's true of all these open world checklist MMO style games developed by people who played WoW constantly in college. It's still not a great game by any means, but it was a lot better than my first playthrough. Main things the game has going for it are a decent main story and pretty areas to look at, so indeed camps, rifts and main/companion quests are the way to go as they check those two boxes.

Momock

Augur
I liked Mass Effect, particularly 1. While they weren't RPGs, they were still good action/adventure games. I can't say I cared for anything they've put out since. I haven't paid attention to what they were doing in a very long time.
Adventure? Where? When?

Adventure? Where? When?

The part where you travel to different places, look around at what it has to offer, then murder and loot it. If you missed it, you may want to select the "Start New Career" option on the title menu.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Literally the only thing good about DA2 was that they aimed for grittier, lower key story.
They shat their bed though, so nvm.

It has a manic pixie dream girl personified you can bang who also is a relatively evil blood mage and that's kind of interesting, I suppose.

I don't blame Bioware too much for DA2, because EA forced them to make it in a ridiculously short amount of time. The shit encounter design, repetitive locations, simplistic story... all that stuff can be laid at the feet of the insanely rushed schedule.

DA:I though was a full development release and they chose to go with MMO style checklist bullshit design for 70% of the game's content and fuck them for that.

I'd still blame BioWare for Dragon Age 2. Their priorities were in the wrong place and it ended up fucking them. There's better ways of going about the route they took with Dragon Age 2 to more fully get something out of the time they had.

The locations like Hightown and Lowtown could have been made far more concise. They could have used fixed camera angles so they didn't have to model as much. Hell, they could have probably just completely eliminated street locations and just modeled stuff like your house, shops, and the bar while using the map to convey that you're moving around the town and put focus into the dungeons you'll be exploring and fighting in. There were directions they could have went that would have been better give the year and four months or whatever it was amount of time they had.

Tiger

Learned

Compared with stuff like Fallout New Vegas which is janky as fuck yet is lauded on here.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Compared with stuff like Fallout New Vegas which is janky as fuck yet is lauded on here.

New Vegas is janky, Origins is dysfunctional. It literally doesn't work. Entire abilities, items, skills etc. just doesn't work as described or even handicap you instead (I.E things that are supposed to be buffs negatively effect your characters' performance instead), there are abilities or classes that completely trivialize the game such as mage's mana clash. The game just doesn't work as intended, it is beyond janky and in the arcanum level of dysfunctional. However there is a category of people who don't have the necessary cerebral functions to realize the abilities they are using aren't working at all who need to be told this. There is another category of people for whom combat or gameplay systems don't matter, now this is questionable in a game as combat heavy origins but even if you disregard combat completely it is just a mediocre experience.

Dycedarg

Learned
About the OP, I couldn't disagree more. Bioware games are incredibly fun as long as you don't play them.

And Andromeda marked the start of a new era at Bioware, which I will call the age of Peebee.

mass-effect-andromeda-peebee-random-pn.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom