Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Tyrr

Liturgist
They put in a side quest that makes fun of SJW web activists. Love it.
1PAQuym.jpg

res11

Novice
Choosing whether or not to do certain side quests is a major choice though. Choice doesn't have to be "bae or bay" dialogue

Too bad Arasaka one is mandatory. Now imagine if every quest chain of the main three led to its own finale based on which you do first.
Mandatory how? You could just end up committing suicide and nothing else

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There is merit in what you have said but people buy games to play them. If I wanted to read novels I would go to a bookstore. There is just too much of those shards left in the game for players to pick-up. I would rather like if there were handful of those shards and some of them hidden in computers which the player needs to interact in some way to progress a quest. For example in Fallout 2 you find only handful of holodisks and some have passwords written on them to bypass security or give you hints on what you might find in a location. In Cyberpunk 2077 you get shards almost everywhere and very often do not affect gameplay in anyway. After picking up 20 of those describing things which are shown on TV ads, radio broadcasts and none of those helping me with exploration I've stopped reading them. The UI doesn't help. If I have to scroll down a message every 8 lines then I will just skip it. Again Fallout 2 had 20 lines of text on a 800x600 resolution and it made reading some of the more lengthy files much more enjoyable.

EDIT: In Red Dead Redemption 2 you get something like 10 letters? And newspapers describing your activities? I feel more inclined to read those than 100+ files in CP2077 left in the most stupid locations like Konpeki Plaza where I am chased by corpos and shouldn't be looting all that shit every 5 meters.

The writing in these shards is mostly bad, and it's a waste of time to even skim them. It's like reading a high school student's Facebook wall. Very few of them add anything to the game. They are put there to fulfill a quota and nothing more. The visual storytelling that made a lot of Witcher 3 mini-locations memorable was just not present here. People compare CP2077 to Ubisoft games, but the content here is actually quite a lot worse than even some of the weaker recent Ubi games like GR: Breakpoint. The average Breakpoint camp has a lot more content and makes for more interesting combat/stealth encounters than most of the Cyberpunk areas. The writing on the notes is quite a lot worse than AC: Valhalla's, which often provides oblique hints about puzzles or foreshadows some twist in the plot.

Reading the notes actually takes away from the gameplay experience because it's just a pointless interruption.

Ostensibly, at the blue NCPD POIs, you're supposed to be uncovering evidence of crimes, but none of it ever matters and very few of them even tie in to side quests in even an oblique way. It would not have taken that much effort to tie cleaning up Tyger Claw POIs to unlocking a secret basement under their Pachinko parlor or something like that. Instead, they are all disconnected with each having cookie cutter text message gibberish as the objective.

I just did one where after, ahem, "arresting" the gang I heard muffled cries for help coming from a nearby container, I opened it, bunch of people came tumbling out making thankful noises, but there was one dead girl left in there, and on her person was a text exchange between her and her mother, with her asking mum for help, and her mum showing a touching faith that the police would find her. Then on one of the gangsters there was a callous note talking about shifting product.

But sure, they're all about Tyger Claw A bitching to Tyger Cllaw B ;)

I wouldn't want to be perceived to be making more out of this than it warrants, I'm not claiming it's God's gift to storytelling; all I'm saying is that it's stupid advice to recommend to players not to bother with the police quests. If you want to level faster do the police quests, and incidentally there are sometimes cool things in the shards and messages. That's all there is to it really.

Obviously they could have done more with it, but that's a separate issue.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
You could be mistaken for thinking that given the terrible decisions CDPR made that feel ripped right from Todd Howard's own design philosophy of cut everything and oversimplify as much as possible.
and it frustrates me people lump them into the same category because they're all "open world."
Just pointing out I never actually did that. I made the point about that people would be mistaken for thinking this was a Todd Howard game because of how much was missing in translation from the original IP aka what Todd did to Fallout. My point was not that this plays anything like a Bethesda game because you're correct it doesn't.

Robber Baron

Savant
Mandatory how? You could just end up committing suicide and nothing else

Hol up. The suicide option shows up along with other options AFTER you've completed that Takemura mission - making his(Arasaka route) mandatory.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Like most reasonable people, I too have refunded the game and will maybe grab it two years later for 10 USD.

The most entertainment I got out of this was watching the haters and copers attack each other on reddit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Wait, you can knock out random NPSs and bring them to your flat, and not all of them disappear afterwards? Can you strip them?
9CSUNuN.gif

:lol: yeah, you can't strip them of course. And some do disappear, but some don't.
That guy, poor bastard, was going to fill his house with girls ahah, pretending it's a date.
Lmao, if only twatter could knew that, what a shitstorm that would be.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't know whether you're trolling or not, but I do actually partly agree. It all seems rosy in hindsight, but at the time, having lived through System Shock and System Shock 2, Deus Ex seemed rather contrived by comparison, with respect to the fact that the different paths were much more rigidly and obviously laid out, so the virtual world had a contrived, plasticky feeling to it that SS and SS2 never had, even though their worlds were pretty contrived too - just somehow they'd managed to disguise it better, whereas Deus Ex put its gamey-game side on its sleeve ("here's the stealth path, here's the straight assault path, here's the techie path" - I cant even remember now what the options were, but you know what I mean). IOW, it was less a question of discovering your path than choosing from a selection. And that felt like decline tbh. To be charitable, it was probably a function of the fact that they were trying to depict a much bigger world, so to avoid the player getting hopelessly lost, they had to flag everything with honking great pointers.

Yeah, you are rigth. When I plaed it first time, after played SS2, I was dissapointed. But DE's strenghth is in other fields, it's a story, plot, characters, details. And prediction of course, made by accident.

I am in love with Keanu. Going to write him a love letter, anyone know his address?

Just do it. I would write it too, if only I knew what to say...

Caim

Arcane
I've seen several videos so far about how OP the pistol can be. Is this true just for the pistol build, or does every weapon type have their own broken build?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've seen several videos so far about how OP the pistol can be. Is this true just for the pistol build, or does every weapon type have their own broken build?

Pretty much most weapons and builds can get very strong if you stack the right perks. I stuck mostly with pistols and even without glitches they can get overpowered, especially if you nail those headshots.

The only downright horrible build is anything to do with knife throwing because it's bugged.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It doesn't matter what weapon you use.
All you need to do is stack crit chance mods and crit damage mods on top of picking the damage increase perks from the perk trees.
That is literally all.
But yes, handguns have the most damage perks of any category and that's why they obliterate so much.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not really a virtue. It's a compromise which was first made in System Shock if memory serves me.

Well, actually not? SS has voiced dialogues. At least in final release.
Also, reading wiki about SS - they initially made those logs you could find for one reason - to not break immersion with dialogues, which was the case they felt for previous game - Ultima Underworld, where dialogues were like separate game by itself, disconnected from immersion to the game world.
So, it was not just for the sake of economy or somehting - this decision was suported by rest of design.
They felt dialogues were breaking immersion, so they did next game where you have no live NPC at all, thus only text-voiced logs.
That's probbaly why it doesn't work so well for CP2077.

The removal of dialogs was an attempt by the team to make the game more "integrated" than Ultima Underworld. They sought to "put [players] in fiction and not allow for its violation"[6], so they tried to erase the distinction between plot and exploration

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk share the "all you're doing is going from map marker to map marker checking off boxes and picking up random crap" design philosophy
Not necessearily. Witcher 3 allows you to hide undiscovered landmarks. Cyberpunk doesn't allow you to do the same.

Only difference is Cyberpunk's side content has less story and dialog choice than Witcher 3's did. So when you see someone acting like there's a huge difference between the two this is what they're focused on. Witcher 3 is a storyfag game through and through and Cyberpunk failed to excel as much at storyfagging.
To rephrase, both are interactive movies but Witcher 3 is the better done interactive movie.

Well this one is actually pretty easy to asspull into ingame universe logic. Like text is cheaper to store than audio right? Maybe all phone devices come with speech recognition and a mandatory writer that stores all your calls which are then logged on your phone and kept for your own safety.
When I wrote "someone decided" I meant someone in the CP77 production team.

I just did one where after, ahem, "arresting" the gang I heard muffled cries for help coming from a nearby container, I opened it, bunch of people came tumbling out making thankful noises, but there was one dead girl left in there, and on her person was a text exchange between her and her mother, with her asking mum for help, and her mum showing a touching faith that the police would find her. Then on one of the gangsters there was a callous note talking about shifting product.
I admit this was one of the better ones, and it made sense for the backstory to be served as text.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not necessearily. Witcher 3 allows you to hide undiscovered landmarks. Cyberpunk doesn't allow you to do the same.

Whether you hide the markers or not, exploring will only get you more random loot. Every location of real interest is one a quest takes you to. Every person of any interest to talk to, a quest takes you to. Cyberpunk is the same, only worse in that the quests themselves are also spawned by a map marker 90% of the time.

Turjan

Arcane
It doesn't matter what weapon you use.
All you need to do is stack crit chance mods and crit damage mods on top of picking the damage increase perks from the perk trees.
That is literally all.
But yes, handguns have the most damage perks of any category and that's why they obliterate so much.
Handguns are definitely the darlings in this game. Most stackable perks and by far the most iconic weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom