Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lilura's Blog: An Ongoing Codexian Obsession

How do you rate lilura1.blogspot.com's commentary?

• Total voters

jackofshadows

Magister
Yep, we can just go around beating everyone up for XP + items. In Gothic, beat-up merchants can be looted for all their stock. In Gothic 2: NotR some of that was changed but we can still loot tons of shit and we still get the XP from beat-downs.

As well, several NPCs can slay shit for us and we get free XP + items. In Gothic, we cruise to third level just by following obvious quest NPCs to Swamp Camp/New Camp.
Is it 100% intended mechanics or it's more of an exploit? (haven't played any Gothic, sincere question)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Is it 100% intended mechanics or it's more of an exploit? (haven't played any Gothic, sincere question)

Beatdowns are intended as a dog-eat-dog embedded mechanic with (voiced!) reactivity but it's inconsistently applied in that some NPCs are invulnerable to beat-downs (some because plot-critical and others because oversight) and others are haphazardly attached to factions.

Leeching off NPCs is also intended but can be exploited by luring monsters and other shit out of caves to the NPC, who just waits around and is flagged as invincible.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Gothics are terrible. I kinda respect the first one for doing so much so early. But I play games for gameplay and the gameplay is shit. The character building and combat and spells etc, all really bad. Again I could excuse it for G1, but G2 was ass and G3 is shameful. I gave up with them at that point. I briefly tried the Risen games but they were the same jank. Those type of games don't even make any sense to me. Either make an RPG and make it deep and tactical because that's what people want. Or make a single character action game that is fun and exciting. Don't try to blend they 2 because it is mostly incompatible. Also I hate Morrowind. It was less crap than the shit that came after it, but it was still crap. Another example of a game that doesn't know if it wants to be an RPG or an action game. Pick one! Otherwise you are making a toothpaste sandwich.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The first Gothic has incredible atmosphere and music, I'll give it that. It's got soul.

But it IS just a popamole. And not a deep one like Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

Gothic 2: NotR and Gothic 3 lack atmosphere and soul, but the music is still good.

jackofshadows

Magister

Beatdowns are intended as a dog-eat-dog embedded mechanic with (voiced!) reactivity but it's inconsistently applied in that some NPCs are invulnerable to beat-downs (some because plot-critical and others because oversight) and others are haphazardly attached to factions.

Leeching off NPCs is also intended but can be exploited by luring monsters and other shit out of caves to the NPC, who just waits around and is flagged as invincible.
Interesting. I assume it's also hardly supported by the plot and rather possible due to the whole sandbox-nature of the game. So if it's a common way to grow a character in order to succeed - that sounds indeed stupid but if it's entirely optional - how it's a big flaw?

Max Damage

Savant
Lilura, your brain is eternally 13. Some people on the internet said shit about ToEE? Why yes, better go shit on other game, that'll show them. No offense, but your posting history and attitude doesn't really attract quality reasoning. Especially when you yourself go out of your way to badmouth every single game you don't like. I like some of your writeups, really do. But you nullify any good faith in your words by your stale as mammoth feces shtick. You and RPG Addict are quite similar in that your agendas go in the way of your own quality.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Lilura, your brain is eternally 13. Some people on the internet said shit about ToEE? Why yes, better go shit on other game, that'll show them. No offense, but your posting history and attitude doesn't really attract quality reasoning. Especially when you yourself go out of your way to badmouth every single game you don't like. I like some of your writeups, really do. But you nullify any good faith in your words by your stale as mammoth feces shtick. You and RPG Addict are quite similar in that your agendas go in the way of your own quality.
Don't you bore yourself typing so much stupid crap?

howlingFantods

Learned
A Nightmare I had last Night (feat. Lilura)

I entered an ancient crypt. With sword in hand, I ventured into an increasing dark.
Asudden, the sound of portcullis teeth striking stone; I was trapped. The walls began to grind towards me. In desperation, I ran my hands along the approaching walls, feeling for some sort of safety switch embedded in the stone.
"I shall afford you no quarter, 'tard." Lilura's disembodied voice echoed through the room, coming from seemingly everywhere,
"this crypt is the perfect encapsulation of my most recent blog post concerning the correct implementation of traps."
I grabbed a portcullis band and strained uselessly at lifting it.
"a post which can be found at httbs://lilura1.blogspot.com/2020/10/Renaissance-RPG-Retrospective-Authoritative-Trap-Theory-Implementation-Monocled-Mechanics-Player-Fun-Disruption.html"
I will not die listening to Lilura dictate the actual entirety of a blog link! I thought to myself as I stomped on various suspicious looking stones in the floor.
"Traps ought to be deadly--anything less is popamole trash. Why should there be a way out?"
I stopped stomping about in horror.
"You actually think that an ancient king would design traps for his crypt that could be circumvented? You disappoint me."
The walls pressed against me. I could feel my ribs bending inwards.
"If only you had read my blog" she sighed, as my bones snapped.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lilura's been going through Arcanum on her blog recently, I imagine refreshing her memory has made her hate it more, so she replaced her avatar with a more monocoled game.

Also see she's put a pause on it to release a dump of search-engine-optimized-articles. :what:

Kainan

Learned
G1 and 2 have some of the best quest structure and multiple ways of doing them i have seen in an Rpg. And the leveling up scheme.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The new avatar looks like Marcy from Married with Children.
zsqPXDN.jpg

Hmmmmmm.....
p0W9dAB.jpg

Can we get Steve?
7Hpi6HF.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Baldur's Gate 1 vs Baldur's Gate 2

BG1 did everything better than BG2. Everything [link]. Moreover, the campaign was developed in parallel with the engine, making it by far the greater creative, technical and organizational achievement by then-fledgling developer, BioWare.

BG1 was seminal: it sparked the RPG Renaissance. It is the greatest D&D-based RPG of all-time and the fourth greatest RPG of all-time whereas BG2 is a monstrous distortion of the gold standard in classic AD&D adventuring set by BG1.

BG2 recycled so much from BG1 (as sequels often do), but it didn't add much substance on its own. It didn't invent anything, it didn't innovate a damn thing [1]. It is bigger and more feature-packed, but worse off for it. BG1 proves that less is more.

How you people feel about this hot take? Is BG1 better than BG2?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Lilura pretends to be a monocled combatfag, but prefers a RTwP game where you create one character over the various TB games with full party creation.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Is BG1 better than BG2?

Not remotely, if you care about characters, plot or setting. Irenicus >>>>> Sarevok. Athkatla >>>>> Baldur's Gate. BG2 companions >>>>> BG1 companions.

Mechanically, BG2 also adds a metric ton (level cap increase, higher spell levels, better itemisation, classes/races/kits) while broadening the content base. What BG1 did better was being a low-medium level DnD campaign with a big emphasis on exploration (at least, before you get to BG).

It is bigger and more feature-packed, but worse off for it

This is what the criticism boils down to, and it's dumbshittery, but some of the tragically nostalgic prefer historical significance to actual quality. Also remember that this person believes Jagged Alliance 2 to be the greatest RPG of all time. And IWD/IWD2 were apparently superior to BG2, which is retardation of scarcely believable proportions.

Then again - how do people put it - opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty obvious that IWD is better than BG2. Full party creation, a better paced campaign that includes low level content and is cohesive instead of bombarding you with dozens of side quests, no annoying companions like Aerie crying all the time, better graphics and music.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lilura pretends to be a monocled combatfag, but prefers a RTwP game where you create one character over the various TB games with full party creation.

I've always found Lilura's hatred of SCS extremely amusing considering he/she considers himself such a monocled individual.

It doesn't take much poking at the fragile ego for the facade to drop.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And IWD/IWD2 were apparently superior to BG2, which is retardation of scarcely believable proportions.
Were? They still are.

I honestly need to replay BG2. I've finished it over 10 times 10 years ago, but after playing so many good cRPGs since then I can't honestly evaluate it.

It's too late for me anyway. I can't play the game without mods, it would be way too easy for me. How can I judge the vanilla experience? Also, should games be, at least partly, judged by the standards of their time? Back in a day BG2s story, cut-scenes, NPC interactions and all the other bells and whistles, were able to create a reality on pair with the greatest VR experiences. Nowdays it's the gameplay that's still relevant, and that's why people find IWD more timeless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom