Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In appreciation of TIE Fighter.

Ghostar

Literate
Is the mod finished? From where can we download it or it is just for internal testing.

Angel

Novice
No there's still a fair bit of work to do before it's ready for release, but its close to a Beta testing state I'd say.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Is the estimated release date of the version with the original campaign and combat missions still late 2020/early 2021?

Angel

Novice
Currently yes but I can't guarantee it. My gf recently gave birth to our daughter a few weeks ago so my free time has dramatically dropped, but I'm still working on it every spare moment I get. Other TFTC members are doing things as well as they can.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I like how, since this is a mod for XWA, he's spending some time adapting the Pilot Room so it's Empire-themed now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

This could be one of the best mods of all time. I'm really looking forward to it. Angel and the other members of the team have been doing everything exactly right so far.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I had originally bought the collector's edition CD decades ago from a local Egghead (remember those?). I fell in love with the game immediately and would spend a lot of time just trying to get it to work - stack overflow errors took a heavy toll on me as a young dude. The game is somewhat simple, but had enough interesting missions, design, and just plain soul to keep me interested despite the difficulty in starting it up.

I decided just recently to introduce it to my son, who's 4 and absolutely loves Star Wars. You can imagine the look on his face every time the game fires up and that Lucasarts L comes together with the stars stretched out in the background. It's like seeing the game with new eyes and we'll play maybe 15 minutes a day or so, enough for a mission or two. And best of all, thanks to GOG, no stack overflow errors.

Anyone still playing this? Or have memories of it?

People who allow their children to imbibe modern culture should be jailed for child abuse.

But, yes, I played it pretty far with zero deaths until my dad loaded it up to show a guest "these computer thingamajigs have cool games" and got my character killed. With a death on my record, my enthusiasm was shattered.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I had originally bought the collector's edition CD decades ago from a local Egghead (remember those?). I fell in love with the game immediately and would spend a lot of time just trying to get it to work - stack overflow errors took a heavy toll on me as a young dude. The game is somewhat simple, but had enough interesting missions, design, and just plain soul to keep me interested despite the difficulty in starting it up.

I decided just recently to introduce it to my son, who's 4 and absolutely loves Star Wars. You can imagine the look on his face every time the game fires up and that Lucasarts L comes together with the stars stretched out in the background. It's like seeing the game with new eyes and we'll play maybe 15 minutes a day or so, enough for a mission or two. And best of all, thanks to GOG, no stack overflow errors.

Anyone still playing this? Or have memories of it?

But, yes, I played it pretty far with zero deaths until my dad loaded it up to show a guest "these computer thingamajigs have cool games" and got my character killed. With a death on my record, my enthusiasm was shattered.

For some reason, this post made me think of guest Sid Meir, joystick in hand, on a tech show on PBS many years ago proudly showing off Microprose's brand new release of F-15 Strike Eagle II for PC... and promptly crashing & burning as his fighter was destroyed within 6 seconds of leaving the carrier deck.

Angel

Novice
My only complaint is that space is not black enough. Too many bright colors.

Whilst I believe this is down to personal preference, I've made sure there is a healthy variety of backdrops including about 40% of missions being just the blackness of space with just a sun and maybe a planet, no nebula or anything. Backdrop placement has been specifically designed to not only just to make it look cool, but also from a directorial and gameplay point of view, allowing you to see the forces arrayed against you easily, as well as friendly forces by your side before an initial clash happens :)

Endemic

Arcane
Shouldn't it depend on the story? For example, all of TOD 2 takes place in the same star system.

Angel

Novice
Shouldn't it depend on the story? For example, all of TOD 2 takes place in the same star system.

Yes and I've tried to bear this in mind when crafting the backgrounds so the backgrounds are consistent depending where you are, for example Battle 2 actually is one of the campaigns that has a black/no nebula background consistently with the same star type.

Inconceivable

Learned
TIE Fighter is the rare, perfect sequel. It has everything that is great about X-Wing and doesn't change the fundamentals, but makes everything better, bigger and deeper.

Norfleet

Currently yes but I can't guarantee it. My gf recently gave birth to our daughter a few weeks ago so my free time has dramatically dropped, but I'm still working on it every spare moment I get. Other TFTC members are doing things as well as they can.
I actually found that the opposite happened when my kids were born: I suddenly had a lot more free time because I was spending a great deal more of it camping them. And stake-out isn't exactly the most engrossing activity in the world, so....

The worst part of children comes when they start gaining the ability to move, but not the ability to actually do anything useful or play vidya games. When they're immobile, you know they can't get away from you.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Mandalorion was everything you expected in a Star Wars-themed production - big, action-packed, meticulously crafted storytelling and gorgeous. In other words, absolutely MEH and 150% predictable though I did like the chaotic, episodic nature of the first season where it was hard to see where it was going but that all went out the window by S2. It will be nice to finally get something you can sink your teeth into here since the SW universe itself is fascinating (it's just what the movies & tv series choose to emphasize and the pandering to the fans that's the problem).

Darth Flesh

Barely Literate
YA I'm totally interested; played this since its initial release on CD! (since I couldn't guess the Star Destroyer's names on the 5 1/4" install!)

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
In case any of you are interested in joining the closed beta:

This looks insane. But tbh I'd rather wait till its polished first because I remember how frustrating XWA's original bugs were. Plus I need to buy a good joystick for this.

Darth Flesh

Barely Literate
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro has worked out pretty well for me. I wrecked two $20 generic joysticks on TIE fighter back in 1996.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I still just have the joystick I got like 20 years ago. One time I spilled orange soda on it and it got sticky. Then it got cat hair stuck to it because it was sticky, and it's probably still on there now.

I bet real TIE Fighter pilots don't have to deal with those problems.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have a Thrustmaster T.16000M that supposedly uses the same works as what you get in the real A-10C Warthog joystick that I bought a few years ago for much less than what they go for these days. I'm looking forward to using it with Tie Fighter Remastered. No cat hairs or cunt hairs or any other sticky substance inside though ;) I'm trying to find a DIY for a cheap headtracker to potentially make the experience even more awesome but i don't even know if this will be supported.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom