Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games based on ancient China/Chinese mythology

curds

Magister
For some reason over the last few days I've had the urge to play a game set in ancient China, or based on Chinese folklore. Not sure why. I thought why not create a list of (good) games that use this setting. Preferably of the strategy/simulation/turn-based RPG type (am aware of Jade Empire and it doesn't really appeal to me).

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom

emperorROTMK_091002_014-440596.jpg

This is, AFAIR, the only China-themed game I've played. It also happens to be possibly my favourite game of all time. Certainly my favourite game of its genre. It's the last in the Impressions City Builder series. I also played Caesar 3 and Pharaoh from the same series, and in my opinion they couldn't hold a candle to this one. Very aesthetically pleasing game.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms series

iu

Don't know too much about these games, I assume from screenshots that they are Total War-esque turn-based grand strategy with RT battles. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is the series any good and if so, which is the best entry?

Sango series

43652_battle00_medium.jpg

Seems quite similar to the series listed above, including being set during the same era. Anybody played these ones?

Tale of Wuxia

ss_91598caaa6093053156559764ed1366e07951db0.jpg

Probably the one I'm most interested in. Most likely gonna pick it up in the next few days. From what I can gather it seems like traditional TB-RPG with life sim elements (?). Heard it's quite good.

Amazing Cultivation Simulator

5b837d7d_a482_4bff_ae8d_553f7bcaf977.jpg

Bizarre but fascinating looking game, not sure what it's all about but I'm very curious about this one. I gather it is similar to Rimworld, which I haven't played yet, either.

The Tangut Prophecy deserves a mention, despite being vapourware. Fallout Online engine TC based on ancient China. Looks amazing but the author disappeared, as I'm sure many here already know.

Screenshot1.png

Another game I am aware of is Prince of Qin, but that doesn't appeal to me all that much. I understand it's a Diablo-clone.

What can you guys add to the list?

kreight

There used to be a pretty good Tiger Knight game. It had a number of issues though. I dont know if the servers are still on.

kreight

Smite has several chinese gods including Chan'ge, the goddess of the moon.

curds

Magister
Smite has several chinese gods including Chan'ge, the goddess of the moon.
Can't say I can ever see myself playing a MOBA. Also what I'm really after is the whole ancient China aesthetic. A few references or characters from folklore doesn't cut it for me, personally. Xuan-Yuan Sword seems the most interesting of what you mentioned.

laclongquan

Arcane
Prince of Qin, think of Diablo but heavier RPG elements set in Ancient China (earlier than three kingdoms). A most complex item crafting system I think of. 7 endings.

Jade Empire

Romance of Three Kingdom 10. Much heavier RPG elements than 11 or later.

curds

Magister
Prince of Qin, think of Diablo but heavier RPG elements set in Ancient China (earlier than three kingdoms)

Jade Empire

Romance of Three Kingdom 10. Much heavier RPG elements than 11 or later.
Thanks but all three of those are mentioned in the OP.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The OP screenshot for Tale of Wuxia is actually from Tale of Wuxia : the Pre-Sequel, which I heard is a whole different game.

I tried Tale of Wuxia for a few hours, and while it is certainly a very unique and interesting game, I simply couldn't get into it. Chibi art is a huge turnoff for me.
Still, a curiosity with original mechanics and a nice atmosphere, very much worthy of a try for any enthusiast about either hidden (rough) gems or wuxia.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Sango Fighter was a pretty sweet DOS fighter, but I couldn't tell you how it stacks up against the more popular ones.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dynasty Warriors, I suppose. In that vein Nobunaga's Ambition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom