Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best open world games of all time

What is the best open world game ever? Can select up to 5 choices.

• Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Gothic

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • Gothic 2

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Risen

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • ELEX

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Boiling Point

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Saint's Row IV

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

• Far Cry 3

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Fallout 3

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fallout 4

• Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Mad Max

• kingcomrade

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

• Might & Magic VII

• Might and Magic VIII

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

• Far Cry 2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Far Cry 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darklands

• Dying Light

• Kenshi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Butter

Arcane
Patron
ITT newfag campaigns for a dumbfuck tag.
You can't prove me wrong or do anything else other than cry like a woman. Your kind of stupid can only be cured by a savage beating, and I think you're missing out on that.
Go back to Reddit where they'll tolerate your faggotry.

madhouse

ITT newfag campaigns for a dumbfuck tag.
You can't prove me wrong or do anything else other than cry like a woman. Your kind of stupid can only be cured by a savage beating, and I think you're missing out on that.
Go back to Reddit where they'll tolerate your faggotry.
Drink more semen, you stupid faggot. Try shitposting anonymously first before embarassing yourself on forums. Almost 3000 posts so far, but nothing indicating anything but sawdust and shit for brains. How about you prove me wrong? If you can't, be content to sit down and cry in peace, not go on a passive aggressive sperg rage about MUH FORUMZ TAGZ N RATINGS as if that was going to keep me up at night. Fact is you're the equivalent of a hipster who'd rather die on the hill than admit AAA (for Christ sakes, AA is not far off either from AAA, unless you'e a naive retard and think they're functionally much different besides budget) does anything right.

Yep, you've admitted you're pretty much a crying bitch, I actually hope you're not a biological male.

Last edited by a moderator:

madhouse

Apologies for being a bully, I only meant to enlighten you. I think discourse on gaming would benefit from physical combat, with the stronger man having the better opinions. This would automatically filter 99% of retarded basement dwellers from ever opining on things they have no clue about. Merry Christmas.

Reminder: once the poll closes on Dec. 29th, I will tabulate the final results, and ... disclose the two people who voted for Ass Creed Odyssey.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Although they're not necessarily my favorite games, I really like the way Gothic 1 & 2 handle the open world. The worlds are compact without feeling compressed. There's no copy-paste stuff, and at no point does it feel like the open world is there just to add more hours to your playthrough. There's some inevitable backtracking, of course, but you won't be running through the same areas a million times killing the same enemies over and over again. There are nice little things like buying actual physical maps to find your way around, and the worlds feel lively with the NPCs doing their own things. The chapter-based progression also allows you to have an increasingly dangerous world without resorting to level-scaling or other ugly stuff.

I voted Morrowind and New Vegas, though. Morrowind commits many sins, like having static NPCs and stuffing almost everything of interest into its dungeons, but it's got a great setting and its world-building is pretty much unmatched to this day. By the end of the game you know the bus schedules by heart but won't need them since you have access to whole new ways of navigating the game world. New Vegas is just superb in how much freedom it gives you, which is something every open-world game should strive for — such a shame that so many games have an "open" world yet still make the player follow a completely linear story and tackle linear quests in linear environments without having any real say about the matter. New Vegas, on the other hand, actually makes you feel like you're free to do what you want in the game world and play the kind of character you want to play.

There are some other great games in the list, but these are the ones that really stand out because of their open worlds and how they utilize them.

laclongquan

Arcane
Someone mentioned Unreal World. It's pretty crap honestly and has absolutely no replayability. As soon as you build your cabin (massive grind), get enough nets and traps for food (nevermind farming, by the time you'll set that up you'll be foraging 5x the necessary food and dealing more with rotting food than anything else), you wind up with completely nothing interesting to do. And to do it twice is to grind for in-game weeks building a cabin, which is a big no. The world is randomly generated, although it always comes out like a sideways Finalnd (at least if a retard drew it). There's nothing to do or see in that world either. To praise it for being a good open-world is unironically to have sawdust for brains.

You completely skip over the hunting redskins. Make a boat, travel to the other side of the land and wipe them off the Earth. Also collect the huge loot and carry them back to your lair.

Or hunt down to near extintion in your lair's neighborhood. It's to the point I have to use magic rituals to call for more or the freaking area is devoid of big animals.

Or collect a full arsenal of iron weapons, armors, etc... You are never safe until you can gather at least one complete ironworks, then wear over it a bear leather/fur suit, coupled with two veils (crit hit to the eyes)

I dont know, boyo. You seem to play about 1/4 of the game.

madhouse

I don't find the combat in URW interesting at alll; neither grinding for gear that at the end is not going to give me any benefit (besides making it easier to grind for more gear, what exactly do I do with that gear when I already have inexhaustible resources in the first place?) or make it any more interesting. Probably the modded game has more interesting bits inbetween starving yourself and cudgeling fish for sustenaince and having a cabin with inexhaustible food sources and only murderhobo aspirations halfway across the map. I'm only speaking about the vanilla experience as is.
I think Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is superior to URW in every metric. You want to LARP as an iron age wood dweller? Reduce cities to the smallest size possible and spread them out as much as possible. Don't use anything modern. Mutate an extra limb while at it. Unlike URW, gear has much more interesting uses in C: DDA. It also reaches Mt. Boring very fast, but not quite as fast as URW, and doesn't bore you as much while getting there (i.e. boring grinding making log walls).

Derringer

Prophet
Unreal World is a survival rogue from the 90's while Cataclysm is a more up-to-date apocalyptic survival rogue, there isn't much reason in being critical about it.

Gothic 1 and 2 really that good ? I never played them.How are their compatibility with Windows 10 ?
They're very well made Kraut games, just look up pcgamingwiki with the game for patches.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone mentioned Unreal World. It's pretty crap honestly and has absolutely no replayability. As soon as you build your cabin (massive grind), get enough nets and traps for food (nevermind farming, by the time you'll set that up you'll be foraging 5x the necessary food and dealing more with rotting food than anything else), you wind up with completely nothing interesting to do. And to do it twice is to grind for in-game weeks building a cabin, which is a big no. The world is randomly generated, although it always comes out like a sideways Finalnd (at least if a retard drew it). There's nothing to do or see in that world either. To praise it for being a good open-world is unironically to have sawdust for brains.
Kenshi x 5, thank you
Most games would be better off not being open world, btw
Good idea. Unfortunately the game plays out pretty boringly.

Lots of butthurt ITT. You faggots need a beating. Hilarious how you can't actually prove me wrong, but moan and cry over AAA ever receiving any positive light.
EDIT:
Reddit might be more your speed if you like le epig downvote.

you could have just said you don't like roguelikes and save yourself a lot of trouble. no need to get the last word

madhouse

there isn't much reason in being critical about it.
That doesn't make any sense. Anyhow, you're wrong because URW is still in active development, it isn't from the 90's.
you could have just said you don't like roguelikes and save yourself a lot of trouble. no need to get the last word
I like some roguelikes; URW isn't one of them. No need to stuff words in my mouth.

Derringer

Prophet
That doesn't make any sense. Anyhow, you're wrong because URW is still in active development, it isn't from the 90's.
Maybe you're not native English? Games from the 90s don't tend to be exactly up-to-date compared to stuff released in 2013, I mean the game doesn't exactly look much different from its own DOS version.

madhouse

Maybe you're not native English? Games from the 90s don't tend to be exactly up-to-date compared to stuff released in 2013, I mean the game doesn't exactly look much different from its own DOS version.
I was born from under a stone, and that has no bearing on what is being discussed here. The game isnt from 90's. It's in active developement with semi-regular updates. It's not the quality of life issues or the game being outdated (like having compability issues with widescreen resolutions, problems working with modern OS', etc.); URW is fundamentally less interesting than C:'DDA. The original release date (it was a game about orcs lol) has nothing to do with it... it would have the same issues if it was released in 2010 for example.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gothic 1 and 2 really that good ? I never played them.How are their compatibility with Windows 10 ?

I still like 1, I still think it's worth playing and did a half replay a couple years ago, however 2 is much better and perhaps better suited to someone new to Piranha Bytes games.

Also if you wanted to skip ahead to Risen, and then go back to Gothic, I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world. Risen 1 mind you, 2 and 3 are much worse and should only be played if you fall in love with their style of games.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
2 is. 1 is a little rough around the edges. If you can’t stomach some eurojank you will not enjoy it.
Gothic 1 in my #1 GOAT.

It has a much better setting than G2: the Prison colony. People treat you like shit, they're all hardened criminals, and the overall atmosphere feels just so much better than the nice G2 country side. The intro movie starting the game with hazing from tough guys and a punch in the face really sells it. The Old Camp protection money racket is great, you can get beat up for trying to evade it, and later if you join you get to enforce it. You're not the Chosen one in G1, you're the new little fuck everyone's trying to take advantage of, whereas in G2 you're already a hero. In consequence, rising from such a low starting point really feels awesome.

No game does playing the underdog better.

2 is. 1 is a little rough around the edges. If you can’t stomach some eurojank you will not enjoy it.
Gothic 1 in my #1 GOAT.

It has a much better setting than G2: the Prison colony. People treat you like shit, they're all hardened criminals, and the overall atmosphere feels just so much better than the nice G2 country side. The intro movie starting the game with hazing from tough guys and a punch in the face really sells it. The Old Camp protection money racket is great, you can get beat up for trying to evade it, and later if you join you get to enforce it. You're not the Chosen one in G1, you're the new little fuck everyone's trying to take advantage of, whereas in G2 you're already a hero. In consequence, rising from such a low starting point really feels awesome.

No game does playing the underdog better.

I like Gothic 1 a lot, I'm not trying to shit on it, only to prepare a neophyte for what they can expect from the games, and indisputably Gothic 2 plays a lot better than 1.

Regarding 1:

1) It's combat is undeniably janky. It's not bad per se, but who the fuck came up with that control scheme? It feels like playing some weird alternate reality game where designers decided that difficulty should be a direct function of one's ability to learn unintuitive controls.

2) It's actually very small; to the degree that calling it an open-world game seems borderline disingenuous.

3) Dat VA. Sure its part of its charm, but uh... yeah... jank.

4) Swamp camp are bad guys/dupes?! They were the only faction worth joining!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
1) It's combat is undeniably janky. It's not bad per se, but who the fuck came up with that control scheme?
I loved it at the time, so much that I chose the option to have Gothic 1's control scheme in G2.

IIRC, G2 controls had some sort of automatic target lock in melee which is the worst for this type of game. You want to be able to make your weapon swipes as you want, try to hit multiple targets and knock them back a bit, etc. ELEX had this shit too but it was toggleable in the options.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I consider Gothic 1 superior to Gothic 2, but only because i got stumped about a third of the way through G2 and due to pride refused to use a walkthrough so I ragequit. But if I had completed it I would probably be sucking its balls like most of you here. But Gothic 2 done did me wrong by not taking my hand and leading me through the Valley of the Eurojank where I would have feared no evil.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
But Gothic 2 done did me wrong by not taking my hand
But not taking your hand is the whole point of the Gothic games, no? Hell, they even slap your hand with hard enemies and no level scaling.

What can I say, I like a harsh, challenging but rewarding world.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
But Gothic 2 done did me wrong by not taking my hand
But not taking your hand is the whole point of the Gothic games, no? Hell, they even slap your hand with hard enemies and no level scaling.

What can I say, I like a harsh, challenging but rewarding world.

Now that I think about it I did take a look at a walkthrough when I got stumped, and much to my horror I realized that I had missed a crucial non-human NPC standing almost out of sight near a ridge watching a battle below (which I was involved in). Apparently I needed to talk to him to progress in the story and I couldn't even see the motherfucker, and by the time I read the walkthrough, I had long moved on from that part of the game with no option to backtrack and find him again (and no past Saved Games to go back on) . I'm all for no handholding in an RPG to make it at least half-way challenging but when any game design makes it that easy to break a main quest progression I say, "FUCK THAT."

well im going to throw a game into the mix i had a lot of fun with back in the day...

Crackdown

220px-Crackdownfinalbox.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom