Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I finished the game, and, as I had nothing to do (I am on holidays) I finished it all over again to watch all endings. I didn't like the way the ending is stablished and I felt a little bit betrayed by it, but ok, at least we close the story arc.

My real playthrough was done using CORPO lifepath and the Aldecados/ Panan branch. I love it and felt it was in line with my game: its a redemption story, from a bastard corp to a guy understanding the world and meeting new people/ freedom. Very nice.

All the other endings are ok, but just two others made sense to me:

- The suicide (very good point. Why bother to try to fix the chip, anyway? Why make more people suffer and sacrifice. Its not worthy.

- The coming back to the body ending. You become a legend, meet Mr. Blue Eyes and goes to space. Feels super rewarding and then you can see how much content was cut from this game. Mansion, space, orbital station, cassino, etc. Crazy.

All the other endings are... meh.

203h, 86% achievements. Now I'll just play it again when all expansions are released and everything is fixed, as I dont feel any pleasure in multiple playthroughs.

And, ah, there is a Multiplayer team, in the Credits. So, its real, it will come in a future.
True kangz do secret ending path of glory with no lame romance.

Turjan

Arcane
The Cyberpsycho missions were fun. They made me feel like Bladerunner and challenged me to do them non-lethal until I realized there is literally just an implant that you can buy that changes all of your weapons to non-lethal. Even fucking blades.
Oh, you don't even need that chip. Just make sure that you don't apply a second lethal blow after you downed your target. Yes, it's that anti-climactic.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The Cyberpsycho missions were fun. They made me feel like Bladerunner and challenged me to do them non-lethal until I realized there is literally just an implant that you can buy that changes all of your weapons to non-lethal. Even fucking blades.
Oh, you don't even need that chip. Just make sure that you don't apply a second lethal blow after you downed your target. Yes, it's that anti-climactic.

It depends on the weapon. If you use blades you can cut people's heads and arms off. I also think headshots will fatally kill most people, if it's the killing blow. I agree, though, that many people end up on the floor not dead, even if you shoot them 100 times.

Turjan

Arcane

It depends on the weapon. If you use blades you can cut people's heads and arms off. I also think headshots will fatally kill most people, if it's the killing blow. I agree, though, that many people end up on the floor not dead, even if you shoot them 100 times.
I specifically meant the cyberpsychos. The last one, I downed with a sniper rifle after a longer fight, and the damage said something like 17,000 (was from relatively close). He still lived.

I can see the point with bladed weapons, although there, the blunt types seem to do more damage on average, anyway.

KK1001

Arbiter
I agree with what a lot of people have said, but I still think the number 1 impediment to fun in this game is the lackluster combat AI. Modders will make this a substantially better game.

Fixed combat AI + actually hand crafted cyberpsycho behavior would really go a long, long way towards making the game good. I want more enemy variety, but what's in the game is already broken so that's probably a bridge too far.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Whatever is a "kangz", yeah sure ok
afpGMz4.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
'cept Mafia 1 has one of the best police A.I. and as such, best thrilling police chases in history of vidya... In fact there's a separate sandbox mode in Mafia 1 to go do wild shit when you're done with the story. No such thing in CP2077, 'cause MUH IMMERSIVENESS!
Nope gta 3 from the same year shits all over it with different branches of goverment chasing you at each star lvl (not to mention sandbox is much better because you get op weapons like rocket launcher or tank, all you can get in mafia is thompson smg and lame armoured car). I gotta hand it to you those fucking cops in mafia 1 are pretty smart because they can tell if Im going 5 mph over speed limit and chase me immediately or they have good speed radars nice technology for the 30s. Even nowadays I can go 20 km/h over limit and police wont give a fuck in my country but those 1930s american cops are just that good with speed violation.

What mafia 1 had going for it was much better narrative and visuals than the gta 3 but even reviews at the time pointed out that sandbox is lacking compared to gta.
Mafia 1 is released in 2002:)
Different tiers of pigs don't make them much smarter in GTA3, they all have the same arcadey vehicle AI that kamikazes into you, which is easy to trick into bumping each other, fly into space, the usual GTA stuff. Only federals have heavier metal in their disposal. Also, I don't recall them using guns at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The main culprit for the shitshow we've got was coked-up management and coked-up marketing being pleased as punch at Keanu agreeing to work, and deciding that it would be a wonderful idea from the point of view of sales, to stuff Keanu in at every available opportunity in the game, and taking 2 years to bend as many quests in the game to that purpose as they could, instead of finishing the game they had in that period and just having him in a few cameos. That, ultimately, is the cause of them falling back on their familiar TW3 formula - by deciding to have more of Keanu and having to build around that in the 2 years remaining, they cut off the option to make the game more of an intricate RPG as they'd intended, and they only had the time and resources to fall back on their TW3 formula to "fill out" the game at that point.

Yeah. I mean every game gets features cut as they develop it, so they can get it out the door. That's happening right now with Bloodlines 2, since the original team wasn't finishing it they hired an Ubisoft guy to come in and cut stuff to get the thing released. I don't think that's abnormal or even bad necessarily, as long as the end product still feels like a good and complete game. The problem with Cyberpunk is, of course, that it doesn't quite come together as a finished product. It feels like a game that was cut down from the original lofty ambitions it had so it could actually come out in 2020, it's too obvious and detrimental to the experience. You have to make those cuts and tie all the knots without the consumer feeling like something's missing, and they failed to do that.

I say this as someone who actually quite enjoys the game, because I love the setting and I love Deus Ex stealthy infiltration style gameplay. The game truly excels at both those things, IMO. It just fails at a bunch of stuff around them, and people (rightly) expected way more.

wyes gull

Savant
Anyone find any missions that aren't named after songs? I thought they all were supposed to be until I ran across a gig called "Bring me the head of Gustavo Orta", a twist on Peckinpah's "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia". Disappointing gig, too. Self-aware rip off of Romeo & Juliet where you can only go in and remove Capulet. Or was it the other one? Whatever.

People really did have too high expectations. The marketing worked but set CDPR up to fail - of course, their own executive mismanagement didn't help. People created an impossible game (the best parts of GTA + Deus Ex + Dishonored + FO:NV + Mass Effect + TW3) in their heads.
asking for a sequel to "no man's sky" and expecting a videogame is "having high expectations". expectations for cp77 were just in line with promises.

Learned
Gentlemen, can you imagine a complete, polished, refined, hyper-realistic life sim that uses 2020's rules with Vávra and CDPR in Cyberpunk universe?

Because I fucking can't.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
And for the record around 60 hours and I have been hoovering up every item I see and done a decent amount of crafting, my save file is just over 5mb. Its impossible people were hitting 8mb playing normally, 100% convinced they were doing crafting exploits.

Also think I have just about sucked all the fun I can out of the game, there is not much left to do, no point upgrading or buying equipment now as the game is just not challenging enough, I have a plethora of missions left but they are all blurring together. Clearing bandit outposts is just horribly repetitive. I could buy more cars, but whats the point, I already have half a dozen that cover everything I need. Pretty much seen everything of interest in the city which has really been the main attraction. And doing a second playthrough? No fucking way, maybe after a few big DLC and an complete overhaul mod.

Never played GTA or RDR Online so I fail to see what 'end game' content they would have to keep people playing. Is it PvP or something? I cannot imagine what they could do for Cyberpunk Online to actually make it interesting enough to keep 'grinding' on it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have a plethora of missions left but they are all blurring together. Clearing bandit outposts is just horribly repetitive.

The blue police icon missions are almost all lame and pointless. I enjoy most of the "real" missions though, i.e. the yellow markers that aren't cars or fights. Like I said above though, I'm a massive slut for stealthy infiltration. Vast majority of the yellow "gigs" have a unique location with multiple entry points and avenues to the objective, along with some ambient dialog if not real dialog interaction. Yes it is obviously lacking in the story department for most of these side missions, but I like the basic fundamentals enough to enjoy them. The blue ones though, fuck that.

Never played GTA or RDR Online so I fail to see what 'end game' content they would have to keep people playing. Is it PvP or something? I cannot imagine what they could do for Cyberpunk Online to actually make it interesting enough to keep 'grinding' on it.

The grind is there for people who enjoy it, really. Most of these checklist games, your GTAs and your Assassin's Creeds, can be completed while ignoring over half the game. Usually they're better off for doing so. Some people just want to play these games forever though, I feel like they use it as a stress ball basically, but wtf do I know. Cyberpunk might actually be the first game ever where I feel some of that drive, just because I love the setting so much and enjoy stealthy infiltration so much, but still... collect the cars, beat the street fights, do all the police missions? Again, fuck that. I might do all them yellows though. :o

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

I specifically meant the cyberpsychos. The last one, I downed with a sniper rifle after a longer fight, and the damage said something like 17,000 (was from relatively close). He still lived.

I can see the point with bladed weapons, although there, the blunt types seem to do more damage on average, anyway.

I don't know about that. Regina specifically complained to me that I killed a couple of them when I finished the mission, even though I never did a kill shot on them after they fell. I think it depends on what weapon you are using and where specifically on their body the killshot is, but this game is so buggy, it's hard to tell what are real mechanics and what aren't. I've had people I used non-lethal stealth take downs on just randomly start pooling blood on the ground a few minutes later. And the game doesn't seem to have any indicator, like Deus Ex does, for whether bodies are dead or alive beyond that the alive ones tend to move slightly, but not always.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
someone further up complained about the copious use of text and phone messages to convey information and quests.

The characters live and breath as you see them talk and their movements and mannerisms. The best part of CP2077 is the prologue, because you get this with Jackie and other
That was me. One other big problem that emerges in CP77's presentation is that they made dialogue in this free form, instead of scripting it with different camera angles as in Witcher 3. I remember the developers gushing over this decision like it's the most innovative, most unique, and most immersive feature in the history of game development. It sounded like trash and "let's save ourselves some work" from the beginning.

What was described was "the player is always in full control of the character" which we know went out the window. What was described was "NPCs will have a reaction if you cut the conversation in the middle of dialogue and leave", "You can pull out a weapon in any moment". None of this actually matters. What stays though is the amount of scripting work and camera placement, which the developers were saved from having to do, like they had to do in Witcher 3 which prompted them to develop a tool to partially automate it because it was so much work.

The tradeoff to all those non-existent advantages of first person dialogue which nevertheless has to be paid is that the player becomes essentially blind to one major channel for the characterisation of the main character - you can't watch your character's acting and gestures. Instead everything falls on the voice actor. First person in conversations was a bad decision, sold to players under the pretext of more immersion but really resulting in less characterisation, and that for a blank slate main character who desperately needs means of characterisation.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
That was me. One other big problem that emerges in CP77's presentation is that they made dialogue in this free form, instead of scripting it with different camera angles in Witcher 3. I remember the developers gushing over this decision like it's the most innovative, most unique, and most immersive feature in the history of game development. It sounded like trash and "let's save ourselves some work" from the beginning.
cope tbh

free dialogues are cozy

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
free dialogues + silent protag so you can have actually different lines is the future of any good action rpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
cope tbh

free dialogues are cozy
They are, but you lose more than you gain from having them, as far as the player is concerned. Ofc the dev would prefer less work.

free dialogues + silent protag so you can have actually different lines is the future of any good action rpg
If the protagonist is silent, it isn't really a "dialogue". That's a useless gimmick and a compromise which grogs glorify as something cool just because it is an old approach.

Vatnik Wumao
If the protagonist is silent, it isn't really a dialogue. That's a useless gimmick and a compromise which grogs glorify as something cool just because it is an old approach.
It makes a big difference given a preallocated budget for voice acting, since instead of voicing the protag (which can be immersion breaking anyway in the case of blank slate protagonists) you can instead afford to have more lines for the NPCs and thus more reactivity.

And even when there's no extra reactivity, it can still contribute to immersion since you can be given more 'flavors of speech' which serve to shape your character's personality (imho this was a strength of Dragon Age Origins).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom