Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Deflowerer

Arcane
I expect something along the lines of Soulsborne stuff. Even if the game didn't do as well as Nioh 1, it also wasn't in dev hell for years (Nioh 1 took almost a decade iirc) and the investment into it had to be much lower, so I doubt they are doing it for commercial reasons. He already mentioned earlier that Nioh 2 would mean the end for Japanese setting entries anyway, so I think the other ideas he mentioned (Celtic, Three Kingdoms games) would be under a different name.

Plus they have mentioned elsewhere as well that they'd like to create a new IP for next gen, as well as maybe return to Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited:
They'll probably just do the next step of Nioh as a Ninja Gaiden game. Ninja Gaiden 3, and really also the Sigma games, proved Team Ninja didn't know what to do with Ninja Gaiden without Tomonobu Itagaki. If they're going to move forward on that series again they should just use Nioh as the jumping off point and go in a new direction with the series like Itabaki's Ninja Gaiden games did before.

Maybe they also do a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance or something too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only worry is they'll pull Sekiro with the new Ninja Gaiden. FromSoft wanted to take a break from RPGs and make a pure action game but Sekiro feels like at some point they thought "hm, maybe a pure action won't do in this day and age, we have to make it a bit more complex". So they started adding skills and prosthetics tools most of which turn out to feel totally superfluous, blurring the sharp focus of the game.

Sekiro is still a lot of fun but conceptually it feels like FromSoft have been caught standing at a half-way point between an action and an RPG with their pants down, holding their dicks, not sure where to go. Let's hope Team Ninja took note of that.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Wunderbar
https://www3.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=MAD.1568348

They also filed another trademark application on december 3rd but the link is no longer displaying the application. It probably got changed (the link) because of approval/database change.

maybe PC versions
AGoC1Ko.png

deuxhero

Arcane
I expect something along the lines of Soulsborne stuff. Even if the game didn't do as well as Nioh 1, it also wasn't in dev hell for years (Nioh 1 took almost a decade iirc) and the investment into it had to be much lower, so I doubt they are doing it for commercial reasons. He already mentioned earlier that Nioh 2 would mean the end for Japanese setting entries anyway, so I think the other ideas he mentioned (Celtic, Three Kingdoms games) would be under a different name.

Plus they have mentioned elsewhere as well that they'd like to create a new IP for next gen, as well as maybe return to Ninja Gaiden.

I'd like to see late middle ages/early Renaissance Europe, if only because this is the only team besides Warhorse I could see getting the armor right.

Deflowerer

Arcane
It would probably be Celtic themed, Japs love that stuff. I mean, see even William's LW.

Machocruz

Arcane

I'd like to see late middle ages/early Renaissance Europe, if only because this is the only team besides Warhorse I could see getting the armor right.
Crusades era would also be cool with that Nioh flair. But less Kingdom of Heaven and more Valhalla Rising, bleak and mystical, roaming through Europe, finding yourself in another land fighting its indigens, and its monsters of course.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Crusades era would also be cool with that Nioh flair. But less Kingdom of Heaven and more Valhalla Rising, bleak and mystical, roaming through Europe, finding yourself in another land fighting its indigens, and its monsters of course.

header.jpg

:troll:

Hyperion

Arcane
This is the exact setting I mentioned in the Nioh discord. I'd love nothing more to be Richard the Lionhearted, clad entirely in black full plate, battleaxe in hand, slaughtering ragheads and fookin' Normans alike.

Deflowerer

Arcane
This is the exact setting I mentioned in the Nioh discord. I'd love nothing more to be Richard the Lionhearted, clad entirely in black full plate, battleaxe in hand, slaughtering ragheads and fookin' Normans alike.

Did you get banned for it?

Hyperion

Arcane

Did you get banned for it?
Still going strong. Left out Ragheads. Fookin Normans is fine, they're a bunch of memelords too, just gotta know your audience and leave Codexian humor to the Codex.

wtf is wrong with you people
More, more, more is not the answer. There's a lot of burnout with this game, especially since the farm sucks right now. Nioh 3 would be just like Dork Souls 3, and become a joke of itself. There's not really any Sengoku-Japan they can do in the Niohverse anymore. Let it end on a decent note, start a new series

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nioh series is no longer in production, meaning that Nioh 2 will be the last.

wtf is wrong with you people
I loved the series, but I think it reached its breaking point for me. The repetitiveness was there from the start, but now it became simply too much. For From Software, departing from Dark Souls meant delivering Bloodborne and Sekiro, I can only hope that it will mean something similar for Team Ninja.

Reinhardt

Arcane
They just covered pretty much all japanese history with 2 games and dlcs.
Well, i would still buy Nioh 3 about Shinsengumi and gatling guns.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Actually Nioh has been quite tasteful in its portrayal of the period (even compared to the more blatant weebery of Samurai Warriors), so no additional animu plz.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I loved the series, but I think it reached its breaking point for me. The repetitiveness was there from the start

I have 110 hours in Nioh 1, two and half playthroughs done. Only mid-WotD I started to feel the repetitiveness. But that's an phenomenal score, considering I bought the game for 15 bucks.

Every single Japanese game that's NOT anime has been p. much my gaming nirvana - Souls, Nioh, MGS5, Dragon's Dogma. I fucking wish I didn't loathe anime so much, alas I can't help it.

kreight

There is this old series of japanese movies - Shinobi No Mono. The face of Hattori Hanzo in Nioh is the face of the actor who played him in the movie.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heads-up, Green Man Gaming has a 22% off discount code valid now you can use on Nioh 2. (As at 08/01/2021).

Takes it down to £38.99 for me, pulled the trigger.
:takemymoney: :d1p::hype:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom