Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the worst non-RPG game you ever played?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No it barely has any dialogue after the first 2 minutes. And don't pretend you have played it because we both know you haven't. Why can't you ever think of anything to say other than tags zomg tags or made up crap about games you haven't played? Why even come here if you have nothing to say..
You dipshit retard,the game is all dialogue,you click on shit to talk with the chick. You could even talk about frogs or whatever animal there was. That is the fucking point of the game,talk with here and build up a relationship that the players could feel for the people in it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Nope still full of shit. The game is 99% walking. Most of the story plays out in audio while you walk, there is more text in this post than in that whole game. If you are really so hurt by me and it is making you lose your shit, you need to speak to a therapist. I can't help you.

PorkBarrellGuy

Back to the Future for the NES, from LJN. Absolute garbage.

El Presidente

Arcane
Out of all the actual playable ones, not the broken messes that you can barely start or play, I'd have to say Excalibur 2555 A.D.

Easily takes my vote as the worst non-broken game I have ever played, I think nothing comes even close.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rome Total War hit a fine loathing spot with those roman soldiers screaming with American accents like some Hollywood marines.
Then I tried Medieval Total War and was dumbfounded by the sheer stupidity of the IA, both for the opponent and for my own troops that could not find their way on the battlefield.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Outpost (1994)
Outpost%28sierra%29.jpg

Initial reviews of Outpost were enthusiastic about the game. The American version of PC Gamer rated the game at 93%, one of its highest ratings ever for the time. It was later made known that the reviewers had in fact played beta versions of the game, and had been promised certain features would be implemented, but never were.[citation needed]

Indeed, many of the features described in the game's own documentation simply did not exist in the game at all. These included the ability to enter diplomatic relations with the rebel colony and the ability to build roads, orbital colonies, or the mass driver. Many of these gameplay aspects were later patched in, though in appearance only, as many of them failed to have any meaningful effect on gameplay.

Following the release of the game, the game's general bugginess and perceived mediocre gameplay, along with the lack of features described in most of the game's reviews and the game's own documentation led to a minor backlash against the computer game magazines of the time by consumers who bought the game based on their reviews.[citation needed]

In 1996, Computer Gaming World declared Outpost the worst computer game ever released.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_(1994_video_game)

Also game journalists have always been shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Aliens: Colonial Marines

This is a strong contender for me. It's probably not really worse than the handful of Call of Duty games I've played through during periods of self-loathing, but the franchise it's attached to drives the knife in further. FEAR 3 is another shit tier FPS that hurts more because of the series it is in.

However for sheer horrible gameplay purity, I will go with Shadow Harvest: Phantom Ops. I'm a stealth game addict with a soft-spot for chick assassins, so I got this in some Steam sale for a few bucks despite the horrible reviews. It really is the worst game ever, with painfully bad everything. Graphics, performance, controls, voice acting, story, level design, mechanics... whatever you can think of, it is the worst at it. Truly a mind-bending experiment in horrid, horrid quality.

DaveO

Erudite
I remember some space attack game where the asteroids would not hurt you and you were attacking an alien mothership from the Atari 800 platform. Quite bad! Unfortunately, I can't quite recall the title.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
LucasArts developed SNES hidden turd Big Sky Trooper was a big disappointment for me as a kid. I hoped for something at least marginally comparable to the good LucasArts games on PC, but BST had none of the charm and plus the gameplay was shit. Not sure it's as bad as I remember it.

Xelocix

Learned
I'm going to say Dishonored 2 because it's the first thing that comes to mind.

The world of Dishonored had so many possibilities, so much potential, but what do they do? They make a shameless carbon-copy clone of the first game with a few tweaks. That's literally it. Oh, and to top it off all of the main characters in this game are throw-away DLC characters from the first. It's like they gathered up the least imaginative people in the world to make as bland of a sequel as possible and then hired them to make Dishonored 2. Fuck that game, everybody who made it, and anybody who says it's good/worth buying.

Deleted member 7219

Two games spring to mind, Age of Empires Online for being an insulting cashgrab that had nothing in common with the rest of the series and Bioshock Infinite for being so mediocre, annoying, and having a bad story yet somehow got critically acclaimed and sold extremely well.

There's got to be others out there but those two are what I thought of first. Fortunately, I wasn't subjected to The Last of Us: Part 2 because the spoilers pre-warned me of the stupid storyline, and to confirm that the spoilers were true I watched a full playthrough and it looked like a total stinker.

Ocelot

Learned
I've played a lot of trashy games but the one that disappointed me the most was Evolve Stage 2. It was a very promising competitive asymmetrical FPS where you either played as a part of a team of hunters or as the monster. The monster would evolve into stronger forms and the hunters had to kill it before it could get too strong. Sounds good but played like shit. The developers fought an uphill battle against gameplay mechanics and matchmaking that were impossible to balance until player count dwindled so much the game was shut down.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Horse Illustrated - Championship Season
One of Head Games's later and more obscure efforts. They did a lot of shit. A lot. Its a horse simulation where you take care of a horse and ride it in competitions. The riding aspect is very simple, but has a flaw in two of the events, you have to jump over obstacles, and you have to jump early in order to jump successfully. Doesn't sound so bad until I tell you that its so zoomed it that you barely have time to react before you have to jump over an obstacle. The taking care of horses part is really weird, the game penalizes you for not doing it and its surprisingly simple given the amount of crap they give about it. This part's a Myst-style adventure section with really, really, really bad click detection. You can barely hit the dialog boxes let alone figure out what you're supposed to click on screen. You can click an okay button right in the middle and nothing happens, so you've got to move around it until it finally accepts. None of this is a joke, I realize it sounds like it, but its really not.

Reality

Learned
Cookiecreamps2.PNG

I'm fine playing a family game with my nicece, but there are sick things about this game that makes me feel it was specifically meant to mock people (as well as normal bad design with hitboxes, infinitely stunlocks, and timer based health)

DaveO

Erudite
I believe I remember the space game now from the Atari 800. If I'm not mistaken it was called Kaos(or something like that spelling).

Jason Liang

Arcane
Off the top of my head, Jaws.

I have a lot of fond memories of Outpost. I remember it a better game than SimCity.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Thief 2014. A stinking fetid abortion of a game. It was an undeserved butchering of the franchise to appease some asshat's "I know better" ego. They had no idea what made the original games so great. I wish nothing but chronic testicular torsion on the people responsible.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Cookiecreamps2.PNG

I'm fine playing a family game with my nicece, but there are sick things about this game that makes me feel it was specifically meant to mock people (as well as normal bad design with hitboxes, infinitely stunlocks, and timer based health)

That’s FromSoftware's most hardcore game.

Last edited:

Dick

Educated
Cookiecreamps2.PNG

The title can also be misread as cockie & cream, which I accidently read it as, due to the strange placing of the &-symbol. Have to wonder how this has been overlooked, or maybe put there just on purpose.?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the worse game i've ever played is probably this:

234263-ardennes-offensive-windows-front-cover.jpg

it's not redeemable in any way.. well, i do think the visuals have a certain quality to them:

535465-ardennes-offensive-windows-screenshot-got-myself-a-rifle.png

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There was this Barbie game. You had to prepare Barbie to go on a date and the preparation involved hairdressing. Beyond all the normal tools you'd expect to be available for a hairdresser there was a pair of scissors that could make her hair longer. How dumb is that? Very unrealistic. By far the worst game I've played and nowhere as good as the Barbie game where you go on a deep sea adventure and have to find a hidden treasure at the bottom of the sea.

yooow0t

Educated
Without a doubt, it has to be Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz for the Wii. Most bad games have the decency to wear it on their sleeves, you figure out pretty quick that the game is shit because the visuals look terrible, the controls don't work, etc. But SMBBB has competently designed levels, relatively smooth motion controls, decent visuals (for the Wii) and decent music, looking at each aspect individually that is.

Basically, you're a monkey in a ball and you have to maneuver around perilously tight stages with the Wii remote without falling off the map. This is much harder than it should be.
Monkey_Ball_Wii.JPG

35.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

This would be frustrating enough but you also have to listen to a budget Wii sports announcer obnoxiously declare your failings in real time and put up with the little wails and moans the monkeys make as short lives come to an end, time after time, at the hands of the Wii motion controls.

Perhaps the game could be played without motion controls but, as a kid, I could never figure it out. Apparently even Monkey Ball fans dislike this game so I probably wasn't missing much.

Rieser

Scholar
Probably Dear Esther, though whether it should be labelled a "game" is highly debatable.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Dear Esther

I played Dear Esther circa 2012, didn't think much of it. Years later, I was listening to a podcast where somebody mentions that Dear Esther has these supernatural events that happen randomly, but you could very well complete the game and not see it at all, and I was like "WTF?". So yeah, Dear Esther definitely is in my game design from Hell shortlist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom