Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite city builder?

Gamezor

Learned
I've been into city builders lately. I tried going back to Simcity 2000 and 3000, but wound up playing 4 with the NAM mod that fixes the traffic simulation. It's been a lot of fun so far, although it definitely shows its age in a few ways. One way is the jank that all of the extra NAM pieces add. Modding it to add stuff to make prettier cities would also be a bitch of tons of downloads and dependencies that I don't want to deal with. I do really like the city management and sim aspects.

Picked up Skylines and am also giving that a try as well. I like the simulation of individual sims/cars, I generally like the graphics although I instantly got a mod to remove the ridiculous distance fog. I'm not sure I want the level of granularity over traffic control it offers, but should be fun to play with. Early game seems pretty easy, but so is SC4 early game.

What do you like best between SC4 / Skylines or what other city builder type games have you played and enjoyed?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
SimCity 2000 on the Sega Saturn :oops:

Maybe I ought to try one of the newer ones some day...

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Sim City 3000 had the best overall gameplay, art style, soundtrack and ‘spirit’ for me. I never played modded Sim City 4, though.

Boleskine

Arcane
I really enjoyed the Caesar III/Pharaoh/Zeus games.

RZVKYES.jpg

4c74Bfs.jpeg

78lMqr7.jpeg

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Banished, Emperor, and a few others are pretty good. I don't think there's one city builder that has yet taken off.

Gamezor

Learned
I lost interest in skylines after a few hours. I realize that’s super early game but it just doesn’t absorb me the way that sc4 does. Skylines is not as good as simcity at conveying information to you and it also has too much abstraction for me in some places and not enough in others. I went back to sim city 4.

Starwars

Arcane
If we're allowed to chooe pure nostalgiadriven options then I'd pick Sim City for the SNES. Hearing one of those music tracks puts me right back into it, feeling the excitement of placing my very own villa.

Tropico 1 is also a strong contender. Not necessarily for gameplay but the the SOUL, yes.

Banished is quite good.

Sim City 4 would probably be my choice for best game. Not necessarily favorite though.

oscar

Arcane
I love this genre in theory but in practice find modern builders way too easy and old ones too puzzly.

3000 was a favourite of mine growing up and still holds up pretty well.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which tropico is the best? I have 1-5 for some reason but never played any of them.

Norfleet

SimShitty 5, because it's the only edition of SimCity with a train wreck.

Hey, don't look at me like that, you said favorite, not best.

Gamezor

Learned
SimShitty 5, because it's the only edition of SimCity with a train wreck.

Hey, don't look at me like that, you said favorite, not best.

I plan to try that one. I mean, it can't be as bad as people make it out to be right?

Quilty

Magister
Which tropico is the best? I have 1-5 for some reason but never played any of them.

The first Tropico is still my favourite one. It just has that special something, and it offers the perfect blend of simulation, quality of visuals (well, if you like the style), an amazing soundtrack, a fun, laidback atmosphere, and of course the charming humor. The second one is fun too, but all the other ones in the series suffer from a jarring conflict between realistic graphics that simply don't fit the spirit of the original and a grating, thoroughly unfunny attempts at humor. They're by German developers, after all, if I'm not mistaken.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
ActRaiser, because wiping out half of the populace in each area with an earthquake helps maximize your city and character while also being hilarious.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thorgeim

Educated
Used to love Pharaoh etc. but couldnt go through the faff of making it work on Win10 with a decent resolution, nearly did it once but there were graphical bugs.
SC4 was great.

What I want to mention though is the new Pharaoh type game that I recently found - Nebuchadnezzar, Im having a hard time remembering the name but this looks very promising and I love cute 2D graphics.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
What I want to mention though is the new Pharaoh type game that I recently found - Nebuchadnezzar, Im having a hard time remembering the name but this looks very promising and I love cute 2D graphics.
Huh, that looks pretty rad. Way better than the WEWUZKANGZ remake of Pharaoh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom