Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Spell - city defense tactical RPG with roguelite mechanics

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
PaysNuit565.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yea the first thing I think of when I hear The Night Land is fucking Final Fantasy and Dynasty Warriors. Fuck off.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The Soviet Union is back and making video games?

HYPE.

kreight

Are your bodily fluids ready? Because they are gonna take them from you.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Intrigued. JRPG-TBT with base building and fail forward mechanics? Sounds like a winning combo to me. Unfortunately the music is so bad I don't know if I could stand to play it.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried a few minutes of the demo. I guess there are three phases to the game - combat, resource gathering, and building defenses. I only played the combat part so far. Lots of tiny fiddly RPG rules here, in a good way, I didn't read any of that but quickly learned some of the maneuvers for each character. I do like that the focus is on huge armies of weak enemies, you learn quickly to lean hard on area effect attacks and you feel powerful even as you're getting hacked to pieces. Kind of a shame to play this without music but the death metal is too awful for words. Sadly on the discord a few people are praising the music and no one but me is going ehhhhhh

kreight

Their FAQ says the music guy is Remi Gallego. You can check out his music on spotify, it's not only death metal.

Zombra

Patron
Their FAQ says the music guy is Remi Gallego. You can check out his music on spotify, it's not only death metal.
Yeah, as I commented on the discord, the guy is clearly very talented. It makes sense to me though that he comes from a performance background with no soundtrack experience.

Andhaira

Arcane
This is a must buy for me, thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Only thing is if I should buy now or wait for Full release

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is a must buy for me, thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Only thing is if I should buy now or wait for Full release

How does it compare to They are Billions? That aspect of the trailer looked most interesting to me.

Andhaira

Arcane

How does it compare to They are Billions? That aspect of the trailer looked most interesting to me.

No idea, never played it. I dislike tower defence games, this is only the 2nd I've ever played. First was Dominus decades ago.

I like TLS due to the fun combat, abilities and grim dark atmosphere. I just wish abilities were tied to character classes or professions rather than items, but I can pretend it's that way when I play so it won't bother me too much

Brickfrog

Learned
Played it for a few hours, the gameplay loop seems solid. It does the modern rogue like thing where your first few runs are pretty much 100% hopeless because the difficulty seems to be tuned for players who have acquired globally persistent upgrades which are purchased post-game.

Overall it's pretty good at $17 if the words roguelite-towerdefense don't make you wretch. Worth mentioning that this isn't like a warcraft 3 mod kind of tower defense. The heroes do the heavy lifting in combat.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Isn't TAB real-time? TLS is turn-based, very JRPG tactical in its visual presentation. And the setting is very strong dark fantasy. I guess the only thing really in common is that both have huge swarms of enemies - which is certainly a novel change for JRPG tactics.

tripedal

Savant
Been playing it a bit, it's quite good. Addictive gameplay loop, very nice presentation, great music, tons of stuff to unlock (it's got a double meta progression system: half based on cheevos, half based on a resource you can choose where to spend). It's turn-based so it's a bit slow but that just goes with the territory. There's a bunch of resources to manage, lots of choices to make, and the systems all seem well-balanced thus far. The abilities available to each hero depend on the weapon they have equipped and you can change it freely (and there are two loadouts you can swap mid-battle). The tower defense aspect isn't particularly emphasized, it's really about controlling your 3 dudes.

Humanophage

Arcane
I also bought the EA after playing the demo. The combat part is quite fun, although the unlocking is at first tedious because it limits build variety for no good reason. The difficulty is to a large degree determined by the unlocks, although it slows down later.

I posted about this in the news section, but I can't emphasise just how convenient the short animations are. Even at the default speed, they are near-instant. This is an extremely welcome change from the unskippable and slow animations in many recent 3D games. There is also the massive bonus that all enemies move simultaneously rather than one by one. If only more games did this.

A couple of points:
- You get more than 3 dudes. You can expand the hero cap. I'm not sure what the max is, but it is at least 6.
- Although you only get 3 weapon types in the beginning, this later expands to quite a lot.
- Multi-hit enhancers for the hand crossbow seem very powerful.

Also for now, I agree with the critique that melee options are subpar. The only justification for me has been that you can use melee execute to finish off near-dead opponents without spending action points. However, you can probably afford to spend a couple of multi-hits.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played this one a lot in my days off this week and enjoyed it a lot. Combat feels really good and destroying overwhelming hordes with spells feels satisfying. Unlocking things is a bit grindy I like that mechanic and the celestial ladies. City management is cool too.

Melee characters feels lacking the power of casters and bowmen. Spear/sword combo can get in and out combat quickly while causing good damage but you can deal much more with power staff (that shit feels like Warhammer pyromancers, me likey) with anyother magic source and clear half of the screen in one turn.

Still haven't unlocked the 4 th dude but I unlocked balistas and additional wizards. Both underwhelming considering the amount of dark juice I spent on them. I mean, balistas can be useful if build a wall with them but I hoped that more wizards meant faster casting time but it just gave "the Last Spell" more HP...

Really suprised so far, even put King Arthur on hold for some time now.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And just after I wrote melee characters are underpowered, I found a dagger and a greatsword. While greatsword need some movement points and dodge to be more effective dagger just murder masses with little multi hit investment.
Pairing dagger with spear and pairing greatsword with some movement helping weapon will make them really good I think.

Absinthe

Arcane
Seems interesting but if it's Steam-only it's an automatic skip. Is there still a demo btw or was that just a temporary thing?

Also, really not digging the hipster indie pixel art aesthetic. I enjoy good pixel art, but the hipster indie version always looks unnecessarily shitty. If you're going to do pixel art, do it right ffs.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom