Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

V_K

Arcane
A women warrior at all is unrealistic
480x497_0_339c779b55ca730e1016742749aa22d3@480x497_0x0a330c9a_8621366351549276924.jpeg

Gastrick

Cipher
V_K
I hope that is just photoshopped because otherwise that is some extreme steroid use. Really surreal.

Looked it up and she is real with this on Wikipedia: "She speaks openly about her use of anabolic steroids and estrogen blockers." She made herself a semi-tranny then.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can you be bothered by it? A women warrior at all is unrealistic, her not wearing proper armor after shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Also fighting naked is not that unrealistic if you use a shield.

h9ypZxx.jpg

The celts probably did that if you go by Herodian:

“they puncture their bodies with pictured forms of every sort of animals. And this is the reason why they wear no clothes, to avoid covering the drawings on their bodies.”

A chainmail bikini is worse than literally going naked since it might obstruct you, but that is not a huge thing.
If you have a woman warrior in a chainmail bikini the chainmail bikini is the less ahistoric part.

Gastrick

Cipher

h9ypZxx.jpg

“they puncture their bodies with pictured forms of every sort of animals. And this is the reason why they wear no clothes, to avoid covering the drawings on their bodies.”

A chainmail bikini is worse than literally going naked since it might obstruct you, but that is not a huge thing.
If you have a woman warrior in a chainmail bikini the chainmail bikini is the less ahistoric part.
I was thinking of that as well in the fictional hero Conan the Barbarian, interesting to hear that there is a real-life equivalent.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

h9ypZxx.jpg

I was thinking of that as well in the fictional hero Conan the Barbarian, interesting to hear that there is a real-life equivalent.

It is only logical if you consider how shit light armor is.
Leather armor as Hollywood/Gygax envision it does not exist. Primitive light armors made from boiled leather or bone existed, but they require valuable ressources and they do not give much protection.
Quilted cloth, in the style of an Arming Doublet/Gambeson is surprisingly protective, but it is a relatively new tech invented in 1000 AD or so.
Apart from that you need metal to get any decent protective value. And if you can't access metal the alternatives are wearing heavy furs and cloth or going naked.

6Ylke0c.jpg

Berserker might come from warriors wearing bear furr.

So if you have the options of fighting naked or fighting in furs (which are also not that easy to get) or fighting in normal clothes fighting naked is not that bad a deal.
Especially if it gives you a bit of a culture shock as an intimidation bonus.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Who knew that making fighters shounen heroes was the answer all along?

Not shonen hero, but a lv 20 wizard can literally shape the reality.

A lv 20 barbarian is mundane in every aspect except HP. 30 feet movement + 4 strikes in 6 second seems very mundane. Only low level barbarians shroud fell mundane. And is not a "shonen hero", is just superhuman, with superhuman movement, superhuman jump and some powerful martial techniques, able to decapitate enemies, make weaklings die from his warcry alone and fell more like a norse mythological bersesrk(Elite of Odin army) than just a dude who can soak a lot of damage.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All my points are good.

When I read I can stop time and wish anything into existence, I give up on the system entirely. I don't want to do this especially since I have PTSD from the horrible high level D&D experience. I am planning on creating my own system (with no arcane spellcasters) that will fix all my issues with most RPG systems. Killing Irenicus while having access to 9th level spells but not using them just means the party is grotesquely overpowered.
You seem to be living on a different planet. Or simply are unable to empathize with a different person.

Just because you like a big dick sword, doesn't mean my awesome mage isn't worth shit. For the record, I'm a monk player, and I get shafted almost every game, so... suck it, princess.

Also Irenicus, in vanilla BG2, can be easily dispatched by just summoning creatures with high magic rezistance. Summon Undead, for example. Meaning... you can skim through the game (maybe get your stronghold), and be able to beat Irenicus just fine.
Why are we arguing like we're 15? I don't understand.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
No, you don't and you apparently fail at text comprehension too. I have merely stated that spinning techniques do exist and that I find the animation okay for a critical hit or fancy finish. It bothers me much less than bikini armor and other abominations we see so often.
You can you be bothered by it? A women warrior at all is unrealistic, her not wearing proper armor after shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

In Boxing, MMA and fencing spinning techniques never happen, it just isn't how fights work.

The "hurr durr stronk wahmen" trope is not something that will go away, regrettably.

Interesting that I saw KOs from backfists, spinning kicks and spinning elbows that "never happen" according to you.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

h9ypZxx.jpg

It is only logical if you consider how shit light armor is.
Leather armor as Hollywood/Gygax envision it does not exist. Primitive light armors made from boiled leather or bone existed, but they require valuable ressources and they do not give much protection.
Quilted cloth, in the style of an Arming Doublet/Gambeson is surprisingly protective, but it is a relatively new tech invented in 1000 AD or so.
Apart from that you need metal to get any decent protective value. And if you can't access metal the alternatives are wearing heavy furs and cloth or going naked.

6Ylke0c.jpg

Berserker might come from warriors wearing bear furr.

So if you have the options of fighting naked or fighting in furs (which are also not that easy to get) or fighting in normal clothes fighting naked is not that bad a deal.
Especially if it gives you a bit of a culture shock as an intimidation bonus.

Good post though just to mention there is some suggestion that the Romans had some padding/gambeson equivalent that they wore under the Hamata.

There are references to the "subarmalis" or "thoromachus" in Roman texts being worn under armour. Sadly we don't have surviving examples because cloth obviously doesn't tend to survive, it also wouldn't show up in artwork because it would be worn under the armour.

I think all mail wearing cultures would have worn some sort of thick clothing underneath at the very least, if not dedicated padding. It's a bit of a no brainer for enhancing both protection and comfort. Mail over light clothing isn't very comfortable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I looked up a bit about this, and found an interesting defense of it.
:hmmm:
And the defence of it is some weak gypsy midget youtuber bitching asian sports.....ahhh ok mate.

A women warrior
Is very rare exception. In rpgs being part of your team is not unrealistic,but when every second woman is warrior,yeah it is unrealistic. There are warrior women in human history,but they are not those buffed conan like warriors and shit lol,

And celts got raped left and right every time they ended up fighting another cultural group/civilization.

Leather armor
:hmmm:
If you think that it doesn't exist...then you are retard lol. Sure,it is not like in games,but that is with everything in them lol. A leather armour could protect you from light slashes and against beast's claws and such. It is not a dedicated armour that gives you real protection,it was used as a secondary protection beneath the plate armour and the chain shirt. It was to mitigate blunt impact trauma. It is padding as they call it in the middle centuries,evolution of armour and all that. Also it was useful for warmth in mountain regions. Instead of talking about the first shit that popped after typing leather armour in google,check out about the lorica squamata,linothorax,spolas or kotthubos.

Geee fucking retards think that because they had read some shit on wikipedia after they watched some no life loser on youtube,and now they are knowledgable and know shit. Fuck,there is just too many stupid people thinking themself smart!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sadly we don't have surviving examples because cloth obviously doesn't tend to survive,
That is not true,there is survived pieces of latin leather armours. I saw a few when i visited the museums in Rome and Viena. But yeah,generally it is a big find if you manage to find a survived leather armour. Most them just rot away with time. Most of the remaining exhibits were found in north afriaca and middle east,because of the dry weather and such. I believe that there is one or two exhibits in kwan too,but not sure about it.

Elex

Arbiter
Let the guy with a sword be the guy with a sword, let the savage with an axe be savage.
it’s the entire point of cooperative ttrpg overcoming impossible enemies with insane power and resource, and still win.

If the guy with a sword can do all the anime shit then where is the surprise and satisfaction in stopping a superior power?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
If you think that it doesn't exist...then you are retard lol. Sure,it is not like in games,but that is with everything in them lol. A leather armour could protect you from light slashes and against beast's claws and such. It is not a dedicated armour that gives you real protection,it was used as a secondary protection beneath the plate armour and the chain shirt. It was to mitigate blunt impact trauma. It is padding as they call it in the middle centuries,evolution of armour and all that. Also it was useful for warmth in mountain regions. Instead of talking about the first shit that popped after typing leather armour in google,check out about the lorica squamata,linothorax,spolas or kotthubos.

Nigger that is Gambeson you are speaking off. Gambeson was what was worn beneath plate since it is much stronger than leather armor while being cheaper.
The only good point is that raised by Tacgnol that the medieval Europeans were not the first to invent padded armor.
And that does not even disprove the point unless there is proof that these armors were also worn without metal armor on top. Which is however pretty possible, as padded armor is quite good at what it does.

My own quote about that:

And the defence of it is some weak gypsy midget youtuber bitching asian sports.....ahhh ok mate.

Also try to sober up first before posting. I still do not agree with the guy and think that spinning is unrealistic.
But if you watch the video he literally cuts to spinning moves used in asian sports, and he has a rank in that. So saying that they do not exist in martial arts is plain wrong.

However my own quote about it:

His argument roots on eastern combat sports using it a lot, but those are known to carry ineffective techniques out of tradition.

Make a Blood Alcohol Test before posting on the codex bulgarian gypsy.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
With martial arts, apart from the obvious (training and spirit), what's effective is surprise, so if everyone and their mother is doing spinning back-kicks and you do BJJ you wipe the floor; if everyone and their mother is doing BJJ and you come in with a spinning back-kick you wipe the floor.

Heck, even mall Karoddy was effective at one time because nobody had seen anything like it before. It's all relative.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Neanderthal women had as much muscles as men, later, for survival purposes; having less meat available; women ate less meat than men or even none at all and future generation lost their muscle mass, the tribes specialized, most men became hunters/warriors while women were gatherers, skinning, etc.

There's also a lot of more recent examples when women fight.
Nowadays, it's even more obvious because almost anyone can handle a rifle...

Also, a lot of warriors won wars wearing pelts or just war paint, heavy armors only makes sense when fighting on horseback or on formation.
Even most lighter armors restricts movement to some extend.
Did any soldier wear an armor during the Napoleonic wars?
The answer is no.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Also, a lot of warriors won wars wearing pelts or just war paint, heavy armors only makes sense when fighting on horseback or on formation.

This is true before the iron age. Smelting Iron means access to a very strong and relatively abundant material. This was the reason that heavy mass infantery armies became so dominant and phased out the war chariots of the bronze age.
During high iron age (ie medieval) a high percentage of the army will be wearing at least a breast plate or a chain shirt over some gambeson. Only poorer troops will wear only a heavier version of the cloth armor.
Armor then later becomes less attractive as the musket becomes so powerfull as to invalidate a large part of the defensive advantage in the rennaissance.

In the bronze age however for civilisations that had no access to excellent logistics for both components of bronze (copper and tin. Particularily tin was a bitch to get) or access to enough cloth/technique for a Linothorax or some other cloth armor naked warriors with spear and shield are not that stupid.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Myth.

On modern warfare, is common for some soldiers in some countries like from USA to carry over 50kg of equipment( to be fair, some people argue that they are overloaded, eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6fZsaRbn8 )

Yeah I remember digging into that years ago and being surprised. That stuff was super high-tech for the day, refined and perfected over centuries, afforded a lot of mobility, and most importantly it was closely tailored to fit the wearer. The idea of being able to pick up and wear a random full set of plate like you do in RPGs is pretty silly really, when you have some sense of the reality. :)

You can also tell from the mediaeval "fight books." A lot of wrestling and quite agile manouvers and footwork mixed in with all the cut and thrust - wouldn't have been possible if you were locked up by armor.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Myth.

On modern warfare, is common for some soldiers in some countries like from USA to carry over 50kg of equipment( to be fair, some people argue that they are overloaded, eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6fZsaRbn8 )

Yeah I remember digging into that years ago and being surprised. That stuff was super high-tech for the day, refined and perfected over centuries, afforded a lot of mobility, and most importantly it was closely tailored to fit the wearer. The idea of being able to pick up and wear a random full set of plate like you do in RPGs is pretty silly really, when you have some sense of the reality. :)

You can also tell from the mediaeval "fight books." A lot of wrestling and quite agile manouvers and footwork mixed in with all the cut and thrust - wouldn't have been possible if you were locked up by armor.

In medieval England during the 15th century, it was apparently a mark of shame for a knight if he wasn't able to vault into his saddle with his full panoply worn. It shows how well designed the armour was and the expectations that warriors had for agility and flexibility.

Incidentally, this thread has reminded me of one of my favourite anecdotes showing the general effectiveness of plate armour.

An English cavalry commander and major parliamentarian (Sir Arthur Haselrig) during the 17th century civil war raised a unit of 3/4 plate armoured heavy cavalry and was separated from his men during a cavalry clash with royalist forces. The man took an awful lot of punishment and survived. This was long after the golden age of armour as well.

Haselrig was shot three times at Roundway Down, with the bullets apparently bouncing off his armour. After firing a pistol at Haselrig's helmeted head at close range without any effect Richard Atkyns described how he attacked him with his sword, but it too caused no visible damage; Haselrig was under attack from a number of people and only succumbed when Atkyns attacked his unarmoured horse. After the death of his horse Haselrig tried to surrender; but as he fumbled with his sword, which was tied to his wrist, he was rescued. He suffered only minor wounds from his ordeal.

Gastrick

Cipher
Leather armor may help defend against hand-to-hand combat, slings and perhaps also against a mace or morning star. Also if an arrow or sword grazes you, it would hit the armor instead of your skin and be deflected.
Interesting that I saw KOs from backfists, spinning kicks and spinning elbows that "never happen" according to you.
What do those have to do with full-body spins?
Neanderthal women had as much muscles as men, later, for survival purposes; having less meat available; women ate less meat than men or even none at all and future generation lost their muscle mass, the tribes specialized, most men became hunters/warriors while women were gatherers, skinning, etc.

There's also a lot of more recent examples when women fight.
Nowadays, it's even more obvious because almost anyone can handle a rifle...

Did any soldier wear an armor during the Napoleonic wars?
The answer is no.
Lol, Neanderthals. I heard space alien women are really powerful as well. Maybe then Cleve's granddaughter will be shredded.

Rifles weren't available in medieval times so I'm not sure what your point is.

Renevent

Cipher
I was thinking about picking this one up...but the compainons looks derpy as fuck. Are they as bad as they look in the screen shots? Not interested in another pathfinder kingmaker experience with stronk women whining about their petty issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom