Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

ADL

Prophet
actually they killed deus ex because they *did* stuff it with microtransactions.
It's a damn shame too because the praxis kits were completely unnecessary and when the credits rolled I laughed and thought to myself who the fuck would pay for them? I was rolling in them by playing the game. At this point I'm more convinced that the cretins who flipped out over the non-ending were the ones that killed the series.

MD had possibly the greatest setup for a sequel too.
spooky X-Files shit including the Versalife vault, Jensen's apartment being monitored, the handler at the intelligence agency and the mysterious augmentations

Terra

Cipher
SquareEnix hasn't got a fucking clue how to run/manage its western IP. Hitman devs had a lucky escape, but just see how much they were floundering despite having the best iteration on the IP in years. MD should have been a home run, yet rumours circled about how the last part of the game got chopped off. Continuing on, you take a look at their ongoing history of botched "directors cut" ports that somehow end up worse off than the original versions, and if that's not enough, they laughably devalue their western IPs (frequent 85%+ sales on all western IP) yet the oh so prestigious japanese IPs will never dip below 50% due to the faded prestige of years gone by. Whole company is a shitshow.

Mortmal

Arcane
Everybody knows if you want real money, fame and e-girls, you make a Planescape: Torment.

I only want "good" RPG's.

Money and pussy comes from elsewhere and fame is just a passage to cancerous cancel culture, nobody in their senses wants that.

Thatsthejoke.jpg.

But seriously enough, nobody in their right mind wants to spend 5 years burning themselves out to make a "good" RPG that gets 10 steam purchases and then is mostly forgotten.

Nobody except the prestigious grognards on the 'dex of course. For every Underrail or similarly successful game, you have another ten lost in the cesspool that is Steam.
Too few prestigious grognards and dont count on them . If you find a great game and ask people to play it in shoutbox they will say no, cause its on steam and they want drm free. If by luck its not only on steam , they will still complain its not on linux. If once a blue moon its on linux they will disgruntedly stop posting their opinion about trump , women, or jews and look at it . They will say they may purchase on sale or for 1$ on humble bundle but most likely proceed to torrent it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Everybody knows if you want real money, fame and e-girls, you make a Planescape: Torment.

Money and pussy comes from elsewhere and fame is just a passage to cancerous cancel culture, nobody in their senses wants that.

Thatsthejoke.jpg.

But seriously enough, nobody in their right mind wants to spend 5 years burning themselves out to make a "good" RPG that gets 10 steam purchases and then is mostly forgotten.

Nobody except the prestigious grognards on the 'dex of course. For every Underrail or similarly successful game, you have another ten lost in the cesspool that is Steam.
Too few prestigious grognards and dont count on them . If you find a great game and ask people to play it in shoutbox they will say no, cause its on steam and they want drm free. If by luck its not only on steam , they will still complain its not on linux. If once a blue moon its on linux they will disgruntedly stop posting their opinion about trump , women, or jews and look at it . They will say they may purchase on sale or for 1$ on humble bundle but most likely proceed to torrent it.

:negative:

That's pretty much the internet in a nutshell. Codex is no exception, except with a higher age average.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014

Thatsthejoke.jpg.

That's pretty much the internet in a nutshell. Codex is no exception, except with a higher age average.
On the other side of the spectrum you have the polite crowd that always gets excited about upcoming AAA titles and preorders them despite many warnings and lessons from the past. After an overhyped game turns out to be shit, they parrot the same comments and memes over and over again under 30 min analysis videos on youtube. Balanced.

The game is rigged from the start.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
FB_IMG_1609449519843.jpg

orcinator

Liturgist
Nope, I'm sticking with plot induced stupidity. For a job like this I want clear numbers and those numbers better be enough to get myself a new face, new papers, and a ticket to Mars. The whole scene where you go over the plan with DEx and find out he screws you over in the split reminded me of that scene in the Jackal with Bruce Willis in which he gets hired to assassinate the US First Lady - he clearly states that if he takes that job it needs to pay enough for him to drop off the face of the Earth. V and Jackie are like "pays good? what? we're getting screwed? got a number at least? no? ok, we'll fucking do it, want us to blow you now or after?"

Dex was aware that had the plan worked out, the payment would be scaled to V's level.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Thatsthejoke.jpg.

If I ever got to the position to make a game, it would be nearly text based.

I do not know about the others, nor do I care.

Perkel

Arcane
well found this in Kabuki market ripperdoc.
I am only lvl5 lol. 14k was steep but should work into "heavy" build

edit: ok i am fucking stupid idiot. There is TRADE option also when you do stuff with ripperdocks and they have mods you can buy for your implants.................

unknown.png

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
actually they killed deus ex because they *did* stuff it with microtransactions.

No, Square Enix killed it because it wasn't profitable enough with mtx. They decided to make the studio work on a full GaaS game, Avengers....

We all know how that turned out.

I'm scared for the future of Deus Ex, Square may decided to bring it back, but turning it into a full game as service monstruosity

Learned
Guess I'm giving this game too much credit because it reminds me of Omikron, another highly flawed game that is dear to me.

Both games are too ambitious with very intriguing settings and premises marred by incomplete or outright broken features. Both allow you to drive, shoot and fight in bleak, high-tech open world settings. Plus there's the soul thing. Even some specific things are similar, from the various food items which are redundant because of legit healing items to fight tournaments and even the zoomed in minimaps.

Honestly, it's uncanny. It's difficult to explain but I wish you all could see what I see.

Depends of what you expect, no mods will fix the worse issues and wont change the nature of the game but if you just wanna some pretty storyfag cyberpunk open world to dick around and not die of boredom at it and not much more than that, definitely wait for mods and DLC. There is alot of BS that can be fixed with a rebalancing mods (...)

Remove level scaling, having low body means you cant do jack shit on melee instead of you annihilating the oposition a little faster as it is now.

I'm only talking of rebalancing because the Ai also needs a makeover to be more agressive but I dunno how accessible the game Ai is to mods.

Someone will definitely go the extra mile with mods.

Greatly reduced carry weight to encourage stash/trunk use, no crafting or dismantling on the go but at special stations only, weighted ammo and consumables, a complete item overhaul without leveled loot or tiers... And this is just off the top of my head.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Basically all the itemization systems should be thrown out and rebuilt from scratch. It's so bad in CP2077 that I'm fixing my game based on how pointless its loot system is.

Less is more. Impactful upgrades > pointless filler loot.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I managed to identify another issue with CP77's presentation. Witcher 3's exposition works because the player is blocked in dialogue mode. With fixers yammering in my ear as I'm walking or driving, I never take the gigs/jobs and the associated exposition as seriously or pay the same attention to it.

They ripped that style off from GTA / Red Dead Redemption (because $$Rockstar$$) since they were going for a GTAish type clone so I'm not at all surprised by the 'drive a long ass way and be forced to listen to exposition' it is a 100% lift from Rockstar and was equally annoying in those games particularly RDR2 where half the game exposition takes place while you are riding a horse during unskippable sequences.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Even if they do I'm not worried since it won't be years till what I'm working on gets released anyway lol.

So what are "you" working on?

Please tell me it's an agent RPG that looks and works like this:

Has character systems and reactivity close to this:

And has level design close to this:
At this stage I can confirm the game uses Hubs. Unlike Deus Ex you'll be able to chose which hub you go to.
Stealth system I can confirm already works like Deus Ex and Thief at least on the player end. I've yet to get the AI working since its early days.
That's all I'm able to talk about.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I think the perk trees were pretty professionally put together when you compare it to the average output for games like this. The bonuses generally work. There are separate talent trees for every weapon type and each has a unique identity. It's just that the combat encounters are not balanced.

With you on most of the other stuff except this. The perk trees are hot garbage and utter shyte. I will tell you a very easy way to determine this. If you are playing a game and can spend 10 perk points into a skill line which adds virtually no value to your character or 10 skill points into a skill line that makes you able to 1 shot kill every enemy in the game that is de facto unbalanced.

I don't mean 'oh well you are a non-combat character' vs. a combat character. I mean literally the perks are useless. Quick example- There is a perk that will increase damage for all weapon types by 50% (headshot out of combat) in about the same basic position as a perk that lets you not take damage underwater. NOT TAKE DAMAGE UNDERWATER. Did ya spend lots of time swimming on your playthrough? Because other than trying to have Scissor Sister Vigorous Pubic Bone Grinding with my Dyke Lover (AKA trying to fuck Judy) I spent approx. zero time underwater.

There are manifold examples like this throughout the perk system, it is awful and that is even against something like Witcher 3 which wasn't the best but far outweighs this comically unbalanced perk system.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Basically all the itemization systems should be thrown out and rebuilt from scratch. It's so bad in CP2077 that I'm fixing my game based on how pointless its loot system is.

Less is more. Impactful upgrades > pointless filler loot.

The BL system of itemization has been complete shit since BL1 yet people pretend to like it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Even if they do I'm not worried since it won't be years till what I'm working on gets released anyway lol.

So what are "you" working on?

Please tell me it's an agent RPG that looks and works like this:

Has character systems and reactivity close to this:

And has level design close to this:
At this stage I can confirm the game uses Hubs. Unlike Deus Ex you'll be able to chose which hub you go to.
Stealth system I can confirm already works like Deus Ex and Thief at least on the player end. I've yet to get the AI working since its early days.
That's all I'm able to talk about.

Are you under a NDA or is this your own game? In my experience, as an indie you generally want to talk about your game as soon as possible except in some very specific circumstances. This helps marketing, such as it is, and generate word of mouth.

The BL system of itemization has been complete shit since BL1 yet people pretend to like it.

Let's be frank: looter shooters are a thing, but catering to that type of player in your "revolutionary RPG" is the most steep of declines. Tiny dopamine kicks are for children, real men prefer sustained, substantial orgasms.

Pretty much why Dark Souls (whatever your opinion of its RPG elements) is vastly better than the garbage that is Nioh.

Varnaan

Augur
Was a far better game, experience, product and at least tried something different.
It was too ambitious for its own good maybe considering the time it was made in, kinda like Daggerfall in another register maybe, but I don't get how you can compare it to Cyberpunk.
It's not like Cyberpunk is some sort of UFO in the gaming world, GTA, Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs did the open world city better, GTA for decades, and even the recent Deus Ex did the Cyberpunk and "RPG" thing better.
I'd even go as far as to say that except for *some* writing, even the recent Assassin's Creed games, except the last one because I haven't played it, did almost everything better.

Happy new year, except to CDPR.

KK1001

Arbiter
The more I play the more I realize that this is just an extremely volatile game, a janky first pass that is trying to live up to the legacy of CDPR's prior RPGs while also being an action RPG and immershun exposition. The game is really hot and cold.

Up:
- Sneaking into the factory with the people making the snuff BDs and you have some choice at the end and the NPCs actually fucking react to what you do.
- The Johnny flashback stuff. Yeah, it's popamole corridor shit, but the music and atmosphere are cool.
- Introduction quest to Pacifica, helicopter attack, beautiful vistas. Sneaking into the mall and some C&C with how you deal with the voodoos boys and net watch. The boss fight was whatever but it wasn't painful. Had some nice C&C before. You can tell this section had been in for a long time.
- Driving around with the perfect song, just basically taking in the world.
- The like 5% of combat encounters that have the sweet spot of difficulty and functional AI

Down:
- Panam main quest with encounters where I am forced to fight, shoot stupid drones, bugs everywhere (flew back 200 feet when I tried to smash the glass). Way too much reliance on exposition during driving sections. I'm not entirely against some classes excelling in certain missions, but I don't like being forced into shooty role.
- Playing on Very Hard and the Lizzie just mowing people down despite no specialization in pistols
- Enemies just not fucking shooting me? Shotgun guys will walk right towards me without firing as I shoot them over and over again. I feel like there are serious bugs with the combat AI as it currently stands because sometimes it breaks entirely.
- Hacking range and perks being insanely busted.
- Cyberpsycho encounters not feeling as handcrafted as I'd like

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Melee combat reflects the game as a whole. There are moments when you're specced into blade and have time jiggery fuckery cyberware where the simplicity of it really works. And then there's the rest of the time, like with melee cybersychos, where it's 'block, spam quick attacks, block when it's their turn to attack' by numbers when it should be the real test of all aspects of even that simple system.

See where CDPR get with it because there are large chunks of the game which will start stinking to a lot more people once the immediate 'cyberbug' phase has been patched away.

Started another female V run to try out something with the big set piece prologue mission more than anything.
Curiously only Nomad beginning gets the voiced lines to identify the Militech mole as Stroud's stress toy. It's possible to identify Gilchrist and still end up with him meeting you at the gate - handwaved away as Stroud getting too angsty therefore Gilchrist.
As with ME trilogy, I found the voice actress far better than the actor in delivering a lot of the lines. They've clearly kicked the loot table for clothing without owning to it. The advice to turn off the minimap is good too and, while I'm still not getting the NCPD phonecalls with any regularity for the 'bosses' dens', the game does kind of make more sense if you bounce into gigs and whatever as you move to main mission points. It definitely seems the only way not to crazily overlevel anything but the side content (similar issue I had with TW3). A decent reshade which gets rid of that yellow filter light on character creation also kind of helps with not ending up with a freaky looking V for the end cut scenes.

photomode-31122020-230349.png

All the talk about Deus Ex, plus a fair amount of beer, has finally tempted me into picking up Mankind Divided in the sale. Going to be interesting comparison, even if not exactly like for like.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
edit: ok i am fucking stupid idiot. There is TRADE option also when you do stuff with ripperdocks and they have mods you can buy for your implants.................

Holy fucking shit, I just started to wonder why I never see shops selling implant mods, been playing the entire time with just a few I picked up.

Came here to post about it...

All this time I could have been buying mods.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Holy fucking shit, I just started to wonder why I never see shops selling implant mods, been playing the entire time with just a few I picked up.

Came here to post about it...

All this time I could have been buying mods.

And I also thought I was done playing the game finally...

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

:argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom