Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If it's too much wait until you can tank the skellies.

I'm 29 lvl and want to be like that as long as possible. It's not lvl 1 win, but I'm not a pro and this is almost first time, so the lower it is the better.
20 End and 15 Vit, started as Thief.

Also I don't tank anything, I just roll. And rolling there with RBM pressed is hard.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I would just get the Lord's Vessel first if you haven't as at the very least you can port in and out (i mean you are meant to have it at this point imagine having to climb back through the Catacombs again through those damn wheel skellies).

Rolling builds are tricky because you don't have a lot of room to move around but it's actually possible to dance around the AI without falling to your death but you need practive. Level up pyro if it's just too hard (or don't if you want a challenge). Trick is to try to get behind their asses without aggroing more. The dog skellies will always do that lounging attack so a bit of room to back up is good but don't try to face them directly after that. You need way more endurance to tank them so that's out.

If you can't do the skellies in the pit where the ember is you may have to resort to a suicide loot run. There's six and you usually aggro three as soon as you step into it. In my games i usually just end up taking them out with spells 'cause fuck that lol.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also I don'ttak anything, I just roll. And rolling there with RBM pressed is hard.

I'm not sure i'm reading this right you mean you like to skip enemies?

You can actually shoot straight for the boss pretty easily if you want but that kind of playstyle is not for me. I prefer to dominate the map and scout for secrets thoroughly. I like to savor the levels never been a fan of rushing through content. That means killing everything then roam the level like i own it lmao.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You need way more endurance to tank them so that's out.

Yeah first time that thing - like dog or something quadrupedal - just oneshotted me with it's belly jump.
And that was when I made all the way down there. And then a few times again cause I haven't found bonfire at first lol.

What? I roll, not run away like a chicken. I have lightning halberd+4, why should I run?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well you said you don't "fight" you roll. That was kinda confusing.

Keep an eye that there's two bonfires down there.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

flyingjohn

Arcane
Started playing the first dark souls.
I am wandering,how viable are heavy armor builds for the nastier bosses? Can i just tank/mitigate damage with armor/shield enough to compensate for shit timings/reflexes?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes you can. I'm aware that even SL1 can use shield, but I think shield/armor builds are requiringmore grind for souls.
But maybe not by much.
Anyway, if you feel more comfortable with block - go for it.

Just know that som bosses attack with elements, so you will need shield that block it, and I think no shild block elements or magic completely.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

fork

Well, something can only be heroic when there are also ways to behave cowardly.

I always considered Soul's approach to difficulty and different playstyles to be one of its greatest strengths; you can play through the game at SL1 without taking damage in a couple of hours, or you can grind to SL150, use Havel's and a Greatshield, and take 100 hours. To offer a playstyle like the latter is also a nice way to let newbies get comfortable with a game like Dark Souls without dumbing it down (and using a Greatshield is fun, even in DS3 where shields do indeed suck).

Caim

Arcane
The problem with a tower shield build is that you need to invest quite a bit into vitality and strength to get the most ust out of it. Then you need to up you stamina to be able to use your shield and attack after blocking. Sure, with such a build you can get away with a somewhat lower health than usual and if you pick up a mace as your beatstick you can go far. The regular Mace is probably one of the best weapons in the series, but such a build really hampers your options if you don't want to grind to the max.

Adon

Arcane
Imagine being so unmanly that you can't shrug off any hits

:martini:
Imagine being so unmanly you let your opponents take a sing at you.

It_Smell_Like_Bitch_In_Here_Banner.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom