Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The core gameplay loop of Underrail is perfect, and no changes need to be made to the combat or art imo. Two new weapons, ranged and melee would be nice, and perhaps one more PSI school that's support based like TM, to add to the build variety which is why we all replay the game. In terms of story, I just want Styg to continue expanding upon the world of Underrail, introducing us to new critters, new factions, and new locations. With that of course should come with new encounters that are enhanced by different and new enemy types. I wouldn't mind seeing some faction v faction v faction style combat too, kind of like the Native invasions but perhaps on a smaller scale with more than just two sides.

Oh, and the more gated content the better. Something like what AoD does but on a smaller scale, as it's very rewarding to get to access something secret/hidden/gated away due to your build, and gives you motivation to try other builds.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ideally-
It'd be good to have temporary control of allies in certain combats.
Areas should be larger to reduce screen transitions.
When targeting an AoE attack it should display the % chance of landing in every square, not just the % chance for the targeted one.
Can't think of any other criticisms.

Trashos

Arcane
The core gameplay loop of Underrail is perfect, and no changes need to be made to the combat or art imo.

Since you mention it, here are my criticisms:
- Jet ski combat defense should be expanded upon, as I mentioned earlier.
- More focus on challenging single enemies. Nagas were a step in the right direction.
- I support the psi changes, but we need some catering to lesser psi abilities that are now about worthless. In addition, I understand that Force Field used to be too OP, but in its current state I couldn't figure out any use for it. If I do not know when it ends, it is useless. But maybe someone else has figured some use for it?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
- Jet ski combat defense should be expanded upon, as I mentioned earlier.
- More focus on challenging single enemies. Nagas were a step in the right direction.
- I support the psi changes, but we need some catering to lesser psi abilities that are now about worthless. In addition, I understand that Force Field used to be too OP, but in its current state I couldn't figure out any use for it. If I do not know when it ends, it is useless. But maybe someone else has figured some use for it?
Perfect is the wrong word, should've went with near perfect. But Jet Ski's aside, your second and third complaints are about content. Also, Force Field is still OP, idk what you mean. I have had no problems using it, and though some enemies can break it quick, it still allows me to stall for at least one turn which is very helpful.

Also, does anyone know if you can join the pirates even if you stop the Oldfield kidnapping?

Trashos

Arcane
Force Field is still OP, idk what you mean. I have had no problems using it, and though some enemies can break it quick, it still allows me to stall for at least one turn which is very helpful.

Force Field is OP if the player is the one to move when it ends. Currently, it is up in the air who is going to move when it "ends".

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Just got the Tesla Armor and am very dissapointed, as like an idiot I forgot psychostatic electricity only applies when using Psionics. Armor is very underwhelming now...Should be buffed imho, as it's literally only useful against Coil Spiders. Maybe add more electrical psionics?

Black Angel

Arcane
Good Lord, finally caught up with this thread. Since my workplace relocation, I've been unable to make the most out of my spare time since I had to spend some of my weeknights there because of morning shifts. And because of the old underrail.info site getting deprecated, I unfortunately lost my saved planned builds.

So, here's what I managed to restore from memory and reading the post I caught up:

Sword Saint
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUPC...KZEgbCjhNHQUtOwozCjVzCs8Km4qeWBeKyiAXitIoF378

Pantheon/Spear-n-Shield Spartan (currently in progress, I forgot what it's supposed to look like past level 17 though)
https://underrail.info/build/?Hg8GB...CqsKCwrZ8eOKfhAHis44C4rOiA-K3iQLit4oC4remBd-_

Hawkeye (hit-n-run sniper)
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUGC...UCfjNLwoUZfzkvwrXCpCbipKIF4q-8BOKvvQHisIYF378

Snipe-Hunter (trap sniper)
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUHB...NLQCYnfy8wwrXCpOKijAPio7AC4qOxBeKvvATir70B378

Dumb Hammerer (maxed STR, Balor's Hammer wearing Rathound Regalia while munching on rathound bbq)
https://underrail.info/build/?HhADC...AkKDlQRC1BA2MNYE8ZwoHCtnx44qOTBeKligXiq5AF378

I still had couple of builds I planned that I haven't restored from memory, like a hit-n-run spear girl (inspired by Proxima Midnight), Roland of Gilead, tech-junkie etc etc, but do tear into these Normal-oriented builds, bros, because I'm a scrub who has yet to get the game enough to start playing on Hard.

Black Angel

Arcane
Aight, I just found quick and easy way to restore my old planned builds from the old underrail.info to the new one....by simply copying the parts after "/build/" :dealwithit:

But I have to sleep now because tomorrow is back to work while staying the nights at workplace :negative:

Yaz

Learned

I think these two builds can be married in one. You could take the best of each and even make an Assault Rifle/Sniper hybrid. I think you could easily lower Per a bit for more flexibility with other stats.

Dumb Hammerer (maxed STR, Balor's Hammer wearing Rathound Regalia while munching on rathound bbq)
https://underrail.info/build/?HhADC...AkKDlQRC1BA2MNYE8ZwoHCtnx44qOTBeKligXiq5AF378

There's the new Exoskeletal Armour which gives +2 Str when powered on. With Vitality Powder you could start using the Balor Hammer fairly early(as soon as you hit 13 Str, basically.) You could even look into Stoicism +5/Aegis/Morphine for full damage immunity while swinging away. Probably best used with a TM psion as getting two good turns to swing the hammer might not be enough to clean everything up. I don't know how the movement point of the Exoskeleton is calculated exactly - it's a bit unclear. You could still use the Regalia for smaller fights, though.

Trashos

Arcane
Black Angel, not a big fan of Temporal Manipulation? 70 invested points in it can take you a long way.

I haven't played Sniper in a long time, but that high PE is overkill. I think I used to have it either 12 or 14 on Hard, I do not remember exactly.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay, I farted about a bit with my new character. Works much better in most cases. Thing is, I'm not sure where to go next exactly and how to further improve.
upload_2021-1-1_20-12-59.png

upload_2021-1-1_20-13-9.png

upload_2021-1-1_20-13-20.png

Also got the offer to start the DLC, should I do it at level 11? Seems a bit low.

Trashos

Arcane
Fedora Master, what is your main weapon? For your base stats you are going to need a bit more min-maxing than that. For example, Will 4 is going to offer you nothing, you 'd be better off putting that point somewhere else. Not sure what your plans for Dex and AG are, but they are also candidates.

No, leave the dlc for later. lvl16+, maybe even later. The dlc is great, but it is not easy. Also, do the whole Dude questline before going to the dlc.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Thanks, I don't really like dumping stats, it's a habit of mine but I see why you'd want to in this case. Min-maxing and exploiting the available tools seems to be a core aspect of the game. I haven't picked a go-to weapon yet, just going with what I'm finding. Hence no perks related to melee weapons. Right now I got a sledge hammer that has served me well.

Trashos

Arcane
In other news, in my new playthrough, I am very excited to be using a build based on Sheepherder 's Clicker build:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=6112.0
I have made a lot of changes to it, and, unlike him, I will be using grenades, traps, and possibly laser pistols and 7.62s in specific occasions (we will see). But if it works for me, I may have a new favorite build.

I actually started by designing a normal firearm pistol build, but then it occurred to me that Sheepherder's concept may actually be more fun.

Fedora Master, you obviously have a juggernaut there, and weapons like sledgehammers are based on STR. So that is going to be you main stat. INT is fine (although 7 might be enough) if you want to do crafting. CON is good for tanks. Personally, I 'd put INT 7 (for cafting), AG 6 (for Sprint), STR at 10 and CON at 8 (because that's what remains), and everything else at 3. Then the bonus points go to STR. That would be one simple way to do it.

Note that the weapon specific feats are generally very strong, and the game expects you to use them.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Alright, well I'm abandoning my Sword build as the Tesla Armor I hyped up in my head is basically useless, and I already know the build is viable. I have to say, Swords are definitely inferior to Spears imo, as Spears have far more flexibility and defensive capabilities, especially when paired with some good Riot Armor. Time to to finally try a Crossbow build.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Anyway, a new Expedition. On Oddity I can't afford to skip it for the Black Sea is littered with oddities. First thing to do - as usual - is to cull the savages. Previously, I bumrushed forward with little preparation; no traps, few grenades and default trash jet. Yeah, assaulting those beaches with trash jet is pure masochism; fighting bosses, though at high level, is possible, but with lots of luck. But not now - this time, I went in prepared, to hell with RNG, now it will be deterministic. Bought myself a Torpedo; with custom engine from Waterways facility this thing reaches ridiculous speeds, although it eats through batteries like no tomorrow. Torpedo trades accuracy with maneuverability and I'm fine with that.

Savages had little chances against cutting-edge jet technology and chemical warfare. Thin the herd from the sea; perfect hit and run tactic - all crossbowmen and mages die this way. Ashore, it's the matter of finding the good spot, and there the fun will begin: combo of incendiary and gas grenades deals impressive amounts of damage and works as perfect crowd control while I shoot anyone who comes close. If I can lay down traps it goes along even better. Magnar, Oyensorm and Baenkraster went down at the first try, and it's so pleasant to succeed without reloads. Hammerer started to really shine, 400-500 crits are regular, and with bonus debuffs damage can go over the top - so far, the personal record with Hammerer was 1999 dmg per lucky crit. I start to really dig gas grenades now, for I rarely used them before. Little work for knife, though - savage villages are too cramped so no sneaky shanking, and in regular combat I want to stay as far as possible from the brutes.

Knife got it's hour when I went to Horticultural center. With Heartbreaker Leather armor you can tank a lot against the locusts, and knife is really useful here: it allows for fighting Hives one by one, without alerting the entire map; due to low AP cost it's possible to kill three-four locusts per turn. Destroying the Hives themselves is a literal clickfest, but it's fine. I take my words back, this way I didn't even cursed whoever came up with the idea of Hives - for sport, I destroyed all of them on the surface and couple underground.

Seprents, though, can go and fuck themselves - they have so much MP that they are able to keep up with my tuned Torpedo, this makes naval combat against them completely impossible. From land, with breaking LoS it's easy, from jet - nope. I just avoid them, thankfully, it's possible.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Btw, there are some really good Underrail themed portraits that look gorgeous and fit the theme of the game perfectly. I can shoot you the link the download if you like.
Speakin' a which, I made a set of portraits for my own use awhile ago and always felt a tinge of shame for not putting them up for others to use. Here's to a new year of UnderRail.
l09OgGI.png
ZRbQLBW.png
RxCrI93.png
gqH2FUF.png
K4HzwkW.png
NXdS5iI.png

Trashos

Arcane
a new Expedition. On Oddity I can't afford to skip it for the Black Sea is littered with oddities.

I cannot understand why you guys do not like it. I cannot wait to get back there (well, in fact I will wait until I am at an appropriate level, but you get the point).

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Anyway, a new Expedition. On Oddity I can't afford to skip it for the Black Sea is littered with oddities. First thing to do - as usual - is to cull the savages.
Do people know which maps exactly are and aren't necessary to clear for this? I killed only the outlying main coastal ones, no bosses and not the island either. yahota now says 'less activity than before the first attack'

Last edited:

grumf

Novice
Do people know which maps exactly are and aren't necessary to clear for this?

Underrail wiki has a map of the blacksea with natives/pirates tiles marked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom