Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Your Most Hated Gameplay Elements? (poll)

Your Most Hated Gameplay Elements?

• Total voters

PapaPetro

this poll has a huge amount of options, and I feel like together most of them are quite good in showing the weak points in crpgs. Well if I had to pick one in particular it´s "Bland itemization where it is just a few numbers changing" - this killed the immersion in pool of radiance remake for me, cause all the + 5 swords and weapons and everything looked the same, even in your inventory. I wished that they at least would have made some + weapons in a different, or blinking color, or whatever. Well, like I said it killed the immersion, I just couldn´t go on with that game. :|
They half attempted this in the Infinity Engine games by naming some the magic weapons/items to mask the cold numeric odor, giving them lore and backstory: Ring of Protection +1 becomes a majestic Ring of the Princes.
To do the half, you'd need to convey the power of the item without use of explicit numerical/mechanical information to the player.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I didn't notice "player forced to lose in cutscene" the first time, and MAN is that a good one to pick. Nothing I hate more than that shit, and almost every game does it. Your unstoppable badass is always captured and only gets away because of dumb luck and it's supposed to make us feel cool and excited? I don't get it. Movies always do this too, and most games nowadays want to be movies sadly.

Chaos Theory remains amazing for making you THINK this happens, but you can actually avoid it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
45 out of a total of 83 options that I disliked from W3. There was also several other options W3 had on the list that I didn't tick. My current bugbear with the game are glitches that make Geralt walk to the right permanently, and jump repeatedly.

I'm also making the mistake of grinding Aerondight to full power, and the game only allows Aard>finisher on knocked out enemies half of the time. So the 'finish off' option doesn't appear.

Just thinking about how shit the combat is in this game compared to Batman:Arkahm Asylum > LOTR:Shadow of War > Assasins Creed 2 is painful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Checked all the time-wasting shit like unskippable cutscenes, no option to speed up animations in turn based, only one walking speed, slow animations in the interface, animations for resource harvesting, etc.

Also checked most of the restrictive funneling design elements like locking the previous area forever once you progressed to a new one (not aware of any RPGs other than Shadowrun Returns doing it, and of course the shitty Thi4f but that's not an RPG), invisible walls, forced losing to enemies in cutscenes, etc.

And of course the peak popamole features like mandatory quest compass due to no quest location descriptions, whatever-vision that's basically a wallhack, level scaling, QTE, etc.

And boring gameplay like mandatory grind, long boring dungeons with low challenge but they take forever, and lazy filler trash encounters.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Modern looting, where you just vacuum everything up without looking at the loot because it's so fucking boring.
Right, because old school RPGs never did this
iseewhatyoudid.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Half the options are only relevant to JRPG so, who cares?
Iif you play them, just suffer in silence...

Almost everything else.
I don't mind smart scaling, like area scaling withing a specific range, if you know what i mean...

Losing companions for story purpose was done masterfully at least once too...

Bosses can die as often as they want if there is a good reason for it, i don't mind, as long as they're not retarded.

Forgot to check quest timers but i'm not doing it all over again (yes, fuck you and your autism!)

Auto replenish hp/mana is a viable option, depending on the system, way better than spamming rest, Wizardry and M&M are good examples that made it work.

Voiced protagonists, dude, have you played Wizardry 8? Not sure many games did it right though...

curds

Magister
Dialogue options are different from what your character says.

Annoying and literally pointless as far as I can tell.

Dialogue options are different from what your character says.

Annoying and literally pointless as far as I can tell.

This has to be the most bizarre thing to come about in the last 13 or 14 years or whatever it's been. It's totally pointless, it needlessly can fuck you up, and there's zero reason to have ever started such a stupid practice. I'm sure some people might say it's the fault of the dialogue wheel, but it is not.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
This has to be the most bizarre thing to come about in the last 13 or 14 years or whatever it's been. It's totally pointless, it needlessly can fuck you up, and there's there's zero reason to have ever started such a stupid practice. I'm sure some people might say it's the fault of the dialogue wheel, but it is not.
Pretty sure CDPR started it with Witcher 2. I was reminded of it this morning when I tried Cyberpunk for the first time.

I'd add Badly Implemented Fast Travel. Take something like Bethesda's games. In those you have no reason not to use fast travel, not only does it get you where you're going faster, you can game the system since it's a safer way to travel because there's no random encounters. There's no reason not to use it unless you're just wanting to larp some long boring walk with garbage enemy encounters.

I feel like people that bitch about fast travel being bad for immersion have probably never been fully immersed into a video game, with their idea of immersion just being like some useless marketing buzzword. Traveling the world map in games like NEO Scavenger and The Oregon Trail can be more interesting and immersive than just pushing forward in a lot of these open world games where the novelty can wear thin quick. Although I do think there's room for both, and find it a little weird there aren't more games that combine the two; you could definitely give the impression of vastly bigger game worlds that way.

This has to be the most bizarre thing to come about in the last 13 or 14 years or whatever it's been. It's totally pointless, it needlessly can fuck you up, and there's there's zero reason to have ever started such a stupid practice. I'm sure some people might say it's the fault of the dialogue wheel, but it is not.
Pretty sure CDPR started it with Witcher 2. I was reminded of it this morning when I tried Cyberpunk for the first time.

I remember it driving me crazy in Mass Effect.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Heh, stronk gamers like mondblut and V_K voted "Spinners". How can you not like spinners?
Ah! Do ya'll know all those combined old mechanics:

1. Spinners
2. Pushers
3. Teleporters
4. Anti-magic
5. Darkness
6. Mana/hp drainers

1. secret doors
2. Illusionary walls
3. One way doors
4. One way walls
5. Revolving corridors

1. Pressure plates
2. Teleporter puzzles
3. Spell puzzles
4. Timer puzzles / death snares

etc etc. good times good times. Do all those work with modern games? Have they been implemented. Grid based blobbers excel at this it seems.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm oregon trails i remember: or this but not this

This is what happens when doom marine goes back in time
5IgRj6E.jpg

B3E1TJj.jpg

oregontrail.jpg

i2rsejO.jpg

nm34vLc.jpg
I swear there was a version where you saw the buffalo and typed the line you thought it was on. A huge ball went right to left and if you chose right it was shot.
It was made of these PETSCI assets
AAviOHd.jpg

this isn't it
1*k1IHy01OgFrsszY86k0Txw.png

side from the mostly text version, there was Mac DOS and Windows version across the board... plenty of color pictures and game play each having some good parts.
Oregan Trail

• The Oregon Trail (1971)
  • The Oregon Trail (1985)
  • Oregon Trail II
  • The Oregon Trail 3rd Edition
  • The Oregon Trail 4th Edition
  • The Oregon Trail 5th Edition
  • The Oregon Trail (2009)
  • The Oregon Trail:American_Settler
  • The Oregon Trail (2011)
The Amazon Trail

• The Amazon Trail
  • Amazon Trail II
  • Amazon Trail 3rd Edition
Other titles

• The Yukon Trail
  • MayaQuest: The Mystery Trail
  • Africa Trail
Wow, what a series!

Black and white for night, color for day? or maybe color for notable things that are happening. Just different ideas bouncing about

bah... On the Trail of the Oregon Trail

damn.. wth?!? i don't recall these mods
zWIFGOp.jpg

0lpw19G.jpg

4az9MjZ.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom