Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Takamori

Learned
Not many games I think?

The Surge 2
Wasteland 3
Atom RPG
Battle Brothers (I didnt finish since I keep getting my ass pounded hard)
Borderlands 3
Disco Elysium
Doom Eternal
For the King ( good time spent with friends)
Heroes of Hammerwatch
Helltaker
Monster Hunter World if count Fatalis death as the end
Nioh 1

Overall good games except memelands 3 didn't knew what fucking drugs I used that day to give shekels to fucking Randy.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Weird, seems I had time to play a lot more games this year. Some ratings and comments off the top of my head.

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - :5/5: - I just can't get enough of Trails. So hyped up for the finale. Also perfect timing this year for the release, was a blast to go through this when the lockdown was on.
  • Ys: Memories of Celceta - :3/5: - An improvement over SEVEN I think, but the party based gameplay was still quite droll. Getting the last few % of the map turned out a nightmare since revealing the map was a bit janky.
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - :4/5: - A major improvement in the end over SEVEN and Celceta, although initially I was very pessimistic about this one. They've really refined the party based formula here and the supporting gameplay and story was good stuff. Easily the best of the party based ones, let's see where Monstrum Nox goes.
  • Zwei: The Arges Adventure - :2/5: - Such charming visuals. Really well preserved hand drawn 2D stuff. Good music as you'd expect from Falcom. Shame the gameplay was so simple and dull. Deffo one of the weaker Falcom offerings so far. I'm currently still playing The Ilvard Insurrection and that's a lot better on the gameplay side. I guess I could've finished it yesterday, but still having fun doing optional stuff. Edit: Welp, and I just finished it today.
  • Geneforge 2 - :4/5: - Had an itch to continue playing through these last spring and this was more of the good stuff in the same vein as the first Geneforge, so had a lot of fun with this one.
  • Geneforge 3 - :2/5: - It wasn't completely terrible and I had some fun playing through, but such a letdown after 1 and 2. Oh Jeff, why would you remove most of the impressive aspects of the series for this island hopping linear bullshit.
  • Legend of Grimrock 2 - :5/5: - Haven't had this much fun with a RT blobber I think.
  • Might & Magic VII - :5/5: - Played the Dark path. I think I still like VI better, but this was just awesome as well.
  • Wizardry 8 - :5/5: - I mean it has it's shortcomings, but there's just so much good there that you can easily look past those.
  • Kult: Heretic Kingdoms - :2/5: - The world was interesting, but the game otherwise was pretty bland. I was intending to play through this and go to the sequel, but had to drop that one since it was pretty horrible. I remember playing the sequel initially when it came out and thinking it wasn't that bad, but they've completely fucked the UI up with console shit in the full release. Why bother.
  • Tales of Berseria - :3/5: - This one wasn't too bad as far as Tales stuff goes, but still way too much of predictable anime shit.
  • Sudeki - :1/5: - Weeaboo JRPG. I had this for the original Xbawks and never finished it. Now I did, probably should've spent that time better.
  • Dishonored & DLC - :4/5:
  • Kathy Rain - :3/5:
  • Whispers of a Machine - :3/5:
  • The Night of the Rabbit - :2/5: - I'm just not sure what was the point of the story. I liked the fairy tale like atmosphere otherwise, but it wasn't really anything like that in the end. The gameplay was ok I guess, some puzzles were a bit nonsensical. Meh.
  • Tsioque - :1/5: - What a pretty game, shame there wasn't much gameplay to it.
  • Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - :3/5: - Pretty good FFT-like with some unfortunate design choices (braindead level scaling and murder water mainly).
  • Legrand Legacy - :2/5: - Low budget JRPG from Indonesia I think? The combat was actually pretty good for some parts of the game. The writing was hilariously bad, felt like it was written by a teenager.
  • StarCrawlers - :2/5: - Some fun with party building, but not much else.
  • Dead State - :1/5: - Fun ideas, dogshit execution. Fuck this game for wasting my time, should've just checked a let's play.
  • Ghost of a Tale - :4/5: - This one was just pure :love:. Definitely had it's shortcomings, mainly the gameplay aspect took a real nosedive once the exploration aspect was done. But the start of the game was super strong and fun to play through. Fingers crossed for a sequel.
  • Crying Suns - :2/5: - Random events that have consistent outcomes. After a few hours the gameplay got super repetitive. Nice art though.
  • Children of Morta - :3/5: - This was a pleasant surprise. I usually don't like these roguelike grinds, but got through this one pretty easily. Most of the characters were interesting and fun to play with different gameplay. Except the hammer guy.
  • Evoland 1 - :1/5: - From the Legendary edition. A bit of fun for a few hours, but ultimately very shallow and nothing to write home about. Had to drop 2, since that was just too much of a chore to play.
  • Warstone TD - :1/5: - Dunno what constitutes as completing these in the end, but I played through the "main" missions. Had a TD itch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Replays:
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 Project Scholar mod
Dark Souls 3
Diablo 2
Fallout New Vegas
Mount and Blade Warband
Knights of the old republic 2
Grim Dawn
VtMB
Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2
Dragon's Dogma
Quake

First time:
Ion Fury
Project Warlock
CP2077
Salt and Sanctuary
Vigil: the longest night
Hades
Wasteland 3
Chronicon
A Hat in Time
Hellpoint
Outer Wilds
Terraria
Beautiful Desolation
Wolcen
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Alliance Alive
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Paratopic
Undead Horde
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Monster Train
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Shin Megami Tensei Final

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
  1. Dear Esther [PC] January 2 – 1h :5/5::0/5:
  2. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun [PC] Jaanuary 3 – 27h :5/5::2/5:
  3. 鸿源战纪 - Tales of Hongyuan [PC] January 3 – 17h :5/5::2/5:
  4. SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions [PS4] February 4 – 25h :5/5::5/5:
  5. Titanfall 2 [PS4] February 8 – 11h :5/5::4/5:
  6. Geneforge 1 [PC] February 8 – 49h :5/5::3/5:
  7. Cat Quest [PC] February 9 – 7h :5/5::1/5:
  8. X-Com: Apocalypse [PC] February 11 – 42h :5/5::3/5:
  9. Nier: Automata [PS4] March 7 – 49h :5/5::4/5:
  10. Geneforge 2 [PC] March 22 – 56h :5/5::4/5:
  11. Arrog [PC] March 22 – 0.5h :4/5::0/5:
  12. Cut & Run [PC] March 22 – 1h :5/5::0/5:
  13. Ethereal [PC] March 23 – 3h :5/5::2/5:
  14. Silence [PC] March 27 – 5h :3/5::0/5:
  15. Arc the Lad 2 (PS1 via PS3) April 6 – 87h :5/5::3/5:
  16. Minit (PC) April 6 - 2h :5/5::2/5:
  17. Deponia [PC] April 7 – 5h :5/5::2/5:
  18. Drakengard 3 [PS3 Emulator] April 10 – 34h :5/5::2/5:
  19. Broken Sword 2 [PC] April 12 – 6.5h :5/5::3/5:
  20. Syberia [PC] May 2 – 6.5h :5/5::3/5:
  21. Degrees of Separation [PC] May 13 – 6h :5/5::2/5:
  22. Bravely Second: End Layer [3DS] May 21 – 65h :5/5::3/5:
  23. Tesla Effect [PC] May 27 – 11h :5/5::2/5:
  24. Tales of Symphonia [PS3] June 12 – 81h :5/5::2/5:
  25. Football Manager 2020 [PC] July 10 - 156h :5/5::4/5:
  26. Before I Forget [PC] August 3 – 1h :3/5::0/5:
  27. Paratopic [PC] August 3 - 0.5h :5/5::2/5:
  28. Keyboard Sports [PC] August 3 – 0.5h :5/5::0/5:
  29. Rainy Season [PC] August 3 – 0.5h :3/5::0/5:
  30. Roman Sands [PC] August 5 – 4h :5/5::2/5:
  31. Eye of the Beholder [PC] August 15 - 9h :5/5::2/5:
  32. Eye of the Beholder 2 [PC] August 27- 12h :5/5::3/5:
  33. Geneforge 3 [PC] September 3 - 41h :5/5::1/5:
  34. Eye of the Beholder 3 [PC] September 4 - 14h :5/5::0/5:
  35. PSYCHO-PASS: Mandatory Happiness [PSV] September 9 – 18h :5/5::2/5:
  36. System Shock [PC] September 12 – 12h :5/5::3/5:
  37. Pocky And Rocky [SNES] September 13 – 1h :5/5::3/5:
  38. Pocky And Rocky 2 [SNES] September 14 – 2h :5/5::2/5:
  39. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja [SNES] September 14 - 2h :5/5::3/5:
  40. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2 [SNES] September 14 – 3h :5/5::2/5:
  41. Monument Valley 2 [Android] September 16 – 1.5h :5/5::1/5:
  42. Deus Ex GO [Android] October 4 - 5h :5/5::1/5:
  43. Suikoden II [PS1] October 8 - 53h :5/5::4/5:
  44. Geneforge 4 [PC] October 13 – 40h :5/5::1/5:
  45. Streets of Kamurocho [PC] October 17 – 0.5h
  46. Gunmetal Arcadia Zero [PC] October 23 – 2h :3/5::0/5:
  47. Booth [PC] October 25 – 8h :5/5::0/5:
  48. Haunt the House: Terrortown [PC] November 1 – 3.5h :5/5::0/5:
  49. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair [PSV] November 13 - 38h :5/5::3/5:
  50. Slime Rancher [PC] December 2 – 37h :5/5::3/5:
  51. Underrail [PC] December 13 - 102h :5/5::5/5:
  52. Tearaway Unfolded [PS4] December 18 - 9h :5/5::2/5:
  53. Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines [PSV] December 28 – 52h :5/5::3/5:
  54. Ho Tu Lo Shu: The Books of Dragon [PC] December 17 – 50h :5/5::5/5:
I currently have active save files for Yakuza 5, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Dragon Quest XI, The Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky Second Chapter, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Mario x Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Mercenaries Saga 2, Romancing SaGa 3, Unlimited Saga, Cyberpunk 2077, Tales of Xillia 2, Wasteland 3, Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, World End Economica and probably a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head. I didn't beat any major 2020 title.

My PSV library is all completed, so the only portable I have left with unfinished games is the Nintendo 3DS. I hope to complete at least 3 of those this year.

Taim

Educated
  • Dark Souls: Remastered
    • After years of getting halfway through and stopping - finally finished this one up. Very deserving of all the praise it gets.
    • Used the momentum to play through:
  • Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
    • Honestly don't know why this game gets so much shit. I can see that there was a bit of a shift from quality to quantity in terms of level design (still pretty good) and boss fights (valid argument), but it was still excellent and I liked the slower movement in general.
    • The game took me about 35 hours longer to beat than it's predecessor.
    • DLC's were great.
  • Zero Escape: Time Dilemma
    • Normally not a fan of anime visual novels but I really enjoyed this series and I had finished the first two years ago.
    • Visually this one aged the worst, but I enjoyed the story and thought it did a decent enough job wrapping everything up.
    • Probably enjoyed it more than Virtue's Last Reward but 999 still reigns supreme.
  • Thief: The Dark Project - replayed
  • Thief II: The Metal Age - replayed
  • The Dark Mod
    • It's criminal how little people are aware of this - it's also unfortunate how many people played it 10 years ago - said it didn't feel like Thief, and moved on. They've continually been updating the engine and some of the maps are fucking excellent. Think I played over 50 maps this year. I find it hard to go back to Thief FM's now.
    • 10/10 FMs: Volta 2: Cauldron of the Gods, Snowed Inn
    • 9/10 FMs: Now and Then, No Honor Among Thieves, The Ravine, Full Moon Fever, Chronicles of Skulduggery 1 & 2, Requiem, William Steele 1
    • This is probably where most of my time was spent (200+ hours)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
    • made a few minor tweaks to the game to clean up the questionable gunplay, make healing take time, and clean up the UI. Also used the unofficial patch (Sky Reclamation Project)
    • Weakest game of the 3 but still excellent after some gameplay tweaks.

newtmonkey

Arcane
CRPGs
AD&D: Pool of Radiance
(PC)
:5/5:
- A masterpiece that has aged perfectly (even having to re-memorize spells is not bad at such low character levels), one of the top 5 RPGs I've ever completed.

Might & Magic: Book One
(PC)
- A masterpiece right up there with the best classic Wizardry games. A truly massive game with tons of stuff to find, satisfying combat, and great dungeons. It somehow makes a bunch of 16x16 grid maps feel like an actual world. In my top 5 RPGs of all time.

Swords & Sorcery Underworld: Definitive Edition (PC)
:4/5:
- I was really impressed with this one! It's like a linear Might & Magic with some interesting tweaks to combat.

The Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate (PC [remake])
:3/5:
The best dungeon design of the series. The final battle was quite challenging and it felt great to come up with a strategy to complete it (that did not involve just grinding levels or whatever).

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut (PC)
- A surprisingly large improvement over the first version of the game, which I had completed last year. The DC offers better loot distribution throughout the game, which was one of my major complaints with the original release.

Legends of Amberland (PC)
- Fun casual Might & Magic III clone, but the dull dungeons drag it down a bit.

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
(PC)
- Decent. It's fun to explore the (very small) world, and the combat together with the resource management aspects (during the first few hours) works very well. Unfortunately, it's much smaller and less complex than it initially seems.

The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
(PC [remake])
:2/5:
- Not bad, but the combat and dungeons are even more annoying than in the first game and much of the game's difficulty comes from mapping challenges. I like a good mapping challenge, but the game often seemed more like a puzzle game than an RPG.

JRPGs
Dragon Warrior II (NES)

- Probably the best JRPG I've ever played. Lots of exploration and a focus on gathering information makes it feel like Ultima-light.

Ultima: Quest of the Avatar (NES)
- It was fun to compare this with the PC version. It's streamlined but maintains the core of Ultima IV (i.e. it is still a nonlinear RPG focused on collecting information and gathering items to basically perform a ritual). I enjoyed it, though combat became a major drag during the second half of the game.

Estpolis Denki (SFC)

- Not bad, but still quite a slog with brain-dead combat.

Breath of Fire
(SFC)

- Started out neat but ended up being a horrible slog with brain-dead combat.

Non-RPGs
Contra (NES)

- First time I've completed this without using the code for 30 lives. One of the greatest action games ever made.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX)

- I've finished this before, but did a "challenge" run where I forced myself only to use daggers and similar weapons. Fun as always. Let down a bit by being too easy, and the repetitive/boring second castle.

Illusion of Gaia (SNES)

- Awesome action game with puzzles and (very) light RPG elements. Surprisingly touching story. Let down slightly by a repetitive structure and no exploration at all.

Last Alert (TG16)
- Fun little run and gun with pleasant graphics, a great CD soundtrack, and the best worst voice acting of all time. Way too easy.

Soul Blazer
(SNES)
- As the "prequel" to Illusion of Gaia, it features much of what made that game compelling, including its strangely touching story. Too simple and repetitive for more than three trolls though.

AD&D: Hillsfar (PC)

- A fun diversion between PoR and CotAB that took only a few hours to complete. Suffers from several of the minigames being boring and/or easy.

Super Mario Land (GB)
- I had 20 minutes to kill one Saturday, so I finished this on my first attempt. Fun but janky.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I might be forgetting a few, but off the top:

Return of the Obra Dinn :5/5:
The best detective game I've ever played. Looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, written beautifully, plays beautifully. Magnificent.

Silent Hill :5/5:
Replay, and it was every bit as good as it always is. Special mention goes to the soundtrack and sound design in general. I wouldn't listen to it by itself, but it might be the most fitting soundtrack to any game.

UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO defense :5/5:
One of the best, not much else to say.

Silent Hill 4 :4/5:
Quality entry in the series. I'd rank it on par with 3, but lower than the first two. Still hits a great balance between story, combat, puzzles and horror, but map repeats drag it down, and from what I've read, the good ending sounds like it's much more annoying to get than in the previous games. I just watched it on Youtube. :smug:

Silent Storm :4/5:
I didn't actually finish this one, but I've finished it before, and I got most of the way though. Four stars might be too generous. There's a window, from the start of the game until roughly halfway through, where it's the best squad tictacs game ever made. Eventually the Panzerkleins come into play and put a stop to the fun, but even before that, the skill system drags it steadily down. Long story short: in the vanilla game, the progression is utterly broken, and if you use the so-called skill overhaul mod, like I did this time though, it's also broken but in a different way. The SS engine never got the game it deserved.

Seven: The Days Long Gone :4/5:
The most fun I've had with awesome-button silent takedowns, superpowered stealth action, quest markers, detective vision, minimaps, and collectathon areas since forever. If you feel like playing a game of this type but don't know which one to choose, make it this one.

West of Loathing :3/5: + 1/2
Short but sweet comedy RPG with strong adventure game elements. The JRPG-style combat is actually not bad for what is on the face of it a parody game, and there's quite a few locations and questlines you can only find by paying attention. Terrific music, as well.

Thaumistry: In Charm's Way :3/5:

Neat text adventure by Bob Bates. Puzzle difficulty is just right, and you can mess around with the parser a whole bunch. Fairly short and unambitious, but a fun game. Would serve as a good introduction to the genre.

Trinity :3/5: +1/2
The polar opposite of Thaumistry, in that it's a very ambitious game with some spectacular highs, but also a lot of bullshit. The writing is excellent, and the final area is a masterful adventure game sequence, but a lot of the puzzles are extremely aggravating. Imagine a puzzle that relies on a timer, where you only have a few moves to solve it, and you don't know which items you need to in order to solve it, or if it's even solvable without solving something else first, and you don't know which items you need to be carrying in your limited inventory, and where failing to get it right results in a walking dead scenario. A lot of the puzzles are like that. To those design conventions I say good riddance. The good bits make up for it, however.

Broken Lines :3/5:
Cool phase-based tictacs, but too light on strategy and resource management, and too gamey in a nuXCOM sort of way. A very tight and solid experience nonetheless, and I actually liked it better than Frozen Synapse, which I tried afterwards and found a bit too puzzle-like for my taste.

Outlaws :3/5: +1/2
Played most of the way through in the spring, dropped it, and picked it up again a few months ago. Relies exclusively on hitscan, which makes it extremely unpredictable. I still couldn't tell you how to play this effectively, because there's no rhyme or reason to enemy accuracy. Sometimes they'll kill you in a split second, other times they won't fire a shot. Very good cutscenes, music, and general fluff, however, and the level design and weapon selection are not bad.

Quake :3/5:
Quality shooter, but not quite as good as its reputation IMO. Levels were good overall, but I don't feel that any of them stood out very much. Too many fat dudes with chainsaws and grenade launchers. Visually, I've often seen it described as gothic, but there's another word I'd use ahead of that, which is beige. The most fun I had was hunting for secret areas, which are very good overall, although some of them are complete bullshit and can only be found through sheer luck (or walking around the map hitting every inch of wall there is). I also enjoyed the secret levels.

Voidspire Tactics :2/5:
A moderate disappointment after what I'd heard about it. Cool exploration motivated by environmental interaction (freezing water to walk across it, etc.), but there's not enough of it. The combat was alright, but hamstrung by the skill system, which in my experience encouraged direct damage and direct damage only, with more exciting stuff like status effects completely neutered either by exorbitant casting times or by Sawyerization (blindness giving -10% to hit, that sort of thing).

Some stuff that I dropped within a couple of hours:
- Tales of Maj'Eral. I don't get roguelikes.
- Faster Than Light. No particular reason for dropping this, I actually had fun playing it. I just lost interest.
- Legends of Amberland. Baby's first blobber. Simplistic combat and simplistic dungeons connected by a simplistic overworld. Meh.
- Mysteries of the Sith. Started it last year, dropped it, tried to pick it up again this year, still haven't finished it. Massive decline coming from Jedi Knight. The consensus seems to be that it's worse than JK but still good, but I don't think so.
- Hammer & Sickle. Too Russian.
- KotC 2. Even though it's French and produced in the UK, this is also much too Russian.
- Wizards & Warriors. The combat is pretty bad, and the forest mazes are obnoxious as hell, but even so, I feel that I should enjoy this game. I've tried to get into it several times several times, but it just doesn't work.
- Bard's Tale 4. This barely even qualifies for this list, since I don't think I got more than about an hour into it. Everything about this game is extremely off-putting.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Puzzle Dimension :5/5::1/5:
Grim Dawn :5/5::3/5:
STALKER: Clear Sky
(with ZRP) :5/5::2/5:
STALKER: SoC :5/5::5/5:
Das Geisterschiff :5/5::3/5:
Super Meat Boy :5/5::5/5:
ELEX
yes.png

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet :5/5::0/5:
Quest for Glory 1: All classes :5/5::2/5:
Lone Survivor: DC :4/5::0/5:
STALKER: Call of Pripyat :5/5::3/5:
Deadly Rooms of Death: King Dugan's Dungeon :5/5::5/5:
Deadly Rooms of Death: The Choice:5/5::1/5:
Tobe's Vertical Adventure :1/5::0/5:
Timeshift :4/5::0/5:
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers :3/5::0/5:
HoMM II + Price of Loyalty:5/5::3/5:
Unstoppable Gorg :5/5::1/5:
Rush :5/5::0/5:
Eye of the Beholder 1 :5/5::2/5:
Eye of the Beholder 2 :5/5::3/5:
Eye of the Beholder 3 :5/5::0/5:
HoMM III: SoD :5/5::3/5:
Beneath a Steel Sky :5/5::2/5:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seeing the title, I was initially a bit depressed thinking "I didn't complete any games this year". But sifting through the memory banks revealed this to be a total lie. I think what my brain meant was "I didn't complete any cRPG's this year".

Games I completed for the first time:

• Pokemon Black - It's nice that the game only uses original Pokemon (until the post-ending content), but less so that several of them are ugly as fuck. I liked what they did with the story in the end.

• Pokemon Black 2 - Yet another Pokemon game.

• Pokemon X - Yet another Pokemon game, now with more cutscenes than ever. Great music. Story so lame even Pokemon players(!) and game journalists(!!!) hated it.

• Pokemon Omega Ruby - A fun remake of Ruby with improved/updated battle systems, QoL changes and some dumbed down design (like giving the player a mythical Pokemon for free halfway into the game).

• Dark Forces - It's dated (very clunky vertical aiming) and has some questionable level design, but I had a blast. I love the simplicity of it, how fast you are and how satisfying mowing down enemies is.

• Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - An awful expansion with only a single good level (the Arabic-looking castle). Bad level design and just badly designed in general.

• Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - I loved it. Essentially more of the same of Dishonored 2, a great game.

• Breath of the Wild - First Zelda game I ever completed, and I loved it. Open, encourages the player to experiment, and gameplay trumps everything else. Sidequests sucked ass though and the countless mini-dungeons should have been combined into fewer but lengthier ones. The huge world could also have been cut down to 1/3 of its size to make enemy camps and their rewards less generic and copy-pasted.

• A Link To The Past - A fun adventure game, with some nonsense design that forced me to look up a guide (that fucking mandatory fast-travel bird). Amazing music, and it's a crime that the first dungeon theme wasn't used more.

• Link's Awakening - Essentially a simpler, scaled-down version of the above game, I actually like this game more. A great adventure game.

• Ocarina of Time - Great music, fun story. The gameplay I found clunky, but I liked the time travel mechanic (and it could have been utilized even more, I think).

Games I replayed:

• Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight - Still holds up.

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
Probably forgetting some.

Lands of Lore 2 - :4/5: - Not much in terms of RPG, played it because I remembered it had difficult puzzles. I remembered correctly. For me, that was sufficient.

Black Mesa - :2/5: - This finally got completed and I never played the original so gave it a go. Was pretty disappointed. Gameplay aka shooting just didn't feel very satisfying.

Yoku's Island Express - :3/5: - A chill metroidvania with a pinball twist.

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure - :2/5: - Looks nice but is extremely easy, to the point of not being very satisfying.

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair - :4/5: - A pretty good side scroller.

Desperados 3 - :5/5: - My personal GOTY. Delivers on pretty much everything it sets to do.

Blasphemous - :3/5: - A decent metroidvania.

Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 - :3/5: - Loved the first Curse of the Moon, and this is mostly more of the same, though it seems a bit easier.

Helltaker - :3/5: - Freeware deamon waifu puzzler.

Undermine - :3/5: - A decent roguelite with nice pixel graphics.

Horizon Zero Dawn - :1/5: - Crap writing, crap combat, crap port.

Hades - :4/5: - It's a well polished roguelite, but not really as special as the media hypes it to be.

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Dry Twice - :4/5: - A pretty good sequel with good structure and some good puzzles.

Touhou Luna Nights - :3/5: - A decent metroidvania. On the short side.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - :2/5: - Horse riding simulator with nice graphics, doesn't have much more going for it.

Edna & Harvey The Breakout - :3/5: - Old school adventure with decent puzzles.

Star Wars Squadrons - :4/5: - I hate myself for buying an EA game, but I actually liked this. Only did singleplayer - not a lot of missions but the ones in there are pretty varied, plus you can extend gameplay by playing on higher difficulties which usually requires a couple of retries. It's not Tie Fighter, but if you approach it without expecting it to be that, it can still be fun. The writing is absolute garbage though.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Some of us actually, may Y*hweh forgive me for uttering such words, play video games. NEET with around 80 to 100+ hours a week of game time constantly.

You realise a week consists of 168 hours, right? Assuming you spend the typical 8 hours sleeping per day, that removes 1/3 of that, so you are down to 112 hours per week. And you play 100+ hours per week constantly all year?

And then, if i tell you that you are a total no-lifer living in your mom's basement, and you don't even take time to wash yourself or go out to buy groceries, you will be saying i am evil... By the way, don't lie that you are ever having sex, if you spend that time playing video games all year long, there is no time to even meet a girl to have sex with. I am not sure you can find enough time to masturbate either, not that you are ever gonna be in the mood with all that attention at a monitor all day.

So if you actually played this much time all year, you actually need to visit a psychiatrist, right now.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
You realise a week consists of 168 hours, right? Assuming you spend the typical 8 hours sleeping per day, that removes 1/3 of that, so you are down to 112 hours per week. And you play 100+ hours per week constantly all year?

And then, if i tell you that you are a total no-lifer living in your mom's basement, and you don't even take time to wash yourself or go out to buy groceries, you will be saying i am evil... By the way, don't lie that you are ever having sex, if you spend that time playing video games all year long, there is no time to even meet a girl to have sex with. I am not sure you can find enough time to masturbate either, not that you are ever gonna be in the mood with all that attention at a monitor all day.

So if you actually played this much time all year, you actually need to visit a psychiatrist, right now.
Are you telling me that you don't furiously and aggressively jerk off while playing your favorite video games?

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Listing only first time playthroughs:

Resident Evil
Metroid Prime
Blood
Marathon
Halo
Xcom: Long War
Half Life 2
Duke Nukem 3d
Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus
Nier Automata
Assasin's Creed: Odyssey
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Fallout 1
A Legionary's Life
Quake 2

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Resident Evil
Metroid Prime
Blood
Marathon
Halo
Half Life 2
Duke Nukem 3d
Nier Automata
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Fallout 1
A Legionary's Life
Quake 2

What did you think of Fallout?

It's a treat to find someone who has just played it for the first time.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik

Resident Evil
Metroid Prime
Blood
Marathon
Halo
Half Life 2
Duke Nukem 3d
Nier Automata
Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Fallout 1
A Legionary's Life
Quake 2

What did you think of Fallout?

It's a treat to find someone who has just played it for the first time.
really liked it, especially melting super mutants with plasma rifle, loved the death animations, picking bloody mess for my character was a wise choice

Matticus

Educated
Played and completed Resident Evil HD over the break. Almost quit (again) after I ran out of ink ribbons and died after 30 minutes without saving. I had tried a long time ago but was overwhelmed by red zombies and quit, cursing the game and its terrible infernal mechanics. Turned off the door animations with a mod and it was much more pleasant to replay that section. Great game.

SumDrunkGuy

• Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
    • Honestly don't know why this game gets so much shit. I can see that there was a bit of a shift from quality to quantity in terms of level design (still pretty good) and boss fights (valid argument), but it was still excellent and I liked the slower movement in general.
    • The game took me about 35 hours longer to beat than it's predecessor.
    • DLC's were great.

Never associate with a Dark Souls 2 hater. They are mouth breathing fucktards. There are plenty of us who recognize it's greatness. We are the silent elite, we are genetically superior.

I started college and had severely bad Mental illness.

I didn't complete any video games, mostly because I stopped playing them for a solid 7 months, and before the period, I would occasionally play a game of Fortnite on the rare occasion.

Depression is a bitch eh?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Doom Eternal - Hated it. No map design like old Doom, ammo rains like rave candy whenever you use the chainsaw, music was complete shit, story was retarded. Yeah they made a story about Doom beyond "angry marine that picks up a gun and goes to town." Trash game.

Doom 64 - The real Doom 3.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Not as good as RE2 Remake, nowhere near as good as OG RE3, forgot I played this until the Steam sale reminded me it exists.

Streets of Rage 4 - Good beat 'em up, nowhere near the prestige of SoR Remake or SoR2/3 so in that way it sucked since I had high hopes. If you can only make a "good" Streets of Rage, don't do one at all.

Dragon's Dogma - Awesome fucking game. Dark Arisen content with its heavy focus on dungeon delving and the darker atmosphere has made me replay this one many a slow night. Great game for this shitty pandemic.

Monster Hunter World + Iceborne - Great boss rush game that is strangely addictive and has quite the challenge especially in the expansion.

I forgot any other shit I may have played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom