Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon of the Grimlord

Metronome

Learned
I've been working on a larger project for years, but I'm pretty secretive about it and the isolation is getting to me. So I dug up this little side thing I did and have decided to expand on it for fun. Dungeon of the Grimlord is a simple console application. Most runs last around three to ten minutes depending on the difficulty. Each difficulty also has it's own ending.

7MdKpcq.png

Originally this was going to be an example of a RPG without character development. It still works like that for the most part, but there is at least one way to increase your stats as you play. I might add graphics and sound later if people can't handle the interface. Though I want to keep development simple enough that this does not become a distraction.

[Version 3 - Windows]
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05323258156390474878

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's "your time is up, stranger!"
Commas before and after direct address.

"Watch thine step".
Thy is "you". Thine is "your".

English is not your native language?

Regarding the game, will not download. But post more screenshots of what your game can do, would be interesting to see that. Right now we've no idea what the game is like. What the hell does (T)hink do? :o

It can look absolutely hopeless being a console game, but in reality it's not like that at all. You can turn it into a mobile game with nice interface and it can do well.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
I've been working on a larger project for years, but I'm pretty secretive about it and the isolation is getting to me. So I dug up this little side thing I did and have decided to expand on it for fun. Dungeon of the Grimlord is a simple console application. Most runs last around three to ten minutes depending on the difficulty. Each difficulty also has it's own ending.

7MdKpcq.png

Originally this was going to be an example of a RPG without character development. It still works like that for the most part, but there is at least one way to increase your stats as you play. I might add graphics and sound later if people can't handle the interface. Though I want to keep development simple enough that this does not become a distraction.

[Version 3 - Windows]
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05323258156390474878

That looks really cool Metronome! - it reminds that there is lot to be said for simple but clear design.

Metronome

Learned
Regarding the game, will not download. But post more screenshots of what your game can do, would be interesting to see that. Right now we've no idea what the game is like.
I would add more screenshots but I want to keep the gameplay a surprise. I'm interested in what people will think without explaining too much. Since it's so short there isn't much to lose anyway. That's really the best justification for trying it I can offer right now.

I appreciate your critique and will keep it in mind. No promises though.

That looks really cool Metronome! - it reminds that there is lot to be said for simple but clear design.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to remain neutral though so people aren't pressured to respond one way or another. Excuse me if I seem cold as a result.

V_K

Arcane
"Watch thine step".
Thy is "you". Thine is "your".
Wrong. The nominative ("you") is "thou"; both "thy" and "thine" are possessives ("your"). "Thy" is used with nouns beginning with a consonant; "thine", with a vowel. So "thy step" is correct.

What's bothersome is the inconsistency in using you/your in some places and thou/thy in others in the game. Just pick one and stick with it.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
I think there is some potential here. It would be nice if there were more to the game, (e.g. exploration, items, equipment, spells). I actually really like the simple text-based interface. Add more complexity to combat and add exploration/puzzle gameplay like that in games like Zork and you would have something I would be willing to pay for.

Metronome

Learned
I think there is some potential here. It would be nice if there were more to the game, (e.g. exploration, items, equipment, spells). I actually really like the simple text-based interface. Add more complexity to combat and add exploration/puzzle gameplay like that in games like Zork and you would have something I would be willing to pay for.
That's the plan, except that the game is going to remain freeware. I'll be updating it as I add content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom