Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SumDrunkGuy

I did this review for Mexi. There ya go. Don't ask me to do another one.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Black Mesa
Persona 5R
Trials of Mana
Shantae and the Seven Sirens
Persona 4 Golden
Destroy All Humans!

Haven't beaten Troubleshooter yet because I took a break for something like 6 months while waiting to build a new PC and I didn't get Yakuza 7 until last week so I'm still working on that one.

Gastrick

Cipher
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth - great for Digimon fanservice, mediocre otherwise. Enjoyed it for what it is, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not already a fan of the franchise.
Furfag
Abu Antar
How did you play that many hours worth of games? That's 3.5 hours a day on average.
Juan_Carlo
With 50 hours a week, that would be enough time. Abu_Antar's list is 24 hours a week and has 54 games and Arck's less RPG-dense list has 88 games. That'd be less than 37 hours a week.

SumDrunkGuy

>Plays a game
You're seriously a loser if you still play games
I'm just spittin facts bitch.

Ooooo, one 4 hour long game in 365 days.

tenor.gif

Lick deez nuts.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
RPGs:

Demonicon
Eternal Ring
Fable: The Lost Chapters (replay)
Gorky 17
Shadowrun Returns (replay)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
South Park: The Stick of Truth (replay)
True Love (replay)

Non-RPGs:

Binary Domain
Biohazard 4 (replay)
Bully (replay)
Collapse
Collapse: Rage
Cryostasis
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
F.E.A.R (replay)
F.E.A.R 2 (replay)
F.E.A.R 3
Outcast: Second Contact
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Space Griffon VF-9

Probably missed an entry or two but it's not like it would've changed much.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I look forward to reflecting on these each year. Played a ton more games this time thanks to... obvious circumstances. In addition to these, I also got a couple of decent time records on QuakeWorld trick maps and and released a new version for my Give Me Deus Ex fork as well as creating some System Shock 2 mods.

* = replay

Dead Space 3 - A friend and I had both finished playing the prior two games and wanted to co-op this one to see how bad it was. Sure lived up to the (negative) hype. Uninspired levels, incredibly bland encounter design, half of the game time spent in the clunky weapon crafting bench menus. While the breadth of weapon customization sounds like a good thing, it mostly just leads to a bunch of micromanagement of the same effects you would have gotten from the original guns, so it's all a mindless blur. They say anything is fun with friends, but this barely qualifies. :1/5:
Thief II: The Metal Age - Definitely a great game, but the first one was better. TMA contains the series' best missions so far (Framed, The Bank, and Life of the Party come to mind), but also the worst (Trace the Courier, Casing the Joint, Soulforge). I also think the game is hurt in its more rigid focus on sneaking in human environments. TDP/TG had incredible mission variety, with each mission introducing something innovative and surprising with different styles of gameplay frequently intermixed to keep the player from settling into a comfortable monotony. TMA is mechanically improved with some new items and some expanded depth and interactivity in new areas, but the movement and difficulty design are a step back too. More thoughts here. :4/5:
Shadow Warrior - Enjoyed it quite a lot. More difficult than Duke Nukem 3D due to deadlier enemies and less reliable workhorse arsenal, combat has a nice scrappy feel to it. Weapons are diverse and fun across the board. Level designs are generally good, though I frequently got lost and confused. There are a few bullshit deathtraps that require savescumming, which is the game's biggest decline (I will never forgive Randy Pitchford for the rocket trap in Sumo Sky Palace). Still, measures up to the other FPS classics, don't understand the ire it receives. :4/5:
*Perfect Dark (Perfect Agent) - One of my all-time favorites, huge improvement on Goldeneye. Diverse missions with difficulty-dependent objectives a la Thief, a ton of creative weapon, cool gadgets, and tremendous interactivity with NPCs through hit reactions, disarming, surrendering, etc. Also features a pretty unique model for hitscan combat where enemies fire based on animations rather than aimbotting, so open combat is viable with the right movement. You can play it at 60FPS with mouse and keyboard using this emulator. :5/5:
Arx Fatalis - Excellent game, definitely my favorite from Arkane. I was completely engrossed by it, completing it in 40 hours over the span of just 8 days, and even dreaming about it one occasion. I love the depth and breadth of simulated object and environmental interactivity, density of RPG systems, extensive magic system, immersive hand-crafted world, unique fantasy setting, and enveloping atmosphere. I played a rogue build, which was actually much more viable than often claimed as long as you realize how to properly use bows and stealth, though the lack of supporting itemization was disappointing. Flaws include clunky movement, lame combat, restrictive level curve, and slightly too cryptic progression riddles. More thoughts here. :5/5:
Castlevania (NES) - Solid Nintendo hard classic. Played without save states and had a good time with it. The challenge design is quite good, difficulty is quite fair and well-communicated. YouTubers have vastly overhyped the difficulty of some sections like the Axe Armor + Medusa hallway before Death. Some of the clunkiness around movement and combat is a positive for gameplay, but the awkward stair interactions and occasional random knife drop from enemies are definitely negatives. Don't really care for how it looks or sounds, but it's a product of its era. :3/5:
Resident Evil 5 - Played in co-op as a sort of continuation from Dead Space 3 co-op. Starts out pretty good honestly, you're immediately thrown into a crazy arena fight that's even a step up from the RE4 village introduction and the subsequent levels have some decent exploration and combat setpieces. Inventory and upgrade systems are declined from RE4, but functional enough for a multiplayer experience, which also benefits from the new CQC combo moves that you can pull off with some experimentation. However, the quality drops as it goes on, particularly from Chapter 5 onward where the game becomes a self-parody with cover shooting against zombies wielding AK47s and some really stupid boss designs. :2/5:
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (Famicom) - Yeah, I played the Japanese release because it's easier. Grant throws knives instead of slashing with them, Axe Armor throws can be ducked, and damage taken is enemy-dependent rather than scaling with stage progression. I like the character gimmick, but the difficulty cuve is also rather sloppy as a result. There are some really challenging stages dotted through the game at odd points, and I struggle to think how I would have gotten through some sections with the changes to the US release. Still good, but not as elegant as the first game. :3/5:
*Unreal Gold (Unreal Evolution mod v1.1) - I played the beta version last year, which showed a lot of potential but was somewhat frustrating due to the prior difficulty implementation from OldUnreal and some other things that were missing in hindsight. Ash stepped up to the plate and rebalanced the difficulty design, added a Hardcore mode with tightly restricted saving, implemented a dedicated dodge key with improved physics (I helped out a smidge), and refined his already great work with the weapons, enemy behaviors, and map expansions. The weapon modding system has become one of my favorites in any game, adds a fantastic layer of progression beyond weapon collection and leads to a good deal of playstyle variety. Brings Unreal up there with the best where it belonged. :5/5:
*System Shock 2 (RSD mod 1.02) - Gave my own mod a test playthrough. Hard difficulty with an OSA start morphing into Energy + Exotic. Had fun with my own changes, but SS2 deserves a max rating on its own. :5/5:
Dark Souls III - Good game, but my least favorite of the trilogy. Combat is more focused on mechanical timing challenge than on strategic stamina management. Excellent bosses across the board, but I found most of the levels dull, with a few notable exceptions (Undead Settlement, Irithyll Dungeon, Grand Archives, Archdragon Peak). Doesn't help that the game is super linear and a lot of it is a rehash of stuff from the first game. Also found the RPG systems rather boring, and was disappointed how most of DS2's innovations were thrown in the trash. Still, it's a Souls game from From, so hard to go wrong. More thoughts here. :4/5:
*Quake - Did you really think I was going to not replay Quake several times this year? It's inevitable. I love the fourth episode more each time I play it. :5/5:
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - It's okay. New ammo types feel like a pointless inclusion, new enemies are kinda phoned in as well. Scourge of Armagon had cooler new content. The level design is pretty decent quality at least, if often lacking the densely layered design of the base game. :3/5:
*Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Card Mode ROMhack) - Fixes the awful grind for magic cards by moving them to secrets dotted across the castle. The progression is thoughtful and the game is quite a bit improved for it, more in line with other Igavania games. Replacing the random card drops with meat was a bit silly though, as it means healing items are a bit too common, where they were previously a bit too rare. Maybe there was some other gear they could drop? Don't remember what the castle secrets used to hold. :4/5:
*System Shock 2 (RSD mod 1.03) - Marine start on Hard difficulty gearing towards Standard + Heavy and maxing out most of the tech skills. Repair is good now, I swear! :5/5:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Very cool game that hits on a lot of things I like, albeit with room for improvement. Micropositioning around makeshift cover with leaning and two states of crouch while enemies flank is System Shock's FPS combat ideal fully realized. I love the compact scale of the Zone, the atmosphere is captivating and there were a lot of strong gameplay setpieces. The "hobo phase" is extremely lame, though; just savescum until the AI breaks and you get lucky headshots. Master difficulty is a meme early on, and people should be ashamed for spreading lies about it making enemies die faster (it doesn't, also that would be a stupid difficulty design). Resource management is nonexistent, economy is meaningless, and gear progression lacks choice. Still fairly compelling overall, and I even liked the final sections. More thoughts here. Played with ZRP 1.07:4/5:
Quake II - Meh. Doesn't live up to the hate, but is nowhere near as captivating as the first game. Cool level design and fun arsenal, but combat is slow, enemies are bland, and I don't care for the music, as blasphemous as that may be. The weapons themselves are more fleshed out than Q1's emaciated arsenal, but Q2 combat is molasses compared to Q1. You have to wait for firing AND pull up/put down animations to swap weapons, which severely limits creative combos. This was strategic in Doom, but Q2's enemies can't really threaten you while you're swapping so it only subtracts depth. I dislike that powerups can be used at will, removes the map-wide optimization puzzle to their use. Also, Power Shield makes the game way too easy, I didn't even notice it ran on cells and left it on for the final 3-4 units, was basically invincible and lost minimal health. More thoughts here.:3/5:
Final Fantasy VII - Solid experience held up by good story pacing and highly competent jRPG gameplay. The character progression systems are the best part; between gear, materia, limit, and character selection there’s a lot of stuff to play around with and it’s all pretty meaningful. The Active Time Battle combat system isn't revolutionary, but it can be fairly engaging thanks to creative enemy and boss designs that offer distinct challenges as the game progresses. I found the level design quite dull save for some of the dungeons in the second half, and the occasional puzzle/minigame doesn't do much to improve it. Story is entertaining with memorable reveals and character interactions (including some minor reactivity in dialogue depending on your party makeup), art design and music are stellar. Recommended to anyone with an open mind to jRPGs. More thoughts here. :4/5:
Super Castlevania IV - An obvious step up in visuals and sound, and has some new innovations in gameplay too. Simon can whip in 8 directions as well as flail it around freely, which de-emphasizes the subweapons, but also leads to new opportunities for encounter designs and whip-swinging challenges that the game mostly lives up to. First 4 stages are easy, but then the game gets Nintendo hard again when they start to test movement and whip reactions, before transitioning into an extremely good boss gauntlet (with fair checkpointing) at the end. While Dracula fights got stale later in the series, this one is a highlight, with him fighting more like an accomplished magician. It's a somewhat inconsistent experience as such, but still quite fun. Music is also great. :4/5:
*Goldeneye (00 Agent) - Had never actually beaten it on the highest difficulty so I gave it ago. It's okay, definitely not as good as Perfect Dark though. I'd recommend most skip it. :3/5:
*System Shock 2 (RSD mod 1.04) - Pure OSA build for the first time on Impossible. Had some super cool moments where I planned and perfectly executed psi combinations to defeat some difficult encounters. :5/5:
Blood - Great, but slightly overrated (just as Shadow Warrior is very over-hated -- I like them about equally). Played on Lightly Broiled with no mid-level saving after the first 3 maps. The core arsenal is amazing, the gunplay and movement are honed to perfection, the game is oozing charm and personality, but the level and encounter design is often lackluster. Blood only has one type of challenge -- enemies that try to surprise you in tight spaces. You never have meaningful crowd control with multiple enemy types in a single encounter; all of the difficulty comes from dudes around corners. The only enemies that pose any challenge other than the cultists are the hot dogs. While the core arsenal (shotgun, tommy gun, dynamite, napalm, flare gun) are great, the other weapons are pretty bland. Duke Nukem 3D is still the best Build FPS. Hail to the king, baby! :4/5:
Resident Evil (PSX) - Amazing game, still holds up marvelously. Played as Jill, found her to be a good introductory character. I was impressed by the mansion layout, resource tuning, scripted scares, and agency the player is given to explore. The best part was coming back to the mansion after the guardhouse and finding it infested with new and dangerous enemies, forcing me to use my previous knowledge of its layout to chart efficient routes and conserve resources. The game peaks after that, but still maintains a high level of quality overall. The campy dialogue only enhances the experience, and I found the original visuals and music created a very absorbing atmosphere. More thoughts here. :5/5:
Dying Light - An interesting case of a game that takes every overplayed element of its contemporaries -- open world, zombies, climbing, crafting, leveled loot, talent tree grinding -- but executes them competently. It all ties into an engaging core loop/challenge with its fluid and expressive movement mechanics and fairly deep first person melee combat. It feels like a successor to Dark Messiah with its focus on improvisational melee combat where the preferred method of dispatching enemies is via creative use of physics and the environment, including some especially glorious kicking. Enemy types provide a good variety in challenge and the character progression and open world activities keep things fresh. The available difficulties are also pretty hardcore, though balance leaves a lot to be desired. More thoughts here.:5/5:
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - Speak of the devil, and she shall be a succubus demon that lives in thine head. I wanted to compare kicking simulators back to back, and found Arkane's effort to be generally a good time, if a little underdeveloped in some areas. Obviously the core combat is great, tons of variety in how it can play out with the ways you can manipulate enemies and the environment. I went for a rogue build again as in Arx Fatalis and was 2 for 2 in viability despite what everyone claims. Stealth allows you to strategize a bit about how to tackle encounters, and several bows can recreate the same effects as some spells (on a cooldown), so you're not railroading yourself out of the fun stuff. Felt like it was lacking something in the itemization and level design departments, and the bosses were laughably bad. :4/5:
*Quake - THE SPAWN ARE THE BEST ENEMY IN QUAKE AND SANDY PETERSEN IS YOUR NEW GOD. :5/5:
Fallout - I'll be the one to say it: Fallout is a REALLY GOOD adventure game... with mediocre RPG elements tacked on. Most of what's good about the game has nothing to do with gameplay, but rather how much agency you're given to interact with the nonlinear story progression. The final level was the only time there was really an interesting gameplay scenario built from the mechanics with multiple approaches for different character builds. Otherwise, your skill choices are fairly meaningless and there are obvious right and wrong picks. Balance is abysmally lopsided. You're straight gimping yourself if you don't max... hang on, I feel like I've read this before. I won't apologize for slaughtering your sacred cow, but I do get why you all like it -- the setting is wonderful, the atmosphere isolating, and narrative interactivity is genius. But the gameplay on offer is quite weak. Used agris' patch guide and config. :4/5:
Pathologic 2 - Incredible, innovative game. I think many the game’s own fans are doing a tremendous disservice when they argue it's "more of an interactive story than a game" because the gameplay is "deliberately unenjoyable". Pathologic 2 offers one of the most compelling and yes, fun gameplay experiences I’ve had in recent memory. The survival systems create constant tension, the interactivity through items, economy, and social dynamics is very deep, and the simulated plague loop creates challenging and varied gameplay scenarios as the designers constantly up the ante. The setting and narrative are also world-class in their construction and integration with gameplay, but everyone else talking about the game can't shut up about that aspect so I won't even bother to elaborate. More thoughts here. :5/5:
Doom 64 (EX) - Kickass game, better than the original. It's weirdly in between Doom and Doom II, as it features the super Shotgun but only a portion of the new enemies. However, what's there is bolstered by the brand new sprite work, sound design, and effects. Most of the guns are more satisfying than ever, though the lack of a reload animation for the SSG is lame and the plasma gun feels gimped. Encounter design is strong throughout, and the final arena gauntlet and boss were a tough challenge as I hadn't found any secret levels for upgrades, so the Unmaker remained a pitiful peashooter to the end. My only complaint is that the levels were frequently more obtuse about the critical path than id's designs. :4/5:

Games I tried but did not complete:
  • E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. Tried to co-op it with 2 friends. Thought the systems were super cool but the mission content was dull, and we ended up dropping it halfway through at the Noctis Labrynth.
  • Unreal Mission Pack: Return to Na Pali with Unreal Evolution mod v2.2. I never played the base level pack, but it does seem like it's been generally improved. There's a new Ice Temple level which is quite good, and the layer of UE polish from weapons and enemy behaviors is nice (I coded the new rocket launcher homing). However, I felt the final arena fight went overboard, as I wasn't able to finish it after many hours of frustrating attempts and later lost my save file to an overwrite. Legitimately harder than anything in any game I've ever played.
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Zangeteu Mode). Disappointing waste of time. I was looking forward to playing a character focused on weapon techniques, and Zangetsu's moveset is fun to use, but for some insane reason they decided to make him invincible while doing any input combo move so every boss and enemy becomes a near literal faceroll. The final boss was suddenly a stiff challenge at the end of a pathetic 3-hour cheeseball run of the entire game's content besides, and I could not summon the energy to bother finishing it.
  • Dead Cells. I enjoyed the core combat mechanics, but wasn't really digging the roguelite structure around gear. I tried a bunch of the weapons and found I pretty much only enjoyed using the stun/freeze shield + fuckoff hammer for bonus damage after parrying, and it's pretty much RNG as to whether I can get that build going in a given run, made less likely with each new item I unlock in the shop.
  • Dying Light: The Following. Did most of it in co-op already, will update here once it's done.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gastrick Not all games were started in in 2020. Some save files are from 2018 that I picked up.

But, yes, I play a lot of games for many hours. I usually go to bed at 2AM on weekdays, so I have a solid two hours to play undisturbed. I also get in an hour or two every day before that. Some days, I play more (weekends), some days I play less.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Gastrick Not all games were started in in 2020. Some save files are from 2018 that I picked up.

But, yes, I play a lot of games for many hours. I usually go to bed at 2AM on weekdays, so I have a solid two hours to play undisturbed. I also get in an hour or two every day. Some days, I play more (weekends), some days I play less.

...you get to bed by 2AM?

DBnz41w.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

But, yes, I play a lot of games for many hours. I usually go to bed at 2AM on weekdays, so I have a solid two hours to play undisturbed. I also get in an hour or two every day. Some days, I play more (weekends), some days I play less.

...you get to bed by 2AM?

DBnz41w.png
Sure. As long as I get my five hours of sleep, I'm a happy camper.

Alphons

Cipher
In no particular order:

1. Desktop Dungeons- played with Extreme Edition mod. Really fun puzzle game with loads of content.
  2. Deadbolt- from Risk of Rain devs, play as Grim Reaper hitman as you take out undead trying to escape Purgatory.
  3. Expeditions: Conquistador- take place of Cortez and decide the fate of the Aztec empire. Good tactical encounters. Did 2 playthroughs: scholar and a bloodthirsty warmonger.
  4. Expeditions: Viking- sequel to Conquistador. Prepare for expedition to Britain to gather allies and open trade routes or just plunder churches and slaughter clergy. Did 2 playthroughs as trader and later Viking.
  5. Vigilantes- save the city from the rule of mob, dangerous militia and doomsday cult.
  6. Fallout Nevada (replay)- dumb, jinxed, unarmed character, killed every NPC
  7. Zombie Driver- tune your taxi and save survivors of zombie apocalypse while plowing through thousands of undead.
  8. Yakuza Kiwami- a bit underwhelming remake of the original Yakuza. Spent several hours on mahjong completion points.
  9. Shadow Warrior- Wanton Destruction was definitely weaker than base game and Twin Dragon.
  10. Duke Nukem 3D
  11. ULTIMATE DOOM
  12. DOOM 2
  13. FINAL DOOM
  14. DOOM MASTER LEVELS
  15. Top 100 DOOM Wads
  16. Penumbra Dark Descent
  17. Penumbra Black Plague- liked them both a bit more than Amnesia
  18. AC: Revelations
  19. Grand Theft Auto 2
  20. Grand Theft Auto V- great world, atrocious story. I liked Freaks and Strangers on the other hand.
  21. Stasis
  22. Cayne- both Stasis and Cayne have stunning visuals, good puzzles and interesting story. Picked up Beautiful Desolation on current sale.
Currently halfway through Yakuza Kiwami 2.

orcinator

Liturgist
Going down my torrent history:

World of Horror: Cool pixel art attached to somethign that's barely a game. Shit/10
Ghostrunner: Mirrors edge but you have a katana, feels like an improvement. Alright/10
Death Mark and Spirit Hunter:NG: Decent visual novel with puzzles that range from good to annoying. Very nice ghost design. Phoenix Wright/10
Othercide: Turn based tactic with cute girls and permadeath. Mechanics not so great and the whole roguelike time loop gimmick feels like a hindrance. Meh/10 game My fetish/10 girls
Control: Creative ideas hampered by boring design decisions that keep it from being anything other than just another TPS. Meh/10 game Jay Leno/10 Girl
Silent Hill 1 and 2: Ya'll know dis iz. Atmosphere great, gameplay not so great. Was surprised by how much better SH1 is in the combat department since the enemies can't all be beaten by smashing them with a melee weapon though SH2 had the better puzzles. Widespread Opinion/10 for both.
Streets of Rage 4: Good beat em up. Expected to be worse and filled with gay RPG elements like DD:Neon and River City Girls but they kept true to the genre's roots. good/10
NuDoom Eternal: two steps forward from NuDom (faster with more enemies) but two steps back as well (infinite ammo chansaw, tapping dodge button avoids everything) but keeps most of the predecessor's problems (samey arena fights, dumb perk trees and weapon upgrades) Okay/10
Total Warhammer 2: Didn't officially beat it but my boyz got too swole to control and I don't want to bother cleaning up the rest of the humies. Okay/10
Resident Evil 2 Remake: I suck at it but I can see how one would appreciate the "you can't kill everything so choose carefully what to use ammo on" style of gameplay. Probably Good/10
Anime: I watched a decent amount this year, some seasons were good some were just average but for me there were more highs than lows. Sigururi AOTY. Great/10
Actual RPGs: The campaign I'm running is a massive timesink and I probably could have played more video games. As a player I'm having more fun than last year when I played more Shadowrun. Pain/10 gming, Okay/10 playing

Last edited:

Syme

Arbiter
Completed Replays:

• Icewind Dale
  • Arcanum
  • ToEE
  • Mount & Blade Warband with Pendor mod
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • VtM:B
  • NWN2 plus MotB plus another game of Storm of Zehir
  • Old X-Com with X-com Files mod
  • Several games of Dominions 5
  • Pool of Radiance
  • A couple of SNES games on an emulator (Final Fight series and a few shooters like UN Squadron and Bio Metal).
  • Planetside 2 - Been playing on and off since 2014. Doesn't really fit under completed since it's a multiplayer shooter but whatever.

First time Completion:

• Knights of the Chalice - Had a blast with this. My favorite "new" game I played this year and I wish I gave this a shot sooner.
  • Starsector - Highly recommended, only losing out to Knights of the Chalice due to my love for D&D.
  • Pathfinder: Kangmaker - Bought it on release and played for a while but then waited a year for patches and mods. Great fun until the final chapters.
  • Xenonauts with X-Division mod - Played vanilla Xenonauts when it came out and now gave this mod a try. It's very good but still inferior to modded Old X-Com imo.
  • Legends of Amberland - Fun little game, though I wished it was a bit more complex.
  • Age of Fear 1-3 - I had these on my wishlist for years and finally got around to playing them. Pretty decent turn based combat for a couple of bucks a piece on a sale.
  • Fallout 1.5 resurrection - My first forray into classic Fallout mods and it was actually better than I expected.
  • Wreckfest - After sitting in EA for years they finally shat out the final version. It's decent at being a more modern Flatout I guess.
  • Recettear - My first try of an item shop game and it got me hooked on the genre for a couple of weeks.
  • Weapon Shop Fantasy - The second item shop game I tried. Has some charm.
  • Dragon Cliff - Another item shop game, I liked this one the least.
  • Dishonored 2 - Grabbed it on sale. Looks pretty, but doesn't hold up to 1.
  • Mirror - Match 3 with anime titties and I am not ashamed to play it.
  • Rome: Total War (the old one) with Terrae Expugnandae mod - First time playing this particular mod. I prefer this to Warhammer 2.
  • Forza Horizon 4 - Looks good and drives well for an arcade racer but all the NPC characters are really fucking annoying. Like really really annoying.
  • Hitman: Absolution - Probably the worst hitman game. They really fucked up with everyone seeing through your disguise. Wouldn't recommend playing this.
  • Civ 6 - The first is also the last game of Civ 6 I'll ever play. Not recommended for anyone with access to virtually any other Civ game.

Started but dropped:

• Freemen: Guerilla Warfare - Mount and Blade with guns. Seems more like an unfinished mod than an actual game and probably the worst "new" game I played this year. Outer worlds and ME: Andromeda at least have decent graphics.
  • Pillars of Eternity - For like the fourth time.
  • Warhammer 2 Total War - For like the fourth time. I really want to like this, but there's something off and I don't know what.
  • Roguetech - My goal here was learning a foreign language during loading screens and enemy turns. Ich spreche jetzt deutsch.
  • Grim Dawn - Kinda lost interest halfway through.
  • ME: Andromeda - Wanted to see how terrible it was and it was terrible indeed.
  • Outer Worlds - Awfully bland. Played for longer than I had fun with it really and dropped it after 15 hours or so.
  • Need for Speed Heat - Bought the EA Play thingie for 3 bucks and tried a couple of games. NFS:Heat is basically worse in nearly every way compared to Forza.
  • Battlefield 1 and 5 - Both made me wish I was playing Planetside 2 instead.
  • Tales of Berseria - It's not bad and I plan on finishing it eventually. I just felt like playing something else some 20 hours in and didn't pick it up again.
  • M&B 2 Bannerlord - Bought on release and currently waiting for good mods.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
PC:

Ho Tu Lo Shu

Wind Road

Fate Seeker

Dungeon of Regalias

Xuanyuan Sword 7

Danger Angel

PC Engine:

Alshark

Startling Odyssey 1

Record of Lodoss War 1

Record of Lodoss War 2

Sega CD:

Illusion City

SNES:

Dark Half

PC88/PC98:

Maha Barata

魔晶伝記ラヴァルー

ロードス島戦記 I 灰色の魔女

ロードス島戦記Ⅱ 五色の魔竜

囚われの天使

殺しのドレス

殺しのドレス 2

誘惑の吐息

プリンセスミネルバ 姫のわがまま大冒険

アークス1

アークス2

アークス3

野々村病院の人々

ジーザス 恐怖のバイオ・モンスター

ジーザス2

Genji

Xenon Mugen no Shitai

Days in Duel

Angelus

Power Slave

Queen’s Library

Foxy

Foxy 2

キミだけに愛を・・・

黒の断章 The Literary Fragment

トラベル ジャンクション

ここは楽園荘1

ここは楽園荘2

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Gastrick

Cipher

>Plays a game

You're still butthurt about that? Dude this thread is just sad. Some of these fuckers have fucking dissertations of games and reviews on here. Someone playing a 4 hour game is no co mparison.

Some of these fuckers have fucking dissertations of games and reviews on here.
Like SumDrunkGuy's review?

Humanophage

Arcane
I don't really make a distinction between finishing and playing a fair deal.

Europa Universalis 4 ...... as no-blobbing Brittany. Had fun LARPing, but far too gamey to take on its own terms. Wish MEIOU 3 was released.
Crusader Kings 2 ........... as Croatia. Much better and less blobby than EU4. You can build tall and nations are more historically bounded, although still not enough.
Thea 2 .......................... pretty good and atmospheric, not as inferior to Thea 1 as people say. You just need to know how to play it right because e.g. gathering on distant tiles is bugged. Might replay.
Civilization 4 .................. in French. Wanted something familiar to help learning a language. Good game that is challenging on higher difficulties. I really appreciate that restarting makes for diverse gameplay.
Rimworld ....................... strong effort, but the difficulty depends too much on attention and not on challenge. Everything is quotidian until you misclick, fail to notice the AI doing something dumb, etc.
Gremlins, Inc. ................ not bad as a table-top game, but multiplayer doesn't really work and AI is too weak. Very nice unique setting though.
Darkest Dungeon Arena .. pretty unusual and fun turn-based PvP. Alas, you can't speed up the super-long animations, so it's dead to me.
This War of Mine ............ feels a bit like a mobile game, too simplistic and abstract, and the social messages are a bit cringey. Will probably replay it though.

Underrail+Expedition ...... lovely atmospheric game with good combat. The new content looks beautiful, too. Really deserves its place in the codex pantheon.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 .... pretty good turn-based combat. Severe problems with boring itemisation and the fact that too much depends on the level and not the build.

Grim Dawn ..................... quite interesting build system, but most of the game is completely trivial until you arrive at the Shattered Realm on Ultimate. Too grindy.
Crossout ........................ very addictive PvP, should stay away from this. Fun economics.
Skyrim ........................... in French. Good game for learning a language, not as hardcore in that sense as traditional RPGs. Many labelled items, diverse text (books, dialogues, repetitive phrases). Voiceovers help, too.

In the coming year, I plan to play Shadow Empire, Disco Elysium, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, Tyranny, and maybe UnReal World. Maybe I will also try Dragon Age: Origins in French, although the first time it was too hardcore for me in linguistic terms. Possibly also Baldur's Gate 1 and Pillars of Eternity 2 in French. Tried BG1 and it went well, but I downloaded the hideously looking blurry Beamdog version.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

>Plays a game

You're still butthurt about that? Dude this thread is just sad. Some of these fuckers have fucking dissertations of games and reviews on here. Someone playing a 4 hour game is no co mparison.

Some of these fuckers have fucking dissertations of games and reviews on here.
Like SumDrunkGuy's review?

~4 minute video on a notoriously short game. Doesn't even make sense considering people on here are posting enormous gaming lists and entire fucking libraries worth of reviews, but hey, all this is showing is how effective that video is. You're still butthurt about being called a faggot, loser :lol:.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2020:
Battle Goddess Episode 0 - Ikusa Megami Zero
Batman The Enemy Within - The Telltale Series
Beat Blades Haruka
Bloodstained - Ritual of The Night
Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle
Draugen
EROGE! Sex and Games Makes Sexy Games
Euphoria
Final Fantasy XV
Hidden Agenda
Lamplight City
Lorelai
Maggot Baits
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - The Telltale Series
Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 4: Dancing all Night
Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight
Tacoma
The Descendant
The Sinking City
The Surge
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Remastered
Unavowed
Whispers of a Machine
Zero Escape - Zero Time Dilemma

:thumbsup:

2021 spoilers, currently in progress:
- Death Stranding
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Judgment
- Kami no Rhapsody
- Persona 3 Dancing
- Rayman Legends
- Star Wars Fallen Order
- Yakuza 0

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Played and finished:
Drakensang: River of Time
Wizardry 6
Secret of the Silver Blades (replay)
Thronebreaker: Witcher Tales

Almost finished:
The Witcher 1 (replay)
Realms of Arkania 1: Blade of Destiny NOT fucking HD (replay)

Played but not finished:
way too many

visions

Arcane
I've been mostly playing 15-20 year old games.

Completed:

Nox
twice (as the Conjurer and the Wizard). Cool isometric action game with some rpg trappings. Was one of my first rpg-like games back in the day but I never finished it in the early 00's. Better late than never.

Nox used to get dismissed as a Diablo clone but the gameplay mechanics are more action than Diablo and there's no char building beyond choosing a class (Warrior, Wizard or Conjurer who is basically a ranger/summoner) so the game plays quite different than Diablo and its clones (there's no stat based hit chance for instance). The game can get quite hectic at times but isn't very challenging most of the time. Isometric action combat is fun though.

Fairly vanilla playthrough of Morrowind + Tribunal + Bloodmoon (installed the purist's patch and the code patch when I reached Bloodmoon). I've completed the main quest and Tribunal years ago (not with any of my first few characters, mind) but I stopped somewhere mid-Bloodmoon last time.

This time I made it through Bloodmoon but it's the weakest of the bunch. The world has less charm compared to Vvardenfell and the Nords are clumsily written caricatures of noble savages (Skaal) or cartoon vikings (the rest of them). Especially disappointing compared to the Ashlanders who were a competently written barbarian culture in the main game. Not talking Shakespeare here but the Ashlanders were pretty well handled, hitting a good balance between being arguably justifiably xenophobic pricks while still being likable and noble in their own way.

I liked Tribunal more but the fact that you spend most of the main quest being an errand boy for an unlikable prick and an unlikable cunt who both try to kill you is a bummer. Hard not to ask myself, why exactly am I helping these people? I skipped most of
Helseth's
optional quests because of that.

The main game has been discussed to death over the past 20 years here, many hate it, many like it. I like it.

That's it for the completed games, I guess Morrowind took a huge amount of my gaming time.

Other than that I mostly played:

UT
(mostly multi, some people still play. I'm not good but it's still fun. Don't like the few newer mp shooters I've tried)

UT2004
(played through most of the single player campaign, couldn't beat the final fight against the Skaarj clan lord and moved on)

Test Drive Unlimited
(open world arcade racer from 2006, fun enough to larp driving cars I can never hope to own in real life. Found it playable on a keyboard. My pirated copy has no music so I spent most of the game racing to 70's to 90's metal MP3-s. 70's/80's heavy/power metal for cruising around Hawaii, late 80's/early 90's black/death metal for police chases).

The original Star Wars Battlefront. Well, I half-completed the single player campaign to this since we played through that on a single profile taking turns with my brother over two weekends at my place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom