Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

potatojohn

Arcane
I still went with going back to Earth, as the game again missed the bloody obvious option - why pick now? Why not go back, look for cure, and if nothing is found in 6 months, then go for an upload. Why does it have to be now or never deal, besides for silly drama?
Because you're getting worse, and soon you probably wouldn't be able to function normally / look for a cure.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So, I just finished the game, Arasaka ending. And it's exactly the same as the rest of the main story line - half-baked and linear as fuck.

Went with this ending because I was playing corpo and because all other endings felt to me like:

1. Attack Arasaka HQ!
2. ???
3. Profit!

Then Johnny got mad at me because of it, said I betrayed him and myself. Problem is, I never signed up on the suicide mission to take down the evil corporation, that was his thing. All I cared about was saving myself, which I have told him repeatedly throughout the game. And instead of him accepting that, he is still the same old Johnny. All his talk about how he has changed felt fake at that point, as he still comes across as the same raging asshole that would sacrifice everything and everyone - PC included - to his obsession. And you can't even articulate that point well at the end, as the game presents Johnny as your conscience and tells you that you are totally wrong for not going in guns blazing to do the bidding of a mass murderer tumor and his dead AI girlfriend.
Whatever game, I'm sick of you too. Maybe we will see each other again after a couple of years, some DLCs and a major overhaul mod or two. Maybe.
Throughout the game you're being told that you can't be saved. The discussion with Hellman makes that very clear. All the dialogue exploration with other characters reinforce this point. I don't know what you expected. In all endings V has a few months left to live. Unless they add something in the DLCs.
As for Johnny? I couldn't stand the guy. I did choose the Don't fear the reaper ending.
I really, really wanted to be able to destroy the corpos and one final suicide assault against an entire corpo HQ, with only you and a ghost in your head, fighting off all the corpo's armed forces including Smasher, seemed, well, awesome. But it was very short unfortunately and not satisfying.

Throughout the game you're being told that you can't be saved. The discussion with Hellman makes that very clear. All the dialogue exploration with other characters reinforce this point. I don't know what you expected. In all endings V has a few months left to live. Unless they add something in the DLCs.

Not what I was gripping about. I complained about the game calling this ending as betrayal of everything my character stood for his entire life... even though 6 months ago my character worked for the damned company and never bought into Johnny's obsession. The whole main quest line is too damn focused on Johnny. I did not get to try out his secret ending as apparently I did not kiss his ass enough for that.

Turjan

Arcane
The Arasaka ending is literally called the devil end. The game is passing moral judgment on you for disappointing your BFF Johnny. No place for nuance here.
There is actually room for nuance. When Misty reads your tarot, she explains that the card doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, it just means the will to survive, but also a false world. It's quite literal actually.
It's clear that Johnny would disapprove. He lost in that case. In his preferred ending, V's soul is killed.

Last edited:

alyvain

Learned
The Arasaka ending is literally called the devil end. The game is passing moral judgment on you for disappointing your BFF Johnny. No place for nuance here.

Johnny is a fucked-up Osama bin Laden (there is even a twin towers memorial in the city center), who turned everything he touched into shit. There may be little nuance to this ending, but for different reasons.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

That's an interesting point, because if you've ever dabbled in occultism, you know that the Devil in the Tarot isn't necessarily an evil thing. It could be, but it depends on the surrounding cards. Trouble is, Misty's reading isn't orthodox Tarot. Plus also she's a Streetkid, what does she know about the options re. aligning with the most powerful corporation in the world? :)

I quite like the ambiguity of it. After all, the great Transhumanist dream is a) immortality via uploading, and b) onward to the stars. Of all the factions in the game, which is most likely to achieve that? Arasaka obviously. The flaw in that ointment is that Saburo is a control freak and wants to keep it all under his and his family's control forever (the sinister line from him on the newsfeed at the end, "Change isn't necessary if you have perfection" or something along those lines). On the other hand, your bro Takemura, who came from humble beginnings like you (at least if you're a Streetkid as my main is, or a Nomad), has been right in the thick of the Arasaka empire for years, about as close to the center of power as you can get. So if he ultimately trusts Saburo's intentions (e.g., he hasn't smelt anything fishy about the whole engram/Mikoshi thing, like the engrams will be turned into slaves of some sort, or whatever) maybe you're best off taking the Deal? Certainly if you've ever felt the lure of Transhumanism you should, as it's your best chance at that future, as you, retaining the continuity of you from your birth. (Being absorbed into an AI might seem somewhat in the same wheelhouse, but it's not at all, although in a sense it could be a path to even greater power ultimately, but then it's definitely no longer you who will have that power.)

The play of humanity vs. transcendence mixed with the question of identity - it's all good stuff really, and it's very much in the vein of the great cyberpunk classics and that whole period of techno-optimism and Transhumanism from the 80s to the 90s.

alyvain

Learned
Also a corpo. We know Jackie from the start, it's safe to assume our begins were also humble

Corpo mentions eating real fish when he was a child, so I suppose he is from a relatively well-to-do family. The ties with Jackie are probably due to V's work in the counter-intelligence and taking part in murky business. Still, it makes little sense why he doesn't know more about the big shots in the city then, because he got quite high in the food chain.

Tyrr

Liturgist

Johnny is a fucked-up Osama bin Laden (there is even a twin towers memorial in the city center), who turned everything he touched into shit. There may be little nuance to this ending, but for different reasons.
I lost all respect (the little bit I still had) for him after after the second flashback. When you leaned his real reasons for detonation a nuclear bomb inside a metropolis.
Arasaka stealing his gf

Fighting "corporate colonialism" my ass. He is just a sad little selfish egomaniac.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also a corpo. We know Jackie from the start, it's safe to assume our begins were also humble

Corpo mentions eating real fish when he was a child, so I suppose he is from a relatively well-to-do family. The ties with Jackie are probably due to V's work in the counter-intelligence and taking part in murky business. Still, it makes little sense why he doesn't know more about the big shots in the city then, because he got quite high in the food chain.

There are a lot of "posh" assets in the game - stunning apartments and hotels, etc. Imagine if the game had been such that you had relatively different beginnings where you were "in" the 3 different paths for longer - as a Nomad, you'd be doing stuff in the country, raiding Militech convoys and all that good stuff; as a Streetkid you'd be doing stuff in the city more or less as the game is now, anti-Arasaka; and as a Corpo you'd be more involved with high level corporate and political skulduggery, hobnobbing with the rich and famous, uncovering an AI plot to break through the Blackwall, etc. Then eventually the general storylines converged in some way. Now that would have been the game the hype promised.

vota DC

Augur
There is actually room for nuance. When Misty reads your tarot, she explains that the card doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, it just means the will to survive, but also a false world. It's quite literal actually.
It's clear that Johnny would disapprove. He lost in that case. In his preferred ending, V's soul is killed.
It is funny because usually Devil tarot ending is when someone stole your body just like in Ogre Battle ending if you side with Galf. The evil powerhungry ending there was Death tarot.

Vatnik Wumao
If you go for the Arasaka end, isn't your final mission to surrender to Arasaka? The game's clearly making it's moral judgment of you obvious.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
If you go for the Arasaka end, isn't your final mission to surrender to Arasaka? The game's clearly making it's moral judgment of you obvious.

A CyberPUNK game that makes a moral judgment if you surrender your soul and body to the personification of fascist capitalism? How dare they?

Vatnik Wumao

A CyberPUNK game that makes a moral judgment if you surrender your soul and body to the personification of fascist capitalism? How dare they?
I wouldn't go that far though. CDPR isn't preachy about it, just giving that route a more foreboding tone.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station

The tarot cards you see as you go about are only visible to V and Johnny, aren't they? There's obviously the meta of the devs having fun with foreshadowing all over the place, in placement and in given meaning, but I couldn't make sense of why a former junkie would start telling the future in synch with a particular interpretation. Like you and gurugeorge say, the datamining has pulled out the Devil card's full description and it's "The Devil is addiction, craving and passion. He brings fame and fortune, but at the price of losing oneself to a world of material distractions. The Devil lures unsuspecting souls into traps, but always grants them a choice. One can try their luck and take him up on his offer, but one should always know when to call quits."

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Devil is ingame but only briefly and at a point where even if you could scan it then it won't actually log as being found.
It's in the cube V can't solve when she's in the Arasaka ending.
Judgement the same.
Panam ending, in the room of the Smasher fight.

But the game files have the text for them which has been pulled out for wikis etc.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

I'm 5 minutes in and he hasn't said a word about bad software engineering. Shit video.

Yep. It is just a ten minute rant about how bad and evil the management is and how great the developers are at their craft. There is no value to this video whatsoever.

Anybody who posts it here is just getting duped by a clickbaiting grandpa and wasting our time.

NO WAY MAN!11! We definitely need some fucking tard to come in and post a link to it again, that way we can see it linked on at least every other page of this topic. It is that good. Make sure to also include a video of the game glitching out because those are SO funny and that way I don't have to go to Reddit for my 70 IQ funny vid fix. Let's just turn this into a video linking thread for funny reddit videos actually!

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

If the shoe fits THOT... (w/ her clever santa hat, tats, and bright red lipstick, she surely is just a hardcore gamer not selling her ass on her channel right?)

Adam Smasher is my personal hero for giving THOTs immediate feedback on what they are based on how they present themselves. Evelyn was literally there as a paid whore. Smasher should have 'smashed' on the way out. #MakeMisogynyGreatAgain

Last edited:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

This video is quite retarded honestly.

"Let's compare The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk as RPGs: Cyberpunk has better combat, so one point to Cyberpunk. The Witcher 3 has much better C&C but only because it's longer so doesn't matter reeeee !111!!1"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom