Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fedora Master , I'm serious. The hammer, axe and nails sold for 3.6 gr. and that's with Henry in full haggling mode. The bastard wanted to buy them for only 3.4 gr. The coals costed 3.4 gr for 5 coal, whereas Henry needs 10 :lol:

You get the money for the coal from your dad after you give him the hammer back though. That, for once, isn't on Hardcore.
Fuck, I thought the quest said to sell everything in order to get money :lol:

By coincidence, Vanderbilt was barely literate but became the richest person in US history to this day.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man the bandit cave was a piece of shit, I barely knew why I'm there in the first place, and I got lost and found my way out by accident.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Always keep a couple of bottles of Schnapps with you and take a drink when it looks like things might be getting dangerous.

And that's another thing. The game actually isn't dangerous all that often. The only danger are bandits and Cumans and those are a) p. sporadic and b) you can usually sense them from a mile away.

Ofc you can get whacked by guards or townsfolk too if you fuck up a burglary or some such but those dangers are of your own making.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
people whining about limited saves are just fucking retarded holy shit, just have a couple of the saving potions on hand if you are that fucking paranoid.. I had like 5 and rarely ever used them because there are places you can sleep (and therefore save) all over the fucking map.

you fucking decline enabling pieces of shit should stick to ass crud and soyberpoz OH NO THE GAME DOESN'T AUTOFILL ME w/ HEALTH AFTER A CUTSCENE REEEEEE

botched the sermon so you had to RIDE ACROSS THE ENTIRE MAP my bloody ringpiece... you could have paid the few groschen at the Inn in the same fucking town and had a save spot you poor jewish fuck.. you could have even used a potion just before hand

The point is that it's fucking pointless. It has nothing to do with the difficulty as the game is piss easy, and even if it was hard, it would change absolutely nothing. Retard.

By the way, are you having trouble at home? Family issues, maybe? You can pm me if you need someone to talk to.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree with that but in KCD most consequences DO have weight and often they do build on your previous actions. You're barking at the wrong tree here, for the most part.

Sure, KCD does have such consequences and most likely the important stuff are as i described them (TBH it has been a while since i played the game), but that means that handicapping the savesystem is even more pointless and only serves to annoy people.

Plus all this debate about "limited save system" is really overblown because KCD is not exactly Dark Souls, you CAN save whenever you want.

To be clear, the savesystem issue for me is really more of a pet peeve. In practice i've played and enjoyed way worse games with much more limited savesystems. It just happens that this thread mentions the savesystem more than in other games so i mention my opinions here :-P.

The reason i dropped the game didn't really have to do with saving, i just got tired of all the stuff it wanted me to do "manually" with neither the mouse nor the gamepad feeling good doing that stuff. Perhaps i'll try it again at some point in the future, after all i found New Vegas quite boring and dropped it the first time i played it, yet eventually it became one of my favorite RPGs and one i've lost count how many times i've replayed.

So let's not pretend the schnapps system is terribly cruel or arduous in any way.

Well, no, it just doesn't really add anything.

Lemme guess, your answer is to cheese the game so you make lots of money immediately. Wow, great design right there.

Yeah, well, look, IMO if a game's rules allow you to do something then doing it is perfectly fine if it lets you win the game. I do not believe in the concept of 'cheesing' :-P.

But anyway, IIRC one way to make money is to travel around the worldmap between cities - you'll inevitably get attacked by respawning bandits and you can loot them and sell their stuff.

copebot

Learned
The save system in this game is inconsequential once you learn how to brew the potion (and how to brew potions in general). In that the game has weaknesses, it's other things that aren't at all related to the saves like how easy it is to break the economy and the combat system in general just being badly thought out and implemented.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I agree that Hardcore mode adds a bunch of things that don't gel too well with existing game and are only here to break immersion.
Imo, devs should've kept the autosaves after some of the longer cutscenes and lengthy railroaded main quest segments.

Harthwain

Magister
The thing is, yes, i understand the intention behind this choice - however i do not agree with it (for reasons already mentioned). I wrote that this isn't good design (IMO) and what you mention here is such an example: the important "bad" stuff shouldn't be something that happens *immediately* after you take an action so that you can simply reload to avoid it.
Considering you save in bed that you own, how can you "simply reload to avoid it" without losing all the progress you made along the way? For me it stimulated the "fear of dying" to some degree, which made me more careful with what I was doing.

It serves effectively as a quicksave, supplementing bed-saving mechanic.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
imagine being poor in KCD, what the FUCK?
After illegally hunting wild boar, cooking the meat and selling it. I had so much Groschen that Henry could afford to buy his own kingdom:dance:

I might just try this. To whom do you sell?

My go-to money making scheme is going on raids and selling all the armour.
You can sell to anyone. But you need to cook the meat first. After you've cooked it then it's not "stolen" meat anymore

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The thing is, yes, i understand the intention behind this choice - however i do not agree with it (for reasons already mentioned). I wrote that this isn't good design (IMO) and what you mention here is such an example: the important "bad" stuff shouldn't be something that happens *immediately* after you take an action so that you can simply reload to avoid it.
Considering you save in bed that you own, how can you "simply reload to avoid it" without losing all the progress you made along the way? For me it stimulated the "fear of dying" to some degree, which made me more careful with what I was doing.

In KCD you can't and that is what i mean: if a game relies on its savesystem to put weight into its consequences then those consequences are cheap and instead it shouldn't have consequences that can be easily avoided by making a save before an obvious "choice" which has a "consequence" happen immediately after i. In other words, having a proper savesystem with arbitrary saving and loading shouldn't be something that the game relies on for its difficulty.

It serves effectively as a quicksave, supplementing bed-saving mechanic.

Which is why i wrote that it doesn't add anything, what is the point of not having a proper savesystem if after a while you can easily bypass its limited saving to the point of making the entire mechanic moot, aside from artificially increasing the early game difficulty instead of relying on the game's mechanics to do that? Take ELEX as a counterexample: while it might have some brokenness, it is also a hard game early on. However ELEX relies on its mechanics and world design for its difficulty instead of its savesystem - which is IMO the proper way to do this.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Even attic in 1994 learned with its mistakes on blade of destiny and removed the savesystem limitations in star trail.

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

Harthwain

Magister
Bad Sector I don't follow.

How the save system works has nothing to do with difficulty. You, as the player, are bad at everything, because you start bad at everything and you will get better with practice (both literally and by increasing your in-game skills). It doesn't really matter if you have an unlimited number of save potions, because the real restriction is not the lack of potions, but their after-effect: getting you drunk. Technically you could make a save before any consequence by either drinking or sleeping, but the first is going to make the task even harder for you and the second is going to waste a lot of your time as you'll need to go back to a bed, sleep and then travel back and won't make the action itself any easier. It'll also be a waste of time n times, because you'll be potentially replaying each failed attempt.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
How the save system works has nothing to do with difficulty. You, as the player, are bad at everything, because you start bad at everything and you will get better with practice (both literally and by increasing your in-game skills). It doesn't really matter if you have an unlimited number of save potions, because the real restriction is not the lack of potions, but their after-effect: getting you drunk. Technically you could make a save before any consequence by either drinking or sleeping, but the first is going to make the task even harder for you and the second is going to waste a lot of your time as you'll need to go back to a bed, sleep and then travel back and won't make the action itself any easier. It'll also be a waste of time n times, because you'll be potentially replaying each failed attempt.

Right, and isn't the purpose of all that to deincentivize saving? Why would the game want to do that instead of having a normal save system with quicksave/quickload anywhere?

Harthwain

Magister
Right, and isn't the purpose of all that to deincentivize saving? Why would the game want to do that instead of having a normal save system with quicksave/quickload anywhere?
Truth be told, I never saw anything official when it comes to the save system from Warhorse Studios or Daniel Vavra. Other than them saying that they are working on "save on exit" function post-release. But it makes sense to assume this was the goal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom