Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlords 3 Dark Lords Rising - MAX Version

Greetings, Warlords!

Was Warlords 3 Darklords Rising better than Warlords 2? In a surprising amount of ways, no. But does it still have the best questing system of any fantasy RPG hero-centered turn-based 4x game? Yes it does. And does it have heavy amounts of NSFW content? Also yes. And the music, graphics, spell system, item system, unit diversity, and item capabilities all saw huge upgrades. It's also a surprisingly fast, enjoyable game compared to Warlords 2.

These are my edited files which overwrite the original, including custom versions of portrait art, unit art, unit statistics, items, spells, hero abilities, rulesets, and random map settings. The files use custom army sets, spells, and items created by others, and additionally contain incredible programs people made for editing the game and art. The download is 12.7 megabytes as of 2021.

This is my custom music playlist which you can drop in the game folder.

DveQwBY.png

EZWAB2A.png

xPIJUev.png

ukB9FeG.png

ntFms4Y.png

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I only played Warlords Battlecry 3, how does it compare with this one, both gameplay-wise and in terms of overall quality? Which games from the 'Warlords' series should I also play?

Black_Willow

Arcane
Warlords 3 was MUCH better than Warlords 2, that's not even a competition.
Warlords 1 and 2 were fairly simplistic, and I say that even though I loved these games as a kid.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And does it have heavy amounts of NSFW content?
It has been literal decades since I last played and my memory might be faulty, but I don't really remember anything NSFW about Warlords 3.

I only played Warlords Battlecry 3, how does it compare with this one, both gameplay-wise and in terms of overall quality? Which games from the 'Warlords' series should I also play?
They have nothing in common except for the name, the setting, and maybe some sprites.

Warlords 1 and 2 were fairly simplistic, and I say that even though I loved these games as a kid.

This is true in one way and completely wrong in another sense.
  • Warlords 3 only allows you 8 units in your whole team. You only get to pick 8 units, and then that's your entire mixture of army choices for the entire game, with chance additions of 4 mercenaries, and 4 hero companions.
  • Warlords 2 has 19 units available to you at any time and 8 chance-based special units, so your army mixture has much more strategic value.
  • Warlords 3 forces you to lose any unit production at a city when you conquer it, unless it's on the small list of 8 units on your team.
  • Warlords 2 allows you to use any unit production at a city when you conquer it, so cities have much more strategic value.
  • Warlords 3 has twice as much unit abilities but no group-bonuses based on the location of your unit.
  • Warlords 2's location-dependent group bonuses create much more strategic value to your unit placement.
  • Warlords 3 has bigger graphics with awesome portraits, and animated units.
  • Warlords 2 in many cases looks classier rather than the cartoonish style of Warlords 3, which has dragons that look like winged dogs.
  • Warlords 3 has a better questing system, AI, incredibly better heroes, music quality, and item diversity, and allows 50 searchable ruins instead of 40.
  • Warlords 2 has a bigger map (!!!), and better questing and victory songs.
  • Warlords 3 has a campaign system and a comprehensive editor, and many more game options.

Black_Willow

Arcane

• Warlords 3 only allows you 8 units in your whole team. You only get to pick 8 units, and then that's your entire mixture of army choices for the entire game, with chance additions of 4 mercenaries, and 4 hero companions.
  • Warlords 2 has 19 units available to you at any time and 8 chance-based special units, so your army mixture has much more strategic value.
  • Warlords 3 forces you to lose any unit production at a city when you conquer it, unless it's on the small list of 8 units on your team.
  • Warlords 2 allows you to use any unit production at a city when you conquer it, so cities have much more strategic value.
  • Warlords 3 has twice as much unit abilities but no group-bonuses based on the location of your unit.
  • Warlords 2's location-dependent group bonuses create much more strategic value to your unit placement.
  • Warlords 2 in many cases looks classier rather than the cartoonish style of Warlords 3, which has dragons that look like winged dogs.
  • Warlords 3 has a better questing system, AI, incredibly better heroes, music quality, and item diversity, and allows 50 searchable ruins instead of 40.
  • Warlords 3 has a campaign system and a comprehensive editor, and many more game options.
The diversity of heroes and their builds in Warlords 3 makes it better by default.
Also, the fact that you, for example, can't summon demons as a faction which is a paladin chapter enforces faction identity.
Also, the economic layer is better in Warlords 3 (AFAIR in Warlords 2 all towns are of the same tier, whereas in Warlords 3 you can upgrade them).

The entire obsession with faction identity is what caused Warlords 3 to lose the unique strategic value it had as a game in Warlords 2. Being able to capture production was an almost entirely unique aspect of Warlords 2. It hasn't been copied by any good TBS game since, but maybe 3 trash games. People are obsessed with identity and I'm sick of it wreaking havoc on every corner of humanity. Was Warlords 3 more fun? Yeah. But it gets fucking boring super fast. You only have 8 units. Warlords 2 has more actual strategy.

Dick

Educated
hmm... what irritated me regarding the design art of Warlords 3 is this, now that every unit is represented by an animated graphic (which in itself is pretty good, but...), so every unit "consists" (albeit only graphically, but still I find it irritating) of one to maybe five units. ok, so far so good.
Let´s take the light and heavy cavalry for example - the heavy cavalry unit (which has a combat strength of 5) is represented by two riders with heavy gear, the light cavalry unit (combat strength 4) is represented by a lone rider with light gear... SO. This means that the one puny rider with his light gear is nearly as strong as those two heavy riders. How do you regard this matter?

It doesn't bother me. I understand that the scale can't be right in a 48x48 sprite, and I'd rather just have a well-drawn graphic than have exact or meaningful scale. Giants, for example, have to fit in the 48x48 square just like everything else. It's nice that they make the other units appear smaller, but I'm glad they're not all 1/2 the size.

mondblut

Arcane

You forgot the most important part: Warlords 2 was about playing on fuckhueg random maps for 8 players, and Warlords 3 is a retarded "campaign" with "scenarios".

Gaznak

Learned
W3 is superior for me mainly because of its vastly upgraded units' skills and bonuses system. Now the battle while still being auto-resolved is much more tactical and nuanced.

almoc

Barely Literate
OP, can you
Greetings, Warlords!

Was Warlords 3 Darklords Rising better than Warlords 2? In a surprising amount of ways, no. But does it still have the best questing system of any fantasy RPG hero-centered turn-based 4x game? Yes it does. And does it have heavy amounts of NSFW content? Also yes. And the music, graphics, spell system, item system, unit diversity, and item capabilities all saw huge upgrades. It's also a surprisingly fast, enjoyable game compared to Warlords 2.

These are my edited files which overwrite the original, including custom versions of portrait art, unit art, unit statistics, items, spells, hero abilities, rulesets, and random map settings. The files use custom army sets, spells, and items created by others, and additionally contain incredible programs people made for editing the game and art. The download is 12.7 megabytes as of 2021.
Can you upload it again?
Mega.nz says file does not exist Anymore. Thx!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom