Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm happy that now even normies want deep RPGs
Normies wouldn't recognize a deep RPG if it hit them in the face. Cyberpunk actually has more "RPG-like elements" than the Witcher 3 for example, yet people clamor that it's not enough of an RPG while giving Witcher a pass. The truth is none of them are RPGs (or good). What they have to clamor for in these abominations is better combat and more build variety. Cyberpunk tried to be everything to everyone and failed spectacularly.

TNO

Augur
[...] I don't recall an enemy with a tech weapon blasting me through my cover. If they could it would be extremely annoying to play (e.g. "enemy tech sniper tracks and starts blasting you from the other side of a building, and there's nowhere you can go where they can't shoot you", "enemy netrunner uploads 'suicide': you die in 10 seconds"). I wonder whether a good rule of game design is "if the game would be stupid if the AI used the same abilities of the player, the game mechanics need work".

Eh? There are actually quite a few snipers who can blast you through cover with Nekomata sniper rifles. Off the top of my head: 1) the sniper at the cop event where there's the Russian chick with the fast movement who was hired by cops to get rid of homeless people (near Cassius' ripperdoc shop), 2) the sniper at the cop event in the city where you have to climb up to a sizeable area where a whole bunch of criminals with a guy who's been stealing from Trauma Team (sometimes there's a Trauma Team AV there), 3) the sniper at the cop event where Biotechnica hired goons are breaking a strike. Quite a lot of them actually. You can tell with them because you see a red laser homing in on you when you're out in the open, and if you sit in any cover for too long they will hit you. It means you can't always sit still behind cover and hack away merrily, you sometimes have to move. It's actually quite a good counter to the OP netrunner problem you talk about, but they don't quite make enough of it.

There was a discussion a while back about the missed opportunity with netrunning, where any sizeable group should have a netrunner you have to have some sort of "duel" with. I would suggest a minigame of Battleships type of thing, or at any rate something to acknowledge that there are netrunners out there who are as good as you are and can give you a run for your money. Some of the enemy netrunners are buried quite deep in their nests and can pump out a steady stream of Overheats - which would be a problem if you didn't have almost infinite health stims. Also, I don't think they have to be jacked into anything, they are mobile with their hacking the same way as you are, and actually do move around sometimes to avoid your hunting them.

Weirdly though, all these enemy netrunner shenanigans are front-loaded, they seem to dwindle away the deeper you get into the game.

My bad, you're right. I didn't remember as this happened to me maybe once per 10 hours or so. Maybe brawlers/guns blazing types see it more often, as stealth/hacking builds will eliminate everyone without them firing a shot. I'd guess the same applies to enemy netrunners (they also gave me more aggravation early game versus later, but I'm not sure how much of that front-loading is due to worsening encounter design or you just become powerful enough to kill everything before they can do anything).

Given the red laser of doom I don't think they exploit the 'I don't need to popamole and can just completely hide behind cover and shoot you'. Tech weapon penetration/penetration definitely needs a rebalance - as far as I can tell tech weapons have ~ infinite penetration (they can't shoot through hills I think, but seem to do any amount of objects). Combined with aforementioned AI weakness, it seems tech builds can just ping everyone then start blasting red silhouettes behind n obstacles/walls/floors/etc.

Agreed entirely the hacking is a huge miss. There are a lot of rich mechanics you could add (breach protocol minigame obviously doesn't count): you could imagine jacking in gives you an avatar in a parallel cyber dungeon you have to navigate to get progressively more access/control, where entrenched/resident netrunners (or hardened systems) have had time to add lots of environmental hazards (cf. black ice), and where enemy success goes from 'enemies now alerted --> enemies know where you are --> enemy netrunner can quickhack you --> enemy netrunner fries you', so there might be a trade off between 'stealthy hacking' versus 'fully pwning the network'. As you say, anything beyond 'I cast a spell on you! ggez' would be welcome, but unfortunately 'anything' would need to be more 'total conversion' than 'mod' (mechanistic gating like this would also mean potentially a lot of rebalancing, given quickhacks can be used similarly well in all situations.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm happy that now even normies want deep RPGs
Normies wouldn't recognize a deep RPG if it hit them in the face.
They often mean something completely different, yes. I didn't watch the video, but it's obvious that this game is at least two games in one, and unfortunately, those two games don't communicate well with each other. For example, when Wakako speaks on the phone to Rogue of "her Claws" (Wakako's) during the main quest, I guess even someone very inattentive (like missing item descriptions that say the same) will notice that this woman who gave him all these gigs claims to be the boss of those people he has been slaughtering by the hundreds up to this point. And then any immersion (probably what most people think of as "RPG") falls apart.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
when Wakako speaks on the phone to Rogue of "her Claws" (Wakako's) during the main quest, I guess even someone very inattentive (like missing item descriptions that say the same) will notice that this woman who gave him all these gigs claims to be the boss of those people he has been slaughtering by the hundreds up to this point.

There's also one quest where she specifically asks you to get something out of a tiger claw compound, and doesn't care if you butcher them by the dozen...

Turjan

Arcane
when Wakako speaks on the phone to Rogue of "her Claws" (Wakako's) during the main quest, I guess even someone very inattentive (like missing item descriptions that say the same) will notice that this woman who gave him all these gigs claims to be the boss of those people he has been slaughtering by the hundreds up to this point.

There's also one quest where she specifically asks you to get something out of a tiger claw compound, and doesn't care if you butcher them by the dozen...
Also Padre is kind of clear. Those people who wrote the main quest obviously saw most fixers as the local gang bosses. Which would actually make sense. The fixers could have simply sent you to a different part of town in order to solve this, but then the the illusion would break as soon as you get a different fixer's quests.

Who knows. Maybe, they planned a pure stealth/netrunner game that avoids all the bloodshed.

Last edited:

msxyz

Augur
The broken mechanics also effectively make the 'open world' concept redundant, because you can go everywhere, but only for sightseeing because in certain areas ALL quests/encounters are tied to a certain level (let's forget for a moment that they're still winnable through exploits). This is retarded because you tie difficulty to locations instead to specific encounter/quest design. In a good open world environment, the game should give you clues or context to decide which encounter is doable and which is not for your level. It's like a fantasy RPG where rats are as powerful as dragons just because they happen to be in a high level area

More like your broken head. "NONONO i want to go into military base at lvl 1 and gundown everyone and everything including tanks ! with my 9mm pistol" " WHY I AM DYING TO TANK ROUNDS !" "HELP OPEN WORLD IS RAPING ME !"

And yes game gives you clues. You have literally build in scanner that shows you if fighting someone is good idea.

World is unscaled which is great. If you want to invert that, Oblivion thread is also somewhere in codex.

World is semi-scaled in a retarded way. One thing is having to wait to do certain missions because they're clearly too difficult for the current level. Another thing is to have every single punk and scav in the area to pack more punch than an Arisaka combat droid just because you happen to be in a 'high level place' This is bad world design pure and simple. They could have disposed of the open world concept entirely because going to certain areas means:

A) very difficult combat with ANY encounter regardless of who you're facing (scav or veteran corpo squad)
and
B) if you're good or lucky enough to win a difficult encounter or to sneak your way into some guarded area, the loot is level locked.

So, goodbye incentive to try your luck against superior opponents or exploration in dangerous areas because you won't get anything good besides the usual junk to recycle. And by the time you get good enough to enter those areas, there's no point in exploring them because you'll find everywhere the same levelled shit.

Perkel

Arcane
Well that part about arasaka is true. But on other hand you don't actually fight arasaka elites in prologue, Arasaka elites are supposed to be people like Goro and those assasins on bikes that chased after you.

Thanks to unleveled world you can take much harder content early testing your build.

In my first playtrough, i often attacked much higher dudes with my netrunner and had to use turrets, cyberpsychosis etc to manage and still i would die a lot.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like either true or some fanboy extreame amount of copium. I also noticed mistake as minor gang wars and events are in game despite post claiming there are none:

SUPPOSEDDEVELOPERINCDPR said:
This is still very hush hush, but I'm fed up with this s*** so I'll disclose a few details.

CDPR hurt themselves to keep investors safe and sound. Now devs are hearing plans of a "No Man's Sky" style comeback due to late June. The first two patches should come out mid-March, despite what's been said by top execs. There will be major departures from the studio in the coming months. Dev morale is on an all time down and Sony is roasting our asses due to the gigantic volume of refund requests. There will be a meeting today with Sony execs to figure out a way to compensate players threatening with legal action. Sony Japan is specially furious.

More to come in the next couple weeks. Feels terrible, man.

There's no finger pointing as of now. Word on memos comes from the top. The directors and senior devs are taking the flak for the team in what I'd call "an honourable move". Just so you know, we still joke about a quest that got rewritten more than a dozen times, because a certain top dog wasn't "feeling it". It ended up being cut from the final product and should come on a later DLC next year.

There's people that get hired for whatever reason and stay in the company due to being "trusted by the top dogs". A good chunk of code is getting scrapped and rewritten from scratch. The intended game might be ready by June 2021.

That's already done and ready since February. It didn't get implemented because of a major UI bug that is still present in the retail copies. If you open your .dat files you'll find a lot of scrapped content still in there.
If you want a refund, please ask for it. It positively impacts us as devs, because we've warned the leads a MILLION times about that kind of s***. Most cosmetic overhauls should be ready by the 2nd big update, hopefully.

The update that is due to June will sort out all of the bugs. The code for the PS4/Xbox One is getting scrapped and done separately. PS5's code is an improvement on the PC due to the awesome dev kit Sony put together for this gen.

You'd be amazed by how much is already done. That "cut content so people finish the main quest" talk was all bulls***. Most apartments with "Closed (locked)" indications used to be lootable, we've scrapped 50,000+ lines of dialogue and I believe the June update will bring a whole lot of cut content back into the game.

Address the cut content as well. If they see that you guys are asking for s*** to be put back into the game, we might actually make the game we intended back in 2018. There used to be a huge underground part of the city that the public never got to see because it "looked ugly" to the execs. It was f***ing awesome and felt like the malkavian/nosferatu path on Vampire the Masquerade.

I don't want to hate on Keanu, but f***ing hell, our original Johnny was way cooler and sounded like a maniac. Think Foltest on crack. I don't appreciate his acting either, but he's a very nice man. Walked up to us personally to greet us on the first day and took time to personally thank us one by one when they wrapped up recording.

The word is his fee was actually manageable and the need for a Star Talent came from outside CDPR. The execs complied, because who the f*** knows? It sucks.

Our original Johnny was heavily inspired by David Hayter's Solid Snake from the first MGS and believe it or not, Cillian Murphy

There was a whole AI routine with minor gang violence in those areas. Stuff you could sit back and watch unfold or directly influence. There was also a lot of drug use with kids that eventually got cut due to inside censorship. There were priests and hare krishna side arcs that got cut due to censorship. Miles wrote a sidequest where a Max Tac officer offed himself and you could take its place but it created such a complex detour from everything tonally that it got cut as well. I hope it comes back, because it felt amazing to get into their headquarters and hack s***. You'd see the police trying to operate and breaking down mid-arrest due to your shenanigans.

Might sound weird, but the disaster launch was actually something beneficial, from our perspective. A cold shower sets priorities straight and so we're able to resume work on what was originally intended without having those f***ers breathing down our necks to publish.

I believe it was due to miscommunication and leads not setting goals like they should. The game was jumbled together for 2019's E3. The last dev comp before the scrap was 160Gb alone. There should be some whistleblowing in the coming weeks if the step downs

Series X was a mere rewrite of code and load orders. Next-gen's architecture is actually very good for ports. It's company policy to release when a game runs without debug hitches and the reason why it did baffles me and is the reason why I started this thread. It's a mix of hubris and deep incompetence from some big names around here. I'm going home for the holidays and really thinking about my friends who will be in the office for the next couple months redoing scrapped work without being able to say "I f***ING TOLD YOU!!! This is your fault, Boss". Next E3 will be bizarre for CDPR, I bet.

We've scrapped two whole arcs because the mission cleaned a save due to a bug with character placement. We've also scrapped a big portion of the underground and sewers because of bugs. Night City had three different types of cab besides Villefort and drivers would hold whole conversations and give quests. That also had to be scrapped.

Police pathfinding script worked wonderfully until somebody screwed the pooch. All I know it is already being fixed. It was a major oversight, of course.

Morgan Blackhand's backstory and a nod to the Coporate Wars. The DLC's will add a lot to the crazy and cool ideas Mike gave us when we began briefing the project. You guys should have the complete game by the end of next year, if everything goes well. I really gotta go now. Take care.

So yeah, the game was butchered

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Looks like either true or some fanboy extreame amount of copium. I also noticed mistake as minor gang wars and events are in game despite post claiming there are none:

Always sceptical of supposed dev leaks like that but there is a fair amount of fluff in the game about not only violence between gangs but also violence between different groups within gangs. Where the 'Wakaka's Claws' matches up with 'she turned up without huscle because only an idiot would kill one of Wakaka's people'. It mirrors the power struggles within the corporations who sponsor the gangs. And I'm inclined to agree that the amount of times Morgan Blackhand is referenced is a fair hint towards something about him coming as DLC later.

Danikas

Arcane
Now devs are hearing plans of a "No Man's Sky" style comeback due to late June. The first two patches should come out mid-March, despite what's been said by top execs. There will be major departures from the studio in the coming months. Dev morale is on an all time down
our-team-morale-is-go5jkfn.jpg

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

SUPPOSEDDEVELOPERINCDPR said:
This is still very hush hush, but I'm fed up with this s*** so I'll disclose a few details.

CDPR hurt themselves to keep investors safe and sound. Now devs are hearing plans of a "No Man's Sky" style comeback due to late June. The first two patches should come out mid-March, despite what's been said by top execs. There will be major departures from the studio in the coming months. Dev morale is on an all time down and Sony is roasting our asses due to the gigantic volume of refund requests. There will be a meeting today with Sony execs to figure out a way to compensate players threatening with legal action. Sony Japan is specially furious.

More to come in the next couple weeks. Feels terrible, man.

There's no finger pointing as of now. Word on memos comes from the top. The directors and senior devs are taking the flak for the team in what I'd call "an honourable move". Just so you know, we still joke about a quest that got rewritten more than a dozen times, because a certain top dog wasn't "feeling it". It ended up being cut from the final product and should come on a later DLC next year.

There's people that get hired for whatever reason and stay in the company due to being "trusted by the top dogs". A good chunk of code is getting scrapped and rewritten from scratch. The intended game might be ready by June 2021.

That's already done and ready since February. It didn't get implemented because of a major UI bug that is still present in the retail copies. If you open your .dat files you'll find a lot of scrapped content still in there.
If you want a refund, please ask for it. It positively impacts us as devs, because we've warned the leads a MILLION times about that kind of s***. Most cosmetic overhauls should be ready by the 2nd big update, hopefully.

The update that is due to June will sort out all of the bugs. The code for the PS4/Xbox One is getting scrapped and done separately. PS5's code is an improvement on the PC due to the awesome dev kit Sony put together for this gen.

You'd be amazed by how much is already done. That "cut content so people finish the main quest" talk was all bulls***. Most apartments with "Closed (locked)" indications used to be lootable, we've scrapped 50,000+ lines of dialogue and I believe the June update will bring a whole lot of cut content back into the game.

Address the cut content as well. If they see that you guys are asking for s*** to be put back into the game, we might actually make the game we intended back in 2018. There used to be a huge underground part of the city that the public never got to see because it "looked ugly" to the execs. It was f***ing awesome and felt like the malkavian/nosferatu path on Vampire the Masquerade.

I don't want to hate on Keanu, but f***ing hell, our original Johnny was way cooler and sounded like a maniac. Think Foltest on crack. I don't appreciate his acting either, but he's a very nice man. Walked up to us personally to greet us on the first day and took time to personally thank us one by one when they wrapped up recording.

The word is his fee was actually manageable and the need for a Star Talent came from outside CDPR. The execs complied, because who the f*** knows? It sucks.

Our original Johnny was heavily inspired by David Hayter's Solid Snake from the first MGS and believe it or not, Cillian Murphy

There was a whole AI routine with minor gang violence in those areas. Stuff you could sit back and watch unfold or directly influence. There was also a lot of drug use with kids that eventually got cut due to inside censorship. There were priests and hare krishna side arcs that got cut due to censorship. Miles wrote a sidequest where a Max Tac officer offed himself and you could take its place but it created such a complex detour from everything tonally that it got cut as well. I hope it comes back, because it felt amazing to get into their headquarters and hack s***. You'd see the police trying to operate and breaking down mid-arrest due to your shenanigans.

Might sound weird, but the disaster launch was actually something beneficial, from our perspective. A cold shower sets priorities straight and so we're able to resume work on what was originally intended without having those f***ers breathing down our necks to publish.

I believe it was due to miscommunication and leads not setting goals like they should. The game was jumbled together for 2019's E3. The last dev comp before the scrap was 160Gb alone. There should be some whistleblowing in the coming weeks if the step downs

Series X was a mere rewrite of code and load orders. Next-gen's architecture is actually very good for ports. It's company policy to release when a game runs without debug hitches and the reason why it did baffles me and is the reason why I started this thread. It's a mix of hubris and deep incompetence from some big names around here. I'm going home for the holidays and really thinking about my friends who will be in the office for the next couple months redoing scrapped work without being able to say "I f***ING TOLD YOU!!! This is your fault, Boss". Next E3 will be bizarre for CDPR, I bet.

We've scrapped two whole arcs because the mission cleaned a save due to a bug with character placement. We've also scrapped a big portion of the underground and sewers because of bugs. Night City had three different types of cab besides Villefort and drivers would hold whole conversations and give quests. That also had to be scrapped.

Police pathfinding script worked wonderfully until somebody screwed the pooch. All I know it is already being fixed. It was a major oversight, of course.

Morgan Blackhand's backstory and a nod to the Coporate Wars. The DLC's will add a lot to the crazy and cool ideas Mike gave us when we began briefing the project. You guys should have the complete game by the end of next year, if everything goes well. I really gotta go now. Take care.

So yeah, the game was butchered

Source?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

So it was a Alien Colonial Marines-esque bug? Lol, okay that's believable. How do you not notice the police teleporting everywhere? Testers on this game must've been overwhelmed.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
1.07 patch soon? They say the 1.06 was 18gigs? about 1/3 game size? Are all the patches that big?

Perkel

Arcane
So it was a Alien Colonial Marines-esque bug? Lol, okay that's believable. How do you not notice the police teleporting everywhere? Testers on this game must've been overwhelmed.

Maybe they played like me effectively never killing civilians ? In my first play trough i only i think once had scuff with police, i run away quickly and that was that. Even on my 2nd playtrough i never attack civ because there is no reason for it.

dunno. By the time i saw it on some board i couldn't find source. So maybe 4chan, gamefaq or whatever. Some of the stuff feels weird like "scrapping ps4/one code" which never happens just like that in dev.

Poles cannot write that good coherent english and always have to outsource to translate their gibberish so this pasta is 100% fake.

CDPR is not 100% pole anymore. There are plenty of foreign devs. For example for their guns they scooped CSGO lead gameplay dev

1.07 patch soon? They say the 1.06 was 18gigs? about 1/3 game size? Are all the patches that big?

What patch. DLC motherfucker. Who needs patches when you can have DLC.

DID YOU FORGET ?!!
F R E E DLC

Patches are big because they packed all the stuff into huge files for HDD to have chance to play it. So anytime there is an update you are downloading huge file to be replaced.

On other hand pirates can have 500mb patches because they are free to make dif patches unlike steam/gog and rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom