Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's command Codexers in Syrian Warfare and crush Daesh

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Seems like my immediate area is clear. Jump into Strange Farouwk's apc with my squads then and head towards action!
Not sure what Strange Farouwk did to you, but saying his T55A is an APC is sure an insulting thought.

To be honest, since they are 2 left in a 4-crew tank, they could theorically carrry a Sniper Team, but not in the game :)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What he actually means:

soviet-tank-troops-soldiers-prague-BX51J7.jpg

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems like my immediate area is clear. Jump into Strange Farouwk's apc with my squads then and head towards action!
Not sure what Strange Farouwk did to you, but saying his T55A is an APC is sure an insulting thought.
Yeah, how dare he call my, uh, tank an... um... other thing. The nerve!

Nevertheless, I shall allow it. He may ride. Or is it not possible? Whatever.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So this is the orders I have so far. I had to do some creative interpretation sometimes.

dbN7D1C.png

YREjANe.png

1SGxtme.png

Missing Azira , SmartCheetah and I suspect it is the moment where Commissar Draco says he wants to liberate the prisoners :).

Missing as well which "front" Sukhāvatī will support.

Also, bonus gif since I know how to make them : destruction of the T-62 and death of one of Azira's men :

r66HUB6.gif

Andnjord

Arcane
Seeing that Strange Farouwk is pushing, then, assuming the northern flank is clear:
-Wait for him in the dug-out then move in front of him to screen his advance. He might be a mithli aljins, but he still has Allah's favour, but who knows how long it will last.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
XV. The great counter-attack

Lots and lots of screenshoot, so spoiler tags

We start with the assault toward the North-West. Andnjord's repositionning allows him to spot the enemy artillery, which immediately engages... Strange Farouwk that got seen one way or another :

P1lCkdH.png

F0UuChz.png

Strange Farouwk shoots, and almost kills Andjnord as the shell hits the dug-out :

ln1oaat.png

The artillery shoots again, misses, and is permanently erased by Strange Farouwk.

xRYJknq.png

ngIcF3T.png

FOTmVxe.png

As you can see, Imam Draco arrived on the scene, but shot at some target in the back. Indeed, he had spotted a group of hostiles inside the base, in a trench in the North, and he will be allocated to them until the end of this action :

BE4Yf9R.png

Meanwhile in the South, Azira and darkpatriot gets closer to the wadi, not seeing anything :

YwY7vtJ.png

mondblut's BMP-1 and SmartCheetah T72A then moves toward the bridge, and destroy a technical and some survivors from the prior engagement :

ZpCWfrJ.png

Darkpatriot crosses the wadi without incident. His BTR-80 moves in support.

ogHtntB.png

BhPOdHJ.png

Back to the "main" front, everyone is pushing to the next step : a group of three houses on the other side of a large area without cover :

W2s7ise.png

The only opposition is an enemy technical. It takes some time to destroy though, as Catacombs' troops are clearly untrained with their new recoiless rifle and Strange Farouwk keeps missing for some reason :

4t2wbwc.png

VcDU1Vd.png

XEw9GiZ.png

[that last shoot actually landed a couple meters in front of the technical]
eUAycGe.png

Finally Strange Farouwk lands a hit :

IzI5H79.png

A bunch of infantry also arrives, but it is mowed down by Andnjord and Strange Farouwk :

8OO470X.png

During that time, Endemic , Ol' Willy and Kalarion , who were transporting Egosphere , vazha and MoistCloister West, meet an enemy patrol. The patrol runs away straight into CappenVarra who finishes off the last survivor :

vNcxRvg.png

euaj4yu.png

CappenVarra was a bit isolated between the two forces because he was trying to occupy a building between the main road and the group of buildings where Andnjord/Catacombs/Strange Farouwk are occupying.

u9pe03E.png

MW0wAoM.png

Sadly, heavy mortar fire forced him to abandon it to join up with Dayyalu :

ZrGAU0m.png

N4AqF5K.png

Moving back to the Southern front, Darkpatriot still does not meet anyone, and he now moves toward the bridge of sort that the armors have crossed :

N4AqF5K.png

9WYJwrF.png

Z1jz2fb.png
Objective occupied ! Our flag now flies here !
SsNAvyJ.png
How did you fly a flag from inside your BMP ?
Z1jz2fb.png
eerr ! Allah provides !

The flag raising is rudely interrupted by a few guys shooting with small arms on SmartCheetah, who is out on the turret manning the T72A Dushka :
ZvEH8j1.png

Not for long :
kIZVmcL.png

SmartCheetah then pivots to the last building not secured on this side of the wadi : the one where a BMP-1 had been spotted :
LV78nzS.png

9HKhWU4.png

Meawhile, a group of Daesh criminals emerges from Ravenloft's the mist right next to our group, sans T72. darkpatriot has just embarked to be reallocated to another front, and Mondblut is supporting SmartCheetah, so the BTR-80 is the only initial resistance

m8VSCev.png

Darkpatriot disembarks in haste as a RPG-7 is shot toward his BTR :

QjUgyWL.png

MzZTVmp.png

Two other rockets miss SmartCheetah :
6g4QGPf.png

That's all that will happen for the moment. The attackers are now under fire from all our assets, and are killed in a few seconds :

hivrmR7.png

While the BTR-80 is getting repaired (clearly the crew was packing an extra engine in the trunk, you know, just in case), darkpatriot is moving to secure the last building :

JaqZoIY.png

From mission briefing, the task force commanders remembered there were some infantry next to the bridge, so it is time to avenge the first death of Vazha's squad, several turns before :

kY5Xqww.png

mM7jZ4B.png

In a few seconds, the ghastly task was done.

The Southern target is not definitely secur...

m3ta0IN.png

4NhrY7w.png

mondblut's driver is instantly killed by the T62 machine-gun (the shell seems to have missed)...

... but not Mondblut, who is personally manning the ATGM :

Kf5VzJ1.png

h3PktvX.png

And just like that, the key asset of the enemy counter-counter attack had been destroyed.

The combat was still tense, as a rocket disabled the BTR-80, forcing the crew out :

juzFMdL.png

NR1ToY5.png

Mondblut shoots his last ATGM toward the BMP-1 :

krmJLVm.png

iRIGMVB.png

There is still a lot of enemy infantry. Intense gunfight ensues.

eHGumX1.png

paU3M3z.png

With SmartCheetah's T72 coming back, the tide quickly turns :

rMGRcwR.png

HE shells for some :

ohPqke8.png

HE shells for others :

WCcPQO3.png

And some machine-gunning, too :
wtuEITU.png

The enemy manages to hit the T72A twice on the turret, with no effect :

oN21Jj4.png

The last hostiles are killed. Moving behind the building, SmartCheetah spots someone repairing the T72, but he makes sure it cannot be repaired - ever :

OhbiPfC.png

E4idZtG.png

This time, the position is truly ours.

Now we are moving to the last offensive for the turn : the Ol'Willy / Kalarion / Helly, now heavily reinforced :

aU73TwF.png

Remember the ATGM that hit Dayyalu a long time ago and that I thought was destroyed ? Well, it is still there. With a bunch of mortars, too

5ZuWgJp.png

N7J2GVG.png

7icyjKZ.png

Once again, the front engine of the BMP-1 saved part of the crew, and Egosphere's squads, as only one of Ol' Willy's crewmembers died. Meanwhile, Endemic rushes to cover to drop his own load of men :
0CSrLIN.png

IKvnYrh.png

Checking a bit this Shrödinger ATGM mystery, I checked the angle of view it had, and indeed it has a large deadzones which was used by Dayyalu when retreating :

uCvseVC.png

In any case, it is assault time ! 13 men [Helli and Egosphere' teams] while Vazha and Moistcloister [also 13 men] take position in the building next to Endemic :

AZasAiY.png

The assault seems daring, but a close observation of the enemy line shows only an handful of them have assault rifles, the others don't have much to stop a human wave :

Y4aF8Vs.png

The enemy is quickly suppressed by Egosphere RPG, shoots Vazha/Moistcloister on the roof, and Kalerion in the back :
xmStUjR.png

Pu5B6jG.png

Enemy rockets and mortars are still landing close to us, but not close ENOUGH :

Jz3dIU3.png

dcmoVpI.png

VKLbqSG.png

Egosphere and Helli reach the buildings !

xLdxWqz.png

From there, the mortars are eliminated :
Mt3gkuy.png

Sukhavathi joins the party, but misses his shells agaiinst the ATGM :
VTq8nwh.png

We will have to assault the building with the ATGM servants :

AS2nWOb.png

0YrFj1F.png

One grenade is thrown by Egosphere from the ground floor to the first floor, killing the ATGM crew :

YLPyuyd.png

In the back, Vazha and Moistcloister move to complete the occupation of the row of flats :

rKpFery.png

There is a group of enemies, including mortars, in the field on the side. Range is a bit far for our militia to be efficient ...

Tw016Wi.png

But there were a few people that we all had forgotten - including me - in range : Dayyālu and CappenVarra :

74MauFX.png

o5w4g7S.png

CP8RyfO.png

As you can see, Ol' Willy is also using the mandatory extra engine in the trunk to replace the one that stopped an ATGM missile ^^ . I would have prefered if the game considered "destroyed" components as non-repairable in the field, as in Theater of War.

We stop here, in a very nice position.

This is attack force next to the last target :

Dzq40Re.png

I moved everyone (including Sergiu for instance) close the front for what may be the last part of this battle

Meanwhile, the Southern target is in our hands :

0ARIpHb.png

I checked a bit and the enemy will "spawn" troops regularly to try to take that target, so the Southern group [Mondblut, darkpatriot, Smartcheetah and Azira] will not be able to give orders until I bring the reinforcements...

... because yes, I received more reinforcement, all ValeVelKal controlled that will relieve the Southern group with something that the enemy has no chance to win against.

5RDiTaE.png

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
After burning through 2 vehicles, inflicting immeasurable losses on the enemy (including tanks!) and seeing a fine disabled tank getting whacked by overzealous comrades instead of, you know, machinegunning the shaitans who were repairing it, I believe I deserve a proper new tank to call my own. The best one out there.

(I take it my current guy is all alone and, without a driver, can't do shit except for dying with glory?)

ValeVelKal

Arcane
After burning through 2 vehicles, inflicting immeasurable losses on the enemy (including tanks!) and seeing a fine disabled tank getting whacked by overzealous comrades instead of, you know, machinegunning the shaitans who were repairing it, I believe I deserve a proper new tank to call my own. The best one out there.

(I take it my current guy is all alone and, without a driver, can't do shit except for dying with glory?)
You still are 2 out of 3 so you can drive and shoot. Not sure what the third guy is doing in a BMP. I guess it was not modelled. Your BMP-1 is still standing.
I really wanted to recover the T62 but the AI auto-shoots on vehicles being repaired and it went to fast for me too stop SmartCheetah from shooting

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
You still are 2 out of 3 so you can drive and shoot. Not sure what the third guy is doing in a BMP. I guess it was not modelled. Your BMP-1 is still standing.

The BMP-1 has a driver, commander and gunner. The driver and commander are sat at the front near the engine. I don't know if the game represents this, but IRL losing the commander would result in lowered situational awareness (the commander's vision devices cover a wider arc than the gunner's) and reduced ability to respond to orders (the gunner has stuff to do besides use a radio, after all).

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
good call with the spoilers :thumbsup:

Dzq40Re.png

seeing everyone bunched up in a neat shell-friendly target gives me the heebie jeebies even if it's not a risk now when the fun is almost over

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You still are 2 out of 3 so you can drive and shoot.

Oh. I thought a Grad crew is only 2 men. Makes sense, it needs a lot of people to reload it.
The game simplifies and standardizes all "tank crews" (which actually is IFV/tanks/artillery) to 3 people. Similarly, all vehicles have 2 crewmen, even when say the BTR-80 should have 3.

Unlike the "you can repair your engine on the field", I am pretty OK with this simplification.

mondblut

Arcane
Right... Can I reload the ATGM anywhere? At this point I'm only good against naked and unarmed shaitans.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Right... Can I reload the ATGM anywhere? At this point I'm only good against naked and unarmed shaitans.
No more supply trucks, so you are back to being like Endemic, or rather Ol' Willy given both of you have a reduced crew.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom