Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best remake / reboot

Ok most of these game are terrbile and ends up with dumbing down overall experiance but what about that few ones that are better then source material or just do not bring shame to the franchise? My top 3:

1. Mortal Kombat 9 - bringing back MKTrilogy into modern times, great complex mechanics and insanely good story mode. I can totally understand if some dudes will put it above 2D MK games (MK-MKT).

2. Resident Evil REmake - orginial RE is best gaem in entire (vastly overrated) franshise and this is the best version - better controls, stunning graphics (best looking Gamecube geam no doubt) and quality new content.

3. Dune 2000 - it's basically standole Dune 2 mod for Red Alert, nuff said. Again, gorgeus 2D visuals and quality OST makes it an ultimate Dune title - and I mean PC version, not that butt-ugly PSX port.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
REmake 1 is up there as well as REmake 2. Other than those, I can't think of any other remake. I've never played the Twin Snakes even though MGS series was my favorite as a kid, so I can't say one way or another if it's better than the original.

Ocelot

Learned
My experience is limited but my favorite remakes were these of Resident Evil 2 and Halo 2.

DonGabo

Novice
Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Overload, if it can be considered a Descent remaster/remake.

Spyro and Crash's trilogies.

Age of empires 2 DE. Special :deadhorse: award, for being a remake of a remake. It fixes everything the "HD" version broke.

Kwota

Augur
The only good thing about Dune 2000 was John-Rhys Davies as house atreides mentat. Game was shite on release.

Deleted member 7219

I won't include games that have improved substantially from the original release through patches/updates/DLCs/expansions. I will stay true to the thread title which is a remake or reboot.

To qualify, it must have a new engine, or have so much of an overhaul to almost every system in the game that it can be considered to be essentially remade from the ground up.

I'm not going to include "HD editions" of games that essentially run on the same engine, enhanced editions, director's cuts or GOTY editions that vastly expand the original content (honorable mentions that are not on this list include The Witcher, The Witcher 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut, Resident Evil 4 HD, Morrowind GOTY, Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and subsequent expansions, the excellent PC ports of the Trails games, The Last of Us for PS4, Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection, Halo 2 Anniversary and countless others I could mention).

So here's my list, to be added to over time as I remember things I forgot and steal good suggestions from others:
  • Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection - a real technical achievement. I don't quite understand how they managed it
  • The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2 - same as above - the ability to toggle between old mode and new graphics is a nod to the purists out there
  • TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM (95) - this is so much fucking better than the original it physically hurts me when people talk about playing the original floppy game instead of this. Exactly the same as the original game, only with updated graphics, music, voiceovers, cutscenes, bonus objectives (therefore higher difficulty) and extra campaigns
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary - the exact same gameplay, level design and art direction of the original, but with updated graphics and an excellent commentary
  • Resident Evil (remake) - it stays true to the gameplay of the original while improving absolutely everything else. Only trolls can say the original PS version is better (because it truly isn't)
  • Resident Evil 2 (remake) - I can understand why people like the original (the difference between the original RE and the reboot RE, and the original RE2 and this RE2 are less profound), but I thought it was pretty damn good

Last edited by a moderator:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
VGA versions of Police Quest. Totally, totally forgot about those. No reason to play the original, really, unless you get a kick out of typing up shit.

Neuromancer

Augur
Tomb Raider Anniversary - the exact same gameplay, level design and art direction of the original, but with updated graphics and an excellent commentary
I liked Tomb Raider Anniversary as a remake, but I disagree on your points.
The gameplay and level design differs a lot from the original Tomb Raider.

Especially the last level (Atlantis) is extremely short compared to the original and seems crippled - I had the impression they kind of ran out of money or time to finish the game at the end.
Also the art design of that last level is completely different. The original had organic pulsating walls which are absent in Anniversary,

Neuromancer

Augur
VGA versions of Police Quest. Totally, totally forgot about those. No reason to play the original, really, unless you get a kick out of typing up shit.
Might as well mention the other Sierra VGA remakes:
- Space Quest I
- Leisure Suit Larry I
- Quest for Glory I

Deleted member 7219

Tomb Raider Anniversary - the exact same gameplay, level design and art direction of the original, but with updated graphics and an excellent commentary

Especially the last level (Atlantis) is extremely short compared to the original and seems crippled - I had the impression they kind of ran out of money or time to finish the game at the end.
Also the art design of that last level is completely different. The original had organic pulsating walls which are absent in Anniversary,

Ok points taken, I dislike Atlantis though (played it a lot on original and Unfinished Business, and prefer Anniversary’s take).

Machocruz

Arcane

Ok points taken, I dislike Atlantis though (played it a lot on original and Unfinished Business, and prefer Anniversary’s take).
Also I don't know if you'd call this art direction or the benefits of a technical limitation, but in the original things in the distance are shrouded in blackness, which made the spaces feel larger than those in Anniversary even though they weren't.

Neuromancer

Augur
Also I don't know if you'd call this art direction or the benefits of a technical limitation, but in the original things in the distance are shrouded in blackness, which made the spaces feel larger than those in Anniversary even though they weren't.
In some cases you might be correct. For example the main room of the Colosseum seems bigger in the original, while it is probably the same size in Anniversary.
And the level St. Francis Folly is indeed bigger and more elaborated in Anniversary (and better in my opinion.)

But most of the levels are slightly smaller and simplified - especially the Cistern, which was quite tricky in original Tomb Raider.

And as I mentioned, Atlantis is defenitely much shorter in Anniversary. And that is not an optical trick of the graphics engine (or limitation).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Resident Evil (remake) - it stays true to the gameplay of the original while improving absolutely everything else. Only trolls can say the original PS version is better (because it truly isn't)

The remake of the first game is pretty much the textbook example of how a remake should be done.

The story was extended slightly with respectful additions and the plastering over of a few plot holes, but without any major changes to theme or greater canon.

It also looked amazing for its time, and, thanks to the pre-rendered look, still looks good now.

It was also good how they subverted a bunch of the iconic sequences from the original, such as changing the dog hallway slightly.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The Shadowgate remake is a good one.
ss_9df0ecbb23bb63ad6fa992e6d2678c610ed7de4e.1920x1080.jpg

ferratilis

Magister
REmake
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Destroy All Humans

After playing these, it's hard to go back to the original games because remakes completely surpass them. That's what a good remake should be imo. Don't fuck with the original gameplay/atmosphere, just bring it to modern standards and maybe add a thing or two. On the other hand, Black Mesa and REmake 2 are great, but not better than the original games. That's not bad, because instead of one great game you get two that can be played back to back. Can't complain about that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake) is great, it's free and it's actually better than the official remake of Metroid II, Metroid: Samus Returns by Nintendo :lol:

Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire remake by AGD Interactive, is also free and it's a very nice improvement in every department over the original EGA game.

The kickstarted Shadowgate remake is also pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom