Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an old game to you?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Anything before 2000 is old.

So are you guys saying that a car that is twenty years old is not old? So games that are from the 90's are not old? Do you guys realize you are also 30 plus year old men that are getting old?

The individual car is old, but would a car from 2000 be considered jurassic?

Important detail that a game doesn't age like a car does. The code works just as well (or badly lol) today as it did then, althrough there might be compatibility problems, its the enviroment around it that changed, not the code itself.

Nobody said ancient they said old. This is that pedantry shit I was talking about.

This is the new "What is a RPG?" thread.

KK1001

Arbiter
Anything prior to the release of the original Doom is "old" to me.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Right there. 1994. If that does not seem old to you then you are in denial or some shit. If you break out your SNES and think "This crumbling yellow piece of plastic is not old" then you are weird.

DemonKing

Arcane
Tennis for Two of course:

CourteousDetailedCondor.webp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_for_Two

Seriously though when I think old I think pre-C64/Apple II days, cause if I admitted those games were old I'd have to admit I'm old...

Norfleet

An old game is one where I have to torture it to make it run on my computer. If I have to fiddle with emulators, virtual machines, compatibility patches and settings, or whatnot, it's old.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That reminds me of having to run Nocturne on Windows XP. MUST BE SOME KIND OF OLD GAME.

Lemming42

Arcane
Anything older than 10 years is old, but obviously there are degrees of oldness. Anything before 1995 is "ancient", I guess. Chose 1995 because it marks the start of the Playstation/Windows era, which I just can't conceptualise as "ancient" even though it was 26 years ago.

It's tricky to do, but you've got to constantly update your mind to get some perspective on how long has actually passed. I remember the release of Half-Life 2 like it was yesterday, but no, it's almost 17 years ago now and it'd be ridiculous to claim that wasn't a long time ago. There are babies born after Half-Life 2 came out who can now legally fuck, in the UK at least. That's an old game.

The one that really messes me up is to realise that New Vegas is now over a decade old. That's bullshit, it came out like, 5 years ago max. But no, it's going to be 11 years old this year. Have to move with the times.

Corvinus

Arcane
I still don't think that answered the question. A game does not stop being old because you like the type of game it is. The 90's is not yesterday but it is old ENOUGH to drink.

If you never stopped playing these games, and if those that came after really couldn't beat them, it is difficult to find them old and obsolete. Some years ago I put together a top-of-the-line computer, just because I could, but looking at what I have installed it's almost exlusively games from the 90s, some of which would run smoothly on a 386...

If you weren't born when these games first came out, I can understand though. And pity you!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I still don't think that answered the question. A game does not stop being old because you like the type of game it is. The 90's is not yesterday but it is old ENOUGH to drink.

If you never stopped playing these games, and if those that came after really couldn't beat them, it is difficult to find them old and obsolete. Some years ago I put together a top-of-the-line computer, just because I could, but looking at what I have installed it's almost exlusively games from the 90s, some of which would run smoothly on a 386...

If you weren't born when these games first came out, I can understand though. And pity you!

See this is the problem with you fucks. I am 35. I never stopped playing these games. I just don't have the cognitive dissonance to think just because I still play them they suddenly stop being old. Really you guys are getting old and need to get the fuck over it.

Corvinus

Arcane

See this is the problem with you fucks. I am 35. I never stopped playing these games. I just don't have the cognitive dissonance to think just because I still play them they suddenly stop being old. Really you guys are getting old and need to get the fuck over it.

Maybe you just like shit, then. No offense intended, just an observation (It's the Codex after all).

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I think you guys are using the word old in a different way. Do you mean dated? Either way your implication that I like shit games is gay and has nothing to do with the AGE OF THE FUCKING GAMES YOU FUCKING MORONS I HATE YOU ALL I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE.....goodnight folks.

Corvinus

Arcane
I think you guys are using the word old in a different way. Do you mean dated? Either way your implication that I like shit games is gay and has nothing to do with the AGE OF THE FUCKING GAMES YOU FUCKING MORONS I HATE YOU ALL I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE.....goodnight folks.

To be fair that is usually how the word old is used when it comes to games. Old as in obsolete. If you meant old as in number of years then yes of course I'd agree with you - who wouldn't - 80s/90s games aren't new.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Note that, as a way to generate 2D images that are then displayed on your 2D screen 3D graphics advantages are only really visible in motion as it allows stuff to move, rotate and scale smoothly and in arbitrary manner. And that strength is only really harnessed if the game mechanics and movement itself is 3D, so it's not surprising that the games that look the best in 3D are those that play in 3D as well.

Yes, that's why I love early 3D nowadays and really appreciate the genres that make full use of all three dimensions. As I said in my post, it took Morrowind and the FPS genre to make me appreciate 3D. Other games like Tomb Raider were fun back in the day too, and that one is pretty much a 3D puzzle-platformer where 90% of the gameplay is focused around navigating a 3D space. Not to mention I FUCKING LOVE THIEF for its level design.

But back when most of the genres I played had 2D gameplay, the shift to 3D was completely jarring. What benefit does a point and click adventure or an isometric CRPG gain from going 3D? Usually they just looked much worse than their 2D predecessors without gaining any advantages of the third dimension gameplay-wise.

Vapid

Learned
The whole discussion reminds me of this:

3ba970bb2bbd1a4f2f0f91878c26ab2b.jpg

Come to think of it, 80% of discussions on Codex boil down to this shit right there.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
80s - ancient
90s - old
00 - dated
10 - recent
20 - new

Is dated more or less than old in English? If so swap 90s and 00s

Vatnik Wumao
Is dated more or less than old in English?
Calling a game dated is a qualitative statement while calling it old is a (chronologically) quantitative one. Even a contemporary game can be considered dated (e.g. complaints about games that have been long in production and end up being dated compared to other contemporary releases).

DeepOcean

Arcane

Come to think of it, 80% of discussions on Codex boil down to this shit right there.
Nah, in the 90's and 2000's, the likes of Activision and EA were publishing games like Blood Omen, Bloodlines and alot of innovative games and etc. Nowdays, pretty much all publishers are just releasing the same game every year that is just a disguised online cassino to exploit children and people with poor impulse control. The indies, most of them are just trying to ressurect shit that was common on the 90's at great effort.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
They have always done that. Did you ever see Mario or Contra clones? Did you guys ever notice how all those blobbers you like are the same? FPS games in the 90's were all the same in a different way than they are now.

The only new thing is microtransactions and that is now in everything.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
They have always done that. Did you ever see Mario or Contra clones? Did you guys ever notice how all those blobbers you like are the same? FPS games in the 90's were all the same in a different way than they are now.

The only new thing is microtransactions and that is now in everything.

Yeah you are probably right NO guy. The gaming industry was just so fucking creative until you stopped being 12.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I can't really relate to this.
Best period for games was around 2000.
Best period for music was early 1970s.
For book and movies I don't have a narrow era of preference.

If you happen to be 12 in the '60s, '70s, or '90s pop culture probably was better when you were 12.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom