Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to enjoy Morrowind?

Curratum

The solution is simple - time-travel back to 2002.

Molina

Savant
The simplest way is to install MGSO

fuck off retard
TBF, I installed MGSO years ago (with rebuild, rebirth and many others mods) and I don't want to unstall it, I'm too afraid of provoking a nuclear attack from China and not being able to reinstall all the mods. But... From what I've noticed, my Morrowind, after 130 hours, is not really having a problem. I must have crashed three times in a row and crashed ten times when I quit the application.

At the time, it was also a good way to play the same game without repeating the same game. Knowing that I had to play it... 500 hours when I was a kid.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For my last playthrough I used the guide on tesgeneral with a few changes here and there, worked out pretty well save for a few missing world meshes for armor parts. I should have installed something for the economy though.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
With enough painkillers and vodka, vanilla Morrowind looks amazing.

yes

Upd: sorry, wrong pic

hqdefault.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Once TR is finished with the mainland, somebody will need to put that into skyrim.

Funposter

Arcane

I was really impressed with this. As a big-time Morrowind autist, I think there were only a couple of things he got wrong or skipped over. Every other Morrowind video on youtube is an abomination from brainlets who somehow manage to misunderstand it, so it was really nice to listen to a video from somebody who has clearly invested hundreds of hours into the game. Just compare it to that abortion from Salt Factory, who installed MGSO and complained that faction questlines and even the main quest had the audacity to intersect. He even got a lot of his footage from the original Xbox, which everybody knows is the most powerful and prestigious console of all time.

Play ESO instead It has complete Morrowind not only Vanderfell Island.
Obviously this is a troll post, but ESO doesn't even have the complete mainland of Morrowind. It has two regions of the mainland, which is significantly less than Tamriel Rebuilt and for a multitude of very obvious reasons, TR is a far more enjoyable way of experiencing it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm trying to enjoy Morrowind but i cannot find any fun, I have to walk everywhere very slowly and it takes ages to get anywhere, and when I'm there, i'm out of stamina for combat and now I have to wait ages again for stamina to regenerate.

What am I doing wrong ?

You just dislike shit games, that's fine.
Morrowind is good only for lorefags and people who enjoy breaking games that have no challenge to begin with.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There is some truth to that. Morrowind is a walkyready game. If you can't enjoy it without mods in any way, mods will fix nothing. Only way to have any challenge in game is creating it by yourself as well. Modders have no idea what they are doing most of the time, and are just enjoying playing with new scripts and digging wider instead of deeper. The crowd for making mods also changed as compared to release, and a lot of mods actively make game easier, instead of harder, or just focus on quality of life changes - because certainly I need all of these alchemy sorting stuff, because I can't remember that rice and marshmerrow restore health or can't just put my ingredients into 2-3 separate crates. None of these mods will ultimately make quests you're doing or NPCs talking to more interesting. Or more challenging. Like, let me give you an example there. In my current pl I installed not one, not two, but three economy mods. What it means in common words is orc armor sells for 60 gold, daedric stuff for let's say 500 gold. I am now levels 40ish with most skills at 90+ and built fortress and 30k-ish gold I have nothing to spend on. Why? Because it doesn't matter if this stuff costs that much, because there are dozens of orcs there, more daedric weapons than needed, and thousands upon thousands of scrolls, gems, and glass mines with loot to casually sell, as well as quest rewards. What does it matter if you install survive mod with backpacks, if distance between locations in Morrowind is so small you need a few minutes to walk between cities, and there are three teleport spells? And adding more monsters to whack as a challenge doesn't create challenge either.

You can, of course, create a total cascade of mods trying to fix every hole in the game and add a limit to everything to a game which, by design, was created in a different time, when gamers didn't really care about limits that much, but the fact that Morrowind is something that has to be remade from ground up, will never go away, and you can spare a lot of time by just not using that Restoration school trick or skill instead - it takes zero time and zero mods to do that.

Funposter

Arcane
In my current pl I installed not one, not two, but three economy mods. What it means in common words is orc armor sells for 60 gold, daedric stuff for let's say 500 gold. I am now levels 40ish with most skills at 90+ and built fortress and 30k-ish gold I have nothing to spend on. Why? Because it doesn't matter if this stuff costs that much, because there are dozens of orcs there, more daedric weapons than needed, and thousands upon thousands of scrolls, gems, and glass mines with loot to casually sell, as well as quest rewards. What does it matter if you install survive mod with backpacks, if distance between locations in Morrowind is so small you need a few minutes to walk between cities, and there are three teleport spells? And adding more monsters to whack as a challenge doesn't create challenge either.
The thing is that no amount of mods will ever make Morrowind challenging in the conventional sense. What you're actually doing is just delaying the point at which the player crosses the power threshold and becomes and unstoppable demigod. A less broken economy + Morrowind Anti-Cheese means you can't immediately train yourself up by 10 levels at the start of the game by selling Swords of White Woe, repairing that Glass Dagger etc. You can't immediately rush to Ibar-Dad and grab all of the Daedric gear there in addition to Eleidon's Ward, because you need to dodge an extra two Dremora Lords at the vault instead of just the Golden Saint. Something like Beware the Sixth House means that you're a little less likely to rush through Sixth House bases early on, which definitely gates off Ilunibi and Koguruhn in the Main Quest. It's more about just putting extra roadblocks in the way of the player getting amazing gear and enchantments so that you need to work a little bit to break the game, instead of it happening totally by accident as in vanilla. As you said, a not-broken Morrowind would require an entire rework from the ground up, but then it wouldn't be the same game and it arguably wouldn't be as much fun.

Edit: it should also be noted that by level 40, the game is well and truly over. If your skills are all at 90+, you should be off playing the expansion content.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well thing is, I can't say I suffered so much by lowering the price of all items by about ONE HUNDRED times. I played normally but just the amount of items and way you handle them means you end up with tons of cash anyway. Meanwhile, modders autistically argue over a limeware platter in tutorial. Or try to remake tomb with Mentor's ring again. Which gives you +10 int and (lol) +10 willpower. A bottle of Flin is more powerful than that ring :M cranking up some monsters stats make sense, but it just makes you whack&stun them longer, and if you begin making enemies more difficult to approach in a "fair" combat, it just means player will engage in such combat less. It's gating content, well I also don't need it since I always enjoyed low level Morrowind and never rushed everything specifically.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
Well thing is, I can't say I suffered so much by lowering the price of all items by about ONE HUNDRED times. I played normally but just the amount of items and way you handle them means you end up with tons of cash anyway. Meanwhile, modders autistically argue over a limeware platter in tutorial. Or try to remake tomb with Mentor's ring again. Which gives you +10 int and (lol) +10 willpower. A bottle of Flin is more powerful than that ring :M cranking up some monsters stats make sense, but it just makes you whack&stun them longer, and if you begin making enemies more difficult to approach in a "fair" combat, it just means player will engage in such combat less. It's gating content, well I also don't need it since I always enjoyed low level Morrowind and never rushed everything specifically.

MWSE Harder Barter on its own pretty much fixes the economy, but the other big thing is editing Dremora/Golden Saints to use bound weapons or some such, so that they aren't a fountain of glass, ebony and daedric gear. Because yeah, even with items selling for 10% of their usual price, a few runs of some Daedric ruins will still have you swimming in gold. As for the Mentor's Ring - I actually quite like the recent mod that remakes that tomb. Not just because it's a little bit harder for new characters to get a good item, but because any dungeon overhauls are welcome in my eyes on account of vanilla dungeons being pretty plain and boring. Low level Morrowind is absolutely the best part of the game. Or, more specifically, low level Morrowind and the five or so hours after the player crosses the power threshold. Once you're too powerful for too long, it gets a bit boring, but that's why you should limit the amount of account you complete on any one character tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom