Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Ivan

Arcane
I do wonder though, how do you expand upon the gameplay loop in the next Doom? I wouldn't be satisfied with a simple player progression reset, they're better than that. I figure they will introduce enemies that necessitate specific use of the Ice Bomb, or maybe some that require the flame belch. Very excited to see how they tweak the loop in the next full iteration. Either way, we will always have this rollercoaster of a campaign.

Martin Hugo said they will evolve even further. Next game will be different than previous ones. He said Id hasn't made best Doom game yet.
Heard that, just having fun brainstorming about it. All in all, Doom's in good hands.

Caim

Arcane
Also disable sentinel Armor aka God mode (main campaign you can disable it, dlc they removed it completely it seems)
I thought the suits were just cosmetic. I'm playing with the classic Doom outfit. Does that do anything?
Sentinel Armor is an optional super-easy mode that greaty reduces all incoming damage. It's offered for the duration of one level if you've died several times on that level already. This has nothing to do with unlockable suits of armor.

HansDampf

Arcane
Yes, I remember now. That's disabled.
And I just finished Nightmare 100% anyway. Could have done without the glory kill challenges, like killing a demon from the side or behind. Sometimes the game decides, no, that glory kill wasn't from behind. Or the thing just dies and won't even stagger. Or the game makes me do a Blood Punch instead. Thanks, game.
Next are the Super Levels and then The Ancient Gods. Combat is most fun with full upgrades.

deama

Prophet
I recently tried playing doom eternal but I just can't get into it, it's just too slow! I also hate the glory kills.
I tried using cheat engine's speedhack, but for some reason that reduces the framerate down to 32 from 120, and if I disable the speedhack it caps the fps at 64? Only a restart of the game fixes this.

Are there any mods that speed the game up or has anyone managed to get cheat engine's speedhack working for it?

Oh and also, there's too few enemies, is there a mod that adds more enemy spawns?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't bother modding it. The game is not Doom take it for what it is or leave it.

Mobility improves with runes or whatever and the shotgun hook. If you play it on nightmare (and you should) the monster count is already high as it is, at least for this style of game (monsters have far greater mobility than they did in old Doom. More of them just means more chances for random instant death which will just make you frustrated).

I remember using a mod to improve movement speed and monster attack speed in Doom 3 but it didn't help much at all because of how cramped the levels were, so i ended up playing it like they intended it, slow and without ducktape mod. It was ok that way, though still pretty much shit.

It's much the same here. Game was designed for a certain play style you can't force old Doom into it. I myself ingnored this series and bitched and moaned until i tried Doom 2016 because i found it for like 3 or 4 bucks or something. Turns out the style is not too terrible, especially as far as modern shooters go, but i still prefer old Doom, especially because of the level design.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
5 hp is 5 hp, at least on nightmare.
Good, because I don't like this trend.

Actually not 100% true. there's something going on around <= 1 HP. I know for sure you get temporary iframes. I want to call it decline but I don't think it's that big a deal. iframes are not traditional to FPS but they are to other genres, and they're a nice last ditch chance when you are getting ganged on, which is standard in this game.

OK trying to remember further what I think happens is any damage that would kill you (0hp or less) instead takes you to 1hp, then you get a grace period of around 1.5 seconds (iframes), then further damage will kill you.
It IS pretty lame because whenever I noticed it happening I would spam flamethrower + chainsaw to guarantee some armor and possibly health. Chainsaw regen rate needs a minor nerf on Nightmare difficulty(which would also have the benefit of forcing you to use more of the four weapon groups instead of spamming your favorite two like I find myself doing most of the time).

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Having the purple goo be a weapon rather than something that stains the hallways between combat arenas is a massively better use of the stuff.

Deluxe Edition for almost 70 percent off on Steam, ended up grabbing it. Now just gotta decide whether to replay main game first or jump straight into the rape.

Oh fuck it, nevermind. Stupid faggot game won't even launch. Black screen for few seconds and then it just quits. I guess that's why it's on discount! Can't find any solutions so far. Might have to refund and wait for free version of DLC.

Make sure you check PC Gaming Wiki. There are some "crash before the menu" solutions there.

I already checked there, nothing useful.

Yeah fuck this, refunded. Wasted few hours trying every possible solution I could find. Serves me right for trying to pay for video game. Pirated version of main game worked perfectly so I'll just wait for DLC crack.

Last edited:
I don't think the game is known at all for crashing or having problems, it's generally regarded as a great PC version. Who knows what issue your PC is having with it.

Based on googling I'm definitely not alone in having this issue. And my PC had no problems whatsoever with pirated version.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Based on googling I'm definitely not alone in having this issue. And my PC had no problems whatsoever with pirated version.

Wasn't trying to get you all pissy, just saying every game has random issues for some people. It's not a game known to have a poor port with lots of issues for people, in my experience. Sucks you're having problems, who knows what it could be. I don't even think it has DRM beyond Steam, at this point.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Israfael

Arcane
Black screen for few seconds and then it just quits.
How many monitors do you have? Doom and some other games somehow occasionally start on my secondary monitor which makes it really hard to switch them to the first one as the other one is turned 90 degrees. Also, Doom is the only game that ignores the cloning settings in Windows - it never shows on the TV when the main monitor is cloned to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom