Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone did the Meditation quest chain with the mysterious Buddhist priest who keeps disappearing?

Sure. What's that you're interested in?

I don't the ending of the quest, the final quest chain you meet him on the outskirts of the city, and you barely get any info out of him. Is he imaginary?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
My personal theory on the Peralez questline.

Night Corp is using brain changing tech to control politicians in an attempt to take control of Night City, which Arasaka currently controls, while also using occult ideas to persuade Maelstrom members to host AI inside their own bodies as a way to try and control the streets. Gangs being an extension of Corp power (eg Arasaka and Tyger Claws).

Jesus, this is the techno-necromancers of Alpha Centauri. The ones with blue eyes. Gary is like Dude except he's wrong most of the time. Dude was always 100% right though. Except for neutrino headaches, probably.

I bet that the blue-eyed man is a proxy.

alyvain

Learned
I don't the ending of the quest, the final quest chain you meet him on the outskirts of the city, and you barely get any info out of him. Is he imaginary?

I don't know what counts as imaginary, because I don't know the rules of the setting and how poles are gonna play the new-agey stuff, which also includes the Tarot cards. Maybe they just act as "spirituality" flavour markers for the story, and this function is all that can be said.

But he left some stuff after him anyway, so it's not just a hallucination.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Peralez quest is definitely linked with night corp if you let Elizabeth guide you through her house you can learn that their law degrees were founded by night corp and sandra dorsett uncovered night corp experiments on mind control with the use of ai. Then there is the question of who programmed and equipped that cyberpsycho that attacks the town hall.

Just finally clicked that the main protagonist of Neuromancer is called Henry Dorsett Case. Homage upon homage.

Danikas

Arcane
Just finally clicked that the main protagonist of Neuromancer is called Henry Dorsett Case. Homage upon homage.
The whole parade in Japantown reminded me of this scene from Ghost in the Shell 2

photomode_05012021_089jkg2.png

photomode_05012021_08inkfx.png

photomode_05012021_09gnkik.png

photomode_05012021_09k6k27.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
An interesting take on CP:
I watched/listened to this a couple of days ago and it makes many of the points of criticism we've been making here. The retarded comparison to Witcher 3 is inteded to be provocative. Neither game is really an RPG, so comparing which one is s better RPG based on quantitative metrics like "more endings" is useless, which I think he aims to demonstrate.

Naraya

Arcane
Quest lines like Peralez one really make you stop and think. I love it. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure most of the crowd just goes F, F, F, next call, next gig without a second thought :( And I don't think it's CDPR's fault.

Danikas

Arcane
Quest lines like Peralez one really make you stop and think. I love it. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure most of the crowd just goes F, F, F, next call, next gig without a second thought :( And I don't think it's CDPR's fault.
Yep you can blow through this quest in like 20 mins (and most adhd retards will do this), meanwhile I spent 1h just looking at all the details put into their home and reading all the emails.

Same goes for this parade mission you can rush it and dont take in your surroundings or you can stand 5 min on the balcony and listen to hanako song.

ChildInTime

Learned
Yep you can blow through this quest in like 20 mins (and most adhd retards will do this), meanwhile I spent 1h just looking at all the details put into their home and reading all the emails.

Same goes for this parade mission you can rush it and dont take in your surroundings or you can stand 5 min on the balcony and listen to hanako song.

Yeah, that's where they took their inspiration from definitely.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't really pay attention to the story that much, but I believe his nomad clan was destroyed or he was permanently exiled (something like that).
Yeah, his clan sold out to a corporation, so he left the clan. V even uses the story of his clan as a warning to the Aldecaldo leader Saul not to repeat that mistake. There is always some sort of an excuse for V to be as disconnected from the world as the player is. Because, you see, "V is your character". That's the lame excuse we are to believe.

It's a pathetic and sad moment when a writer lies to the audience that he is doing something for story reasons while he is doing it for reasons of economy and to reduce the amount of work he needs to do on backstory and actual worldbuilding.

The end result is that while Geralt is the competent guide introducing the world to the player, in CP77 the player and the main character being both unfamiliar with the world, always end up needing an NPC guide - another disgusting trick. First it's Jackie, then Takemura and Judy are entrusted with introducing the player to the rules of the world. All this twisting and stretching of common sense for the dubious advantage of being able to say "our character is a blank slate"...

IMO a blank slate main character in an RPG works only as well as the opportunities for the player to fill out that blank slate are present. And for one reason or another CP77 lacks such opportunities. You barely have any quest C&C, interactivity between quests doesn't exist, at least on more than token level, the build system doesn't do anything to flesh out your character strong and weak suits - you are awesome at everything by default, you can't visually customize your looks except in the inventory screen via clothes, you can't see how your character reacts, gesticulates, all the weight falls on the shoulders of the voice actor.

I get the overall impression that for a game that serves you the marketing pitch that it focuses very much on the player's immersion in the role of his main character, Cyberpunk 2077 does awfully little in practice to enhance that feeling of immersion.

Naraya

Arcane
meanwhile I spent 1h just looking at all the details put into their home and reading all the emails.
Man, that was EXACTLY what I did as well! I'll be arranging stuff in my new apartment this year and I was looking around the penthouse because it had a really good taste that I'd like to use!

AwesomeButton

Patron
Also it's time someone said it - Witcher 3 does a better job at drawing a bleak dystopian world than Cyberpunk 2077. Apart from a few really dark main quest and side missions, 90% of the content ends up being "choomba blows stuff up". There was none of that feeling in Witcher 3. Instead bits of humor were mixed with the dark stuff so the player could get short breathers.

All the fixers cheering and praising how skillfully Overleveled Baby killed the bad guys, and making wiseass remarks. "Preem work V!" "Flicking over the deets!" Give me a break.

One of the first monster hunts in Witcher 3 has a guy whose brother was killed by spiders curse you and refuse to pay you because his brother died while trying to shelter the village's women in a cave so as to save them from being raped by Nilfgaardian soldiers. Good luck catching up Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station

The game's jankiness doesn't really help to be fair. eg I didn't know that Hanako song was even in game til just now. I wasn't given the option on my complete runthrough. Similar thing to many conversations - if you're running, you can break the trigger for NPC initiated dialogue to begin such as with the old man outside Wakako's parlour. I only knew there was something there because I forgot to pick up a shard and returned to find him giving life advice to Goro. There's a joytoy who has every indication of triggering a Johnny dialogue but I've absolutely no idea how or when it'll work, if ever. Combination of how CDPR have structured V's interaction with the open world and not bullet proofing the consequences for the way they've gone about it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One of the first monster hunts in Witcher 3 has a guy whose brother was killed by spiders curse you and refuse to pay you because his brother died while trying to shelter the village's women in a cave so as to save them from being raped by Nilfgaardian soldiers. Good luck catching up Cyberpunk.

This is just a side effect of 90% of the story content being in the main quests I think. The very rare times a side quest has some real story to it there are some interesting situations, like the war vet trying to make a bomb that you can talk down or not, the doctor lady that wants to save a gang member who kidnapped her, etc. There just needed to be WAY more of that, and there was not. A lot of the stupid text messages have "dark themes" in them, but since they're not really presented at all by the game nobody cares.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This here is for AwesomeButton, dude, you really wished for third person, someone just realized your wishes:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
ESL? Like Electronic Sports League? or English as Second Language? Sorry, I can't keep up with these zoomer insults.
Of course you can, only stupid and realized only for the second time.
I'm sorry, I'm retarded but I can't understand your english at all. How is that a reply to my quote?.

Confirmed ESL :)
I'm gonna fucking kick your zoomer ass if you don't tell me what ESL mean.

English as second language.

Quillon

Arcane
played the game with nomad and streedkid, now playing a corpo but very slowly, burned out I guess, anyway all lifepath specific dialog are cringe af; nomad lines are family this family that, corpo lines are literally saying "I used to be a corpo let me prove it with how I expertly understand this corpo-related issue" with every fucking line lmao, only streetkid lines are just a tad bit climactic cos sometimes it gives background info on NC, helps with worldbuilding

otherwise generally good writing takes a dive with this afterthought shit every fucking time and here I was saying that it was a good thing they took on only 3 lifepaths(and not 10+ backgrounds plus other shit Obsidian style) so they can flesh each out properly... such a let down. it really must be a clusterfuck of development hell this game was in

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
The whole parade in Japantown reminded me of this scene from Ghost in the Shell 2

photomode_05012021_089jkg2.png

photomode_05012021_08inkfx.png

photomode_05012021_09gnkik.png

photomode_05012021_09k6k27.png

And Here I thought you guys were clever and intelligent. Didn't you see I posted I watched Innocence last week.

Little slow....

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I get the overall impression that for a game that serves you the marketing pitch that it focuses very much on the player's immersion in the role of his main character, Cyberpunk 2077 does awfully little in practice to enhance that feeling of immersion.

Yep, CDPR trying to make a a 'blank slate - imeeershun' PC is an unmitigated disaster for their style of storytelling. Honestly I do not even understand this obsession with the above in an RPG. I got plenty immersed into Geralt (no homo) because Witcher has a great story, setting, NPCs etc. It looks to me like its mostly due to dumbfuck retadred Youtubers spending 3 hours in character customization tweaking the facial features and hair color of their protag that has now brainwashed a generation of gamers into thinking they have to be a special snowflake self insert in an RPG.

AwesomeButton

Patron
This here is for AwesomeButton, dude, you really wished for third person, someone just realized your wishes:
For what I actually had in mind as 3rd person, see Witcher 3 dialogues. I don't need 3rd person during gameplay. Also, this "mod" is weeks old.

AwesomeButton

Patron
the doctor lady that wants to save a gang member who kidnapped her, etc.
This one was one of the moments that gave me an RPG high. She wouldn't leave the building with me because of that patient, so being a merc, I put a bullet in his head. She fussed but started following me. I guess there would have been other methods too :D

Danikas

Arcane
This one was one of the moments that gave me an RPG high. She wouldn't leave the building with me because of that patient, so being a merc, I put a bullet in his head. She fussed but started following me. I guess there would have been other methods too :D
There are other gigs with reactivity like this:

My friend for example didnt see any of this because he didnt wake them up and ghosted without killing anyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom