Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Tyranny, a classic old-school cRPG -- Blind LP -- Make Terratus Great Again!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
What irks me is the plethora of lieutenants, commanders and sirs in the Bronze/Iron Age transition. One would expect lords, masters, great ones, legates, centurions and hegemons*, to name but the few titles/ranks that would be easily recognisable by the mass audience.

Good point. The fact that the technological level of the setting is lower than what's usually observed in fantasy is interesting. But in the end, it doesn't have many consequences and is easily forgotten most of the time.

To be honest, commanders and lieutenants would be out of place in a typical medieval setting too.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 22: Crying Out In Pain As He Strikes

Act 3 picks up right where its predecessor ended, with a visit from our esteemed colleague Calio, a Fatebinder of Tunon's Court.

cZj75Iq.png

3MYxu7G.png

Calio's got two directives straight from the Overlord xirself.

The first...

JZDSi5L.png

And the second...

68ftm7C.png

HRH Donald J. Trump, the Stormcaller, Archon of the Empire. It has a nice ring to it.

Of course, this now brings us into direct conflict with the other Archons seeking to rule the Tiers. We'll have to reach an understanding, so to speak, not just with Graven Ashe and the Voices of Nerat, but also with Tunon and Bleden Mark.

Before she leaves, Calio has one more message to relay.

EUdOXwy.png

Erenyos, who hasn't left our Spire yet, also conveys that Graven Ashe will want to speak with us in order to prepare for our final assault on Nerat, and figure out where we stand as allies.

7lmy6eb.png

pjfvaXx.png

In addition to the court summons, Bleden Mark has also sent us a personal missive.

9AXCyy4.png

I don't recall us ever doing anything to offend this cunt, so not sure why he's so eager to do Trump in. But he'll learn just like all the rest what happens when you cross the God Emperor.

We have a decision to make regarding where to start. Trump decides to answer Tunon's summons first. Once we know where we stand with the Court, we can deal with Ashe and Nerat.

Tunon clears the chamber upon our arrival.

xj9aJ8D.png

bRCRJDO.png
The pleasure is mine, Your Honor.

OevmcQ3.png
I first want to make it clear why we've assembled today. After the collapse of Vendrien's Well and the start of the civil war, it became clear to me that there must have been some great fault on the part of the Archons.

OevmcQ3.png
We come together to root out the source of our troubles, and determine which of the Archons has sown more chaos during the war.

There are some rumblings from the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus representatives in attendance, but Tunon shoots them a harsh glance and reasserts control.

OevmcQ3.png
Much has happened since I dispatched you on that mission. With Kyros' mandate that only one Archon may rule the Tiers, the verdict is now more important than ever. We cannot allow this conquest to descend into total anarchy.

Pm3aYIo.png

bRCRJDO.png
Ashe is not an easy man to follow, but I lent my strength to his cause.

AiFa0YD.png

We probably have enough dirt to make a case against either of them, but the main culprit is clear.

bRCRJDO.png
The Voices of Nerat, Archon of Secrets.

OevmcQ3.png
And so the charges are declared. I'm confident you've come with prepared arguments and research, as is expected of your station. In accordance to Kyros' legal custom, you will state the crimes against the Archon and offer up your evidence. The court will weigh your claims on their merits.

PScPBYE.png

bRCRJDO.png
Understood. I won't withhold any legitimate claims from the court.

toZ7Fnv.png

bRCRJDO.png
Yes. I'll back up my accusations with hard facts.

NBTtFIH.png

With all that pomp and circumstance out of the way, the trial begins in earnest.

yC8G3xN.png

Trump has evidence of every type to levy against Nerat.

He committed sedition by directly aiding the Vendrien Guard and Stalwart in their war against the Empire.
He was incompetent enough to allow his minions to turn the conquest of the Burning Library into a foolish game.
He committed war crimes by allowing his subordinates to capture and torture Disfavored soldiers.
And he hoarded forbidden knowledge by tasking his lieutenant with bringing him the Silent Archive in violation of Kyros' will.

After hearing all of the evidence, Tunon deliberates for a brief time, then passes judgment.

EMyEwXN.png

It's really an open and shut case.

lvYhC5M.png

Bq8xSDw.png

Bleden Mark instantly appears in a puff of smoke.

COspXiT.png

h1jczBE.png

If we're given the option, Trump is down to settle things with Nerat personally.

bRCRJDO.png
Actually, I'd like to carry out the execution myself.

Mark and Tunon both consent.

7ZzKHr7.png

Trump passes a death sentence on the local Scarlet Chorus solicitor for good measure. And with that, we're ready to get moving.

0ubVB7a.png

Trump travels to Iron Hearth to consult with Ashe. Now that we have an official sanction against Nerat, there's really no reason why we can't bring the full brunt of the Disfavored and crush the Chorus once and for all.

Ashe has his troops assembled and although he recognizes Trump as an equal, he fails to offer any assistance against the Chorus.

IAXfVzs.png

mHO3PuP.png

9bg2aWE.png

For an Archon of War this guy really doesn't do much fighting, but no matter. Trump is used to it at this point.

With that, the party makes for Cacophony, stronghold of the Scarlet Chorus and venue for our final showdown with Nerat.

After clearing out a few groups of Choirmen and Beasts defending the camp, we find the Voices seated casually on his throne.

2iqm7cx.png

BwUE3VG.png
For all the fealty to the Disfavored, has the Archon of War ever set you above his Northern inbreds? No. He would have sacrificed you ten times over to save some braindead grunt from stubbing his toe.

yZ1977L.png

Trump delivers the writ of execution, which even the spymaster himself didn't see coming.

bRCRJDO.png
No feast today, only your execution as decreed by the Court of Tunon.

bXA5GNa.png

BwUE3VG.png
It would appear even we have not seen all the way this might unfold. Well played, Archon -- it is a rare treat when we are actually taken by surprise. Your mind will go nicely with our collection.

BwUE3VG.png
What an annoyance you turned out to be. Tunon's court has a long history of regurgitating only the most insufferable, conceited agents. You are no exception, and you won't be the first we've dispatched.

With that, he's ready to throw down.

giYf2kk.png

The remaining Choirmen gather around to watch the festivities.

FWlW76e.png

The battle with Nerat is chaotic, with him frequently shapeshifting and summoning minions.

J2LXl50.png

TPe2NXz.png

He has high resistances and can tank quite a bit of damage, but eventually Trump's onslaught is too much even for an Archon to withstand, and Nerat falls.

6Zxf1pZ.png

OJsFvFE.png

BwUE3VG.png
Whatever the thoughtless rabble may whisper about this moment, don't delude yourself into thinking you are powerful, that you matter, or that someone out there isn't greater still.

BwUE3VG.png
We came from nothing. Our deeds defined us to the people, and the people knew us as a monster. Did you imagine we were always flames, voices, and secrets? Think on that, you Archon of misguided decisions.

bRCRJDO.png
I will heed your words, Archon.

BwUE3VG.png
At least you know the value of good advice. That will take you farther than any beaten trail, and it will bite deeper than any crude weapon of iron.

With that, Nerat enters into his death throes, and the Archon of Secrets is no more.

Re3211X.png

Cl0S1Rw.png

One down, three to go.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
I never worked for/with Graven Ashe, so it's interesting to see what it's like. Interesting, but not very tempting. The Voices of Nerat may be incredibly annoying, but Ashe seems to be incredibly boring.

Speaking of boring, the confrontation with the Voices of Nerat could have been a lot better. There should have been an epic battle where your allies would help you reach the Archon, or something like that. The fact that your party's all by itself and only has to defeat a handful of enemies before reaching the boss fight really lessens the impact of the whole thing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fact that your party's all by itself and only has to defeat a handful of enemies before reaching the boss fight really lessens the impact of the whole thing.

Wasn't this guy supposed to be commanding the BIGGEST ARMY in the land? And you just waltz up to him and knock him upside the head like it ain't a thang? FFS.

This game is profoundly stupid.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 23: The Deplorables

With the Voices of Nerat out of the way, Trump turns his attention to Graven Ashe.

We return to Iron Hearth to report Nerat's demise.

TMBOpOv.png

The game has hinted a few times that Ashe isn't physically well, and he nearly has a heart attack when he learns that Nerat is dead.

vfQq5Jt.png

Trump has thus far ignored the Archon's ill health, but now is the time to press the issue.

IKruRYf.png
Are you well, Archon?

Ashe is trying to put on a brave face, but he's clearly struggling.

Jg1Apqq.png

YKdH1u0.png

IKruRYf.png
I destroyed the Archon of Secrets.

AH5FWMy.png

You're not going to be subjugating anything, friend.

IKruRYf.png
We still have to settle the matter of Kyros' decree. Only one Archon may rule the Tiers.

ZtCrzxa.png

The God Emperor bows to no one.

IKruRYf.png
I haven't come this far to bend the knee.

iI96wt7.png

The old man is likely too proud to surrender, but Trump is willing to give him a chance.

IKruRYf.png
There is another way. You can bow to me.

3ERKuAv.png

Unproven? Motherfucker, we did all the work to complete this conquest while you sat here on your ass.

Still, Trump maintains his patience.

IKruRYf.png
Submit. I have proven myself the true General, and your army is mine to command.

2dbPmFi.png
YOURS? By what possible right, by what mad ambition do you challenge my... my...

TU4GVak.png

Hear that? It's the sound of him realizing that Trump is right. Still, the God Emperor is gracious in victory.

IKruRYf.png
Look at your troops, Ashe. You are their father, but I am their commander.

2dbPmFi.png
I... I am not ignorant to the wisdom of your words. They pierce me like a lance through my heart, but there is truth. This conquest has opened old wounds. At times, I have not acted the leader that my army deserved.

2dbPmFi.png
I was an accomplished warlord in the earliest days of the Empire. There was no fortress I couldn't breach, no distance I couldn't march... but the years have reduced me. I cared too deeply for my legion to see them suffer.

j3U85B6.png

All aboard the Trump train, baby.

IKruRYf.png
A wise choice. The Disfavored will see their honor restored under my rule.

With that, an impromptu ceremony is held to coronate Trump as the new leader of the Disfavored.

kdK9oKq.png

2dbPmFi.png
I submit to you. As your Archon I will obey your laws, carry out your orders, and protect whatever way of life you see fit to impose on the Tiers... and beyond.

2dbPmFi.png
You carry a heavy burden now. It is no small task to lead a legion. Their lives, and their deaths, are yours to bear.

2dbPmFi.png
At times... the strain was too much, even for the likes of me. Devotion claims a heavy toll, and over the years, it wore me down until...

He trails off for a moment, then regains focus.

a9jvuMj.png

IKruRYf.png
Our deeds will be known across all of Terratus.

2dbPmFi.png
The time has come to bring glory and triumph to this conquest. Go now and bring order to what remains of the Tiers. I will stay behind with the army -- training and preparing to carry out your will.

2dbPmFi.png
Remember, Archon... it isn't enough to slay your foes by the thousands. You must always remember why you fight.

So we're down two Archons, and up one army. I'd say this is going quite swimmingly so far.

All that stands now between Trump and final victory is the Court. We know that Bleden Mark will likely have to be killed, but what of Tunon?

Erebus

Arcane
I wonder if it's possible to get the Voices of Nerat to submit to you if you're allied to the Scarlet Chorus ? Given his personality, it seems rather unlikely (unless he intended to betray you afterwards).

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 24: Impeachment, Part Deux

Trump returns to Tunon's court to a much colder than expected reception.

p4XZhsn.png

Nq7ZUCB.png
You have made quite a name for yourself, Fatebinder. Stories of your deeds have spread throughout the Tiers and all of them have reached this court. Some actions have consequences. We will see what your actions have wrought.

prdOlEW.png

Trump's undefeated in kangaroo court, so let's get it on.

N6V6rMW.png
I expected as much. Bring on your charges.

B4zU8gT.png

N6V6rMW.png
Yes, Your Honor.

Nq7ZUCB.png
You are on trial for transgressing on the Overlord's authority -- breaking the laws of the Empire, bringing mayhem to an otherwise orderly conquest, and meddling in concerns that fell beyond your station. Our directive to bring Kyros' Peace to the Tiers has suffered, and you will answer for the part you played.

Fatebinder Calio chimes in.

0x5mLBF.png

This ought to be good.

R50NDtc.png

Nq7ZUCB.png
I first call your travel companions to speak on your behalf as witnesses to your character, or accomplices to your crimes. Who will speak on behalf of the Fatebinder?

Barik is up first.

Qk798RW.png
I've been treated with fairness and respect... as fine as anything the legion ever gave me. The Fatebinder trusts my counsel. I've never seen a finer, more upstanding member of the Court.

For a guy whose job it is to get the shit beaten out of him every day on our behalf, that's a pretty glowing recommendation.

Eb is next. If she wants revenge for being made our slave, this is the best opportunity she'll ever get.

do2vwcI.png
I wouldn't want to malign the Archon with careless words, so I'll keep this brief. I long assumed I'd die in some blaze of glory against the armies of the Overlord, but now I've accepted your Court as my master. And my stubborn opinion is not easily swayed.

Love is one way to gain someone's devotion. Threatening to throw them off of a very tall building is another.

Finally, Lantry gives his statement.

fRgD6Rj.png
I have had the honor and privilege of shadowing the Archon -- a dream come true for someone so eager to witness history in the unfolding. I can say with conviction, I am following greatness. And if required, I could produce my travelogue to back my claims. I have noted the good with the bad, and I think you'll find the Archon has been a force of order and balance -- exactly what you should want from a Fatebinder.

You're not so bad yourself, you old queen.

Tunon quickly keeps the proceedings moving.

8fQe34i.png

I don't think Tunon gives a shit whether we're pro-life.

N6V6rMW.png
Kyros didn't intend for the Edict to last forever.

Nq7ZUCB.png
No indeed, but there were conditions to be met, and you cheated them. You subverted the Overlord's will to suit your design. That cannot be tolerated.

Cheated is probably a stronger word than I would use, but he has a point.

3DZznMM.png

We have a pretty decent angle here.

N6V6rMW.png
Does Archon's Privilege not grant an Archon the right to administrate their domain as they see fit? Do not my Spires rise from the Oldwalls? Do not my senses flow through them?

Tunon pauses in consideration.

Nq7ZUCB.png
An interesting premise, albeit one that assumes a great deal about your station and the Spires.

Sounds like he bought it.

9N81g1b.png

4D chess.

N6V6rMW.png
I recognized the Archonn' corruption from the start. It was only a matter of time before they turned on each other, and I was prepared for that eventuality.

Nq7ZUCB.png
If you anticipated a failure on this scale, you should have informed me -- or else worked to avoid it rather than pit combatants against each other.

We tried to warn you, bro. Don't blame us -- blame whoever designed this retarded campaign.

With that, it's time for closing arguments.

fGvQvfr.png

Let's make sure everyone knows how bad ass we are.

N6V6rMW.png
The years have shown me that war and conflict can change the face of the Tiers. I am the hammer that pounds ore into a workable shape.

Nq7ZUCB.png
I see the conquest has left its mark. Thank you for your testimony, Fatebinder. I believe I have enough to make a ruling.

Here we go.

Nq7ZUCB.png
After weighing the charges, this court finds you...

Trump slowly eases his hand back to grip his warhammer, ready to strike as soon as the verdict hits.

6TMuorC.png

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, MOTHERFU---!

...... wait, did he say innocent?

WHMfVB3.png

IJ8mTTZ.png

u5OanUj.png

:shredder:

CDTMh4l.png

KwB4i26.png

h5bVbY2.png

I was prepared for the verdict to go either way, but Tunon going full MAGA is not an outcome that I would've ever predicted.

N6V6rMW.png
I accept. Together, we will rewrite law and lay the groundwork for a new empire.

Nq7ZUCB.png
My gavel, and my justice, are yours. I will execute your laws as you draft them, show mercy as you see fit, and bring to ruin all who would reject you.

Welcome to the resistance, buddy. :happytrollboy:

kwOFEh3.png

Just then, a shadowy figure appears.

qEeadkm.png

It's Bleden Mark. Something tells me he's not here to join in on the fun.

wKXWbYW.png

This "kid" shit has gone on long enough.

PVqrPwb.png

N6V6rMW.png
I'm not some kid. I'm an Archon now. You do understand who you're messing with, right?

Wqv1yqk.png

baoub9e.png

I don't know pal, sure feels like you have a grudge. But if he wants to make a smart choice and let the issue drop, there's always room for one more on the MAGA Express.

N6V6rMW.png
I can tell you've been waiting for this. And SHE told you this personally, did she?

rXcPcJT.png

Tunon offers his two cents.

fzK6hWO.png

rV7MOMC.png

Let's see if this joker is as tough as he's made out to be.

L4AzQpw.png

Mark is a pretty tough out. Similar to Nerat, he summons minions to help even the odds, and can also disappear in a puff of smoke and teleport to break engagement.

35lOYE0.png

Nonetheless, Trump and company are too powerful in the end, and Mark ends up on the scrap heap alongside the rest of the haters and losers.

eXIr2Lc.png

vIiXvDy.png

p8dcomb.png

Tunon's ready to swear an oath to Trump and make things official.

Re18wti.png

KPJdaaL.png

Nq7ZUCB.png
The time has come to take up the gavel and usher in a new age of structure and law to the Tiers.

He gathers the Court and its attendants to witness.

trxD2nx.png

N6V6rMW.png
Your loyalty and confidence are appreciated.

Nq7ZUCB.png
As the ruling Archon of the Tiers, I submit to your authority, and thank you for bringing order out of chaos.

eEGmW70.png

Nq7ZUCB.png
Let your justice know no mercy but that which you impose. Civilization itself will bend according to your design. Never forget this.

Trump likes the sound of that.

The retainers disperse, but Tunon has another piece of business to discuss.

Mm0bQA2.png

KaFqvOb.png

So the Overlord xirself wants a shot at the title also, eh? We'll have to oblige.

Tunon recommends we return to the Mountain Spire, where we can send a message to Kyros and the encroaching army.

After returning to base, Trump is poised to make our next (and perhaps final) move.

sggW27m.png

Do we report the success of our conquest to Kyros as a loyal servant?

Or do we fire off another Edict, obliterate the oncoming army, and proudly proclaim that there's a new sheriff in town?

You decide!

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tunon reveals himself as Ted Cruz.

With yet another trial by combat, Obsidian reveals itself to be absolutely devoid of self-awareness.

Is Bleden Mark supposed to be some kind of badass? Because he looks and acts like a clown.

Truth be told I have absolutely no idea why shit is suddenly coming down and why everyone wants to see Drumpf out but I guess life imitates art.

Let's try to remain loyal, even though I'm sure that this time it's not gonna happen.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 25: Make The Tiers Great Again

The atmosphere is tense as Trump approaches the Mountain Spire.

WBow3MO.png

QZfSi8h.png

Trump takes a moment to reflect on all that has come to pass.

x5QGXZD.png

6DH6J74.png

i4999C5.png

With that, Trump addresses the group.

Flnaq3d.png
I am the last Archon standing in the Tiers. It's time to send word to Kyros -- the conquest is complete.

Barik speaks up.

qaFSNdI.png

Take it easy over there, champ.

uBzdFDU.png

Trump takes a moment to ponder this.

Flnaq3d.png
I've been a Fatebinder long enough to know Kyros cares more about end results than principles. We have stayed more true to Kyros than you realize.

k2WDBiU.png

It's time to make our proclamation.

mDjPClF.png

Flnaq3d.png
In the name of Kyros, I, HRH Donald J. Trump claim the Tiers for the glory of the Overlord.

DfXQcZV.png

j1JEtQr.png

A short movie plays explaining that Kyros is told of our victory, and upon hearing our declaration of fealty, withdraws the legions advancing on the Tiers. The Overlord's conquest of Terratus is now complete.

Then we go into ending slides.

CMfr5iV.png

VbmmODO.png

cVvYD4h.png

lOdFmg9.png

f92r3Jy.png

6ZhwxAs.png

80JaTVw.png

xc7YB1T.png

OuBjGmO.png

c694dnx.png

zIDKiRX.png

c1e664q.png

Uxyc09n.png

K7jwNn3.png

MBhm8YV.png

y4IJdvX.png

eyKIcEO.png

f6Z6mev.png

HQo585r.png

vW3eOGq.png

vrksoMB.png

FQznL0p.png

VRD44au.png

fR37qCb.png

cEVT3xR.png

fe6bwDB.png

MT0jbCV.png

5xwZVju.png

ei5M4Ic.png

zfmwOaU.png

iqnY1VI.png
And just for giggles, here's an alternate ending where we tell Kyros to suck it and fire off another Edict.

vTUhDy9.png

XBS0raN.png

lC45OtN.png

6QCQRCq.png

tK5szQT.png

wJqvbZb.png

NgDjoqg.png

gWWO2Z2.png

yklqTM3.png

ksBs7cR.png
That's all she wrote, fellas. I appreciate anyone who took the time to read all this shit. It was fairly entertaining to write, so hopefully you guys got something out of it too.

I guess to summarize I would say that Tyranny wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but that's only because I had zero expectations coming in. If I had to say something nice about it, I would say the game had a few interesting ideas, made a solid attempt at creating meaningful C&C, and also sports some nice environment art and animations. But everything else ranges from unremarkable to amateurish to downright bad.

:2/5:

Tyranny's best contribution to the cRPG genre is probably as a case study to understand where it went wrong, so those mistakes can be avoided in the future.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wow, even the ending slides are boran.

Also is it just me, or did this entire end-game section, starting with getting promoted to Archon and ending here, felt abrupt as hell? Also, I still can't say I know what this game was actually about.

Great LP tho, had many laffs and facepalms.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Also is it just me, or did this entire end-game section, starting with getting promoted to Archon and ending here, felt abrupt as hell?

Yeah, it was extremely abrupt. I think they made a few big mistakes with the pacing throughout the game.

Act 1: The time limit was an interesting idea, but in this case it was so generous that you had plenty of time to do everything, literally with days to spare. If the time limit doesn't result in gated content then what's the point?
Act 2: They needed to trim at least 1 if not 2 maps from the Edict of Storms questline, which was a major slog, and trim one of the maps from the Edict of Stone questline as well.
Act 3: There should've been a long, multi-stage battle with your chosen enemy faction before the final boss fight. If you side with the Disfavored / Ashe you fight the Scarlet Chorus / Nerat, and vice versa. The rebel and independent paths fight them both.

I guess we're talking about putting lipstick on a pig here either way though.

Also, I still can't say I know what this game was actually about.

The whole premise is shaky from the word go, and the more you get into it, the more inconsistencies pop up.

It's ridiculous that Kyros would pair these two armies -- which obviously hate each other -- to conquer the Tiers when presumably the Empire has many others at its disposal.
It's ridiculous that the Fatebinder would be an active participant in either one of these factions' campaigns, when (a) we don't work for them and (b) we are supposed to be investigating them for treason.
It's ridiculous that Tunon would ultimately swear allegiance to us instead of Kyros when his entire characterization is that he literally doesn't care about anything except interpreting and enforcing the Overlord's law.

Also I didn't screenshot them all, but there's a long chain of missives between the main character and another, unseen Fatebinder named Myothis where they speculate on what the main character's rise to power means and what Kyros has planned for them.

It's implied that Kyros has always kept a watchful eye on people who show the talent to be an Archon, and frequently has Bleden Mark step in and assassinate them before they get strong enough to become a threat. There's also speculation that Kyros' power has something to do with the Spires and that's why people are forbidden from entering the Oldwalls. Yet the main character is both of these and for some reason, Kyros chooses not to intervene.

It ultimately creates a vague but discernable thread that Kyros is playing 4D chess and secretly engineered all of this to happen -- or at a minimum, is allowing it to continue -- as part of some greater, unknown scheme. That might've actually been an interesting story, but it's never really explored or brought to any kind of climax or conclusion. So all we're left with is a bunch of nonsensical decisions that make the people in the story look stupid.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
I think the anarchist path (allying with nobody) is ultimately the most satisfying one. In the other three (even the one where you ally with the rebels), you feel like an errand boy throughout all of Act 2. And since Act 2 is more than half of the game...

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also didn't Obsidian ran out of money (provided by Paradox since they were publishing) while working on this? Could explained how some parts seemed unfinished

Tigranes

Arcane
Also didn't Obsidian ran out of money (provided by Paradox since they were publishing) while working on this? Could explained how some parts seemed unfinished

AFAIK it was always meant to be a low-budget spin-off w/ Paradox $, Icewind Dale style 'let's use all the POE work to relatively cheaply put out a different game'. So it never needed to sell a huge amount. I don't know how it fared relative to that expectation.

The whole premise is shaky from the word go, and the more you get into it, the more inconsistencies pop up.

It's ridiculous that Kyros would pair these two armies -- which obviously hate each other -- to conquer the Tiers when presumably the Empire has many others at its disposal.

[...]

It's implied that Kyros has always kept a watchful eye on people who show the talent to be an Archon, and frequently has Bleden Mark step in and assassinate them before they get strong enough to become a threat. There's also speculation that Kyros' power has something to do with the Spires and that's why people are forbidden from entering the Oldwalls. Yet the main character is both of these and for some reason, Kyros chooses not to intervene.

It ultimately creates a vague but discernable thread that Kyros is playing 4D chess and secretly engineered all of this to happen -- or at a minimum, is allowing it to continue -- as part of some greater, unknown scheme. That might've actually been an interesting story, but it's never really explored or brought to any kind of climax or conclusion. So all we're left with is a bunch of nonsensical decisions that make the people in the story look stupid.

I actually thought when I started playing Tyranny that the setup is marvellous and this could be an incredible, unique game. Alas, they couldn't handle it. It's like a serialised novel (or webcomic) that starts with a clever conceit, but then the author can't figure out how to actually resolve it.

The idea that you are an agent of the big bad Empire is great. The idea that you never actually meet the overlord, but you do his bidding, is great. The idea that such an overlord then needs to carefully manipulate his best generals, and if necessary pit them against each other, in order to maintain control is great - and also very plausible given history. Early game largely does really well to take the player through all this.

And then it breaks down spectacularly: it's like you got Avellone or whatever to write the plot up to there, then he is replaced with a 13-year old who likes Naruto. Instead of political intrigue based on that setup, finding out more about Kyros, finding out really clever double-triple-quadriple deceptions laid in place, and so on, it just devolves into... go find Super Powerful Hyped Up Guy, punch him in the face (or tell him what a badass you are), and they immediately bend over and suck your cock. Most disappointing has to be the scary mysterious Judge who laughs in the face of these powerful generals and maintains Kyros's will despite all comers, and if you go the independent path, you just show up at his door, say you're a badass, and he just turns everything over to you.

Gruncheon

Savant
Thanks for playing so I didn't have to, Zanzoken. People seem to have taken the view that the game has promising ideas, but is ultimately a write-off. I think this is basically correct, but I can't bring myself to dislike the game. I always tend to prefer an interesting failure to a polished mediocrity - if you compare this to PoE I think Tyranny's clearly the more interesting, worthwhile game. I'll at least remember things about Tyranny, when I try to evoke Pillars in my memory there's just a kind of green blur.

There's a lot to like here, and it's clearly trying to do something different to its comparators in the genre. I'd love if more RPGs dealt with questions of political philosophy, administration, statesmanship and this is at least slouching in that direction. Some of the concepts like the Edicts are cool as well. I don't know how much of this is just the lingering germ of Avellone (RIP) but I think there's a lot to like and there's a theoretical Baldur's Gate 2 kind of sequel to be made realising the potential of this first game.

Separately, I cannot understand why the art direction in the slides and the promotional art is so bad. Its cartoonish, characterless and completely at odds with the tone of the game. I actually think this is the biggest failing of the game because a good aesthetic could really tie the whole thing together and sell the concept.

Bara

Arcane
I think he gets out of his armor if you have one of the dlcs? In true Paradox fashion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom