Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
- Game (Brutal Legend) wasn't a particularly good game - Not true.

The incoherent and messy RTS battles that looked like a retarded/console version of Sacrifice say hi. Then there are the special powers that require a rhythmic mini-game to be done EVERY TIME, even while under fire. Or how the bad guy is only fought ONCE despite all of the build-up he had in the story.
The RTS part was the only bad part of the game, and they tooke up only 30 minutes IN TOTAL in a 10-15 hour game.

Maybe they're trying to get the platforming to actually be good this time?

The original has a nice story and interesting style to it, but on a gameplay level it was a pretty bad platformer. That's really an aspect they should get right this time around if they want to keep it in that genre instead of makes a pure adventure game.

I'll admit that platformers aren't my strong suite, so could you tell me more on this? Where did Psychonauts go wrong, and how?

I haven't played it since it first came out so I can't give you any particulars. I just remember it feeling really stiff, and movement not being all that great. Like in comparison to most every 3D platformer on the N64 before it, the handling of the character just wasn't good.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Is anyone even excited about this?
I wouldn't say excited but I enjoyed the first one and assume that I'll enjoy the second one. I'll never forget the Little Miss Gamer video about the first one and how it finally got me to play and appreciate it. There's a bit of nostalgia there for me.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Is anyone even excited about this?
I'm not excited about games anymore. I just want to play them if they interest me. And Psychonauts 2 interests me because it looks and feels like the original and I loved the original.

Me too but I just don't think that Tim Schafer has the same youthful, frivolous, creative touch anymore that made Psychonauts such an outstanding masterpiece. But who knows... Maybe the old dog still has some tricks up his sleeve.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wtf he was still writing it until now? I thought the game is almost ready and they are polishing it.

They are. This is called 'polishing the writing'.

Note that the two lines shown are generic <Farewell>-lines. Even they have to be written and recorded, but they can also wait until pretty late in development.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
“Psychonauts 2,” the sequel to Double Fine’s cult classic 3D platformer, does not have a release date officially announced as yet beyond a vague 2021 marker.

However, Microsoft’s Xbox servers briefly allowed Game Pass players to download it in advance earlier today [May 5th]. As of now though, that ability is no longer there.

The brief electronic gaffe does suggest the game – one of Microsoft’s few first-party titles for the year – is almost ready to be released and could arrive sooner than anticipated.

Speculation is now rife that it’ll be dropped during Microsoft’s E3 presentation in June. The game will come to Xbox Series X & S, Xbox One, PC and PlayStation consoles.

(Also, fuck Infinitron.)

Last edited:
I feel an impending dread about this game, because although I can’t help being super excited to play it the logical part of my brain is highly skeptical that Tim Schaefer can release anything of worth anymore.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I feel an impending dread about this game, because although I can’t help being super excited to play it the logical part of my brain is highly skeptical that Tim Schaefer can release anything of worth anymore.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

The first game was ahead of its time. The second...if it will be a good repeat of the same formula, I'll be ok with it. Tim could always do his worlds well, but not sure if we'll see any new cool mechanics like THE BAAAAALLL

I don't know that I would say the first one was ahead of it's time; in terms of gameplay it's basically just a clone Ocarina of Time (although you're right that levitation was, as far as I know, a unique gameplay element), but imo it was the top-tier writing from Schaefer and Wolpaw that it made it something truly special.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm starting to think that Psychonauts 2 is actually coming out in June. That video is just one of several that will be dropped this month.

Infinitum

Scholar
I don't know that I would say the first one was ahead of it's time; in terms of gameplay it's basically just a clone Ocarina of Time (although you're right that levitation was, as far as I know, a unique gameplay element), but imo it was the top-tier writing from Schaefer and Wolpaw that it made it something truly special.

Well, the writing and how relentlesly original the latter half of the game was. Only weakish levels I can think of past the fish boss are the theater and meat circus (and arguably the asylum itself). Every other level was an instant classic in its own right. Combat was meh. Platforming was occasionally ok.

Shame that the first half of the game feels like an extended tutorial, but the character nteractions and writing carries it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom