Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In Witcher series Geralt's animations are all-too-frequently predefined poses he repeats on many occasions. See the outstretched-pointing-hand gesture that V does as well. Having more elaborate scenes is incline in c77.
I agree, but I think with time the repetetiveness by itself starts to give him character. His way of looking at people started growing on me.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Good ol' Jensen would simply follow the investigation to find the Illuminati or rogue AI cabal or whatever it is hiding in the hole.

The difference between good and bad is in things you show and don't show. Peralez quest line works precisely because that you can't really do anything. It is the Lovercraftian approach. Your options are just to break their dream of being independent or let them be oblivious to it.

If follow up was some cabal of 3 guys sitting in chair or computer face with nuke codes no one would care about this quest same reason why no one really cares about DeusEx ending but they do care about what is following up to it.

My disappointment comes from how crudely the investigation part stops right after the hook. I would settle for "loose ends tied" chop-off. You really do have very clear clues of where to go next on the computer, so if feels very stupid when you receive a phone call with threats and then nothing. So I assume V decided it's really not his business, after all? If instead you went through the office, found the chief and when talking to him he suddenly dies with his brains melting or, alternatively, does not remember what the hell you're talking about, that would be a little more satisfying.

Lovecraft actually took great care to tie up loose ends, for example, in Whisperer in Darkness, you can't photo the Mi-Go, the recordings of the voices the protagonist sends back to Akeley (or brings them with him on his visit, I don't remember), the brain in a jar disappears when the police comes. Contrast that with a) a computer loaded with emails pointing at security firm chief; b) a motherload of the experiment details in the van; c) unhinged Peralez still being unhinged and remembering shit at the end of the game. Very shoddy job for the all-powerful Illuminati.

It's PKD-paranoid-cold-war-era stuff. What's not to like?
Mainly, the sloppiness of execution by the quest designer who did not bother to properly finish it. I like the themes, sure.

You get a phone call where he gets all unhinged and delusional.
I remember that and it highlights how you, the player, have literally done nothing after finding the secret room with a computer and a van full of clues on how to go on. How does that feel satisfying to you at that point?

nimateb

Augur
Just finished this after 30 hours, did half of the side quests. I liked the game, never seen a single video in the 8 years of development and had 0 hype, thought the game was fun, the writing ranged from good to acceptable, the shooting was ok, solid 8.5/10 for me. Heard there's a secret ending, may try that after a year of patches / add ons.

typical user

Arbiter
witnessing Mr Blueeyes observing V and Perelez

Where? I've only connected the dots between the mayors assassination and Peralez issue which sheds new light on cyberpsychosis or Maelstromers. Also this is the unfinished part as we can't follow up on the NCPD investigation or interrogate River's colleague for more info.

Peralez quest is so good because it feels like it could be main story for this game. Or maybe it was? It would mesh very well with Max-Tac forcefully recruiting cyberpsychos as they are part of NCPD.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Finally got around playing all the endings now... yeah...
Most suffer from a weird difference between the ending itself and the vid calls during the credits that do not really match it.

The Arasaka ending aka "lol didn't do any sidequests lol they are not essential lol" is just depressing as fuck. Like spending 30 mins watching a terminal cancer patient being pushed in a wheelchair towards his execution. Slavs sure love their depressiv shit. Not gonna lie, I got slightly wet eyes. From a fly that got in of course.
Vid calls when you go back to earth don't match that decision, but whatevs.

The Avocado ending is, at it is now, the only "good" ending taking vid calls in account. But getting there is... stupid. The faction known for smuggling, stealth and ambushes decide to charge headlong into the fray in their Lada Nivas. Instead of riding in the tank, which Mitch tells you is actually and APC. Sure, why not.
That whole ride is just to give the consoletards their awsome action where you press buttons and awsome things happen. None of the named death had any impact on me, the moment the new guys were introduced I knew they would kick the bucket. And after Mitch badmouthed Saul, the only question was: do I have to shoot him or will he die somewhat "heroically"?
Then of course the tacked on "6 month left" crap. As if the Avocados would find a solution somewhere in the desert... At least the vidcalls were happy.

The Johnny ending: since V practially begged Johnny to take the body I expected a "V becomes a rockstar" ending. Fuck no. Johnny slacks away in some shitty apartment, has no money, no car, and runs away like a pussy. Not even having the balls to call V's friends and say goodbye. After watching Judy cry for minutes I expect her to go out like Evelyn as well. Fuck you Johnny.
Panam said all that needs to be said in her temper tantrum. :argh:

The "Space" ending was the best IMHO. At first I thought V wanted to go out with a bang, but Mr Blue Eyes says "you woudl do anything for a chance to live"... Considering that he is an alien AI I assume he can indeed heal V. AltF4 Cunningham knew shit about human bodies, so she lacked the ability to do so, but those AIs live among the humans and have shown in the Perelez quest they know how to manipulate the human body.
The Rogue role in it was... okay I guess. I knew she would go out with a bang the moment she switched of the lights in Afterlife. She had an unhealthy obsession with him and was apparently fed up with the quiet life. :salute:

Best ending is of course the secret one followed by the above. You get the cake AND Rogue lives. Best deal.
Except Judy ditched V. WTF, she just said she would wait for her 5 mins ago. :hahano:

And Takemura's call of course. Sad.
TLDR: It's not the Mass Effect 3 clusterfuck, but still trying to hard to be edgy and failing.
:2/5:
Two trolls, would not watch again.

Bliblablubb

Arcane

Where? I've only connected the dots between the mayors assassination and Peralez issue which sheds new light on cyberpsychosis or Maelstromers. Also this is the unfinished part as we can't follow up on the NCPD investigation or interrogate River's colleague for more info.

Peralez quest is so good because it feels like it could be main story for this game. Or maybe it was? It would mesh very well with Max-Tac forcefully recruiting cyberpsychos as they are part of NCPD.
When you talk to Perelez at the end in the park. Mr Blue Eyes is on the balcony 50 meters away from you in the distance. If your toaster is up to it, you can see his eyes when zooming in. Your gun also moves away when aiming at him, because he is "protected" by the game.

AFAIK Maelstrom had no hand in the mayors assassination, aside from being payed lackeys at best. The puppet masters are the "aliens with their strange eyes", meaning the AIs in human bodies, like Mr Blueeyes. Maelstrom is just trying to get on the good side with the AIs behind the blackwall, like Lilith (AltF4 Cunningham). The same thing the Voodoo Bois are trying to achieve using V.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
I am in talks with the music department. Director of music. This is on the back burner shall we say.

As they have a lot to go over!!! Music is is being added to the list.

This is my last post in a while.

Hopefully when they have Cyberpunk where they want it the music will also

be used better and new tracks created. I look at it from a film perspective.

Good Luck Guys!

CDPR a day from now: Normally we don't comment on rumors but this time we wanted to make an exception as this story is simply not true.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Funfact: in my game calling Jackie was buggy. Never got anything.

Now that I started a different game ignoring most of the mainquest I found out that V can tell him about her recent exploits.
Like his funeral. Talking about his death with Misty. The aftermath of the heist.
It's basically a phone call diary/therapy for V. Sad.
:negative:
Fuck you game for breaking it the first time around. :argh:

DeepOcean

Arcane
People have been comparing police subcon work icons with bandit camps and monster nests. Apart from the few "organized crime activity" icons, the majority of the instances of this activity have nothing on Witcher 3's bandit camps or monster nests, which always had some context and a reason to be where they were.
This comparison people make is just fanboy copium riddled logic that omit the details, while the monster and bandit camps got old but A: you are a monster hunter so pest control makes sense for you to do, B: It is stabilished on the fiction that monsters are real danger when you get far from the cities so an empty woodland wouldnt make sense, C: Different monsters have different behavior what slightly changes the fight from each monster nest, D:The game happens on a war period where people are miserable and the law basically broke out so bandit camps on some wilderness places make sense and is useful to show how those bandits make the life of the people even more miserable.E: Most impórtantly, they are just a side diversion on the road towards decent content while THEY are the content on Cyberbug.

On Cyberbug:
A: You are a dying merc that used to do shit for money, you are not a cop or a vigilante, you are not better than the choobas you gonna boom-boom, why blow them up? Because the NCPD pays a mediocre sum of money for you to exterminate whole gangs?
B: You are dying, you shouldnt be wasting time with that nonsense even as side content and the side content should be about you investigating Arasaka trying to come with a plan or you seeking allies to help you. I mean, if the side content were about you trying to build a reputation to convince some higher ups at Militech to help you fuck Arasaka, build a reputation with Arasaka Saburo loyalists with Goro or build a good reputation to recruit other solos and hackers for a big showdown,while avoiding Smasher as he tries to fuck you up for good, that would make sense. The game just gives you all the answers you need on a silver platter and an easy path to the end while all side content is relegated to street trash clean up, the main story and side content live on worlds of their own never making a coherent world. On Witcher 3, there are characters that show up or not on Kaer Mohen for the big fight to help you depending of what you did on the side quests. Why that couldnt be replicated? I mean, that ole Bioware trope of lets build alliances for the big showdown with the big bad would make sense here.
C: You are a merc trying to make a living by doing jobs for fixers but they only hire you to go choomba boom-boom even at maximum street cred, so, was this that Morgan Blackhand did to become a legendary solo? Kill gangers all day?You were supposedly to get better jobs with higher street cred.

Man, I feel bad for the people that worked hard on this game, it is obvious the management had no fucking clue of what they were doing and the moments where the game is good, like Night City itself, it was more despite the management than because of it. It is the same bullshit that made Fallout 3 a joke while New Vegas is a decent game, on one, the company just throws shit around with no care, only thinking on the marketing value this will bring, on the other, the team tries as hard as it can to create a coherent world. CDPR management was more interested on the marketing campaign than on the base quality of the game, they were smelling their own farts too much after Witcher 3 thinking any garbage they would make would be amazing. They fucked up badly then, on desperation, tried to salvage something to release, fucking half of the main campaign and whole important parts of the story were spoiled on fucking marketing material, that is how thin the game is in content.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter

When you talk to Perelez at the end in the park. Mr Blue Eyes is on the balcony 50 meters away from you in the distance. If your toaster is up to it, you can see his eyes when zooming in. Your gun also moves away when aiming at him, because he is "protected" by the game.

AFAIK Maelstrom had no hand in the mayors assassination, aside from being payed lackeys at best. The puppet masters are the "aliens with their strange eyes", meaning the AIs in human bodies, like Mr Blueeyes. Maelstrom is just trying to get on the good side with the AIs behind the blackwall, like Lilith (AltF4 Cunningham). The same thing the Voodoo Bois are trying to achieve using V.

Nah you got my post wrong. Maelstromers have so much chrome it is easy to use radio-waves or some sci-fi shit to manipulate them. That's why they protect the ninjas evacuating from the car. The cyberpsycho also fits well since they are chromed too and one was sent to attack mayor only to be stopped by River Ward. I didn't say any Maelstrom set was involved in Rhyne's death. (BTW There is even a full cutscene in the trailers, in the game you have BD filters and forced perspective). I actually think they are not aliens or AI. It's just Johnny fucking with you for the lolz or going paranoid from the situation he can't understand with his small digital rockerboy brain. If the AI is so powerful why they target Peralez instead of Blackwall? I think this is just some megacorp trying to get the edge. Since there is no evidence that it could be an AI. The messages in the control-room between the teams are too human. Or too put it simply this is just too much to the point if the AI angle was true it would feel like some absurd anime going deeper than it needs too.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
That's why they protect the ninjas evacuating from the car.
I thought there was a mail saying there were just hired help. But I might remember it wrong.

The cyberpsycho also fits well since they are chromed too and one was sent to attack mayor
I haven't done all the sidegigs, nor finished the cyberpsycho quest, so maybe it get explained. But, I remember the Maelstrom ritual,
where they cyberpsycho was a result of a womyn diving in too deep into the blackwall, trying to communicate with Lilith. So maybe, MAYBE, the whole cyberpsychosis thing is actually the result of AIs taking over, either gone wrong.. or just angry AIs. We'll never know. Sad.

If the AI is so powerful why they target Peralez instead of Blackwall?
No you misunderstand: they are AIs from BEYOND the blackwall invading visiting our {{{{safe spez}}}}. They target Perelez to get de facto control of Night Shitty.
Delamain also is one of those, but he got hacked by some guys from yurop to make him docile. Until you fix it.
Remember what the Netwatch guy and Maman Bitch said: the blackwall is just a broken window with a garbage bag over it, AIs taking over is unavoidable, so they try to make a deal with the devil.

typical user

Arbiter
That's why they protect the ninjas evacuating from the car.
I thought there was a mail saying there were just hired help. But I might remember it wrong.

The cyberpsycho also fits well since they are chromed too and one was sent to attack mayor
I haven't done all the sidegigs, nor finished the cyberpsycho quest, so maybe it get explained. But, I remember the Maelstrom ritual,
where they cyberpsycho was a result of a womyn diving in too deep into the blackwall, trying to communicate with Lilith. So maybe, MAYBE, the whole cyberpsychosis thing is actually the result of AIs taking over, either gone wrong.. or just angry AIs. We'll never know. Sad.

If the AI is so powerful why they target Peralez instead of Blackwall?
No you misunderstand: they are AIs from BEYOND the blackwall invading visiting our {{{{safe spez}}}}. They target Perelez to get de facto control of Night Shitty.
Delamain also is one of those, but he got hacked by some guys from yurop to make him docile. Until you fix it.
Remember what the Netwatch guy and Maman Bitch said: the blackwall is just a broken window with a garbage bag over it, AIs taking over is unavoidable, so they try to make a deal with the devil.

I didn't see any emails implying anyone is hired help. Except for the PR campaign manager Lea who was fired once Jeff started to ask why is she still around when she died or something. Also why go with all the hoops to extract those guys working at the Antenna? You would also expect AI wouldn't be as sloppy as to provide different roses on a picture or forget they implanted some fake memories. That gal from Maelstrom could be thinking she reached rogue AIs but it could as well be a virus from *them*. Also I don't think she is related in any way. Just the fact that some people go crazy for no reason since they have huge amount of mods in their brains making them easy targets for hostile takeover. Some psychos are unrelated like the veteran in destroyed apartment stealing pills who suffers from war in South America. But Lizzy Wizzy could be part of the same scheme as Peralez. She is also acting weird and only Mike Pondsmith knows how much chrome she has in her body.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Many missions in this game make you wonder if it is supposed to be an unsolved mystery or they simply ran out of time to continue it. Like the Lizzy Wizzy mission. I thought there would be a follow up? No? Oooookay then.

But, a lot of things actually make more sense if you play the game a second time, with more meta knowledge. Like Garry the prophet. All his ramblings about vampires, werewolves, techno-necromancers, strange eyes, Lilith etc make a lot of sense. In a way. But by the time you could connect the dots, you are 80 hours further and don't remember shit. Sad.

So.. that is basically what gives this game replayability? Seeing Panam and Mitch arguing in the Afterlife, witnessing Mr Blueeyes observing V and Perelez...

Welp, something to look for when you replay the finished game in a year I guess. :obviously:

There's a lot of details that you appreciate in a second playthrough, the most obvious and popular one is Judy being in the bar next to Evelyn when you meet her for the first time. There's also some missions that offer C&C, the maelstrom one is probably the most complex one in the entire game (No wonder why it was used to advertise the game in the 2018 gameplay). Unfortunately, this bits of changes and possibilities are hidden between a lot of static content. For the most part and for what I experienced, there's no much reasons to replay the game with a new character leaving aside enjoying the story again.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Many missions in this game make you wonder if it is supposed to be an unsolved mystery or they simply ran out of time to continue it. Like the Lizzy Wizzy mission. I thought there would be a follow up? No? Oooookay then.

But, a lot of things actually make more sense if you play the game a second time, with more meta knowledge. Like Garry the prophet. All his ramblings about vampires, werewolves, techno-necromancers, strange eyes, Lilith etc make a lot of sense. In a way. But by the time you could connect the dots, you are 80 hours further and don't remember shit. Sad.

So.. that is basically what gives this game replayability? Seeing Panam and Mitch arguing in the Afterlife, witnessing Mr Blueeyes observing V and Perelez...

Welp, something to look for when you replay the finished game in a year I guess. :obviously:

There's a lot of details that you appreciate in a second playthrough, the most obvious and popular one is Judy being in the bar next to Evelyn when you meet her for the first time. There's also some missions that offer C&C, the maelstrom one is probably the most complex one in the entire game (No wonder why it was used to advertise the game in the 2018 gameplay). Unfortunately, this bits of changes and possibilities are hidden between a lot of static content. For the most part and for what I experienced, there's no much reasons to replay the game with a new character leaving aside enjoying the story again.

Well, for me one incentive to play it again COULD be a mod that removes item level scaling and sets enemy difficulty basing on type, equipment (combat bots way more dangerous then most humanoid enemies for example, cyber-enhanced enemies stronger then mooks) and maybe somewhat affiliation (Militech guys more adept then common gangsters) rather then area. That'd be a big improvement.

Zer0wing

Cipher

Well, for me one incentive to play it again COULD be a mod that removes item level scaling and sets enemy difficulty basing on type, equipment (combat bots way more dangerous then most humanoid enemies for example, cyber-enhanced enemies stronger then mooks) and maybe somewhat affiliation (Militech guys more adept then common gangsters) rather then area. That'd be a big improvement.
You missed the one tiny detail - cut arond 99% of the stats from regular clothes, modification slots for armor improvement is already enough. And having actual armor on top of that, too. Also, weapons should be much deadlier on unarmed or wearing unmodded clothing non-chromed regular enemies. Second will be replacing Damage Resistance to Damage Threshold+some minor DR on top of that to ease on the balance while still being much closer to tabletop game ruleset.

Ya'know, I'm shocked to see that Fallout 4 is a lot more sophisticated in armor department than this supposed official continuation of mighty CP2020 with such emphasis on deadly combat.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A: you are a monster hunter so pest control makes sense for you to do, B: It is stabilished on the fiction that monsters are real danger when you get far from the cities so an empty woodland wouldnt make sense, C: Different monsters have different behavior what slightly changes the fight from each monster nest

A: You are a dying merc that used to do shit for money, you are not a cop or a vigilante, you are not better than the choobas you gonna boom-boom, why blow them up? Because the NCPD pays a mediocre sum of money for you to exterminate whole gangs?

B: You are dying, you shouldnt be wasting time with that nonsense even as side content
Yeah, I've mentioned all of those things, some of them quite a while ago. The weirdness of how good and nice everyone is and how V is somehow the local hero helping the police who thank him was one of the first things that struck me as odd.

Reaching for the trope of the dying protagonist who "races against time" is so cheap in how it relieves the writer of the need to craft a real motivation for the protagonist doing the things he does - to save your life is the ultimate justification for every act the protagonist carries out, whether it's noble, evil, greedy or stupid. This trope also backs the writer into a corner because it either has to conclude the story with the character dying or if the hero saves his life, the writer has just postponed the moment where he has to present this character's motivation to live the life he lives and do the things he does. In CP77 it's so shallow - the first 6 hours V is in this life "to make a name for himself" whatever that means, and the rest of the game he is "racing against time to save his life".

But CDPR misses an important prerequisite for such a trope to work, and perhaps this was the place of the "6-month montage". For the news "you're dying, V" to shock the player, the player has to first develop a connection with that character which is in no way the case by that time. That's why Red Dead 2 serves you the bad news when you are about half way through the game and have had ample chance to grow fond of Arthur. But "half way through RDR2" is far longer time for the player-game protagonist relationship to stew than Cyberpunk's first 6 hours. The 6 month motage either represents a big cut of main story, or we're seeing a major oversight on the narrative team's side.

Edit: come to think of it, when as a writer you aren't allowed to constantly tell the history of your protagonist, as his current predicaments are unfolding, because someone decided that "You is V", "V is you" but "Thou shalt have 3 backgrounds" or whatever, what else are you left with, except reaching for b-movie tropes? If we would be learning V's backstory as the game was progressing and this would explain why he ended up in the mercenary business - what happened to his family, who were his friends, how did his young years pass - then maybe the player would have cared more, and maybe there would be a better motivation provided for V than "I wanna get rich and famous".

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

You missed the one tiny detail - cut arond 99% of the stats from regular clothes, modification slots for armor improvement is already enough. And having actual armor on top of that, too. Also, weapons should be much deadlier on unarmed or wearing unmodded clothing non-chromed regular enemies. Second will be replacing Damage Resistance to Damage Threshold+some minor DR on top of that to ease on the balance while still being much closer to tabletop game ruleset.

Ya'know, I'm shocked to see that Fallout 4 is a lot more sophisticated in armor department than this supposed official continuation of mighty CP2020 with such emphasis on deadly combat.

Yeah, armor system should be revamped too. Mostly by removing scaling as well (so a bulletproof vest should naturally have a way higher Armor rating then a t-shirt).
Change No 1, easiest to implement, would be to remove the ability to stack multiple mods of same type in a piece of clothing (4 x Armadillo!). Changing how clothing/armor DR/DT works is also desirable, of course.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Edit: come to think of it, when as a writer you aren't allowed to constantly tell the history of your protagonist, as his current predicaments are unfolding, because someone decided that "You is V", "V is you" but "Thou shalt have 3 backgrounds" or whatever, what else are you left with, except reaching for b-movie tropes? If we would be learning V's backstory as the game was progressing and this would explain why he ended up in the mercenary business - what happened to his family, who were his friends, how did his young years pass - then maybe the player would have cared more, and maybe there would be a better motivation provided for V than "I wanna get rich and famous".
They backed themselves into a corner because of marketing, they made a big deal of the different backgrounds, if they were making the backgrounds so shallow and short, then the right call was to invest it all on street kid as it is the only background that truly makes sense even based on the way V talks and behaves with you already knowing Jackie and you doing alot of shit with him before Silverhand even showing up.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
There's also some missions that offer C&C, the maelstrom one is probably the most complex one in the entire game
That mission is such a textbook Bethesda press demo showoff to con journalists into thinking there would be a lot of C&C in this game.

Especially the Nomad choices make no sense, since they should be available to everyone, yet feel hamfisted in to show "meaningful lifepaths choices".
Only if you are Nomad you can talk to Jackie about the bike. And get a tech check to advise him to pimp it. Why Nomad AND the tech check? I guess it was tech check for everyone and they just fucked the script up.
Meredith goes on and on and on and on about the mole, but ONLY if you are a Nomad, who has asked her if she has a job in convoy escort, can TELL her who the mole is afterwards. Everyone can read the mails, but only Nomads can remember names I guess.

Similarly only the Corpo knows about the virus on the cred chip, yet everyone can try to hack the cred chip. With no skillcheck of course. Sure, why not.

Royce/Dumdum or Brick getting a cameo later is... not really meaningful.

I am not shitting on the game, I appreciate WHAT they did, but by hyping that mission back and forth is part of the unmatchable expectations they created. Epecially since most of the missions are linear compared to this.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Some psychos are unrelated like the veteran in destroyed apartment stealing pills who suffers from war in South America.
Actually a major part of the Cyberpsycho quest is that most of them are in fact not real Cyberpsychos. Just PTS, snapping, drug abuse, etc.
As I said, I haven't finished that quest, so maybe the reveal is that there is no real Cyberpychosis. Probably better not to get my hopes up tho. :hahano:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
This trope also backs the writer into a corner because it either has to conclude the story with the character dying or if the hero saves his life, the writer has just postponed the moment where he has to present this character's motivation to live the life he lives and do the things he does. In CP77 it's so shallow - the first 6 hours V is in this life "to make a name for himself" whatever that means, and the rest of the game he is "racing against time to save his life".

39c6705d50c8e1917d2ce3ca39db4179o.png

:argh:

:negative:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
They backed themselves into a corner because of marketing, they made a big deal of the different backgrounds, if they were making the backgrounds so shallow and short, then the right call was to invest it all on street kid as it is the only background that truly makes sense even based on the way V talks and behaves with you already knowing Jackie and you doing alot of shit with him before Silverhand even showing up.
The whole story of development which we'll probably never hear in its entirety seems to be a story of solving the puzzle "What can we cut from the original vision without formally breaking any promises", with the caveat that they conceded having to roll back some of the promises.

The only way to do justice to these "backgrounds" in a game wih CP77's production values (shards text can't save you here) was to develop three different protagonists and then develop all the reactivity to make their different reactions to the plot plausible to the audience.

Like having Witcher 3 with three possible witchers each with their own character and moral compass. I guess CDPR realized this somewhere along the way, and the only option they had left was to cut the backgrounds content, parrot the pitch that "the player is V" and hope that not many people would notice the inconsistency. Of course few people can describe it, but most do feel it.

The other game we all think of that did backgrounds was DA:O and unsurprisingly it was a much more directed experience than the open world. "Open World and narrative driven" is already a pipe dream, but when you add "playable character origins and reactivity to those origins" it gets insane :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom