Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

EldarEldrad

Savant
My cock tastes good.
TemplarGR -
fakenews.png

So what, Templar, his cock doesn't taste good? You didn't like it?
The sacrifices that Templaroglu has to make in the name of science... :M
Who told you that i haven't studied all there is to study about vaginas? Dicks and vaginas go hand to hand anyways, there is no point in studying one without the other, faggots.
Oh my, vaginas. That greek boy seems to forget about our adelphopoiesis. Templar, come here, filthy heretic!

Current favorites:
  1. Wizardry 7
  2. Grimoire
  3. Baldur's Gate II
  4. Underrail
  5. Divinity: Original Sin
  6. Pillars of Eternity II
  7. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  8. Planescape Torment
  9. Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail (original)
  10. Might & Magic X
5/10 list.

Learned
Personal Top 3:

1. Deus Ex
2. Fallout
3. Arcanum

Seven more in no particular order to make it a top 10:

4. Bloodlines
5. The Sith Lords
6. New Vegas
7. Torment
8. Divine Divinity
9. Fallout 2
10. Gothic 2

Honorable Mentions:

Temple of Elemental Evil
Alpha Protocol (damn shame I almost got filtered by its hacking tutorial sans a controller)
Gothic
Risen
ELEX
Anachronox (the only "JRPG" that belongs in this thread)

I should play more games.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Not when it is about women :lol:. Women are made to crave attention and it is the highest currency for them!

Well, for me it's about the legacies of the RPGs I cover. This isn't about me, it's about the RPGs. I want JA2, ToEE, Swordflight etc. to get more attention.

I haven't succeeded as yet, but the masterplan is coming together.

The more views I get, the harder I'll push. I won't sell out, I promise.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
0 Fallout 3 (you fight the good fight with your voice on the radio)
1 DA2 (best encounter design)
2 Numa (best prose)
3 Mass Effect 2 (best visceral rpg elements)
4 Oblivion (best sequel)
5 Gothic 3 (best combat)
6 Outer Worlds (best new franchise)
7 BG3 (best companions)
8 Wasteland 2 (best stock unity assets)
9 Diablo 3 (best rpg character levelling system)
a DX:IW (best ammo system)
b Skyrim (the npcs saying interesting things as you pass them by)
c Redguard
d Andromeda (npc facial expressions)
e WoW (so much better than single-player games)

In order of preference, though at this time I've played them to death and it's not fun remembering what happens next all the time. Like with music.

0 PS:T
1 Fallout 2
2 Arcanum
3 VtMB
4 Disco
5 New Vegas
6 BG2
7 Underrail
8 AoD
9 Fallout
a Witcher 1 (nostalgia?)
b Witcher 3
c DXHR

Actually DXIW isn't that bad as a storyfag game.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
  1. Planescape: Torment
  2. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (without Throne of Bhaal)
  3. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (the Remaster is complete garbage in my eyes)
  4. NOX
  5. Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
  6. Revenant
  7. Kenshi
  8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords
  9. X-COM: Enemy Unknown
  10. Gothic
  11. Expeditions: Conquistador
  12. Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Borderline stuff I feel I should add because they tickled me in a funny way, with explanation as to why:

• Torment: Tides of Numenera - literally the only video game that has made me angry. I am generally a very patient and understanding man.
  • Underrail: It was fun killing things with my mind.
  • Cultist Simulator: A card RPG with Lovecraftian influences. I value unique and hard worked ideas.
  • Academagia: The dissapointment of realizing they only did year 1, out of 4.
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - for making me realize that a soul divided by love is no weaker than one strenghtened by hatred.

and

• Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - for teaching me that attention whores come in 2 flavours. The true artists that command attention through their hard work and talent. And the posers that strip cheaply for a crumb of attention.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
  1. Planescape: Torment
  2. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (without Throne of Bhaal)
  3. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (the Remaster is complete garbage in my eyes)
  4. NOX
  5. Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator
  6. Revenant
  7. Kenshi
  8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords
  9. X-COM: Enemy Unknown
  10. Gothic
  11. Expeditions: Conquistador
  12. Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Wow, what a mish-mash. Seems to me you have no genre pedigree whatsoever, lmao

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is correct. I dislike not being able to adapt to anything thrown my way. I consider that you define your taste by experiencing a lot of things. And varied.

I'm not attacking you, by the way. Your taste and the way you enjoy your hobby is yours. I was just explaining myself and talking.

DaveO

Erudite
I won't post any more games on this list. Five is sufficient, and again I believe INFLUENCE is far more important than my personal rankings on those five I have already mentioned.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Influence doesn't point to quality.

Indeed, quite the opposite. Often, the devs keep running with bad ideas: inertia.

Take for example the Elder Scrolls: post-Daggerfall, its influence has been pernicious.

Oblivion With Guns is the prime example.

Conversely, the masterpieces stand alone like monoliths; they can't be imitated or built-upon because they are the quintessence, the purest form.

Liluran commentary is careful to not emphasize influence: I rank games based on what they are in themselves rather than what they brought about / what was resultant.

It's harder to talk about the game itself than it is its influence or biography (dev cycle). Because you actually have to play the game and understand it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I won't post any more games on this list. Five is sufficient, and again I believe INFLUENCE is far more important than my personal rankings on those five I have already mentioned.

I have to agree with Lilura on this one, influence is just a matter or having some success at the right moment, when technology is taking a leap forward or when the masses are starting to take a renewed interest on video games (Diablo & BG fits the criteria)

Dark Sun or Prelude to Darkness, on the other hand had limited influence because they never hit the mass market.
Dark Sun could have, had it been released a couple of years later benefiting from a technology leap.

Just imagine Dark Sun in a ToEE-like engine without the bugs, it would have been massive incline (Prelude as well for that matter)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Just imagine Dark Sun in a ToEE-like engine without the bugs, it would have been massive incline

Greyhawk > Dark Sun. Greyhawk is elite D&D for grognards, the best D&D campaign setting by far. In concept, ToEE had it right all the way. ALL the way.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
In no particular order but my top 10.

Divnity II Dragon Knight Saga
Divine Divinity
Morrowind
Risen 2
Pillars of Eternity 2
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Oblivion
Witcher 1
Legend of Grimrock

Deadyawn

Learned
1-Morrowind
2-Gothic 2
3-Arcanum

The rest are in no particular order:

Gothic
Fallout
Fallout 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
System Shock 2
Kenshi
Risen

Deleted member 7219

1. Fallout New Vegas
2. The Witcher 3
3. KOTOR 2
4. Morrowind
5. The Witcher 2
6. The Witcher
7. Trails of Cold Steel
8. Trails of Cold Steel II
9. Pillars of Eternity
10. Jade Empire

The top 6 are permanent. The remaining 4 will change - they might disappear from the top 10 and others may come in depending on this or that. There's a lot of honorable mentions like Trails in the Sky, Trails in the Sky 2, Fallout, Fallout 2, Torment, Age of Decadence, NWN2, MotB, Tyranny, Disco Elysium, Vampire Bloodlines, KOTOR, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Shadowrun Hong Kong, Risen, Gothic 3, Pillars of Eternity II, Final Fantasy X, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Ni No Kuni... too many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
You shouldn't have the ability to post here until you learn the definition of a CRPG. People need to stop counting strategy/tactics games and point and click adventures/ visual novels as CRPGs. Then we can talk about taste.
It's the Codex, no one knows the definition. It could be renamed: "Codex of People Who Don't Know the Definition of a CRPG".
I remember a few of serious(tm) threads in the past with codexers trying to produce one. No success so far.
And yes, you are welcome to use the idea for another trolling thread.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
1. Divinity Original Sin 2
2. Divinity Original Sin
3. Arcanum
4. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
5. Divinity 2
6. Dragon Quest VIII
7. Alpha Protocol
8. Pendragon
9. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
10. Legend of Grimrock 2
11. Fallout 2
What is "Pendragon"? I only know of King's Arthur Pendragon, a great pnp system. I'd love to see a good adaptation, dreams...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You shouldn't have the ability to post here until you learn the definition of a CRPG. People need to stop counting strategy/tactics games and point and click adventures/ visual novels as CRPGs. Then we can talk about taste.
It's the Codex, no one knows the definition. It could be renamed: "Codex of People Who Don't Know the Definition of a CRPG".
I remember a few of serious(tm) threads in the past with codexers trying to produce one. No success so far.

Except this is a tired meme and not true at all. It has been long establsihed that RPG's are games where the stats are more important in gameplay than your twitch reflexes.

The dividing line to strategy games is that RPG's are more personal stories, with a single character or a small party. In some cases, the dividing line between strategy and RPG is blurry, such as Jagged Alliance or FTL.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
What is "Pendragon"? I only know of King's Arthur Pendragon, a great pnp system. I'd love to see a good adaptation, dreams...

It's a mixture between storytelling, gameboard and tactical combat. The atmosphere and the art are wonderful and the challenge curve is just right.

Take a look here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240050/Pendragon/

My game of 2020 :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom