Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Paul_cz

Arcane
Absolutely, it means the crunch was for nothing and now most people think you are lazy or incompetent
You are delusional if you think "most people" actually think that.

Renevent

Cipher
Absolutely, it means the crunch was for nothing and now most people think you are lazy or incompetent
You are delusional if you think "most people" actually think that.

It's not only delusional but out right false. First and foremost, they got 150% base pay during the crunch, that alone is better than imaginary twitter points. They're also still getting bonuses from the release (it sold very well). In a few months/patches the game will be stable and from a tech perspective it's a good accomplishment. Any company these people will be going to from CDPR will be more than impressed that they worked on a game of Cyber Punk 2077 scale.

The people hee-haw'ing and pretending to feel bad for the engineers who worked on the game are out of their minds.

Danikas

Arcane
Moments like this are the best thing about this game sitting down and talking with Takemura about his past, campfire conversation with Panam or this song.

Just wish there was more of this stuff in the game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You have all these hand placed legendary class armor sets in the game that are a remnant from times when the game was still supposed to have classes, I guess. As it is, anyone not familiar with the p&p game will have a hard time understanding what the heck a "solo set" is.

Like I've said before, moving away from classes is massive decline.

Instead, what we got was a wildly unbalanced skill tree with the best perks based around quick hacks and crits.

The absolute state of "RPG" systems in the modern era.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I don't know if it's already been posted, apologies, if so. So I've been checking out the Cyberpunk 2020 Humble Bundle out of interest for the tabletop and look what I've found in the Corporation Report 1 book from 1991:
upload_2021-1-8_0-14-5.png

Looks like the ol' dog was ready for this download shit even back in 2020!
And as for young Yorinobu from 2020:
upload_2021-1-8_0-14-26.png

Turns out the guy was the same as Johnny. Hey, no wonder Johnny hates him so much :lol:.
Also, Saburo had another son back then but he was removed from the 2077 setting to simplify the story beats. As far as I understood, 2020 setting has some significant differences with what they've cooked up for 2077 but it's still nice to see familiar names in the books.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, there were some retcons here and there, but CP2077 is quite respectful to the source material - no wonder since Pondsmith was onboard the whole time.

One detail that is off in Johnny´s flashbacks that has me wondering is the role of Thompson (the media guy who rescues Johnny after Alt´s abduction). In the game, Johnny beats the shit out of Thompson when Alt dies and later tells you that he doesnt even know what happened to Thompson afterwards, since they never worked together again. In CP2020 rulebook, Johnny simply asks Thompson to stop recording, which he does, and then shoots the Arasaka guy who had Alt kidnapped (thus ruining Thompson´s plan to force the Arasaka rep to admit to what Arasaka does with the Soulkiller tech and broadcast the whole thing). Thompson then participates in the bombing of Arasaka tower, he is on Johnny´s team (there are three teams going in and Johnny is not the main guy by any means) and even cracks some jokes about how Johnny ruined his plan back in the day (see the Firestorm Shockwave sourcebook 2).

I wonder why did they axe Thompson like this? Did they just want to have Johnny to beat the shit out of him for "shock value?" It seems like kinda weird decision tbh, but w/e.

The other significant retcon is Shaitan (the dude who gets shot while manning the autocannon on the helicopter before Johnny takes over. In Firestorm Shockwave, Shaitan is a full on cyborg, who is an equal to Adam Smasher and ends up pinning Smasher down in close combat after Johnny sacrifices himself to get Smasher´s attention (Johnny gets cut in two by Smasher´s full auto shotgun in the book). In the game Shaitan is just some dude who gets like five seconds of screen time.

just

Liturgist
Moments like this are the best thing about this game sitting down and talking with Takemura about his past, campfire conversation with Panam or this song.

Just wish there was more of this stuff in the game.

i'm not ready yet for 1st person gay sex scene

alyvain

Learned
I wonder why did they axe Thompson like this? Did they just want to have Johnny to beat the shit out of him for "shock value?" It seems like kinda weird decision tbh, but w/e.

I've got a hunch they wanted to go with an "unreliable narrator" trope, but lost it somewhere on the way, but maybe it's just that messy

Sòren

Arcane
Yeah, there were some retcons here and there, but CP2077 is quite respectful to the source material - no wonder since Pondsmith was onboard the whole time.

One detail that is off in Johnny´s flashbacks that has me wondering is the role of Thompson (the media guy who rescues Johnny after Alt´s abduction). In the game, Johnny beats the shit out of Thompson when Alt dies and later tells you that he doesnt even know what happened to Thompson afterwards, since they never worked together again. In CP2020 rulebook, Johnny simply asks Thompson to stop recording, which he does, and then shoots the Arasaka guy who had Alt kidnapped (thus ruining Thompson´s plan to force the Arasaka rep to admit to what Arasaka does with the Soulkiller tech and broadcast the whole thing). Thompson then participates in the bombing of Arasaka tower, he is on Johnny´s team (there are three teams going in and Johnny is not the main guy by any means) and even cracks some jokes about how Johnny ruined his plan back in the day (see the Firestorm Shockwave sourcebook 2).

The other significant retcon is Shaitan (the dude who gets shot while manning the autocannon on the helicopter before Johnny takes over. In Firestorm Shockwave, Shaitan is a full on cyborg, who is an equal to Adam Smasher and ends up pinning Smasher down in close combat after Johnny sacrifices himself to get Smasher´s attention (Johnny gets cut in two by Smasher´s full auto shotgun in the book). In the game Shaitan is just some dude who gets like five seconds of screen time.

i kinda hating talking about the story and characters because it's such a mess and there is not much to it. but in this case, a couple of conversations in game make obvious that what u see is not things that actually happened, but how johnny wants them to be remembered. with him as the hero.

JustMyOnion

Educated
I've actually thought about that right before Alt said it. Johnny was basically the writers looking up narcissistic personality disorder on Wikipedia and turning that into a character. It explains how in his "memories" he can literally one-shot the entire Arasaka security detail through walls with his pistol.

But I still wouldn't rule out retcons for certain details.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, the "unreliable narrator" angle certainly makes sense (I almost forgot about that line said by Alt), and certainly does make Johnny look like a pathetic and malicious tard:

- Thomson saved his life and acted respectfully towards him when he could see he was hurt by Alt´s death, he deals with that memory by smashing Thomson´s face in his mind and then just wiping him out of the story

- Shaitan is the actual cool Rambo dude who fucks shit up, so he imagines him as a mook who goes down five seconds after shooting starts

- Bombing of Arasaka tower is an actual military operation backed by Militech (yes, Johnny, the paragon of "Fuck the corps" movement actually had Militech commandos as a part of his team), but he imagines it as some revenge trip that he sets out on right after walking out of a concert

I wonder if I am not giving the writers too much credit here, but if this is the intention they had, I would say its pretty cool.

Danikas

Arcane
Yeah, the "unreliable narrator" angle certainly makes sense (I almost forgot about that line said by Alt), and certainly does make Johnny look like a pathetic and malicious tard:

- Thomson saved his life and acted respectfully towards him when he could see he was hurt by Alt´s death, he deals with that memory by smashing Thomson´s face in his mind and then just wiping him out of the story

- Shaitan is the actual cool Rambo dude who fucks shit up, so he imagines him as a mook who goes down five seconds after shooting starts

- Bombing of Arasaka tower is an actual military operation backed by Militech (yes, Johnny, the paragon of "Fuck the corps" movement actually had Militech commandos as a part of his team), but he imagines it as some revenge trip that he sets out on right after walking out of a concert

I wonder if I am not giving the writers too much credit here, but if this is the intention they had, I would say its pretty cool.
In that scene when Alt gets kidnapped he thinks its all about him even when Thompson says its about soulkiller and Alt he still thinks it was all about him and she got kidnapped only because she is his girlfriend.

Sòren

Arcane
idk. panam's romance was so realistic that it was uncomfortable. like a girlfriend simulator. textmessages and stuff. to say that the game has a hint of genious would be too much, but some people working at CD certainly knew what they are doing.

alyvain

Learned
Yeah they were going for that if you listen to this alt line.

Sure, that's what I based my assumptions upon, but it's not a developed theme anyway.

I do believe that the chip corruption may have to lead to Johnny's memories being particularly rough around the edges, while the personality is preserved and is left to fill the gaps. Or not. It is never addressed properly. We do know that the chip is not intact after the heist, and it's actually getting worse (hence, the insertion) but what does that actually mean to Johnny we can't be sure.

JustMyOnion

Educated
On the other hand, "that guy who's an asshole on the surface? Well if you dig deeper, you might find out that he's a super asshole" isn't much of an interesting twist.

Vatnik Wumao
Yeah they were going for that if you listen to this alt line.

Sure, that's what I based my assumptions upon, but it's not a developed theme anyway.

I do believe that the chip corruption may have to lead to his memories being particularly rough around the edges, while the personality is preserved and fill the gaps. Or not. It is never addressed properly. We do know that the chip is not intact after the heist, and it's actually getting worse (hence, the insertion) but what does that actually mean to Johnny we can't be sure.
Well, even in real life, memories tend to deteriorate over time since what you are recalling is not an event, but your previous held memory of it. So in the case of a corrupted engram, it would make perfect sense that the missing data would be replaced with memories that complement Johnny's personality and view of himself.

alyvain

Learned
Well, even in real life, memories tend to deteriorate over time since what you are recalling is not an event, but your previous held memory of it. So in the case of a corrupted engram, it would make perfect sense that the missing data would be replaced with memories that complement Johnny's personality and view of himself.

Right, that's what I think. But now we have only some circumstantional evidence to Johnny's being an unreliable narrator (Alt's single line and some weird retcons), and the influence of the chip's corruption is only a guess. For all we know everything may be just wishful thinking, especially given the miserable state of the game. Maybe some of the DLCs will clarify this.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Isn't Johnny the one who unintentionally killed Alt's human aspect (or prevented her from returning or something like that) by disconnecting her body during that first rescure mission? Maybe that, coupled with being in digital storage for ages fubared his personality and memories.

Too bad this game doesn't commit enough to it's various narrative threads and themes, for the most part.

Vatnik Wumao
Isn't Johnny the one who unintentionally killed Alt's human aspect (or prevented her from returning or something like that) by disconnecting her body during that first rescure mission?
Yes, but he didn't know that Alt was out of her body and he remained ignorant of this fact all the way to becoming an engram.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Isn't Johnny the one who unintentionally killed Alt's human aspect (or prevented her from returning or something like that) by disconnecting her body during that first rescure mission?
Yes, but he didn't know that Alt was out of her body and he remained ignorant of this fact all the way to becoming an engram.
For some reason I thought he either found out or was told by Saburo to torment him or something, guess my memory is no better than ol' Silverhand's :D

Vatnik Wumao
For some reason I thought he either found out or was told by Saburo to torment him or something, guess my memory is no better than ol' Silverhand's :D
I could be wrong myself, but I don't recall the game implying that Saburo or someone else had told him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom